AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2011-04-06, 09:25   Link #2201
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Some speculations say they might just do it on the 31st or something so that it coincides with Walpurgisnacht.
Old 2011-04-06, 13:32   Link #2202
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deconstructor View Post
Ha! Once the overwhelming mob defending Shaft wore down and enough time passed by, you finally show your true colors. Initially, you were more hesitant to condemn the forces that be, even though you seemed to lean towards my position.
Nah, my opinion hasn't changed much - back then all I said is that delaying Madoka in favor of giving news regarding the earthquake and tsunami damage was perfectly okay and reasonable (I wouldn't have minded the March 17th airing being delayed for 'sensitivity' reasons since that still was the immediate aftermath - I don't think anything should have been delayed for those reasons, but it would have been understandable - but anything beyond that would be too much, and outright cancelling things such as games and whatnot just sounds completely wrong to me). Of course, we have no idea why Madoka's being delayed and it might have nothing to do at all with self-censorship, so maybe I'm complaining about nothing.

As for the April 31st theory... that kind of reminds me of what KyoAni did with the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya DVDs, which could have been released in August or September (As per the usual DVD schedule) but were released December 18th to coincide with the story. That was kind of annoying since I didn't think that little Easter egg was worth the three-four month wait... with Madoka it's a bit different. I think it would be cool to think 'Hey, the stuff we're watching might be going on right now' (This immersion feature was negligible with Disappearance because Haruhi takes place somewhere in the mid-2000s, not 2010, who cares about it being December 18th both in the real world and the show when it's the December 18th of seven years ago). It's not so cool that I want to wait so long just for that, but if they do go the April 31st route that will be a nifty little bonus.

Last edited by Dr. Casey; 2011-04-06 at 13:44.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 14:19   Link #2203
Snork
Twilight lander

Send a message via ICQ to Snork
But would that be worth it? We have all seen Walpurgis Night; it hardly carries the main impact all by itself otherwise than probably unleashing some kabooming sequences to make Michael J. Bay drool. If there's anything relevant storywise, it also goes in favour of demonstrating as soon as possible. Purposedly delaying the final of the popular show for the sake of timing with an obscure European date that the majority of Japanese fandom have but googled... I believe Shaft is saner than that.
Besides, all the bits of info hint that Walpurgis Night is coming in ep 11 already. If they time it to April 30, their promise to fiish the broadcast within April will go out the window. Unless they DO deliver both episodes at once...
Snork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 16:47   Link #2204
Key Board
Carbon

Angry

Apparently the delay being MBS's fault is all but officially confirmed

http://yarareyaku.com/archives/51768319.html

As we know from a week ago. The episode is done, several staff members have watched it.

MBS just refuses to air it and refuses to provide an answer why they won't air it besides "it relates to the recent tragedy"

And if you're wondering why MBS has so much influence in this is because

1) They sponsored the production of the show
2) They have an exclusive first airing rights. If they don't get first broadcast of the show, no one else, Internet broadcast including, are allowed to pre-empt them.

Moral of the story: be careful of the clauses in your contracts
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 17:49   Link #2205
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Oh damn ... it ... GAAAAAH!!!!!!!
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 18:01   Link #2206
*Osaka*Fan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post

As we know from a week ago. The episode is done, several staff members have watched it.

MBS just refuses to air it and refuses to provide an answer why they won't air it besides "it relates to the recent tragedy"

2) They have an exclusive first airing rights. If they don't get first broadcast of the show, no one else, Internet broadcast including, are allowed to pre-empt them.

Those lucky guys who've seen it...

Hopefully someone over there will change their minds soon. I'm clueless when it comes to legal stuff, especially in Japan, but maybe the contract can be changed to allow an online broadcast. But hey, at least the episode(s) are done and ready and if MBS thinks it's too controversial to air, there probably wasn't much or any editing or plot changing. I'll try to patiently wait for the day the official twitter is updated...
*Osaka*Fan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 19:51   Link #2207
J the Drafter

Quote:
How's that for irony? The thing about MBS is stinks, though.
Superman: “You know what, Ein? Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us into something better. And on my soul, I swear — until my dream of a world where dignity, honor and justice becomes the reality we all share — I'll never stop fighting. Ever.”

“Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom” and “Superman vs. the Elite”

(Mostly accurate dialogue, but with a little editing to make it mesh better.)
J the Drafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 20:34   Link #2208
sa547
*Author

Quote:

That was so anal. But because it's from 2ch I'll wait for the official confirmation.
Old 2011-04-06, 21:17   Link #2209
Hedd
Random Object

I don't see how a freeze on the last eps effect DVD/Blu ray sales of episodes that already aired though. The airing theory doesn't strike me as quite right.
Old 2011-04-06, 21:19   Link #2210
Hagoshod
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Hagoshod
Quote:

My thoughts on the issue:

Quote:
Also, if SHAFT were to just say fuck it and stream the episodes themselves, and MBS tried to turn it around and sue them for breach of contract, wouldn't the lawsuit automatically be invalid due to MBS already being in breach of contract since signing a contract for first airing privileges is a technically promise that durrr you're actually going to air it?

Hypothetically speaking, of course.

Last edited by Hagoshod; 2011-04-06 at 21:30.
Hagoshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 21:40   Link #2211
J the Drafter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagoshod View Post
My thoughts on the issue:
Also, if SHAFT were to just say fuck it and stream the episodes themselves, and MBS tried to turn it around and sue them for breach of contract, wouldn't the lawsuit automatically be invalid due to MBS already being in breach of contract since signing a contract for first airing privileges is a technically promise that durrr you're actually going to air it?

Hypothetically speaking, of course.
SHAFT needs to have any such broadcasting requirement in writing. Otherwise there's no legal obligation for MBS to do what SHAFT wants.
Superman: “You know what, Ein? Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us into something better. And on my soul, I swear — until my dream of a world where dignity, honor and justice becomes the reality we all share — I'll never stop fighting. Ever.”

“Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom” and “Superman vs. the Elite”

(Mostly accurate dialogue, but with a little editing to make it mesh better.)
J the Drafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 21:41   Link #2212
MaiNoKen
◕ ‿‿ ◕
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547
That was so anal. But because it's from 2ch I'll wait for the official confirmation.
Considering how long time has passed, I think it is believable the episodes are finished.

However, I think it will be impossible to confirm the 2ch rumor. If it is true, MBS will never confirm that by themselves. MBS will never shoot themselves.

Staff of Shaft/Nitro+ and Urobuchi will also not likely to say anything because they could not. If they make an accusation (with proof) that MBS is holding the airing back, they may find themselves in legal hole and/or damaged relations with broadcasting stations.
MaiNoKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 21:43   Link #2213
Deconstructor
Crossdressing Menmatic

I feel quite sorry for the show. Madoka Magica is my favorite anime of the Winter 2010 season, but now it must face competition from a surprisingly competent Spring 2011 season.

By the time episode 11 airs, I might have to start thinking about my retirement funds...

Quote:
MBS is a television network. Shaft is an anime studio.
Suffice to say, one has dominance over the other.
MBS most likely wrote the contract to grant them complete control over just about everything Madoka-related. Shaft has little power.
Deconstructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 21:55   Link #2214
◕‿‿◕

Send a message via AIM to AvatarST Send a message via MSN to AvatarST
Before I rage at MBS, I do remember hearing that the episodes were meant to be airing in "mid april".

Once we're past that point...I guess I'm ready to wait for the blu ray releases.
Old 2011-04-06, 23:52   Link #2215
Jimmy C

one week to go...
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 00:09   Link #2216
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deconstructor View Post
I feel quite sorry for the show. Madoka Magica is my favorite anime of the Winter 2010 season, but now it must face competition from a surprisingly competent Spring 2011 season.

By the time episode 11 airs, I might have to start thinking about my retirement funds...

MBS is a television network. Shaft is an anime studio.
Suffice to say, one has dominance over the other.
MBS most likely wrote the contract to grant them complete control over just about everything Madoka-related. Shaft has little power.
To be fair no one predicted the earthquake would happen. I mean if things went just like every other day the series would have been done already.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 03:42   Link #2217
Snork
Twilight lander

Send a message via ICQ to Snork
Quote:
I think it would be cool to think 'Hey, the stuff we're watching might be going on right now'
Oh, I'll think so... if you show me at least one school in Japan that looks constructed of glass alone. Madokaverse is clearly offset some five to twenty years into the future as compared to ours, it's even less attached to reality than Haruhi.

Quote:

So Kyuubey is not a villain of this show, after all. MBS is. Expect fanarts.
They are in a more interesting position than Kyuubey, too. Sponsors or not, THEIR part of the deal includes actually broadcasting it. They owe it to Shaft, they owe it to Aniplex (hey, I thought it was Aniplex playing the first fiddle in this venture, not some broadcaster!), they owe it to brands who invested their CMs and money into Madoka's timeslot expecting it to have a nice-size audience. Related to the recent tragedy? Sure, I understand. Even at night, some people might run into Walpurgis Night scenery and get depressed (as in "get depressed instead of simply switching to another channel"). Then how about streaming it on your OWN site, MBS-san? With all CMs thrown in, if you care to do that? 2ch alone hosts a REAL bunch of people currently waiting their behinds off, so online broadcast shouldn't attract any less watchers than the TV broadcast would - and those who don't want to see anything reminding of March 11 will never see it (I believe they have more important matters than lurking around MBS site, huh?). Seriously, it's not the concern about "being related to the tragedy" but the way of dealing with it that I fail to understand. More so that it looks like MBS is holding Shaft in the grip of the very contract they're neglecting to fulfill themselves.

Quote:
If it is true, MBS will never confirm that by themselves. MBS will never shoot themselves.
But of course. If they did, I can easily imagine something like the infamous 2ch vs Gainax incident back in TTGL times.

Quote:
If they make an accusation (with proof) that MBS is holding the airing back, they may find themselves in legal hole and/or damaged relations with broadcasting stations.
With one of them, to be exact. And if the issue in question is true, they may not want to deal with this station ever again...
Snork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 07:27   Link #2218
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

I see a war coming up. I doubt the otakus will accept this bad treatment of their favorite series.
Old 2011-04-07, 07:40   Link #2219
Cloudy

I bet someone among the staff or the casts would go Charlie Sheen on MBS's arses.
Old 2011-04-07, 07:42   Link #2220
xizro345
King's Justice

I sincerely doubt something a la Gurren Lagann will happen this time.
xizro345 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
despair, hope, madoka magica, magical girl, urobuchi gen