AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-03-13, 23:31   Link #41
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Eh, its a sci-fi homage to WW2 movies without the satire that Starship Troopers had..... Saturday matinee yeehaw fun. Zombies and aliens are better villains without all the grey murky morals. Of course, was it a cohesive storyline? errrrrrrrrr.
Old 2011-03-14, 05:23   Link #42
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

I actually prefer an alien invasion movie that go along the line with: a group of US marines have to hold off a crucial communication base/city against alien charge, and the battle almost lost before the Chinese army show up to help saving the day. Then skip toward ten or twenty years later when we see a major battle ready to start with the aliens in one side and United Earth Army on another. The end.

Which strangely sounds like a modern version of Lord of The Ring with tanks and gunships.

Edit: i actually realise that if there's one such movie, it will be almost a completely different genre with Battle: Los Angeles
Old 2011-03-14, 07:14   Link #43
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

^ i was actually hoping they showed the other countries finaly putting their shit aside and team up against the aliens. which they prob did but didnt show it.
Old 2011-03-14, 07:32   Link #44
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
the film goes out of its way to mythologize the Marine corp, turning its men and women from human beings to Saints and Angels
I didn't quite get that impression. Though one thing does kinda put a damper on the whole URAH factor when you actually sit down to think about it.

-The Marines drag away a wounded alien and vivisect it alive to find weak points. Earlier in the film the Aliens were trying to drag Marines off (probably for the exact same reason). The aliens are shown to have self preservation tendencies, such as dragging wounded comrades behind cover.

This is rather morbid when you think about it, and I'm not sure it was unintentional.
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
That being said, Battle: Los Angeles opened to 36 million. Those are some good numbers.
Very good indeed. And that's Just the US gross.

OTOH, I'm really thinking that most critics are insane. Most of the professional critic reviews have rated this movie as good (I.E. Mediocre) as Terminator Salvation.

That feels like a Judge handing out a life sentence for murder, rape and jail walking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
before the Chinese army show up to help saving the day.
That's completely nonsensical. How is China deploying troops half a world away while they themselves are under attack? Or anyone else for that matter aside from the United states? Not to go *America fuck yeah!* but one of the reasons the US military budget is so huge, is because of the global force projection capability we have. We have lots of global bases and dedicated transport set up to support having an Army on the other side of the world. The logistics of this is complex.

The most possible situation I could see something like this happening, would be American troops stationed in Japan (and their JGSDF counter parts) got reinforced directly from the Chinese mainland.*

*But it's questionable how many troops the Chinese would be able to ship/fly, considering the enemies air superiority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
^ i was actually hoping they showed the other countries finaly putting their shit aside and team up against the aliens. which they prob did but didnt show it.
The film showcased an attack on America, which is geographically isolated. Plus the nature of the Aliens superiority in aircraft and attacking from the sea limits how much different countries can support each other (divided and conquer).

European countries are in a pretty good position to support each other though. They have very close and easily accessible land borders which they can shift ground troops around quickly. Though this kind of support will probably be more vital in Europe, since individual countries smaller territory will mean they can get overun more quickly.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-14, 16:20   Link #45
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
It would of made no difference. The AK (as I call em), are too strong.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-15, 07:57   Link #46
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Their machines are flimsy, easly spoted and can easly out manuver them. All we gotta do is find and destroy those ships that control the drones and we rule the. Sky.

If a small force of marines can do it,then we already won the war.
Old 2011-03-15, 19:25   Link #47
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Their machines are flimsy, easly spoted
It required a rather largish missle to take down, so I'm not sure what you're on about here. And they seemed to be rather consistently using the smaller aircraft as ablative shields against the long range missiles being guided in by lases. The only reason that didn't work was because Michael Rodriguez's character made an unbelievably lucky shot with that AT4 (which wouldn't have mattered if the aliens had had more of those aircraft on defense).

The only reason the Marines spotted the area where the ship was buried, was because there were still some lights on in LA to contrast against the EMP effect.
Quote:
All we gotta do is find and destroy those ships that control the drones and we rule the. Sky.
That requires finding and destroying them while the enemy enjoys complete air supremacy, and is worried about you sending commando teams after his C&C centers.

You also over estimate how much we'd rule the sky's. The impression you get at this point is that the aliens UAV's have inflicted significant damage on our air forces. We might not have much of an air force left to rule the sky with.

Quote:
If a small force of marines can do it,then we already won the war.
You still have millions of enemy infantry dug into the rubble of your cities.
Old 2011-03-15, 19:41   Link #48
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

i got two friends in the military, air force ...

/facepalm forget it, its pointless to argue with you over a FREAKIN SCIFI MOVIE!
Old 2011-03-15, 20:13   Link #49
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:

/facepalm forget it, its pointless to argue with you over a FREAKIN SCIFI MOVIE!
My old man's a retired aviator too. You want to play that game? -gets out popcorn-
justinstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-15, 20:32   Link #50
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
I actually prefer an alien invasion movie that go along the line with: a group of US marines have to hold off a crucial communication base/city against alien charge, and the battle almost lost before the Chinese army show up to help saving the day. Then skip toward ten or twenty years later when we see a major battle ready to start with the aliens in one side and United Earth Army on another. The end.

Which strangely sounds like a modern version of Lord of The Ring with tanks and gunships.

Edit: i actually realise that if there's one such movie, it will be almost a completely different genre with Battle: Los Angeles
Halo story line much
Afternoon Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-15, 20:45   Link #51
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
My old man's a retired aviator too. You want to play that game? -gets out popcorn-
he underestimates our military power... to some aliens we hardly know.
Old 2011-03-15, 22:22   Link #52
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:

Can't this be a fun discussion? The same thing happens in the Gundam forums, but everyone else treats it as fun. You're right, it is just movie, so why are you freaking out like this?
Old 2011-03-15, 22:30   Link #53
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

I'm on the edge of snapping and breakin stuff at the momment, thats why.. i'm pretty much freakin out about everything today...
Old 2011-03-15, 22:32   Link #54
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Take it somewhere else then.
Old 2011-03-15, 22:36   Link #55
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
It required a rather largish missle to take down, so I'm not sure what you're on about here. And they seemed to be rather consistently using the smaller aircraft as ablative shields against the long range missiles being guided in by lases. The only reason that didn't work was because Michael Rodriguez's character made an unbelievably lucky shot with that AT4 (which wouldn't have mattered if the aliens had had more of those aircraft on defense).

The only reason the Marines spotted the area where the ship was buried, was because there were still some lights on in LA to contrast against the EMP effect.
That requires finding and destroying them while the enemy enjoys complete air supremacy, and is worried about you sending commando teams after his C&C centers.

You also over estimate how much we'd rule the sky's. The impression you get at this point is that the aliens UAV's have inflicted significant damage on our air forces. We might not have much of an air force left to rule the sky with.

You still have millions of enemy infantry dug into the rubble of your cities.
I'm with you on all accounts. The aliens can be destroyed and killed, no doubt. But they still have superior technology and very strong numbers. The humans won the battle of Los Angeles, but not the war.
Old 2011-03-16, 02:16   Link #56
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

it can be assumed from the writing that the humans lost air superiority. also, when you see the damage they did to the FOB, you can assume they made significant gains on the ground as well. after all, San Fran and San Diego fell too. but now that humans know what to look for, one can say that they'll drive them back.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 02:28   Link #57
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
A good portion of our forces are in Iraq and Afghanistan. Also, you have to consider the multiple areas on the west coast that were being hit simultaneously. It is very plausible. I've flown into Edwards Air Force base with my old man when he was involved with Global Hawk back in 1998. It's not like every F16, F15, A-10 Warthog, and every other aircraft is fueled, armed, and piloted at all times.
Old 2011-03-16, 07:14   Link #58
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

they caught us off guard in a sense. if we were at our full power and knew they were coming, they wouldn't have done so much damage. but now we're back inthe fight with all our might (hopefuly) time to kick some E.T. ass
Old 2011-03-16, 07:34   Link #59
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
I'm on the edge of snapping and breakin stuff at the momment, thats why.. i'm pretty much freakin out about everything today...
ooooooookaaaay

I'm sorry you're having a bad day?
Quote:
Isn't the entire principle of an alien invasion movie to put the most advanced and powerful military force on the planet (US Army) as the under dog?

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
it can be assumed from the writing that the humans lost air superiority. also, when you see the damage they did to the FOB, you can assume they made significant gains on the ground as well. after all, San Fran and San Diego fell too. but now that humans know what to look for, one can say that they'll drive them back.
Indeed. Throughout the entire first half of the film they play up how absolutely important it is that the Marines get out of the section of LA covered in Aliens because the air force is planning on carpet bombing it and that the time table is unmodifiable and set in stone (regardless of potential collateral damage).

The point is made that it's more terrifying when this expected bombardment doesn't come on the Marines. It means that a good offensive chunk of the Air force has been shot up.
Old 2011-03-16, 11:01   Link #60
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

^ its ok, i'm fully better now and i'm in a good mood

I'm still waiting for a District 9 competitor that movie was the best!

Tags
movie, movies