AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2016-09-18, 11:25   Link #1
Cloud87

Any tips on how to meet older people who are gamers & otaku like me

& yes I'm including Final Fantasy fan/huge fans too as well i don't know if Liddo-kun on here knows what i meant or understand what am i asking so i thought of asking everyone on here too as well & see if you have any tips for meeting older people who are a gamer & a otaku like me & yes I'm including Final Fantasy fan/huge fans too as well if it makes any difference i will gladly tell you too as well just in case you don't know or forgot that I'm 28 years old & in December I'll be 29.

& I'm just wondering if you have any tips,advice &/or any suggestions on how to meet older people who are gamers & otaku like me & yes I'm including Final Fantasy fan/huge fans too as well and MOD if it's in a wrong section then please feel free to fix it thanks and thanks for your tips,advice & suggestions and thanks for your understanding and thanks for your help and like I've told Liddo-kun on here i admit I'm a bit nervous if i ever go to my first con since I've never been to a anime con before and i will admit I'm also a bit nervous of buying the stuff there if i have enough money.

If you want to know more I.E why i might get a little nervous then feel free to ask thanks again for your time & thanks again for your understanding and thanks for reading .
Cloud87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-18, 18:27   Link #2
jdennis007

have you tried the old foogies home, you can usually find us in our rocking chairs with our controllers in our arthritic hands. You should clarify your age bracket a bit better though, I am in my late 40's and I am not even the oldest member here.
Honestly the best places to meet other people such as ourselves is anime conventions or comic book stores, it depends on where you live.
I found that wearing a shirt from my favorite series will get people to start talking to me.
Old 2016-09-18, 23:09   Link #3
TinyRedLeaf
Feeling comfy

I've been a regular player of Final Fantasy XIV for the past three years, and as the number under my userid suggests, I'm very much in the "older people" demographic.

I presume you're talking about meeting and talking to older gamers in real life. I don't have any specific advice for this, other than to remember that older gamers are just ordinary people, too. Meaning to say, if you're polite and sincere, I don't think it's necessarily harder to talk to them than another person.

As for online communication itself, as a rule of thumb, I do not pry into the personal details of other players. Neither do I offer any personal details of my own, unless I know the other player very, very well. The first assumption is always that any player's involvement in an online game will be short-lived, so it's best to keep the communication to just within the context of the game itself.

And, oh, I find that people who type in full, grammatical sentences generally come across as being older, and more mature.

This has not hampered my ability to develop camaraderie with the few FFXIV players I've kept in regular contact with over the past year. Again, the golden rule is always to be polite and respectful. That will always win you friends, no matter how old they are.

Last edited by TinyRedLeaf; 2016-09-18 at 23:40.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-19, 10:27   Link #4
VORTIA

I'm in my 30s, and I have all sorts of anime/nerd friends my age, older, and younger than me.

Making friends isn't hard - just go out to places you are interested in, and more than likely they'll be others there that share your interest.

Like anime? Attend the local anime con. Attend theatre showings if you're lucky enough to get them in your area, etc.
Like video games? Go to the local arcade. Join a small-time fighting game tournament.
Like table-top games? Head down to the friendly local game store!

Don't be afraid to advertise! By this I DON'T mean coming up to every person you meet and weebing all over them, but I do mean - wear an anime shirt, or get an anime cell phone case, or something else visible that lets your fellow otaku see you and know that you're one of them. You'd be surprised how many people will come up to you and say "Hey! Cool shirt! I love that series!" no matter how obscure a character it is!

The most important thing is simply to get out and be visible. Engage with people who appear to have a shared interest, and things will work out for the best!
VORTIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-19, 10:46   Link #5
Cloud87

Quote:
Originally Posted by VORTIA View Post
I'm in my 30s, and I have all sorts of anime/nerd friends my age, older, and younger than me.

Making friends isn't hard - just go out to places you are interested in, and more than likely they'll be others there that share your interest.

Like anime? Attend the local anime con. Attend theatre showings if you're lucky enough to get them in your area, etc.
Like video games? Go to the local arcade. Join a small-time fighting game tournament.
Like table-top games? Head down to the friendly local game store!

Don't be afraid to advertise! By this I DON'T mean coming up to every person you meet and weebing all over them, but I do mean - wear an anime shirt, or get an anime cell phone case, or something else visible that lets your fellow otaku see you and know that you're one of them. You'd be surprised how many people will come up to you and say "Hey! Cool shirt! I love that series!" no matter how obscure a character it is!

The most important thing is simply to get out and be visible. Engage with people who appear to have a shared interest, and things will work out for the best!
Thanks for the tips,thanks for the advice & thanks for the encouagements
Cloud87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-23, 17:20   Link #6
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

There's a surprisingly large amount of anime fans; Myself included (30s).

I don't want to advertise other sites out of respect for animesuki, but I've met people from in their 40s to even in their 60s from other sites.