AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-08-12, 19:35   Link #141
LG-MAX 2.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Japan is the country in Asia that has the most to answer for as to WW II, that's the issue. As to China that's a dictatorship - I wouldn't have any expectations about them telling the truth in textbooks.

I don't let Japan off the hook for the kids' ignorance of the war just because there are so few survivors. The issue is that the war has been sanitized, whitewashed - the Rape of Nanking, comfort women, Japanese aggression in the Pacific - it's taught more like how Mana describes it ("I just thought we were fighting the Americans cause they invaded."

The problem is that those old enough to have been told the truth by their parents have a perspective of what really happened. Kids Mana's age do not, and that's why what they learn in school really matters. And why this episode is so incredibly subversive (as indeed, was Mizuki generally).
Mana is a middle school, right? Is high school taught the same thing? I mean, it's impossible to erase events like Pearl Harbor.
LG-MAX 2.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-12, 19:50   Link #142
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I’ve been assuming Mana is probably 1st year middle school so like 13, though I don’t recall that being explicitly confirmed. She’s definitely in middle school though.

I don’t think it’s taught much differently in HS, to be honest.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-12, 20:03   Link #143
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

What I've seen in the way of dramas and movies usually involves Okinawa, where the Americans did invade, although there's not much discussion of why the Americans were invading. There's also stuff about Hiroshima, although again not much discussion of why the atomic bomb was dropped.

There's a drama version of Kono Sekai no Katasumi ni (In This Corner of the World) running now. A group has announced they're subbing it, but I haven't seen any subs released yet.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-12, 20:12   Link #144
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

This group of tweets shows a sample of what the original author wrote about his experiences, with when he was sick and cared for by the natives
https://twitter.com/nobunavy/status/1028627325129117696

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-13, 00:00   Link #145
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Mizuki experienced as close as humans get to hell in PNG, yet he still came to love the place (see the second eyecatch this week).
Old 2018-08-13, 10:19   Link #146
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Fantastic episode.

It made me think of an episode that happened in Gatchaman Crowds Insight. (Which is another highly underrated show if you ask me)
Old 2018-08-13, 14:17   Link #147
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Both seasons of Gatchaman Crowds are worth watching, though I agree the second installment has the better story in terms of politics. I found it interesting that both Insight and Kill la Kill came out within a year of each other, and both focused on fascistic elements in Japanese culture.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-14, 04:13   Link #148
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG-MAX 2.o View Post
Mana is a middle school, right? Is high school taught the same thing? I mean, it's impossible to erase events like Pearl Harbor.
Note - on re-watching the episode (because, of course) it is indeed 1st year middle school (Clsss 1-A). It's on her summer homework.
Old 2018-08-19, 11:45   Link #149
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Unsurprisingly not so heavy this week, though there is a subtle message at the end endorsing diversity along with the usual material promoting friendship and treating people with respect.
Old 2018-08-19, 17:32   Link #150
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Finally an episode that seemed written for the time slot.
Old 2018-08-20, 06:59   Link #151
LG-MAX 2.o

so I did not see the last episode, but I read comments that soon we would have an episode of terror in the same way as episode 7, does anyone know if this is true?
Old 2018-08-21, 10:38   Link #152
LG-MAX 2.o

Ah yes, although the subject has already cooled, an incredibly good anime that deals with the polemic subject is Concrete Revolutio, it joins all elements of Japanese pop culture in a postwar Japan environment, in fact, they went further on that any other anime, until unit 731 is mentioned.
Old 2018-08-26, 01:28   Link #153
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Aaaand we're back to the heavy stuff. That TV show host is dead, right? Expired and gone to meet his maker. Kicked the bucket, shuffled off his mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible. He is an ex-TV show host.

At least Neko-musume got a hug out of it.
Old 2018-08-26, 08:33   Link #154
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
Aaaand we're back to the heavy stuff. That TV show host is dead, right? Expired and gone to meet his maker. Kicked the bucket, shuffled off his mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible.
Along with the parrot
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Neko-musume was a lot more dere in this episode than most so far.

The TV host had a certain "Elvis" look. If Kitarou survived maybe he did as well? Maybe yokai can survive being eaten, but not humans?

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2018-08-26 at 08:46.
Old 2018-08-26, 14:25   Link #155
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Gotta say, that animation quality... and style was pretty good. It was like watching a movie, just in 20 minutes.
How many episodes does this have? It doesn't feel like it is 2-cour.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-26, 14:37   Link #156
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
The only thing I've heard is "at least 50." Previous versions of the show have run for 100 or more.
Old 2018-08-26, 16:05   Link #157
LG-MAX 2.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Gotta say, that animation quality... and style was pretty good. It was like watching a movie, just in 20 minutes.
is at least 50 episodes, but as the series is succeeding in Japan maybe there will be more in the future.
Old 2018-08-26, 19:23   Link #158
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Along with the parrot
If I remember correctly, that is a version of the certified oldest joke known to mankind, only that in the original it was a dead slave.

Quote:
Neko-musume was a lot more dere in this episode than most so far.
And those pointed ears not pointing upwards, why do they mercilessly push my buttons :-p

Quote:
The TV host had a certain "Elvis" look. If Kitarou survived maybe he did as well? Maybe yokai can survive being eaten, but not humans?
The host got a (spirit) bullet on the brain, so he is as dead as Elvis, but I have no doubt Kitaro can survive some hot magma by turning insubstantial the moment the fart gyuki left his body in self preservation.

About the duration of this series, third season had 108 (nice number) and fourth had 114 so I bet this one will end at around 50, then we will have a year of Dragon Ball Super (or whatever they call it), then another year of Kitaro, then another year of dragoball and then they might do a reboot of Ogon Bat in its 55 anniversary (wishful thinking).
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-26, 20:46   Link #159
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
I bet this one will end at around 50
It is the "50th Anniversary" edition of Kitarou, so spanning a single year seems appropriate.

Like serenade_beta I've been impressed with the effort and resources spent on this show. Both the illustration style and the animation have been first-rate.
Old 2018-08-29, 23:52   Link #160
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

I just recently started watching this series. A hidden gem indeed, this must qualify for my most seriously overlooked series of the last few years. Good thing I caught up only 2 seasons in
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
old anime, remake