AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2016-02-24, 14:16   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 817 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Alrighty, guys! Break's over, and our first spoiler pic is out:

-Chapter title is "Raizou of the Mist". Splash is a color page advertising the upcoming Film Gold.

-As we take a brief glimpse out at sea, we quickly discover that yes, Jack is alive. However, he did not make it through his encounter with the marines unscathed, as he's wearing bandages (however, he doesn't look badly wounded, either). Meanwhile, back at Zou, Kinemon expresses his thanks to the minks....

-It looks like in the middle of the conversation, both the mink leaders get ready to fight again. However, Momonosuke stops them, saying that his real father would be saddened at the sight of them bickering. As the Straw-Hats get confused by his words, the samurai finally come clean: Momonosuke is not Kinemon's son. He is, in fact, son of the great daimyo of a place in Wano called Kuri, Kougetsu Oden! His status as a daimyo's heir means that not just the samurai, but even both Inuarashi and Nekomamushi are subordinates under him....!!!!

-After the shocking reveal, the group sets off to meet the missing Wano ally. We're soon introduced to the ninja, Raizou the Mist! But what's particularly interesting about this encounter is the area where the minks concealed the ninja: Near a poneglyph. Robin notices that this particular glyph, unlike the past ones she encountered, is colored crimson. Inuarashi tells her that it's because this glyph serves "another purpose" different from the rest, and also notes that he's aware of the history of both Ohara and Robin. Afterwards, it looks like the chapter ends with Raizou impressing everyone with a bunch of ninja tricks (like kage bunshin, and such other techniques).

Last edited by marvelB; 2016-02-25 at 15:10.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-25, 01:52   Link #2
marvelB

No fully translated summary yet, but in the meantime:

Spoiler for 817:
Old 2016-02-25, 05:26   Link #3
necrolyte

^I'm not the one to say such a thing but damn isn't he ugly
necrolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-25, 05:35   Link #4
marvelB

From the other pics I've seen of him, Raizou actually reminds me of a cross between Crocus and Gedatsu. Still, it's not like I ever expected Oda to take a leaf from Kishi's book and make his own ninja a generic pretty boy!

Anyways, as far as the truth about Momo goes.... well, I think now it's quite clear as to why people like Dofla and Kaidou wanted him so badly (I imagine they'd have quite a bit to gain if they held a feudal lord's son hostage.....).
Old 2016-02-25, 08:50   Link #5
danielevo

Where is Dragon ? I dont see him..
danielevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-25, 09:00   Link #6
J4n1

Well this was an interesting chapter, and i like Raizou's design.
Also loved Law's expression when Raizou started hamming it up, poor guy needs to learn to just chill about all the insanity.
J4n1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-25, 10:43   Link #7
LevelSeven

haha, so many naruto references, earth release XD XD XD
but i also liked how oda gave a correct answer to how a ninja should be lol XD XD

and the perverted kid is a lord :O didnt see that coming XD
nami is as awesome as ever
and Law really should travel with the straw hats, he fits perfectly
LevelSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-25, 10:54   Link #8
itachi-san314

So the Strawhats read the Naruto manga? I'm sure Kishimoto loves this chapter.
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-25, 11:42   Link #9
Trax
Rock beats scissors

So... Will Jack be heading back to Zou?
Trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-25, 12:25   Link #10
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Raizou... is our god...

All men are obsessed with ninjas
I was really happy to see even Law and Zoro jumped to the hype train

while Nico Robin finally got some time to shine by reading those phoneglyph
She always reveal something interesting after reading it like in Fishman island arc
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-25, 13:37   Link #11
J4n1

Not sure what you mean by Zoro and Law jumping on Hype train.
Both were so laid back the whole chapter they might as well have been asleep.
Apart from last page where Law seems to be, again, questioning the sanity of his allies.
Old 2016-02-25, 14:02   Link #12
Wandering Soul

LOL at the strawhats harassing Raizou. Half of this chapter was Naruto references.
Old 2016-02-25, 14:26   Link #13
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4n1 View Post
Not sure what you mean by Zoro and Law jumping on Hype train.
Both were so laid back the whole chapter they might as well have been asleep.
Apart from last page where Law seems to be, again, questioning the sanity of his allies.
Their faces appear in the bubbles during the hype train so those lines of dialogue are clearly theirs. Law's face at the end wasn't questioning others' sanity, he was shocked that he actually saw the clone jutsu used which he asked to see.
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-25, 14:44   Link #14
J4n1

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
Their faces appear in the bubbles during the hype train so those lines of dialogue are clearly theirs. Law's face at the end wasn't questioning others' sanity, he was shocked that he actually saw the clone jutsu used which he asked to see.
Found the ones you meant.
Eh, don't look very hyped to me, sure, they asked for a trick, but not really part of hype train imo.
Old 2016-02-25, 15:17   Link #15
marvelB

Quote:
Found the ones you meant.
Eh, don't look very hyped to me, sure, they asked for a trick, but not really part of hype train imo.

The point is that they at least expressed interest, deadpan expressions or not. I mean, notice that the girls didn't even react AT ALL (similar how to they show no reaction to any of Franky's robo shenanigans). It just goes to show that even Zoro and Law embrace the dreams of every man.

Though, speaking of the girls.... I really should have figured that Nami would want to exploit Momo after discovering he's of noble lineage. heh.
Old 2016-02-25, 15:56   Link #16
J4n1

Embrace might be putting it a bit strongly, aknowledge its existence and/or show vague interest maybe.
Or just be interested in someones combat potential (or capacity to withstand pain with Zoro's "get speared" idea).

Oddly, find myself liking the chapter, liking the new character, even while i kinda hate all the ninja hype from Luffy and co.
I kinda hate Naruto (the manga, haven't watched the anime or played games) which may color my opinions of this chapter due to all the shout outs.

Used to read Naruto, it was never my favorite manga, but it had plenty of good stuff in there.
Then Sasuke went of the deep end, and the story became all about him and how awesome he is (he isn't). And from there on the whole thing went going downhill in so many ways that i don't even have the patience to write it all down.
Old 2016-02-25, 16:44   Link #17
ranchan13

Ok, seriously....
Raizou for Strawhat crew?
Integrated
Artificial
Lifeform
ranchan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-25, 19:12   Link #18
imza

Spoiler:

This captures my feelings from this chapter.
imza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-25, 19:38   Link #19
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
Lol, every new character is a potential Strawhat for people at this point. Good chapter by the way, good comedic value, good reveals, rock solid. Looking forward to the next one!
Old 2016-02-25, 19:57   Link #20
Jmariofan7

Quote:
Embrace might be putting it a bit strongly, aknowledge its existence and/or show vague interest maybe.
Or just be interested in someones combat potential (or capacity to withstand pain with Zoro's "get speared" idea).

Oddly, find myself liking the chapter, liking the new character, even while i kinda hate all the ninja hype from Luffy and co.
I kinda hate Naruto (the manga, haven't watched the anime or played games) which may color my opinions of this chapter due to all the shout outs.

Used to read Naruto, it was never my favorite manga, but it had plenty of good stuff in there.
Then Sasuke went of the deep end, and the story became all about him and how awesome he is (he isn't). And from there on the whole thing went going downhill in so many ways that i don't even have the patience to write it all down.
Oh boy, another one of those "Naruto sucks solely because of Sasuke" people. That's kind of a shallow reason to stop reading, you didn't even try to see where the story was going with it, and despite what you and other people might think, it wasn't all about him nor did it make him out to be awesome.
Jmariofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote