AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Old 2007-05-21, 13:18   Link #21
JEEB
Bishoujo fanatic
*Fansubber

KudoShinichi, if you mean the the mobile phone, it's a NTT DoCoMo P902iS. Tsukasa's is a P702i.
Old 2007-05-21, 14:16   Link #22
KudoShinichi
Exceed Drive

ah. thks alot for the info!!! issit possible to use it outside of japan?
KudoShinichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-21, 14:57   Link #23
JEEB
Bishoujo fanatic
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by KudoShinichi View Post
ah. thks alot for the info!!! issit possible to use it outside of japan?
The fast answer: No, you can't. It has 3G roaming, so it has a network selector and stuff, but it's locked for the DoCoMo USIM cards, which makes it unusable by just buying it and putting your own SIM/USIM card in.

But in theory you could use it if you would have a contract with NTT DoCoMo (which would be, like, non-cost-efficient IMHO). And yeah, since DoCoMo phones open up their menu without USIM cards, you could use them as camera / media players if you get one.

Users with just GSM in their country can just forget about it, as it's 3G- only (as Japan only has W-CDMA, PHS, CDMA, CDMA2000 networks - no GSM).
Old 2007-05-21, 14:59   Link #24
KudoShinichi
Exceed Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEB View Post
The fast answer: No, you can't. It has 3G roaming, so it has a network selector and stuff, but it's locked for the DoCoMo USIM cards, which makes it unusable by just buying it and putting your own SIM/USIM card in.

But in theory you could use it if you would have a contract with NTT DoCoMo (which would be, like, non-cost-efficient IMHO). And yeah, since DoCoMo phones open up their menu without USIM cards, you could use them as camera / media players if you get one.

Users with just GSM in their country can just forget about it, as it's 3G- only (as Japan only has W-CDMA, PHS, CDMA, CDMA2000 networks - no GSM).
thk u for e fast reply. somehw i feel so heartbroken xD
Old 2007-05-21, 15:08   Link #25
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
If you're willing to pay more, it's possible. I have a friend from Japan who recently married an American man and still uses her Japanese phone in the U.S. (and in Germany now since he was transferred).
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-21, 15:39   Link #26
JEEB
Bishoujo fanatic
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
If you're willing to pay more, it's possible. I have a friend from Japan who recently married an American man and still uses her Japanese phone in the U.S. (and in Germany now since he was transferred).
No offence, but didn't I tell that roaming option already?...

"But in theory you could use it if you would have a contract with NTT DoCoMo (which would be, like, non-cost-efficient IMHO)."

And I might add that the SoftBank phones have more GSM roaming (since the company was bought by Vodafone Group when it was still called J-Phone at the time [making it Vodafone K.K. AKA Vodafone Japan], and it was heavily out forward, with 3G and GSM roaming-capable phones and with bringing phones like 902SH, 703SH, 903SH to Europe; Now it's a Japanese company again, with the SoftBank group [LiveDoor関係だったよね?] as its main owner). NTT DoCoMo has 3G roaming at almost all of its new models now and the 905i model range should be bringing full roaming support (more models with GSM, too).

And here I end my rant again...

EDIT: I really, really hope, Risaa, that you won't be offended by my text, I just really try to write extensively...
Old 2007-05-21, 15:52   Link #27
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Sorry about that.. I caught the "in theory" part but I'm the most un-l33t person when it comes to phones, so I got scared when I saw all the capital letters in abbreviations. In short... I comprehended very little of that paragraph and it sounded a little like KudoShinichi might not've understood it either. Sorry.
Old 2007-05-21, 15:56   Link #28
KudoShinichi
Exceed Drive

i guess i would use it as a camera,media player if i were to get my hands on 1.
Old 2007-05-21, 15:59   Link #29
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Just be aware "roaming" usually means you need a wheelbarrow-ful of credit cards to handle the $$$/minute.

Japan is full of the coolest phones and features --- its like the whole country is their test market.... all we get overseas are the conservative product escapees

However, it is getting better here. I recently got a Sony Erickson w810i which is a phone ( EDGE, GSMxxxx), MP3/image/video recorder-player (Memory Stick Pro Duo (up to 8GB), TFT screen, uncrippled connectivity (USB, Bluetooth), PDA-stuff (organizer, notes, task, alarms), etc).....

Its only real downside is that it doesn't fold up and the accessory/cable connector is one of those "universal" bulky multi-pin things rather than just a USB port.

Currently, Kagami runs my phone with her theme pack
Old 2007-05-21, 16:00   Link #30
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Ah! That's why I'm so, so, very much looking forward to shopping for a phone when I get there. I already have an idea as to what kind I want... *_*
Old 2007-05-21, 16:03   Link #31
KudoShinichi
Exceed Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Just be aware "roaming" usually means you need a wheelbarrow-ful of credit cards to handle the $$$/minute.

Japan is full of the coolest phones and features --- its like the whole country is their test market.... all we get overseas are the conservative product escapees
yea. i would do tat only if i was flooded with cash
Old 2007-05-21, 16:16   Link #32
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Hmm... My phone is blue, and has a little kangaroo buddy on it. It is a flip-phone with camera and flash, and can record video... Has bluetooth and the PDA stuff Vexx mentioned (at least the alarm and calendar and notes stuff)... I've been downloading L*S pictures to it, so it's very L*S themed... I also downloaded Motteke! Sailor Fuku and am using that as a ringtone (thinking about changing it so that "timotei.. timotei... timoteeei!" plays when I get a text message...) It says it's "Model: MM-8300" and I call it my Roo-Phone. XD

Aah, forgot to mention, it's complete with little bells and Hello Kitty charms I've attached to it... and my Eeyore-dressed-as-Tigger thingie.

When I go to Japan... I want a camera flip-phone that is neat and tiny and has a phone buddy and has lots of neat animated images all over it, and will guard my apartment at night, and will unfold into a pen, robot, or scooter depending on what I need, and.. and... *__*
Old 2007-05-21, 16:28   Link #33
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
While it's possible for SOME Japanese model phones to operate on GSM networks, most of them will not. Sad.

Japanese 3G phones, such as most Vodafone 3G phones (a few specific models excluded) and DoCoMo's "roaming-ready" models of their FOMA line will roam just fine on GSM... but even so, most phones still won't operate with SIM cards from different operators. Some of the more recent Vodafone models will, though, and oh-how-I-pine-for-them. That's probably what your friend had.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-21, 16:39   Link #34
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Friend of mine just finished visiting Cambodia and was amazed to discover his Cingular-chipped phone worked just fine there, so he texted and photo'ed his way through the country (he avoided voice since it was $4USD/minute for roaming charges).

He had just figured they were on Japanese or Chinese frequency choices so it surprised him.
Old 2007-05-21, 19:31   Link #35
aorta

I got the Drama CD today and the voices aren't that much different except for Konata, although the cd seemed to not focus on her that much, so it hard to tell.
aorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-27, 09:24   Link #36
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

http://www.oricon.co.jp/rank/js/d/

Just four days upon its release (May 23rd), Motteke! Seifuku has now risen to third in the Oricon singles chart, a bit of scrolling reveals it remains in the top five ever since its release. Such is the collective power of Akiba.

Also, the producers seems to have learned their lesson from Hare Hare Yukai and produced extra more in stockpiles so that it won't be sold out too quickly, thus ensuring it stays on the chart for that little bit longer.

Off topic, but it seems the OP of Hayate no Gotoku seems to be getting quite a high ranking on its opening day as well.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-27, 13:10   Link #37
aorta

http://7andy.yahoo.co.jp/books/detail?accd=07173968

Does anyone know what this book is?
aorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-27, 22:00   Link #38
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Hmmm, from what I can parse of it, it looks like some fanbook that Kadokawa put out last fall. It is probably an upscale magazine format and probably contains imagery of the various products, artwork, pics, interviews, etc. I have some similar products for Mahoraba: Heartful Days, Negima, and a couple of others... that's my guess at it.
Old 2007-05-27, 22:01   Link #39
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aorta View Post
http://7andy.yahoo.co.jp/books/detail?accd=07173968

Does anyone know what this book is?
That is the piece of heaven I've been trying to get my hands on for a few weeks! It's the Lucky*Star artbook "okiraku Carnival"... from what I understand, it comes with some tiny accessories, as well... I don't remember what the little accessories are though.
Old 2007-05-28, 03:15   Link #40
JEEB
Bishoujo fanatic
*Fansubber

Quote:
That is the piece of heaven I've been trying to get my hands on for a few weeks! It's the Lucky*Star artbook "okiraku Carnival"... from what I understand, it comes with some tiny accessories, as well... I don't remember what the little accessories are though.
As for what I parsed here it contains a Konata pillow cover, an 'okiraku' mobile phone cleaner cloth and "a balloon with Konata's sayings". And damn, those resellers take a good price for it