AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Full Metal Panic

Notices

View Poll Results: Full Metal Panic Invisible Victory - Episode 12 Rating
Perfect 10 10 43.48%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 7 30.43%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 4 17.39%
7 out of 10 : Good 0 0%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 8.70%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2018-07-25, 17:18   Link #21
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasvik View Post
What I don't get is why so many people are panicked that we'll have to wait again for a long time for the next season.

Yes, a new season wasn't announced at the end of IV... does that mandatory means that we'll have to wait 10+ years? Why can't it mean 1 year? Or 2? Or 6 months?
I mean look at all the production and budget issues that this short 12 episode season got? Two delayed episodes? Episodes with 4 directors? Unshaded CG? Subpar art in certain scenes?

Honestly NONE of those issues are typical for XEBEC (which does some pretty good stuff like Yamato 2202) unless they are given insufficient time and resources to handle the project.

This isn't like the first season where GONZO was using their groundbreaking but clearly still not ready for primetime CGI.

I can't speak for everyone else but for me those are the reasons why I'm very much afraid we won't be getting more FMP anytime soon. The novels have been over for ages and I can't see this season suddenly selling like gangbusters to justify a larger investment from Kadokawa. I guess we'll just have to hope that someone high up in the company likes Gatoh-san's work enough to keep funding this even if it's done in the same limited fashion as this time.
Old 2018-07-25, 20:18   Link #22
amehmood16

We won't probably ever know the true nature of what FMPIV's production woes looked like. We can merely extrapolate based on some inferences and comments from staff members. The main issue from what I've gathered is time and the overall organization of the production was simply not there. It's painfully clear this show was not supposed to air in Spring 2018 and should have been pushed back.

Why didn't this happen? Several reasons for sure. Probably one of the biggest imo, is some contractual agreement with other companies on the production committee. Bandai is on the committee meaning they invested money into IV and obviously their return on that investment is in the form of Plastic Model kits of the AS. The anime while being its own thing is also a glorified commercial for these kits. Having delay the anime hurts the sales of the kits because Bandai releases them when there's no airing anime meaning less sales. It's all promotion. That's probably a big reason why they had to rush to get all these later episodes out despite them not being ready.

Another possible reason is improper utilization of staff. Like I've noted many times, there was a fair number of Yamato staff on this show. Yamato 2202 is currently ongoing so there may have been taking staff on and off of FMPIV. This can hurt consistency and the producers were not able to efficiently handle the production.

Again, all educated speculation but speculation nonetheless. What I would bet is happening right now is work being done on the later episodes that weren't as polished as the first few episodes to make them better for the home video release. Notably OMF and MMD arcs. I would expect these arcs to be a bit better looking in the BD release. OMO was comparatively much less problematic in the production value department. I'm personally curious to see if they touched up the car chase scene at all among a few other things but I can understand if they didn't do that considering the staff just finished the finale not too long ago.

This isn't just FMP either, this is an industry wide problem greatly exacerbated by the pitfalls of the production committee model and the insane number of anime being produced nowadays. Some shows just can't avoid it. Marchen Madchen and BEATLESS are two from the past couple of seasons that come to mind, plagued with even worse production issues than FMP. I consider it a miracle that this show was able to finish on a relatively decent note considering all that's happened. Yeah, KyoAni would have been great but they will never touch FMP again, simply because they are more interested in acquiring their own animation property rights so they can get the most money out of producing anime rather than be a slave to a publishing company like Kadokawa. Also, they probably aren't suited for a high profile mecha series. I'm almost certain if they did it would be 3DCG based on the Chuu2 Depth of Field short which was the closest thing they've done to mecha since TSR.

Anyways, long-winded comments aside, there is a stage event at the Fantasia Bunko festival for FMP in October. This comes after the complete release of all the BDs. I'm sure Gatoh will be there and he'll probably talk about the future of the franchise including what's in store for the anime. I am still convinced we will get the last season. I can't see Gatoh having committed to this season if there was not even a good chance there would be another. And from what I've seen through articles and hobby blogs, the model kits are selling out and constantly need to be restocked. I think that's a good sign that IV is being profitable. That's mainly how Gundam makes its money too and we all know how successful that franchise is. The first BD is out and we will see in a week what the sales will start to look like. Things are far from over. The franchise is still in a much better spot than it has been since TSR ended. No need to despair yet.
Old 2018-07-26, 01:17   Link #23
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
I mean look at all the production and budget issues that this short 12 episode season got? Two delayed episodes? Episodes with 4 directors? Unshaded CG? Subpar art in certain scenes?

Honestly NONE of those issues are typical for XEBEC (which does some pretty good stuff like Yamato 2202) unless they are given insufficient time and resources to handle the project.

This isn't like the first season where GONZO was using their groundbreaking but clearly still not ready for primetime CGI.

I can't speak for everyone else but for me those are the reasons why I'm very much afraid we won't be getting more FMP anytime soon. The novels have been over for ages and I can't see this season suddenly selling like gangbusters to justify a larger investment from Kadokawa. I guess we'll just have to hope that someone high up in the company likes Gatoh-san's work enough to keep funding this even if it's done in the same limited fashion as this time.
As I heard, last 3 novels are much less action-packed, so they should be easier to adapt in terms of resources. I think the issuie is not related to budget mainly but to the fact that Xebec is probably busy with other projects (a new Fafner and Yamato mainly) and producers were unable to find a different studio to handle it.

Last edited by Nachtwandler; 2018-07-26 at 18:42.
Old 2018-07-26, 16:09   Link #24
VTHokiePride

Kaname: Sousuke, I love you.
Sousuke: I love you, too.

I've waited 10 years for them to finally admit that.

Hopefully, they announce another season within a year or so. I'm ready to see this show through to the end.

I wish the fight with Laevatein was longer though. I thought it was beautifully done, just a tad too short.
Old 2018-07-26, 23:37   Link #25
Mazryonh

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterSeeker View Post
You have to understand the anime industry in Japan nowadays are different to that of 13 years ago. Not only number of airing animes doubled in number, investments to each barely scratch that of the past, while shortage of manpower surfaced in recent years. Not even big IPs like Gundam are safe from this. So IV happened is nothing short of a miracle, even though we expect they'll finish it once and for all in one run.
A shortage of manpower compared to 13 years ago? Maybe it has to do something with how little animators in Japan are paid nowadays, assuming they get paid at all like how IMS got liquidated and didn't pay its animators despite putting out shows like Date a Live and Shinmai Maou that sold briskly? What kind of financial mismanagement is going on over there?

But yet, FMPIV getting animated was indeed "nothing short of a miracle", a miracle I wish would happen to more completed LN series that had anime adaptations which only partly covered the original LNs' story. Animation and text are different media and both deserve to have their stories told in a complete fashion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterSeeker View Post
As for the seiyuu problem, it's rather unpredictable (look at Dragonball Super's Bulma, or other sick seiyuus all for a sudden) but it does raise concern if it drags on for too long. For that matter, we already lost Chikao Ohtsuka, VA of Count Maroly, who have a notable in the last book.
And that's another reason why the production team needs to hurry things along while not sacrificing quality. The fans aren't going to take the death of a major FMP character's seiyuu very well and the series has been delayed for so long. What if Yukana, Teletha's seiyuu, died? The FMP fans wouldn't be very happy with a replacement for her either, and neither would the Code Geass fans since that show is getting another season and Yukana is slated to voice CC again. And it can happen at any time; Miyu Matsuki (seiyuu of Cthuko from Haiyore Nyaruko-san) was only 38 when she died, and Hiromi Tsuru (original seiyuu of Bulma from Dragon Ball) was 57 and reportedly healthy right up until her sudden death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amehmood16 View Post
Why didn't this happen? Several reasons for sure. Probably one of the biggest imo, is some contractual agreement with other companies on the production committee. Bandai is on the committee meaning they invested money into IV and obviously their return on that investment is in the form of Plastic Model kits of the AS. The anime while being its own thing is also a glorified commercial for these kits. Having delay the anime hurts the sales of the kits because Bandai releases them when there's no airing anime meaning less sales. It's all promotion. That's probably a big reason why they had to rush to get all these later episodes out despite them not being ready.
Do you know if Bandai was on board to produce plastic model kits for FMP 13 years ago? Did this show actually only get funded because Bandai needed a new source of model kit revenue and decided to brush off the dust on this franchise and bring it back to sell those kits? What keeps them from releasing those before the show airs and counting on the show's airing to pick up sales?

Quote:
Another possible reason is improper utilization of staff. Like I've noted many times, there was a fair number of Yamato staff on this show. Yamato 2202 is currently ongoing so there may have been taking staff on and off of FMPIV. This can hurt consistency and the producers were not able to efficiently handle the production.
So why couldn't they wait until Xebec didn't have anything else on the table before they animated FMPIV? We've already waited 13 years. Waiting a bit longer so that Xebec could concentrate on making FMPIV the best it could be might have not been a major problem for the fans.

Quote:
Anyways, long-winded comments aside, there is a stage event at the Fantasia Bunko festival for FMP in October. This comes after the complete release of all the BDs. I'm sure Gatoh will be there and he'll probably talk about the future of the franchise including what's in store for the anime. I am still convinced we will get the last season. I can't see Gatoh having committed to this season if there was not even a good chance there would be another. And from what I've seen through articles and hobby blogs, the model kits are selling out and constantly need to be restocked. I think that's a good sign that IV is being profitable. That's mainly how Gundam makes its money too and we all know how successful that franchise is. The first BD is out and we will see in a week what the sales will start to look like. Things are far from over. The franchise is still in a much better spot than it has been since TSR ended. No need to despair yet.
Could you explain what you mean by "a much better spot than it has been"? Was TSR more or less intended as a goodbye to the fans, at least until FMPIV came along? And what if the models sell well but not the FMPIV BDs? I thought that BD sales were generally the deciding factor about whether or not a show got another season. I hope that during the stage event Gatoh reveals what exactly brought FMP back from the dead and how we can continue to support the chances of getting another season to completely wrap up the LN's story.

All these production troubles fly in the face of what has been shown to work, however. I think a mecha show like Darling in the Franxx proved beyond any doubt that if you want people to love your show and buy lots of its discs and merchandise, make a well-written and believably-dramatic show that is animated well and keeps viewers coming back! DitF is selling pretty well. If the companies behind FMPIV had just given that show their all, they might have made a better impression on the viewers. I mean, what's the point of having full CGI mecha if you can't have them pound each other flat in spectacular knock-down drag-out fashion, something that is very difficult to do in traditional 2D animation? Nothing like that to sell model kits to the fans, and the show is supposed to be a glorified commercial too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokiePride View Post
Kaname: Sousuke, I love you.
Sousuke: I love you, too.

I've waited 10 years for them to finally admit that.

Hopefully, they announce another season within a year or so. I'm ready to see this show through to the end.
They finally said it. At least we now know that FMP was a better mecha love story than, for example, Muv Luv Total Eclipse or Schwarzesmarken, because the ending to FMP seems to be much more worth it than either of those shows'.

Maybe after all's said and done, Chidori and Sousuke should go to Amagi Briliant Park for a date!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasvik View Post
What I don't get is why so many people are panicked that we'll have to wait again for a long time for the next season.

Yes, a new season wasn't announced at the end of IV... does that mandatory means that we'll have to wait 10+ years? Why can't it mean 1 year? Or 2? Or 6 months?
A lot of people 13 years ago wished that FMP could have continued only 1 or 2 years, or even 6 months, after TSR ended. They didn't get their wish. It's not up to us and a lot can happen to delay or cancel things.
Old 2018-07-29, 01:15   Link #26
Calca
Expressionless

Damn I was under the impression this season was the last and would adapt the rest of the novels. Hopefully this season was successful enough to prompt a final season to finish off the series.
Old 2018-07-31, 10:50   Link #27
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Well guys, at least the home media release is actually selling well so might not have to worry too much.
Old 2018-08-08, 21:17   Link #28
QS_Bilal
Gravemind

I loved the ending.
The humor and the upbeat atmosphere capped with S1 openning.. holy smokes.. I am ecstatic. The note at the end was heartfelt too.

My next goal in life: become a billionaire and have Ufotable work on Full Metal Panic! V
Old 2018-08-14, 02:00   Link #29
Ghostfriendly

Really miss 2nd Raid, when the directors really had time to show Sousuke's inward torment, and Chidori consistently fought back despite her feelings, rather than the clumsy flip flop between submission and defiance we see here. It's been said before, but Chidori was a subversion of the damsel in distress, who would whack her captor with a pan, or whack her rescuer for his cluelessness, until the light novels after her capture forget all about that. Of course having her friends attacked is going to knock her for a loop, but getting over that should have been handled as a process, which might include calling out all the victim blaming deployed by Kalinin, Leonard, and Chidori on herself, with the idea that she's responsible for the deaths that would happen if she tried to escape, or doesn't deserve to be free if she can't kill; that was classic psychological abuse, really should have been condemned harder. Later chapters will try to present Leonard as sympathetic and completely fail, but I'll still watch the next series of FMP, because it should have been a great story.
Old 2018-12-21, 00:24   Link #30
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Full Metal Panic Invisible Victory: Ending for Now

Make My Day

This isn't the end, but the lone soldier continues to throttle on when the day arrives to him claiming back the girl he loves.

Sousuke Sagara you're the average Joe, and that's why makes you an interesting character watching you growing up since from the first series and now sixteen years later in Invisible Victory realized a true purpose for yourself and what does it means to truly love that special lady that turns you into a fool for love.

War against Amalgam rages on, however, unfortunately, Leonard Testarossa defected with Chidori to form his own party. Nevertheless, Chidori has grown steely resolve not to get overwhelmed by her current predicament but encourages Sousuke to rescue until the end.

Mithril once again has revived with most of its members welcomed back along with Sousuke plus few additions into its staff whether for better or for worse.

Perhaps, Invisible Victory may not meant to become the best entry into the Full Metal Panic, nonetheless, it delivered the best full-throttle action and military drama outdoing the previous two shows that preceded it.

This is not the end yet, since there are more battles and stories to tell in the horizon, waiting for that fateful day when season five comes out.
Closed Thread