AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hyouka

Notices

View Poll Results: Hyouka - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 21 30.88%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 23 33.82%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 23.53%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 7.35%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 2.94%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.47%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-06-23, 18:47   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Hyouka - Episode 10 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Hyouka, Episode 10.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2012-06-24, 13:12   Link #2
margafred
ლ(́◉◞౪◟ ◉ ლ )

Spoiler for Episode 10 of Hyouka:
Old 2012-06-24, 13:43   Link #3
RainbowMagnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by margafred View Post
Spoiler for spoilers:
Old 2012-06-24, 13:59   Link #4
margafred
ლ(́◉◞౪◟ ◉ ლ )

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowMagnet View Post
Spoiler for spoilers:

Spoiler for To reply:

Ok screw that... i don't want to put hope on this matter already . I had enough heartbreaking with Kyoani's previous titles.
Old 2012-06-24, 14:47   Link #5
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by margafred View Post
Spoiler for Mystery:

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.

Last edited by AC-Phoenix; 2012-06-24 at 19:29.
Old 2012-06-24, 21:05   Link #6
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Okay.. what rope? I'm a bit confused.

And Irisu is hiding a nice rack under her uniform. Oreki needs to get on that.
Old 2012-06-24, 21:17   Link #7
karuroso

Sincerely I'm glad this arc is over, not only the mystery this time was boring but also seemed that Oreki was being toyed even more than normal and I bet Irisu was doing a keikaku doori pose off screen

edit: D= so thats what I get for not waiting the entire ep to end...but come on fisnish this arc already >_>
Old 2012-06-24, 21:42   Link #8
ellessarr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by karuroso View Post
Sincerely I'm glad this arc is over, not only the mystery this time was boring but also seemed that Oreki was being toyed even more than normal and I bet Irisu was doing a keikaku doori pose off screen

edit: D= so thats what I get for not waiting the entire ep to end...but come on fisnish this arc already >_>
maybe still not over yet, he forget about the rope...
Old 2012-06-24, 21:51   Link #9
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Spoiler for General thoughts:

While I was glad to be right about who Irisu was really after from the beginning, I also had my amateur sleuth hopes dashed quite elegantly. Just for fun...

Spoiler for ... here's my litany of failures: Stuff I seem to have gotten completely wrong:
Old 2012-06-24, 22:18   Link #10
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

In this episode of Hyouka . . .
Oreki is made to confront Commander Adama Irisu, who tells him that he's the right officer for the job, and his constant bellyaching and false modesty are really bad for crew morale. Feeling fired up, he tries to motivate Satoshi. It backfires hilariously.

Oreki: "You could be the greatest Sherlockian in Japan if you put your mind to it!"
Satoshi: "Eh, there are other things I'd like to do than be the best Sherlockian in Japan. Like get into your pants."
Oreki: "What?"
Satoshi: "Nothing . . . nothing . . . I'm jealous though . . . of all those chicks who want your throbbing, uh, brain . . . "

Afterwards, the three members of the Classics Club (minus THE HYPNOTOAD Chitanda, who's still recovering from her night of drunken debauchery) briefly reconsider the movie, before Satoshi is dragged off for his role as Bernie Madoff's secret right-hand man, and Inspector Lestrade Mayaka announces that while she wants to help Irisu, she's not really interested in helping Oreki, leaving Oreki alone, with his throbbing brain, to figure it all out.

He ultimately applies the old Holmes maxim of "when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth" and announces that the mime did it, because everybody hates mimes.

Everybody is happy with the solution, except the props man, THE HYPNOTOAD Chitanda, (who's literally disappointed into speechlessness,) and Mayaka, who points out that there was this rope thing mentioned in the last episode that was so important that it was specifically ordered by the writer of the screenplay . . .

We then get to see Oreki's talent for swearing in twenty-two languages before the credits roll. Or, at least, we would if Oreki knew twenty-two languages and wasn't such a Devotee of the Church of Energy Conservation.

So with Oreki's moment of triumph so comprehensively crushed by Inspector Lestrade Mayaka, he must now race against the clock to uncover the real killer in the next episode of 24 Hyouka!

Nine ass-kickings delivered by Jack Bauer before breakfast out of ten.
Old 2012-06-24, 22:22   Link #11
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Okay.. what rope? I'm a bit confused.
Houtarou's deduction ignored this rope:

/
      / \|
    /
Old 2012-06-24, 22:25   Link #12
leongsh
Daijoubu!

While the sideshow of the "mystery" seems to preoccupy the posts here so far, I personally felt that the more important bits being how Irisu really busted Houtarou's conceit about being "lucky". Houtarou definitely has self-esteem/confidence issues which could fundamentally be why he hides behind "energy conservation" to avoid doing anything.

Then the part Houtaraou asked Satoshi about what he is good at and the scene ending with Satoshi showing his envy of Houtarou and the face that the perpetually cheerful front that Satoshi shows is briefly dropped as we get to see another side of Satoshi.
Old 2012-06-24, 22:38   Link #13
Peanutbutter

Okay.

Spoiler:
Old 2012-06-24, 22:41   Link #14
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by leongsh View Post
Then the part Houtaraou asked Satoshi about what he is good at and the scene ending with Satoshi showing his envy of Houtarou and the face that the perpetually cheerful front that Satoshi shows is briefly dropped as we get to see another side of Satoshi.
Satoshi has already been dropping hints that he has much that he hasn't been willing to share about himself, but this was the most clear example so far. There's a lot more subtext to Satoshi than anyone else in the cast, and that makes him a very interesting character.
Old 2012-06-25, 00:08   Link #15
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I think what kind of took away from the ending was that you knew that Houtarou's initial conclusion wouldn't be right. Like last arc he was missing something and Chitanda wasn't satisfied. Whether she remembered the rope I'm not sure, but you could see that she wasn't happy. Whether her satisfaction is a measurement for the truth is another story, but if she's not happy then we're probably not on the right track. Though to be fair like Houtarou I forgot about the rope and how with the cameraman theory the rope doesn't matter at all.

Though really seems like everyone sensed it wasn't quite right. Satoshi only called it "not bad", Mayaka outright said the rope wasn't there, and Chitanda looked disappointed. Of course I'm sure it's a combination of that rope and what Chitanda read. Chitanda being home with a hangover (), was the key to this. Needed her out of the picture so she couldn't point out the flaws in Houtarou's theory.

Of course I actually didn't want Houtarou to solve it like this. Didn't like the feeling of him being manipulated by Irisu. Not that I don't agree he has talent and skill at solving mysteries like these, but it just felt like a dirty trick being played on him. Taking advantage of that weakness and almost self-depreciation he has (which I still think is linked to his sister being so overwhelmingly talented). If he's going to solve this want it to be a group effort.

Will say that this was the kind of darkest we've seen Satoshi. We've seen hints, but this was pretty clear. Really wonder what he thinks about Houtarou. Does he feel that frustration of seeing someone talented ignore their own ability? While I think Houtarou tried to apply the same tactic as Irisu with saying he sees more in Satoshi than Satoshi himself sees, it backfired. Maybe hearing that from someone who is talented at seeing things would be a bit painful. Regardless Satoshi is bound to have some major focus coming sooner or later.
Old 2012-06-25, 00:45   Link #16
flack

Um just a question which website is gives the earliest subbed version of this anime (torrent or online stream), or do you guys all just watch it raw?

Just watched it now. Surprising they actually made Oreki fail on a theory. Going to think about this.

Last edited by flack; 2012-06-25 at 01:28.
Old 2012-06-25, 01:38   Link #17
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by flack View Post
Um just a question which website is gives the earliest subbed version of this anime (torrent or online stream), or do you guys all just watch it raw?

Just watched it now. Surprising they actually made Oreki fail on a theory.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm currently watching the show via Mazui's speedsubs. I don't understand nearly enough Japanese to even try a show like this one raw.

As for Oreki's swing-and-miss, it's not really that surprising. The Hyouka (Classics Club anthology) arc had a similar resolution (i.e. Oreki presenting an initial theory that would work perfectly, were it not for something he was missing thanks to incomplete data/understanding of the events . . . only to have to walk it back and come out with the real solution in time for the arc to end.)
Old 2012-06-25, 01:40   Link #18
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Yeah, he was pretty half-assed about it. Raising the "second mystery" but not solving it?
Old 2012-06-25, 01:41   Link #19
Tmarsev

Just watched the 10th Episode

Chitanda and Mayaka in this Episode made me confuse. I'm curious
Old 2012-06-25, 02:19   Link #20
Gundamx

Last scene = OUCH!!!
Closed Thread