AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2008-05-30, 15:19   Link #141
juggen
Saizen Supreme
*Fansubber

Fansubs are supposed to be free Japanese classes for beginners? :/
Old 2008-05-30, 16:24   Link #142
Autumn Demon
~

When typing in Japanese on my keyboard i type ha for は, hu for ふ, tu for つ, si for し, tya for ちゃ and so forth because that's a better way of thinking about it when learning Japanese, but if i were translating (names and some other terms are left in Japanese) i would use Hepburn because it's a good assumption that people who would need translations would prefer a romaji style where pronunciation is clear.
Autumn Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-30, 22:30   Link #143
creamyhorror

Thanks for the various responses so far. Upon further thought, I'll still be sticking with my current practice. I still think it fundamentally comes down to preferred romanization style. If I had learnt Kunreishiki I might be using that instead (no offence to the native Japanese here, I respect your choice of romanization). I have nothing against others using proper Hepburn - this is simply a stylistic issue for me more than one of catering to the audience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofusensei
This way you're not alienating the folks who don't know enough Japanese to understand why he hears "wa" but sees "ha" in the romaji.
Conversely, you could also say that someone just starting to learn Japanese would be educated by the use of 'ha' romanization where he hears 'wa' in the song. It might be a much smaller crowd, but hey, it's still a possible reason.
creamyhorror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-31, 08:08   Link #144
Xabin
Careless

Send a message via MSN to Xabin
Personally, I think it would make sense to use something that can be translated directly back into Japanese. Even though I don't do this myself 100%... (I don't use "du" for example :p)
Xabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-31, 15:55   Link #145
Mentar
Banned

Well, I've been around in fansubbing for 5 years now, buuut you live and learn something new every day

Today, I think I finally got an idea why most of the translators I've come to get to know prefer to stay away from public anime boards.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-31, 17:15   Link #146
asunder
the ancient biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Well, I've been around in fansubbing for 5 years now, buuut you live and learn something new every day

Today, I think I finally got an idea why most of the translators I've come to get to know prefer to stay away from public anime boards.
lol, are public anime boards quickly becoming the new youtube comments? Well maybe it's already happened in that fansub documentary thread <_<....
asunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 16:25   Link #147
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
Sempai vs Senpai

Which is more proper? The phonetic spelling, or the kana-based spelling?
Old 2008-10-06, 17:02   Link #148
tun
lolwut
*Fansubber

Using M is just to help gaijin pronounce the N more nasally as it is in Japanese. I prefer senpai but I can understand why someone would want to use sempai.
Old 2008-10-06, 17:14   Link #149
cyberbeing

Senpai is more proper. That is how it is romanized in the current revision of Hepbern romanization which is also used by the Library of Congress.
Old 2008-10-07, 08:11   Link #150
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Senpai is correct modern Hepburn romanization and what you would see in any modern textbooks.

Sempai, however, is not really incorrect (as long as you are consistent). Like for example, the newspaper "Asahi Shimbun" still romanizes its name using an "m"
(ref: http://www.asahi.com/english/ ) because it is grandfathered in from the older style. Even though most people would write "shinbun" for the romanization of newspaper, all the old names are still done in the old romanization style.

(the old rule was that you would use an "m" instead of an "n" if the "ん" was followed by "ば" or "ぱ")
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote