AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2012-12-30, 04:28   Link #1
Jarulf

Love

I'm looking for manga or anime dealing with adult relationships (can be, but doesn't have to be sexually explicit as long as it's not the focus of the manga or anime. Not looking for hentai this time).

For this one I'd prefer something low-key and relatively realistic and without too much over the top angst and darkness. Modern setting, or at least close to it. And a proper story arc, not a soap that just goes on and on until cancelled.

Did I just describe a Josei?

Things I've liked in the past include:
YKK
Aria (though not as much as YKK)
Moribito: Guardian of the forest
Tramps like us (though I tired eventually)
Walking Man
Yotsuba& (impossible not to like)
Usagi Drop (Nice too, untill well...)
House of Five Leaves (reading this one)
Bride's Story (this one too)
Old 2012-12-30, 05:12   Link #2
Xarvi

Do you mean like just a plain simple relationship between a boy and a girl? highschoolers?
With or without action/sci-fi?
Basically an anime about relationships, where they just learn to deal with problems and live together?
I'm not really in to Mangas, but I have quite a thing for Animes. If you could give me more of what you like/dislike and more what you want of an anime I could give you a decent list!
Xarvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-30, 05:39   Link #3
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
I'm looking for manga or anime dealing with adult relationships
Ariais that kind?

Sorry.. Please be specific....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-30, 06:14   Link #4
Jarulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xarvi View Post
Do you mean like just a plain simple relationship between a boy and a girl? highschoolers?
Not quite. A plain and simple relationship,. while sweet probably doesn't make for an all that interesting story, so something that deals with them slowly falling in love and dealing with their insecurities, jealosies, eventually moving in together and so on. And about grown-ups, post college. Non-episodic slice of life if that makes sense.

Quote:
With or without action/sci-fi?
Not action, sci-fi is fine as long as it doesn't focus on the action.

Quote:
Basically an anime about relationships, where they just learn to deal with problems and live together?
Spot on

Lets see if I can describe this better.
I want an anime (primarily, though manga suggestions are fine too and probably easier to find) that deals with two adults falling in love (possibly reluctantly, hesistantly having had bad relationships previously) and dealing with their own emotions as well as the reactions of the people around them (exes, family, friends and co-workers).

A typical scenario might be an overworked and depressed salaryman who get's laid off or on sick leave who moves back over the summer to the village he comes from. There he meets his old friends, parents and soon the love interest. They get to talk, take walks and find themselves slowly falling in love but have to deal with the fact he has to move back to the city soon. Does he quit his job for her, does she follow him?

Just normal life with interesting characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Ariais that kind?

Sorry.. Please be specific....
Not quite sure what it is you're asking, sorry. If you meant Aria, it's not quite what I was looking for.
Old 2012-12-30, 06:23   Link #5
NoemiChan
Banned

Probably has adult romance content that may contain adult scenes but not explicit.

Nana
Bubblegum Crisis
Clannad Afterstory
(later part)
Ergo Proxy (later part)
Genji Monogatari
Itazuri na Kiss
(later part)
Onegai Teacher (they're adult actually)
Records of Lodoss War
Old 2012-12-30, 06:27   Link #6
Eragon
Still Alive

NANA, maybe...Hmm, Paradise Kiss too, maybe..........
Old 2012-12-30, 06:44   Link #7
Xarvi

Currently I'm watching Kimi ni Todoke, which So far (i'm only 10 eps in) seem to fit your description. Honestly, I haven't seen many animes where there are "grown ups" the most mature animes with some kind of good story, tends to be about *kids* in highschool/collage.
  • Itazura na Kiss - (I think this one is pretty much what you're looking for, I don't want to give any spoilers, but based on what you said before, this sounds like just the anime for you.)
  • Suzuka - (It's about a guy pretty much trying to get a girl to like him, it's a high school / sports anime. I really liked it and it had both sad and romantic scenes.)
  • True Tears - (It's a love triangle, It's been pretty long since i watched it, but I recall it being a innocent anime with cute characters and interesting story.)
  • Aishiteruze Baby - (It's about a teenager taking care of a kid, and it's sort of a love triangle, because the kid wants him for herself (non sexual) and at the same time he has a crush on someone else. (trying not to give any spoilers) I was unwilling to watch this at first glance, but I'm oh so happy that I did, It's an amazing story, and it has some very emotional episodes.)
  • Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora - (It's about a boy and a girl, currently staying in a hospital and they take a liking to each others. It has some dramatic events and I found it being well worth watching.)
  • Sukitte Iinayo - (Supposedly unpopular girl meets the most popular guy in school and they start to take a liking for each others. Cute characters and I found this one worth watching!)
  • Steins;Gate - (So this one was a pretty weird one (there is some shooting and action in this one, not so much family kind of relationship), It involves time travel and gets rather messy, they change things in the past and people starts dying. And then they're trying to fix their mess pretty much. It's kinda slow at the start (imo) but gets way better at the end.)
  • Myself ; Yourself - (Also very long time since I saw this one, It's about a guy that moved back to his hometown after being away for a few years (highschool) and things have changed between him and his best friend. I'm not going to give any spoilers so I can't really say anything about this one, but it has both romantic and sad episodes. I think you'll like it.)
  • natsuyuki rendezvous - (It's basically a love triangle, It's a wierd one, i'll just give a link!>natsuyuki rendezvous

I have a thread at Anime tear-jerkers*most* of the animes there have some sort of romance / drama surrounding the show. If you just look up the names in the thread you might find something you like!
Xarvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-30, 06:51   Link #8
Jarulf

Several possibilities there, thank you. Nana and Genji Monogatari in particular. I have read or watched Paradise Kiss previously, but it didn't really grab me but maybe I'll give it a second chance. Still, as with some of the other suggestions the MC is a bit young.
Old 2012-12-30, 07:00   Link #9
Jarulf

Thanks, Xarvi. The fact that there seem to be so few anime about adults for adults (if we're not counting young-adults, twenties here) is why I posted here in the first place, and suspect it's easier to find manga. Maybe I should try to find some live action shows, not sure where though?

I'll take a look at your suggestion, thanks again.
Old 2012-12-30, 07:15   Link #10
NoemiChan
Banned

It can't be avoided since much of the animes are school based.
Old 2012-12-30, 07:18   Link #11
Jarulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
It can't be avoided since much of the animes are school based.
Yup, that's what annoys me
Old 2012-12-30, 08:30   Link #12
Fevvers
a regular van veen

Check out Ohikkoshi (hilarious with quite deep insights too, also DAT ART) and Hataraki Man (adult relationships plus work, work and work).
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-30, 08:40   Link #13
Jarulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fevvers View Post
Check out Ohikkoshi (hilarious with quite deep insights too, also DAT ART) and Hataraki Man (adult relationships plus work, work and work).
These definitely look promising, thank you.
Old 2012-12-30, 09:00   Link #14
Fevvers
a regular van veen

Oh! Almost forgot, do try Dance Till Tomorrow, although I do warn you that the author is a bit unconventional. While I personally prefer Yamamoto's other works (like Arigatou and Believers which deals with far more serious themes), I found Dance Till Tomorrow quite fascinating in that it's a series steep in social commentary (of marriage and women's role in general) yet pretending to be something akin to a 90s screwball comedy. Or at least, that's what I got out off it. Might be different for you though.
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-30, 09:26   Link #15
Jarulf

That sounds pretty interesting, Fevvers. While I like cute girls as much as most guys, the way women get portrayed in manga and anime sometimes can get a bit tiresome. I'm looking at you Ai Yori Aoshi.
Old 2012-12-30, 09:50   Link #16
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

True adult romances are very hard to find in anime, as are adults themselves. You might like Nodame Cantabile about two students in a college-level music conservatory. A couple of other options that, like Nodame, include a romance between a young woman and her slightly older male senpai include Planetes and Toshokan Sensou.

Another option is Ristorante Paradiso about a young Japanese woman who travels to Italy in search of the mother that abandoned her and ends up working in a restaurant where the entire staff is middle-aged and wears glasses.

Finally I'll suggest the now out-of-print and thus hard-to-find Saiunkoku Monogatari which, like Ristorante Paradiso, follows the "reverse harem" model of a female protagonist surrounded by a number of potential male suitors. Romance is a part of the story, but it focuses more on the heroine's struggles to become the first female official in her country, which is modelled on T'ang China.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-12-30 at 10:01.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-30, 11:48   Link #17
Jarulf

Planetes is a favourite of mine, one which I forgot to mention earlier. Nodame Cantabile, well she is a bit too ditzy to make her very interesting imo. I have some of the first books on my shelf. I'll check the others you mention, the last two look interesting.

Is it ok to ask for suggestions for live action movies or TV shows here as well? It looks like I may have more options there, not that some of the suggestions I've already got don't look interesting. (I hope I got my negations right in that last bit...)

As always, thanks
Old 2012-12-30, 17:07   Link #18
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Nodame gets much less ditzy as the show develops. One of the most inspriring parts of the story is watching her discover her abilities and become more committed to being a performance artist.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-30, 17:56   Link #19
Dawnstorm

I can only talk about anime, since I don't really read manga.

Definitely Nana; it's among the best.

I'd also like to second Natsuyuki Rendesvouz. A widow runs her husbands flower shop. Husband still hangs around in the form of a ghost, and the only one who can see him is the young part timer who took the job because he's in love with the widow.

Also maybe Rec, and White Album; both deal, in very different ways, with what it's like if your girlfriend works in the entertainment industry (voice acting/idols respectively).
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-30, 21:39   Link #20
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
What you want is Maison Ikkoku:

Godai is a young man who has graduated highschool, trying to get into college. He's renting a room in a run down old apartment. A new landlady moves in to run the place. Godai falls head over heels for her. Kyoko finds his attentions flattering, but is not particularly interested. She's a widow, and far more mature the Godai.

Over the next 4 years, Godai matures and develops into the kind of man who is worthy of a woman like Kyoko.

Another you might like would be Honey and Clover

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote