AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2012-05-09, 12:14   Link #3281
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Aside from the author and Haruhi's subconscious? No. No one understands all.

Save maybe Nagato...but only if she scanned her future self to a point where she had observed everything. She might now everything, but understanding is something her species is struggling with (why else send an observer?)

Mikuru's group should know at least what all happened (from their point of view) but they might not understand everything that happened.

Ituski is pulling stuff out of thin air. Making stuff up that seems to make sense on the fly. The Orginization knows Haruhi. But all the rest of the things happening? Those are beyond our sciences.

Kyon? Kyon knows only what he is told and what he sees. But...he is also the unreliable narrator. He could know everything but not be telling us. He could be telling us all this from the future (like telling his children a story) bue we can't tell because he's style is such you can't always tell when he is narrating, talking in his head, or talking out loud.
Old 2012-05-09, 14:21   Link #3282
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

i think haruhi's line is the simplest line because she does not know anything, for her everything is going like a normal life but
one can also say that she is the most ignorant character because so many things are happening in different worlds because of her and doesn't even know it.

I am under the impression that this series is puposely made in such a way that the viewer will only understand how much the main protagonist understands i.e. Kyon
Old 2012-07-06, 22:06   Link #3283
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
It's time again to send our wishes to Vega and Altair! Go to the official site, click the blue bar that says "七夕緊急ミーティング!" and enter your wishes! Let's see who's wishes came true in 16 and 32 years!

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-06, 22:19   Link #3284
B2-Lancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
It's time again to send our wishes to Vega and Altair! Go to the official site, click the blue bar that says "七夕緊急ミーティング!" and enter your wishes! Let's see who's wishes came true in 16 and 32 years!
So wishes and prayers can only travel at the speed of light? No wonder it's taking God so long to get here!
B2-Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-06, 22:24   Link #3285
B2-Lancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystogan View Post
i think haruhi's line is the simplest line because she does not know anything, for her everything is going like a normal life but
one can also say that she is the most ignorant character because so many things are happening in different worlds because of her and doesn't even know it.
Wish they had at least a "fantasy" episode of them spilling all the beans to her about what she is and see how that rolls!
B2-Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-06, 22:54   Link #3286
ijuinkun

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2-Lancer View Post
Wish they had at least a "fantasy" episode of them spilling all the beans to her about what she is and see how that rolls!
Spoiler for Novel 11 epilogue:

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2012-07-07 at 09:29. Reason: Not everyone has read novels 10 and 11...
ijuinkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-05, 17:21   Link #3287
Lightning_Wing

Who would agree that the Haruhi anime series would have benefited from a more abstract, Shaft-style visualization?

The KyoAni production was extremely well done as it is, however, the focus makes it seem more slice-of-life than what the sci-fi backstory would have entailed. An abstract approach would have helped out the story, in my view, over the straight version that was often taken by the animation staff.
Old 2012-11-05, 17:33   Link #3288
eponarider1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning_Wing View Post
Who would agree that the Haruhi anime series would have benefited from a more abstract, Shaft-style visualization?

The KyoAni production was extremely well done as it is, however, the focus makes it seem more slice-of-life than what the sci-fi backstory would have entailed. An abstract approach would have helped out the story, in my view, over the straight version that was often taken by the animation staff.
a huge thing the novels (and anime) have going for them though is the "typical teenager sucked into a crazy life with Haruhi" aspect. Kyon's commentary, especially the opening segment of the first novel/ first episode, depicts him as being the "every-guy". That, for me, is what makes it such an amazing series. You see this normal guy have his world turned upside down by this extreme character. I would recommend the novels, as I loved getting to read about Kyon growing into his role. The anime and movie cover up to where the series really takes off (Disappearance is book 4 of 11). Novels 7 & 9-11 for me were soooo much better than the earlier novels.
eponarider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-12, 04:55   Link #3289
ara-kun

Could anybody please help me to find japanese subs or captions for Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu?
ara-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 18:02   Link #3290
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ara-kun View Post
Could anybody please help me to find japanese subs or captions for Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu?
Uh . . . Amazon? eBay? Any reputable seller of Blu-Rays and DVDs? The show's been out on DVD/Blu-Ray for years now, and has been licensed, so that's pretty much the only answer you'll get around these parts.
Old 2013-01-13, 21:03   Link #3291
ijuinkun

Yes, the Blu-Rays (I don't know about the regular DVDs) have both English and Japanese voice tracks with English subtitles on on the same disk.
ijuinkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-14, 03:08   Link #3292
Goggen

I think the poster was asking for Japanese subs. The BDs doesn't have that, don't know about the DVDs.
Old 2013-01-14, 05:41   Link #3293
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

That was the impression I was getting. Wouldn't that be something like closed captioning in Japanese?
Old 2013-01-15, 12:51   Link #3294
ara-kun

GMT
There is no Japanese subtitles on DVD\BD, in my version at least.

ijuinkun
Japanese subtitles.

Goggen
Maybe subs are putted on Japanese BDs, but I don't know how to find it out.

Ithekro
Yes, closed captioning, even scripts will be fine.
ara-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-06, 16:31   Link #3295
cakeman
Brigade Chief

I happen to love how faithful the anime is to the books and all the little details they sneek in. Does anyone have a favorite chapter/story that wasn't included in the anime?

If anyone's interested in the novels but doesn't have time to listen to em, I've been working on an audio book of the novels and plan to go through most if not all of them. http://www.youtube.com/user/S0SAudio
cakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-06, 20:02   Link #3296
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeman View Post
I happen to love how faithful the anime is to the books and all the little details they sneek in. Does anyone have a favorite chapter/story that wasn't included in the anime?

If anyone's interested in the novels but doesn't have time to listen to em, I've been working on an audio book of the novels and plan to go through most if not all of them. http://www.youtube.com/user/S0SAudio
Certainly a worthwhile endevour, even though the novels are light enough reading material that time shouldn't be a big concern in reading them.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-10, 04:47   Link #3297
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Finally! I just finished the anime series (in chronological order for minimal confusion).

Is it weird that I felt like the series is not that fantastical to me? Yeah, we're talking about espers, time travelers, closed spaces, and all kinds of shit, but basically, it is a simple story about a quirky girl and her interactions with other people in the point of view of a "normalistic" person.

Ironically, what happened in "Someday in the Rain", despite the glaring lack of animation throughout the episode, also showed the greatest step of character development between Haruhi and Kyon, probably second to the kiss scene during the closed space attack in Melancholy Part VI. In romantic terms, there is nothing yet to be called as truly "love", but the amount of trust is enough to push the relationship of Haruhi and Kyon as a couple.

While memories of the anime are still fresh, I should follow it up with the Disappearance Movie.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-10, 04:58   Link #3298
ices
Working Hard

^ Did you watch all of the endless eight?
ices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-10, 07:38   Link #3299
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

It wasn't recommended to me, so I didn't.
At the last episode of Endless Eight, though, I felt that Kyon and Haruhi are the only things keeping the balance of the world — it's like Kyon and Haruhi are conspired to be together by fate to avoid having a universe full of chaos. The fact that Itsuki has been pointing out how important Kyon is for Haruhi's state of mind seems to point to that.

Wait, there's something else in the other six episodes of Endless Eight aside from things repeating for more than 15,000 iterations?
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-10, 08:32   Link #3300
Pinwheel10
WHOOSH!

Aside from the SOS Brigade wearing a different set of clothes every episode, nothing that I can recall. There was one episode where the motif was airplanes, like there were numerous shots of airplanes throughout the ep, and I swear I almost believed that airplanes were indeed the answer to the ever repeating cycle

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, school life, science fiction, shounen