AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Aquarion Series > Past Aquarion Series

Notices

Old 2004-12-17, 10:17   Link #1
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Wink Sousei no Aquarion (2007) - Generic Discussion

FUNimation website : http://funimation.com/aquarion/

Since it is now licensed, the following posts are no longer allowed in this thread.
  • Asking where you can find SnA downloads or torrents.
  • Discussing SnA fansub groups (past or present).
  • Asking for help downloading SnA.
  • Asking for playback help for SnA episodes.
These rules applies to fansubs (in English or any other language) and raws alike.

You still are allowed to discuss the anime, that has not changed but please remember to limit the discussion to the story. End of edit by Mod (xris)
---

Coming Spring 2005, from the makers of Arjuna and Macross Zero, director Kawamori Shoji, music Kanno Yoko, advertized as "full transformation, full combination, mechanical angel" (why it sounds more like some ads for toy models? ), with three fighters able to transform and combine into one of three forms of a giant mecha, looks quite fun I guess

My rough translation of the story synopsis :
Quote:
In Souseiki (literally means Creation Saint Calendar) 0011, mankind has lost 2/3 of its population because of the cataclysm happened 11 years ago.

Because of the melting of Antarctica, the Atlandia which should have been destroyed 12,000 years ago appeared, and the winged race "Fallens" awakened. Their bio-mechanical weapons, the "mythical beasts", were sent to human cities to capture people for their life energy "Purana".

Meanwhile, Humans plan to counterattack with 3 hybrid fighters called "vector machines" excavated from undersea ruins, which are supposed to be the legendary weapons that have driven the Fallens to their downfall 12,000 years ago. The vector machines combine together to form the "mechanical angel Aquarion".

In order to activate Aquarion, a human called "element" who can sense and resonate with the mechanical life of the machine is needed. This requires sharp senses and pure souls, so teenager boys and girls are gathered to become pilots.

At last the time for the combination of the "mechanical angel Aquarion" has come...
Hmm... post-apocalytic mecha action with Biblical/Persian/Hindu mythology background, sounds interesting...

Last edited by xris; 2007-01-25 at 06:29.
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-17, 10:59   Link #2
wao
OK.

You know, as stupid as that sounds (teenage pilots [I'M SICK OF TEENAGE PILOTS! SICK OF THEM, SICK!!], environmental theme [I don't mind it, but the way it was handled in Arjuna was far too preachy IMHO], combining mecha [*WHACKS THE TABLE*], apocalypse OMFG WE MUST SAVE THE WORLD [goes very well with teenage pilots and angst ._.])...

I'll probably look forward to it anyway. :P

Even if I hate this show I can expect some good music at least, right? I'm so glad she's doing a show soon!
Peh, but I won't be surprised if it gets prelicensed though...

Now shoo off dreamless, stop starting threads about all the most-likely-to-be-big-hit stuff!
Old 2004-12-17, 11:22   Link #3
Retsoor

Heh, I'm sick of teenage pilots too but I wouldn't have put much thought into it if they hadn't said this
Quote:
This requires sharp senses and pure souls, so teenager boys and girls are gathered to become pilots.
Classic.
Retsoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-17, 11:23   Link #4
DaFool
Resident devil

Yup, it has the mysterious blue-haired girl

Mysterious blue-haired girls are required staples.

what significance / meaning do domains .info, .tk mean? Why just not .tv?
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-17, 11:27   Link #5
dreamless

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
You know, as stupid as that sounds (teenage pilots [I'M SICK OF TEENAGE PILOTS! SICK OF THEM, SICK!!], environmental theme [I don't mind it, but the way it was handled in Arjuna was far too preachy IMHO], combining mecha [*WHACKS THE TABLE*], apocalypse OMFG WE MUST SAVE THE WORLD [goes very well with teenage pilots and angst ._.])...

I'll probably look forward to it anyway. :P

Even if I hate this show I can expect some good music at least, right? I'm so glad she's doing a show soon!
Peh, but I won't be surprised if it gets prelicensed though...

Now shoo off dreamless, stop starting threads about all the most-likely-to-be-big-hit stuff!
well, actually the thing I currently worry about this upcoming series is that Kawamori Shoji probably will decide to add some environmentalist over-preachings into it like he has done to Arjuna and Macross Zero

well, I guess I'll refrain myself from starting threads about Sky of Iriya, Summer of UFO, Gallery Fake and Sanada 10 The Animation then

Last edited by dreamless; 2004-12-17 at 17:32.
Old 2004-12-17, 12:00   Link #6
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Anticipated New Series for Winter 2004 / 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
well, I guess I'll refrain myself from starting threads about Sky of Iriya, Summer of UFO, Gallery Fake and Sanada 10 The Animation then
Well, since I changed the subject line from "Sousei no Aquarion, upcoming mecha anime looks fun" to "Anticipated New Series for Winter 2004 / 2005", you now can.

This thread can now replace the old Anticipated New Series for Fall / Autumn 2004.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-17, 12:11   Link #7
wao
OK.

EDIT: xris post came in while I was typing this. I am talking about Sousei no Aquarion just in case anyone's confused... and yay, dreamless doesn't start all the cool topics for once
I *bet* you there will be lots of environmental stuff - I have no problem with those until they get preachy and soapboxy...

Hehe, did you read the title for the Story page, it says Jikuu chouetsu, shinseiki no gattai raburomansu toujou!

Wait, so you mean its a multi-dimensional new-age combining love romance?

Here's my own even rougher translation of the character profiles...

Apollo, 13 years old (FFS, he doesn't LOOK 13. He comes complete with a Kenshin scar, though.)
Rumoured to be the reincarnation of Atlandia's most powerful winged guardian "Apollonius", but he remembers absolutely nothing of his past life. After losing his parents in the Cataclysm (Dai'ihen), he somehow lived on, with others who suffered the same fate, in the harsh conditions. His instincts are very sharp, his senses are very sensitive, and his eyes see very clearly, with a degree of 5.0 (or well, that's what I read).

Silvia De Alisia, 14 years old.
Silvia has memories of a "previous life" as the female warrior Selian who fell in love with the fallen angel Apollonius. She was raised as the princess of the Alisia Kingdom. She possesses strange powers, and has a high mental capicity as well as a strong mind. Has an unyielding spirit and is a romanticist. (She's also a 'jajauma', and while I know what that means I dunno how to translate it.)

Sirius De Alisia, 16 years old.
Is Silvia's brother, and as the Prince of Alisia Kingdom, received education for gifted children. He is skilled in swordfighting (not sure about translation), and posesses very sharp hearing. Also, his right arm has the ability to send out high-velocity impact/tremors, which allows him to execute extremely powerful moves when combined with his sword. (Pretty bad translation there I think...). He is handsome and dearly loved like noone else, and sometimes hums poems to himself.

The mechas can be found here. IMO they look pretty ugly (the colours suck...) but I know nothing about mecha, so I'll keep the opinions to myself..

Aquarion Mars: The head position is Vector Mars. Carries a sword as a weapon. It doesn't matter how much of a disadvantage its position is, it will always manage to cleanly slice the enemy in half. 51.5m, 88tons

Solar Aquarion: The head position is Vector Sol. It draws out the power of the pilot's combat combat style (kakutou jutsu) and is a robot that forces on brute destruction.

Aquarion Luna: The head position is Vector Luna. It is more common/suitable for female elements to ride this. It is also equipped with a giant bow.

Wha'ts this "head position"? And also, it's fairly obvious who gets which mecha, right

Full staff list translated from here

Spoiler for staff, my own addition/comment are in square brackets.:

Production: Project Aquerion (Media Factory, Hakuhodo DY Media Partners, Bandai Co., Tohokushinsha Film Corporation)

Why did I leave Production out of spoiler tags, just to hope you do take note that this is MFI property jsut in case. And what's more with so many big names and Bandai and such a popular-looking premise, I'm almost expecting this to be prelicensed or licensed soon after airing.

Whoop-de-doo... random trivia, Hakuhodo DY Media Partners was invovled in production of Fantastic Children.

Last edited by wao; 2004-12-17 at 13:14.
wao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-17, 16:45   Link #8
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Well, since we're on the subject of new winter series, does anyone have a list of them or a site with a list?
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-17, 16:52   Link #9
dreamless

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris
Well, since I changed the subject line from "Sousei no Aquarion, upcoming mecha anime looks fun" to "Anticipated New Series for Winter 2004 / 2005", you now can.

This thread can now replace the old Anticipated New Series for Fall / Autumn 2004.
Hmm... I'm not sure if this new subject fits well with Sousei no Aquarion discussions, since Sousei no Aquarion is supposed to air Spring 2005, which I think is actually the season next to the Winter 2004/2005 one
Old 2004-12-17, 17:06   Link #10
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
Hmm... I'm not sure if this new subject fits well with Sousei no Aquarion discussions, since Sousei no Aquarion is supposed to air Spring 2005, which I think is actually the season next to the Winter 2004/2005 one
Well done Pike, I was waiting to see how long it would be before someone noticed! (You need a knowledge of old British Sitcoms to get that joke)...

Ahem, anyway. Yes, I noticed my mistake after renaming the thread

I'll admit defeat and rename back it to the original subject line, mostly because wao supplied all that background info which will be useful when this thread gets moved into the Fansub forum (which won't be until it gets released, and as it's an MFI production we won't be listing fansubs here on AnimeSuki))

If anyone does want to start a Anticipated New Series for Winter 2004 / 2005 thread, then please go ahead
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-18, 11:59   Link #11
Nebula
Hero Legend

Send a message via ICQ to Nebula Send a message via AIM to Nebula
... that mecha is a twisted mix of Timerobo and Neo Getter... me like...

Spoiler:
Nebula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-18, 23:48   Link #12
Sokar

The discription of the show reminds me so much of Gekkiganger 3. Why do they keep making these cliche shows?
Sokar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-19, 13:09   Link #13
wao
OK.

By the way on the main page at http://www.aquarion.info/ , the cover page image... Look at the person sitting right in the middle. It's Mashiro-sama!! It has to be! :P

In other news, I'm 80% sure the 2nd music composer (Hokari Hisaaki) has worked on a large number of AKino Arai's songs. Including Kakusei Toshi and Kirei na Kanjou last time I remembered. That puts him in my good books.
Old 2004-12-21, 09:23   Link #14
Zvuv

Oh my. This series just screams originality.

We'll see.
Zvuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-27, 07:44   Link #15
wao
OK.

Oh what the fsck.... I almost expected this to happen but still...

Super-early hype-creating HG models from Bandai GETTO!

HG Series figurines from Bandai of the 3 main mechas, unpainted More figures will come soon...

On the 29th of December around 10 PM Japan time they will be airing a streaming trailer. If it gets subbed it won't get onto animesuki seeing that this is MFI property... For those going to Comike er, you can go and get a postcard at the MFI booth...

Also, more of the characters have been added. Lovely. With seiyuu too. Rough translation time again!

Pierre Vieira 17 years old.
Cheerful and talented in sports. He is very easygoing and friendly to girls, and thus is very popular, with a huge following of fangirls.

Hong Lihua 15 years old. Chinese. Whoa.
Calls herself the Lady of Misfortune. (fukou wo yobu onna). She scores very well in terms of academic strength and combat, but any bright nature she has is actually hindered by the misfortunes that always keep coming back to her.

Rena Rune 11 years old. Why am I not surprised. Again the character designer is drawing them way too mature lookign!
She is spiritually sensitive (if that's how you say "reikan ga tsuyoku"), and is a diva prophet who can sense people's hearts as auras and various colours.

Tsugumi Rosenmeier 15 years old.
Her forte is in repairing Mechas. She is quite clumsy and also blockheaded and quite naive/innocent. She rides the beloved vehicle which she inherited from her German grandfather. (What's a resutoa?)

Jun Lee 14 years old.
A very clear-headed genius hacker whose presence even threatens the country's core mechanisms. He is very very knowledgeable and can't stop blabbering on about his extensive knowledge.

I am so not impressed, but anyway, here are the seiyuu lists.

Apollo: Hirotoku Terajima (寺島拓篤) - I don't know exactly who this seiyuu is. Is it Terajima or Terashima?
Silvia: Yumi Kakazu (Aw man, Dita's seiyuu..)
Sirius: Tomokazu Sugita (Hideki [Chobits]'s Seiyuu... But he did Kagami in Ceres so uh...)
Pierre: Masaya Onosaka (Vash's seiyuu! Whee!)
Hong Lihua: Sanae Kobayashi (If you don't know who she is... I'm too lazy )
Rena Rune: Yumi Satou (I don't know who she is.
佐藤裕美)
Tsugumi: Tsugumi Higasayama. Not very major role, but ha ha about the names.
Jun Lee: Daisuke Sakagachi (Yay! Shounen Bat's seiyuu! He is going to come and relieve you... *(w)hack*)

And that's it for today.

Old 2006-01-10, 20:31   Link #16
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Sousei No Aquarion

I looked but i could not find a thread on this series i have been watching it for a while now and i think it pretty good i love animation the colors are amazing the back round story is pretty original if you understand and the charcters do a good job or moving from a comedy state a series one when the episode calls for it. Just wanted to know what everyone else thinks ( Forgive my run on sentences writing this in hurry)
Sinestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-11, 02:56   Link #17
KBTKaiser

there was a huge thread on it, but the fact that it's a Media Factory related work kinda keep people from talking about it despite the fact that there are still groups subbing it.(and no, I'm not giving names)
KBTKaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-11, 07:11   Link #18
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Since the whole thread was swallowed up by the forum crash, I'll recreate 50% of the conversation right here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy A
Hey, this show is just a copy of Evangelion. They rip off so many of the plots and stuff that it sucks. It's also extremely cliched and there isn't anything original here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise anime fan
No, you don't understand. This show isn't intended to be taken seriously. It is a satire of the mecha genres, especially Evangelion and the entire gattai sub-genre. When you watch it, you need to realize that it is making fun of Evangelion!

Also, if you watch some more episodes you'll realize that there is actually quite a bit of original material in the way their cliches are re-arranged. Those cliches though are key since mocking cliches is central to satire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy A
Oh. Heh. Now that I see what it is about, this is actually a pretty funny send up of Eva and conjoining robot shows. Thanks
I can't tell you how many times I suffered through repetitive variations of that conversation. It's almost a relief that this thread was swallowed by the forum crash. I say "almost" because there was a bit of interesting analysis of the various episodes as well.

Now that we have a new start and only FOUR more episodes to be fansubbed, perhaps the conversation will escape the awareness of folks who just don't get it.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-12, 02:47   Link #19
KBTKaiser

Prophet, it was pulled from the animesuki listings on the grounds of being Media Factory work, no liscensing. Still a good show, considering I've gone absolutely nuts on collecting what merchandise I could.

Acquisitions:
SnA PS2 game
SnA Perfect Works Strategy Guide
DX Chogokin Aquarion
DX Chogokin Assault Aquarion(Preordered, to be released February)
KBTKaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-28, 14:05   Link #20
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
Final Episode!

It kicked so much ass, It was amazing.

I never thought I'd get so deep into an anime that is so cheesy on the surface, but its pretty good if you can look past the cheeseballedness.
Komataguri is offline   Reply With Quote