Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-06-22, 14:30   Link #41
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper
If you liked it that much, only watch the TV series upto the end of the Kyoto arc. Everything after that, the last ~20 episodes of the series, are pointless filler and have no relevance. Instead, I'd recommend you pick up the manga and read it as it actually has what happens after the Kyoto arc.
true that... the series was entertaining only up to the Kyoto arc... after Shishio... Kenshin TV takes a serious dive... fighting fencers, Christians and European knights... bleh...
Old 2004-06-22, 14:47   Link #42
Racheal
Super Robot War Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Chronics
true that... the series was entertaining only up to the Kyoto arc... after Shishio... Kenshin TV takes a serious dive... fighting fencers, Christians and European knights... bleh...
This i have to see. But 95 episodes....!
Regarding the manga version, may have to wait a while since the only way i can get them is by special order.

*the OVA last episode just ended. Quite an ending for someone called hitokiri battousai.
Racheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-22, 15:41   Link #43
OUGI
[ take off your cool ]

kenshin is just sick (meaning good)...the character development was so well down...just sweet...but i agree that the last 1/3 of it sucked...you know after shishio...i dont understand why they just didnt stick with the manga...
OUGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-22, 15:49   Link #44
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racheal
This i have to see. But 95 episodes....!
Regarding the manga version, may have to wait a while since the only way i can get them is by special order.

*the OVA last episode just ended. Quite an ending for someone called hitokiri battousai.
95 isn't that long actually, once the Kyoto arc starts you won't be able to stop watching. But like everyone else says skip 70+. And the manga is magnificent, doesn't have the occasional filler from the anime and has a solid well documented story, not to mention origina fights and some very good characters
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-22, 16:14   Link #45
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUGI
kenshin is just sick (meaning good)...the character development was so well down...just sweet...but i agree that the last 1/3 of it sucked...you know after shishio...i dont understand why they just didnt stick with the manga...
History lesson time!

Many people don't realize it but the television series ended more than one full year before the manga did. What does this mean? Aside from meaning the television series ended less than half way through the Jinchuu arc, it also explains the existance of the third season. The third season, with it's original stories, was created as pure filler in an attempt to stall long enough for the manga to gain some ground on the television series. They almost succeeded too, they managed to stall almost upto the flashback portion of the manga (OVA1), except ratings fell so low that the show was cancelled. >.>;

It's not pretty, but that's what happened and why they didn't end it the same way as the manga.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-22, 16:17   Link #46
donna8157

Yeah, The Jinchuu Arc was definitely good especially for those who wanted something to happen between Kenshin and Kaoru. ^_^

Hehe. Anyway, they're actually doing a Jinchuu Radio Play on some site. I forgot the name of it.
donna8157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-22, 20:10   Link #47
DukeGaladrien
Hopeless Baseball Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to DukeGaladrien
RK was the anime that actually got me to watch anime. Before Kenshin I used to always laugh at my friend while he watched anime. As he progressed through Kenshin I found my head turned more and more towards his computer screen though. Finally I found myself watching a complete episode next to him and promptly made him start again at episode 1 so that I knew what was going on...

Since then I've become an avid anime watcher and have seen very few animes that surpass RK. In fact Kenshin stayed as my favorite anime until I made it through Gundam Seed, that now reigns supreme for me (only Gundam that I could actually get into).
DukeGaladrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-23, 09:55   Link #48
varica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzel
I haven't really seen any Kenshin TV, but I did see in a music video in the DDR project what appeared to be a climatic fight scene with a bandaged man during which swords trailed fire and flying bodies broke stone. This is obscene. Maybe I shouldn't judge from some piddling scraps of video, but I'm frightened now. Please tell that this doesn't happen often.

eh?
I suggest you never watch it. If you find it that scary, then the series is likely to give you nightmares.

Kenshin is a brilliant anime, one of the best I've ever seen.
varica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-23, 10:44   Link #49
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by varica

eh?
I suggest you never watch it. If you find it that scary, then the series is likely to give you nightmares.

Kenshin is a brilliant anime, one of the best I've ever seen.
What are you talking about?!

Those scenes are from thirty seconds across 2 episodes. The series isn't that violent, yes there are sword fights and many are very impressive, but there is also alot of humor in the series that makes it very enjoyable.

How many times does Koaru beat them all down for saying stupid things or peeping?
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-23, 11:14   Link #50
donna8157

Really? They were actually stalling for the Jinchuu Arc?!?!?!

AHhHh!!

I really wanted to see it animated!!!! GRR. . is there any possible chance for them to go back and do it? Those fights in Jinchuu should be awesome if animated. Seisouhen (the last Kenshin OVA) just went off on its own tangent.

Anyway, Duke. I'm in teh same boat as you. I used to think that anime was quite . .childish. lol. .but then my roommate made me watch Rurouni Kenshin and it got me interested in others. I still have yet to find an anime that I like all around as much as RK. Though I do enjoy Naruto a lot .. along with Princess Tutu. Lol.
donna8157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-18, 18:46   Link #51
Grey land
Minerva

Your opinions about Rurouni Kenshin anime

Is Kenshin anime really good ? I just read the manga, and I'd like to know whether the anime is worth watching. I was supposed to download some, but let's hear from you first ^^

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2004-10-18 at 19:26. Reason: Threads merged
Grey land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-18, 21:48   Link #52
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
Well first off, it's licensed. You can get the TV series in English from Media Blasters, they've released 3 boxed sets of the different arcs.

The OAVs and movie are available from ADV under the name "Samurai X," a poor name graciously provided by Sony.

And if you want to watch any of it, I only recommend the first two TV seasons and the original 4 OAVs. The movie is a poorly written extra-long tv episode, and the new OAVs are a 30 minute cram of the Revenge arc and a completely made up ending that -I- believe sony wrote to shut Kenshin fans up.
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-19, 18:11   Link #53
Grey land
Minerva

Thanks for your opinions! ^^

I just finished watching the OVAs ......... Can't describe how much I hate the guys who made it!!!!!!! They exaggerated SO much!!!!! So disapppointed!
Grey land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-20, 00:13   Link #54
Koboshi38

Over all I say it was an oK Series it entertained me and got my blood moving a few times. But other wise it was just OK. I really wish they hadnt put it on cartoon network with the Crumby Dubbing. the dvd's are much better But still I just found it okay. not great.
Koboshi38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-21, 15:31   Link #55
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey land
Thanks for your opinions! ^^

I just finished watching the OVAs ......... Can't describe how much I hate the guys who made it!!!!!!! They exaggerated SO much!!!!! So disapppointed!
What didn't you like about the OVA?? Personally I think Tsuioku Hen is one of the greatest OVA ever made, I agree that Seisounen is of lesser quality but still the dramatic ending of Tsuioku Hen still haunts me in my dreams ...
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-21, 20:07   Link #56
whatever123

Send a message via MSN to whatever123
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thMethuselah
What didn't you like about the OVA?? Personally I think Tsuioku Hen is one of the greatest OVA ever made, I agree that Seisounen is of lesser quality but still the dramatic ending of Tsuioku Hen still haunts me in my dreams ...
i loved the tsuioku hen ova but still i wished to see the whole jinchu arc in a similar style to the manga (anime)

returning to the original topic i believe that the kenshin anime is an anime that could've been one of the best shows i have ever seen but it suffered a lot from fillers and unecesasery alteration, i mean i was just rewatching the series again and i was relatively bored with the first arc (with the exception of the aoishi arc) but when i reached the kyoto arc i became so excited as if i am watching it the first time , soundtrack, fights and most importantly the story.
Old 2004-10-22, 12:09   Link #57
LastDuaL
Drunken Samurai

Kenshin was not the series that introduced me to anime, but it was the series that introduced me to fansubs. I still have the VHS subs by Hecto/Shinsen-Gumi sitting in my closet.

I think the reason that RK remains one of my top series is the level of characterization present. Kenshin characters tend to be more belivable and simply have a lot more going on than the characters in any other shonen-style anime I've watched. The main theme of "redemption" is also a more mature theme than the typical "got to be the best" themes that pervade most shonen series.

The downside of the Kenshin TV series is obviously the amount of filler and the fact that after Kyoto the series splits completely away from the manga (which is easily better, and probably my favorite manga series ever). Stll, it's easy to just skip the filler episodes in the first season and tell your friends that Kenshin actually ends at episode 63 (a fitting end for the TV series) ^_^x

PS: Don't EVER judge a series by its english dub - that's just idiotic...
LastDuaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-23, 14:39   Link #58
cheese no koma
kita kita oyaji

Rurouni kenshin episode 96, 97

There were also two "specials" that aired and were once considered a part of the TV series (making the total number of episodes to 97). However, when the show was dubbed and brought over to the states, those episodes were "left out" and have become somewhat of a legend/considered to be "lost" by some fans.
From Wilkipedia

Anyone seen these 2 episodes?
cheese no koma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-23, 15:06   Link #59
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese no koma
Anyone seen these 2 episodes?
Hmmm...the lost specials? These.....
Quote:
What are these "Lost specials" that I keep hearing about?

The specials are episodes that are not part of the series. They were generally aired as a review of certain things to prepare the viewer for upcoming episodes/story arcs. There are two serious specials: an episode review starring Yahiko and Kaoru as Plushies, and a Hiten Mitsurugi Ryuu Technique episode.

- http://iyouboushi.netfirms.com/rk/kenshinspecials.html
Also....
Quote:
YOU’RE WRONG, THERE’S ONLY 94 EPISODES!

Actually, that’s not correct. There’s 95 episodes total. There’s also a Kenshin Memorial Box episode that was basically a summery of TsuiokuHen and the series. The 95th episode is included on volume 22 of the English DVDs but the Memorial Box episode is only available if you buy the Japanese box set.

http://iyouboushi.netfirms.com/rk/kenshinfaq.html
Next time, please search first for existing threads. You could have asked this question here: Rurouni Kenshin.

Last edited by Catgirls; 2006-01-23 at 15:26.
Catgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-19, 20:49   Link #60
GreenTeaFlame

Rurouni Kenshin

Anyone else a fan of this awesome show? It is my total favorite.

GreenTeaFlame is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, historical, shounen