AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-04-16, 19:22   Link #21
dojoo
Japanese Translator???

I don't like Lain, Inuyasha and Naruto much
People around me reckon I'm insane

And as an opposite

I like Puni Puni Poemi
...and people around me reckon I'm insane
Old 2004-04-16, 19:53   Link #22
aahhsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dojoo
I don't like Lain, Inuyasha and Naruto much
People around me reckon I'm insane

And as an opposite

I like Puni Puni Poemi
...and people around me reckon I'm insane
YOU'RE INSANE!!!

i dont' really like Full metal panic (especially the parts that are serious)

Initial D
Old 2004-04-16, 20:04   Link #23
shiden

i dislike Neon Genisis Evangeleon and Akira with a passion.

Old 2004-04-16, 20:17   Link #24
Scrumhalf
Ed & Winry? :O

Send a message via MSN to Scrumhalf
Quote:
Originally Posted by aahhsin
YOU'RE INSANE!!!

i dont' really like Full metal panic (especially the parts that are serious)

Initial D
You're Insane.
How could you not like FMP? Oh, is it because it's too good for you? That unlike Naruto; it has only one heroic main character? (Sousuke).

And I understand that you do not like Initial D - youre not the sporty type or into cars, unlike me, which is fine.

Now to the anime I hate but everyone seems to like?
Chrno Crusade.
Old 2004-04-16, 20:19   Link #25
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

An anime I hate, but everyone else seem to like is: Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien. I think I wrote a post about it long time ago...ah...here it is. I bet people are going to be flouncing their anger now...

EDIT: Just thought of another one: Saikano.

Last edited by Muir Woods; 2004-04-16 at 21:08.
Old 2004-04-16, 20:37   Link #26
Melazoma

Send a message via AIM to Melazoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckles
I agree, by doing these changes one might hear good things about
an anime one would not give a chance in the first place.
With the thread as it is we will only hear about anime like, cowboy bebop
evangelion, db, naruto, or some other 100+ eps series that has a big following.

[edit]
Anime that I like. that some people don't give a chance: Blue Gender (many
people give up after first 2 eps.) and Gundam-X (because it was droped early)
About Gundam X... it's my understanding that there is no R2 DVD release to date. The fansub that's out there is so... weird, is what I call it. I can stand the video being slightly grainier--It was a few years ago. The thing that half-murders me and my ears is the audio. There is so much noise, that no matter how I adjust my wave/headset, my ears are in constant pain. Still I watch it because... just because. Or maybe because I played SD G Gundam Seed on PS2, which features Gundam X MSs. I have to admit, the story worthy of the name "Gundam" is there, despite some awkward (see: barely justified) characters--now if my ears can only stand so much noise...

Addendum: Whee! (Sarcasm this time) I posted again here only to reply and encourage Knuckle's liking of Gundam X-- as I read furthur into the second page, I see "You're INSANE" a few times already. I'm now quite convinced that the current model of the topic's question simply does not hold up very well in a forum as large and as diverse as this one.
Old 2004-04-16, 21:09   Link #27
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

Well the theme of this thread is different from the 'best anime evar' threads, it's still just tossing around names. I do think this thread could be better if people state why they hate the anime they do, and perhaps references some of the shows they like.

I mean, if you like simple characters, straightforward action, and don't care if the plot makes sense so long as you get your kicks from other parts of the show, then you're probably going to hate shows that are full of character developement, detailed, complex plotlines, and light on the action.

For me, however, those shows are my bread and butter. Legend of the Galactic Heroes, for example, features some of the most well done character/plot developement, epic storylines, and complex character interaction in all of anime. I eat this sort of stuff right up. I absolutely adore it. But entire episodes go by where no action takes place, it's just commanders, diplomats, and rulers discussing things, making threats, putting plots into motion, and the occiassional scenes that show the epic scenario from the everyday person's sort of view. The battles are glorious, millions of spaceships all lined up in their formations, exchanging tons of fire...but it's all shown from an epic, big picture sort of viewpoint, with only glimpses of the action from the eyes of the fighter pilots and ships gunners.

Shonen action fans, Gundam Wing/FMP fanatics are likely to look at a show like this and go, "WTF? Where's the action? This is boring. Boring and gay."

Macross 7 shares some similar problems in that it's very light on action, but focuses very heavily on some of the best character developement anime has to offer. The entire show is also based around some very specific ideals, and if you can't relate to those ideals, you're not likely to enjoy the show. What action there is is often very poorly animated, with lots of recycled animation. Not much fun to look at, unlike other Macross shows like Plus and Zero where the fast paced, and incredibly detailed mecha action is the highlight of the show.

I do so love shows that stick to their guns, where the creator's ideals shine through in a very well-told sort of way, such as shows like Captain Herlock. Shows where the characters stand for something, and those ideals and beliefs can come into question and be put to the test in exciting, yet believable ways.

I also love shows like Lupin III, with quirky, memorable characters, gadgets, and plots. Everything about these characters just oozes class and personality. From their costumes, to their voices, to what kind of car they drive.

But because of my own personal tastes, there's a lot of very popular anime that is simply not my cup of tea.

Gundam Wing was one of the primary offenders for a very long time. This show was just far more popular than it ever deserved to be. The characters were flat, many were forgettable. They didn't stand for anything, often just moving to advance the action without any real storytelling significance. The main characters and their mecha were all far overpowered, only ever coming into some sort of dire situation through blatant plot devices and horrible writing. The overall plot was painful to comrehend, there was nothing deep or insightful about it, yet the show tried to spin it off in just that light. It was simply garbage designed to cause conflict, without there really being a reason. None of the villains ideas held any merit, and the show did not even attempt to justify why these characters thought as they did in anything remotely resembling a believable manner. None of this was a problem of americanization either, as the fansubs were just as wretched.

Full Metal Panic shares some of Gundam Wing's problems with the flat, unbelievable characters, complete with the stoic, unemotional hero that is impossible to relate to. He's a gimp with a robot, that conviniently happens to be good at blowing things up. Though I must admit that FMP is not nearly as bad as Gundam Wing, I didn't actively hate it, it just did not hold my attention enough for me to want to finish it. It was completely forgettable, and yet attained a huge fanbase in the fansub community.

Naruto is much more in ling with my feelings on Gundam Wing. I just cannot stand this show. I must admit that I'm not a huge fan of the tournament shonen genre, but even as far as these shows go, there's much better than Naruto. One Piece and Hunter x Hunter are both superior in nearly every single way, yet don't seem to have nearly the popularity. What's more is the way that Naruto tries to forcefeed you a moral, down your throat in a way that flies completely and utterly against what I like about shows that serve up their ideals in a way that drives the story and the characters further, and don't wind up making the show sound like an after-school special...which is exactly how Naruto comes off. Oh no! We lost because we didn't work together as a team, like the guy toild us only about a dozen times!

Shows like DBZ, Eva, Pokemon, and Akira are all excellent examples of extreme popularity and infamy in the anime fandom. They're not bad shows, despite what people might be saying this week. They're also not the greatest anime of all time, despite what those same people might have said the week before. Such cycles are not limited to anime fandom. I can remember when MC Hammer was popular, and then a few years later, the same people that owned all his albums and praised him as one of the greatest musicians of all time were suddenly denying they ever liked him, or that they ever owned any of his albums. People do things like that, for some reason. Everyone wants to fit in with their own 'in' crowd. Whether that crowd is praising or insulting whatever happens to be popular, or used to be popular.

I can somewhat relate to this. I could not stand Pokemon when it was popular. I didn't even want to give the show or the games a chance simply because I could not walk 5 feet without some idiot jabbering to me about how great it was. It was many years later, after the excitement had died down, that I found the show was entertaining, if mostly forgettable, the some of the movies are downright enjoyable and very well done. The latest one has some excellent examples of animation and compositing, and a nifty little story. It's not a bad franchise, the games are actually excellent little throwbacks to the good old days of RPGs that were insanely difficult unless you did a lot of building up and looking for items. Tons of hours worht of gameplay.

I remember when I was one of those jabbering idiots, raving about Eva. I seriously enjoyed the show while it was running, unfortunately the show didn't hold much staying power. Once I figured out the mysteries, put together all of the unspoken going-ons, and worked out what happened at the end...that was it. Eva held no more excitement for me. I won't say it's a bad show, but it's certainly not the best. I would applaud the tv series for not spelling everything little thing out and turning into a plotless action-fest, but the movies just had to come out and ruin that effect. I absolutely cannot stand the Eva movies, and whenever I hear someone claiming that the series needed them as a 'proper' ending, it just makes me weep for the future.

Akira, not a terrible translation from manga to big screen, but it was simply the best that could be hoped for given the scope of the original manga. I do enjoy a lot of parts about it, given that it does not fall into the trap of explaining all the mysteries for an audience that is too lazy to think for themselves, but most of the characters just did not stick with me, and a lot of the events could have been fleshed out more. Of course, to do that the movie would have had to have been much longer, and it was already pushing a huge budget. Still, to this day, you have to admit that there's probably only one or two animated films that boast animation as impressive as what was achived with Akira.
Old 2004-04-16, 23:21   Link #28
Za Paper

FLCL and Saikano are a couple anime everybody raves about but I just couldn't stand them.
Old 2004-04-16, 23:24   Link #29
Longinus
光の練金術師

Hmm first and foremost is definitly Gundam Wing... to me it's just a bunch of pseudo-philosophical, anti-social pyscho freaks who call themselves pacifists with their super robots and killing ppl while saying sorry.. and ppl seem to LIKE it.

2nd would be DBZ.. well the manga is ok, because you don't have to deal with the minutes long starring and yelling ordeals. The anime is just... well you know the story.
Old 2004-04-16, 23:25   Link #30
STfan
Homicidal Kitty.

Location: In Arcueid's arms, getting my blood drained by the neck. Or at least I wish.
People rave about how incredibly good Dragonball Z is, or anything Dragonball-related, but I can't stand anything Dragonball-related. I don't know why people would like them, unless they're just looking for cheap, endless action.
Old 2004-04-16, 23:38   Link #31
TangentZ
神の一手

Send a message via ICQ to TangentZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suikun
I guess it mostly just bugs me that it's as popular as it is, when I really don't think it deserves to be. There are tons of other shows, like Now and Then, Here and There, Gunslinger Girls, etc. that deserve the amount of popularity that Cowboy Bebop gets.
Wow, you already wrote almost everything what I was going to write! Amazing!

I dislike Cowboy Bebop for much of the same reasons you listed. It bored me to tears and I dreaded through watching it (original Japanese voice).

Another series that I don't really like, but many people seem to, is Shoujo Kakumei Utena ( 少女革命ウテナ ) or Revolutionary Girl Utena.

I think Utena is one seriously messed up anime series. I'm very surprised that it has 39 (?) episodes.

No offence to anyone who likes either of the above series. I'm just stating my opinion.
Old 2004-04-17, 04:32   Link #32
Black Jaggan
Killing Intent

I really don't like Sailor Moon... First. I think the animation is horrible..it looks like my sis made it, second, the dutch dubbing is horrible, they sound like rubber duckies en last, the story is very uniteresting...it's just going nowhere...dragging on...

I think there are more shows...I don't really hate them, but they are just not interesting enough. those are shows, during which I find myself wanting to switch channels... Like for Example Wedding Peach, Doremi and Saiyuki Reload ( which I keep downing btw, cause I want to see Goku loose it...)
Old 2004-04-17, 05:28   Link #33
Youko Recca
Breakdancing Samurai

You know... show can't possibly be overated if everyone has to bitch about how BAD it is(DBZ),that just means it sucks in way you lke or don't like it to.Still don't see why anyone would want to know what other people hate.....really no point but to bitch and let off frustration.
Old 2004-04-17, 05:50   Link #34
Lambda

Well, I find Cowboy Bebop really rather boring. Not completely sure why, but I think it's mostly that the style and the characters don't really agree with me.

I'm also not a great Ghibli enthusiast. They tend to tell pretty conventional stories with much slavish imitation of reality in the direction, which immediately cuts off many of the things I love in anime.
Old 2004-04-17, 07:06   Link #35
JAppi
Banned

Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidus
I don't know about that... And Yaoi... that's just plain wrong...
I would just like to point out that Yaoi doesn't really fall into the category of shows that everyone seems to like. It's a genre aimed at women. If you were really curious for more info I would suggest you read this:
http://yaoicon.com/content/category/4/9/30/

Anyways, I don't seem to like many popular shows that other people like. Although I watch it every week, I *hate* naruto. The show seems to have lost all of it's interest what so ever. I don't want to rant and rave about it though. I guess it could be because most of the stereotypical shounen anime is somewhat boring to me. Other people like that though, so I guess it doesn't matter.
Old 2004-04-17, 11:03   Link #36
+BakuretsuNavi

I know everybody is going to post Lain, but I'm not. Lain is cool!!

So I'm going to say Inu Yasha. I love it, swear to god, but I can't seem to **fully** like a series that takes more than 50 eps just to collect shards!!

Inu is still cool though, but I know I would like it a lot better if it was shorter.

- Navi
Old 2004-04-17, 11:20   Link #37
cindialai
Tsukimori

Send a message via MSN to cindialai
Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien

Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien, yuck
Old 2004-04-17, 11:31   Link #38
Liquidus
╞╩╗

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAppi
I would just like to point out that Yaoi doesn't really fall into the category of shows that everyone seems to like. It's a genre aimed at women. If you were really curious for more info I would suggest you read this:
http://yaoicon.com/content/category/4/9/30/
Heh I wasn't really serious about that part. I don't like yaoi, and it really isn't part of my list.

Last edited by Liquidus; 2004-04-17 at 15:19.
Old 2004-04-17, 14:58   Link #39
uzumaki

Radd Beautiful post! beautiful! wonderful! ohhh how i weep, weeeeppp!

Although if this thread was indeed "what you like and everyone hates" (remeber, its only 'like' not 'love'), i would say that i like all those "kiddy" shows that everyone hates like DBZ (only till frieza), yugioh and naruto.

everyone seems to hate these shows because they think they're mindless, but i like them BECAUSE they're mindless...i think i have watched and thought and learnt so many philosophical and "intellectual" things that these mindless shows seem so nice and pleasant. Clean and light, and give you the feeling of eating something un-rich and light and fluffy after digesting rich creamy foods for years...

Someone just mentioned that they didnt like utena "because it was messed up" - well, i ask you what anime show ISN'T messed up? atleast utena did a good job of being "messed up" and interesting also.

Also, i see people who adore cowboy bebop, and i really like the noir-ish-jazzy mood of the show, bu i HATE the characters, esp spike. He's the epitome of the annoying, excessively laid back, careless, amoral pretty boy that teenage girl seem to love. But i hate his guts.

and all KGNE like soap opera shows are also puke worthy IMO. (Probably b/c the people in it are so pathetic and sessile.)
Old 2004-04-17, 15:31   Link #40
Besa
[ЀÅÐ]

Send a message via MSN to Besa
I dislike Full Moon wo Sagashite,DBZ and sailor moon....

EDIT : Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien
Closed Thread