AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2010-04-08, 13:32   Link #17141
Like_Clockwork

I was wondering how easy it is to jump into the world of resin models. I've really been wanting to get something from FSS. I'm pretty accustomed to gunpla by now and I want to eventually (in the near future) take a try at resin models. Also I saw how others were talking about the ease of using lacquer and what exactly makes them easier to use? sorry to sound like a noob haha
Like_Clockwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-08, 14:28   Link #17142
GameraBaenre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Like_Clockwork View Post
I was wondering how easy it is to jump into the world of resin models. I've really been wanting to get something from FSS. I'm pretty accustomed to gunpla by now and I want to eventually (in the near future) take a try at resin models. Also I saw how others were talking about the ease of using lacquer and what exactly makes them easier to use? sorry to sound like a noob haha
Resin isn't necessarily more difficult, but just requires more attention to details.
- Mold lines are more prominent in resin kits than in bandai plastic.
- Resin is much softer than bandai plastic, so some care in sanding is needed
- Resin needs to be primed
- Since most resin parts are solid pieces, they need to be pinned to help strengthen joints.
- resin kits are mostly static pose kits, and for some that are moveable, it's best to find a pose and fix pose it.
- resin kits need to be washed, much more so than plastic kits as mold release agents that are part of the production process for resin kits will keep primers and paints from sticking to the surface.
- epoxy glues are the best glues to use for strength
- you will be very familiar with putty as resin kits sometimes have pin holes that need to be filled, or areas where two parts meet need putty to hide seams.

But for all intents and purposes,if you build and paint plastic gundam models, it's not difficult at all to move into resins.

As for lacquer's ease of use. Personally, I find that the tolerances for thinning is not as precise as it is for acrylics. When spraying the paints, I have found that lacquers stick better, and I can get effects with heavier spray patterns to create a wet look that if I tried with acrylics, would end up with a pool of paint. The cure time is also something I like for lacquers as they will cure much faster than acrylics. With acrylics, I would have to wait a full week to two for a good cure - when with lacquers, I can wait a day or two. This goes into how delicate the paint is over the parts during the cure times. I can take my fingernail and run it lightly across the surface of a part painted with lacquers that have cured for a day and nothing will happen; but trying this with acrylics that have been cured for a day or even two, the paint will come right off.

Most of my friends who have been hard core acrylic fans, that have tried using lacquers, switched almost immediately. It's one of those things that you need to personally experience. Some folks whom have tried lacquers don't like it and stick with acrylics. It just boils down to a matter of preference and what you personally find easier to use and such. Hopefully that gives some insight into lacquers. Granted they are not as easy to find as acrylics; but for my time and money, they are totally worth it
GameraBaenre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-08, 18:21   Link #17143
Like_Clockwork

Thanks for all the help, I've seen your stuff and I'm very impressed so it's nice to get insight from someone with as much skill as you. I've definitely wanted to use lacquers, but no where near me sells more than tamiya and testors acrylic and model masters enamel. I think I'm gonna try my hand with some lacquers next time I pick up a kit online. Thanks again!
Like_Clockwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-08, 19:56   Link #17144
Mr Chow
YO! Where's the food at?
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Mr Chow
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC23 View Post
I use Tamiya acrylics and add 10% of Tamiya Acrylic Paint retarder...it somehow makes the Acrylic paint almost similar with lacquers in terms of ease of use and performance.

I have better finished kits when I started using Tamiya Paint retarder...here is my first painted Gunpla with Tamiya paint retarder mixed with Tamiya acrylics - PG Zeta ver DC23
Nicely done my friend!! Here in New Zealand most of the PG range are very hard to get, though ones that are found here cost around the 450-580.00 range!! I found it much easier to import them through a friend in Hong Kong, though at the moment money is really 'tight', so no new PG's for a while... sigh O_o

PEACE
Mr Chow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-08, 20:19   Link #17145
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Word of advice for anyone wanting to buy the Robot Damashii Seravee Gundam.

GET IT.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-08, 20:22   Link #17146
DC23

Send a message via Yahoo to DC23
@ Mr Chow, thanks bro...but this aint my PG...money is also tight.hihi...those are just commission works.
DC23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-08, 21:38   Link #17147
X207
Gamyūsa

an update on the models atm

got the kit 2 days ago but the yellow paint on the cannon didnt turn out as i liked, got the correct yellow paint for the cannon today and painted it. the gaddessa atm is mostly in the box aside from the shoulder armor, leg pieces and escape pod. is there anything i can to make the cannon perfectly level when stowed away? to me the pc11 is too weak or the mounting point isnt balanced on the cannon

what else can you do to take up the slack in the small swivel joint for the GN cannon aside from glue or paint? the joint near the side handle was too tight and it was separating the gun a bit. i filed off the edge so it stopped that, now its a bit loose, i put some humbol matt varnish hoping it would take up some slack. so farits working well but im not sure how long until the paint wears out enough to loosen the fit.

Last edited by X207; 2010-04-09 at 16:54.
X207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-09, 17:02   Link #17148
GrimmReaperNL
Oro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by X207 View Post
Spoiler:
change one of the shoulders to the shield and you have a 3 for 3 gnz suit
Old 2010-04-09, 18:32   Link #17149
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

The Garazzo in Gaddess colors is so ironic since Anew was originally supposed to pilot a Garazzo.
Old 2010-04-09, 19:18   Link #17150
X207
Gamyūsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmReaperNL View Post
change one of the shoulders to the shield and you have a 3 for 3 gnz suit
done

Spoiler:

where did you get that from? personally i like that she didnt get a garrazzo because there were already 2 garrazzo pilots to start with. hilling care upgraded to a garrazzo but i usually count the last MS the pilot is using. though for some reason the gaddess fits anew returner's personality more. she's not overly aggressive nor one to carry the heavy weaponry so the gaddess weapons are a balance between the 2 even if imo the gaddess is the weaker one of the 3 MS.
Old 2010-04-09, 19:42   Link #17151
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

I gotta say, I love the Garazzo in the Gaddess colors. Good work!
Old 2010-04-09, 22:26   Link #17152
X207
Gamyūsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
I gotta say, I love the Garazzo in the Gaddess colors. Good work!
thanks, i do have to say myself that i didnt expect it to look so good that it could look better than the gaddess. the best part i like of it is the spikes, they were blue to start with but they seemed a bit plain. lol just now i looked up at it and mistook it for a gaddess for a second or 2.

btw, has anyone ever used the 40 degree stand included with gaddessa, garrazzo or gaddess? i dont see much prupose in it aside from letting you pose it facing up above it.q

Last edited by X207; 2010-04-09 at 23:05.
Old 2010-04-09, 23:02   Link #17153
Dynamite

Just a quick little poll/question thing.

So how many of you guys use the eye stickers from the kits? Or do you use them on certain grades or certain situations?
Dynamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-09, 23:07   Link #17154
X207
Gamyūsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamite View Post

So how many of you guys use the eye stickers from the kits? Or do you use them on certain grades or certain situations?
i always use them. though im probably not going to use it for a nebula blitz gundam that will go black instead of red.
Old 2010-04-09, 23:33   Link #17155
GNWeapon
On Trial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamite View Post

Stop using them like 2 years ago, when I started to include painting of the eyes/face.
GNWeapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-09, 23:40   Link #17156
X207
Gamyūsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNWeapon View Post
Stop using them like 2 years ago, when I started to include painting of the eyes/face.
how do you paint the iris? the backgound the eys show up on is easy, the only tool i can think of atm to do the iris is a knife with minimal paint on it.
Old 2010-04-10, 02:26   Link #17157
DC23

Send a message via Yahoo to DC23
Talking

Just paint it with a 00 sized brush or even a wooden toothpick bro.
DC23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-10, 04:43   Link #17158
Sir Dearka
Inglourious Buster

Nice one, X207. Though I'd prefer the Gartazzo's horns to remain blue... However, I love your Gaddess(a) with cannon!
Old 2010-04-10, 06:09   Link #17159
Sworra

Nice clean build X207. I assume you had your flaws like everyone else but nice work on it to hide them. Keep up the good work.
Old 2010-04-10, 08:30   Link #17160
GrimmReaperNL
Oro?

i paint the eye's as well.

first i make the entire eye area black with my black gundam marker then, when it's dry, i scratch the paint off the eyes and make 'm metallic green with my metallic green gundam marker. Or yellow (or even pink for the mono-eyes) if it's one of the other universes

Tags
gundam, gunpla, model kit, toy