AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

View Poll Results: Higurashi Kai Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 98 69.50%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 20 14.18%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 9.93%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 4.96%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.42%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-08-05, 19:07   Link #121
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

2000 inhabitants is anyway too much to handle.
Rena was able to find out something specific, and there might be drunkard and many random nocturnal persons, missing persons don't mean suvirvors, but just erased people, who couldn't be gased, either if the SDF is involved or not.

if they have the ressource to take out such amount of people, why would it be difficult to take care of 20 bodies?
heck, nekorogoshi has shown a perfect place for this, the "bottomless" pit, in the Quarry.
Completely desert, and no one would ever think about it (much like the Sonozaki Well, until Keiichi pointed it after he got saved in watanagashi/meakashi)
Old 2007-08-05, 19:14   Link #122
Davidj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
2000 inhabitants is anyway too much to handle.
That's why they have to be tricked. And that's why the plumbers can't go around killing twenty of them in advance of the main event, because that would give them away. There'd be screaming and shooting, and blood on the ground. It would all seem very suspicious.
Old 2007-08-05, 19:26   Link #123
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

What i meant : 2000 is too much to really have a perfect result.
you will always have various factors, much like sensitive persons, drunkard etc.
Rena as the only exception among 2000 persons? it is hardly believable, and more leak are to be expected

I would hardly believe they don't have any back up plan: sticking on a trap like this, without any countermeasure for any leaking is far from being flawless. and much like what we can expect in Hinamizawa, the number of good area to hide evidences are quite numerous, not oblidged to "export" them

Last edited by Klashikari; 2007-08-05 at 19:38.
Old 2007-08-05, 19:56   Link #124
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

I just checked the TIPS thread and the first time we encountered the gas disaster (ep.13) and it mentions "over 1,200 victims confirmed. Over 20 people reported missing" which is knid of a weird discrepancy in the number of victims but a telling match in the number of missing (even though over 20 might mean say 24, it's still very close to the number mentioned in this episode). Seems to me that these 20 or so are the "plumbers" indeed.
EDIT:
Furthermore in the same thread there is an interview with Keiichi who claims he had been unconscious for more than a day when the disaster struck. After reading that, the same thing happening to Satoko doesn't seem that impossible to me...

Old 2007-08-05, 20:12   Link #125
Kryptik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post
I just checked the TIPS thread and the first time we encountered the gas disaster (ep.13) and it mentions "over 1,200 victims confirmed. Over 20 people reported missing" which is knid of a weird discrepancy in the number of victims but a telling match in the number of missing (even though over 20 might mean say 24, it's still very close to the number mentioned in this episode). Seems to me that these 20 or so are the "plumbers" indeed.
EDIT:
Furthermore in the same thread there is an interview with Keiichi who claims he had been unconscious for more than a day when the disaster struck. After reading that, the same thing happening to Satoko doesn't seem that impossible to me...
Eh...thing is, the 'plumbers' or 'janitors' seemed very....trained. Again, night vision and that kind of coordination doesn't just happen, especially in 1983. I find it highly unlikely these guys were part of the population.

And remember, things don't repeat exactly. If I remember correctly, Keiichi was found still out cold, wasn't he? Whereas Satoko washed up and was found only after she screamed in horror at what she saw. And from the directions the SDF were giving, it sounded like they had only recently got there.
Old 2007-08-05, 20:43   Link #126
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

I never said events repeat themselves exactly, I just find it too much of a coincidence that about twenty people were missing in both cases. And what's stopping the plumbers from being both highly trained and village residents? After all, the nurse is an accomplice in the conspiracy, too, and she probably lives in Okinomiya. Whoever is behind it all must have people reporting what's going on in Hinamizawa and probably living there, who knows these people might be the very same highly trained pros who murdered Rika.

Old 2007-08-05, 21:46   Link #127
Ayu-ayu
a.k.a. Akari_House

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidj View Post
We do. That was the point about saying that in Hinamazawa's local dialect when old people talk about relaxing they use the word "nipper/nipah". Rika is an old person. When she says "nipah" she's telling people to relax, not take things so seriously.
The problem is that the first fansub that went up by "Ni-paa~" exlcuded the "jikai" (preview) segment. It is on the "Hau~" sub though.

I assume that you're being half serious...these segments with Rika and Hanyuu are meant to be taken lightly. I'm not sure if that's obvious in the translation or not though, but in this case, the explanation of "niparu" as a verb used in Hinamizawa dialect is almost certainly a clever joke.

---

This episode was fantastic, I really think this shows promise for the remaining arcs with the story supervision in the most suited hands. KJ980's analysis of how they corrected some of the mistakes of the first series in this arc really sums it up nicely. If only the first run could have had this kind of guidance. I can't wait to see Minagoroshi-hen, the part of the story I bought the sound novel for...
Old 2007-08-05, 23:48   Link #128
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Finally got around to watching this episode, and like most of you, I too thought it was quite impressive. It certainly wrapped up many loose threads from the previous season. However, I can't help but voice the same concerns as a few others here and wonder just how Rika will be portrayed in the next chapter, as this one happened on a decidedly different note than the last chapter of the previous season. Can we take it for granted that Nekogoroshi-hen occurred directly before Minagoroshi-hen? I can't seem to remember how many references there were...and part of me suspects that this chapter might not go in correct chronological order (well, as chronological as it can get in the Higurashi universe).
Old 2007-08-06, 00:44   Link #129
Davidj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptik View Post
Eh...thing is, the 'plumbers' or 'janitors' seemed very....trained. Again, night vision and that kind of coordination doesn't just happen, especially in 1983. I find it highly unlikely these guys were part of the population.
That depends on what you mean by "part of the population". Were they born in Hinamazawa? Obviously not. But they've been operating in Hinamazawa for the last five years. We first saw them in the kidnapping case and we have no reason to think they ever left. They're stationed there, and presumably have cover identities and places to stay.
Old 2007-08-06, 00:46   Link #130
Davidj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayu-ayu View Post
The problem is that the first fansub that went up by "Ni-paa~" exlcuded the "jikai" (preview) segment. It is on the "Hau~" sub though.

I assume that you're being half serious...these segments with Rika and Hanyuu are meant to be taken lightly. I'm not sure if that's obvious in the translation or not though, but in this case, the explanation of "niparu" as a verb used in Hinamizawa dialect is almost certainly a clever joke.
Yes, I wasn't really being serious about the great revelation.
Old 2007-08-06, 07:56   Link #131
mist2123
Banned

Send a message via AIM to mist2123
Spoiler for theory:

Last edited by mist2123; 2007-08-06 at 08:14.
Old 2007-08-06, 10:11   Link #132
kgptzac
Summoner of the Third Eye

Ok. After reading a thread about Rena's message (in a Chinese forum) I think I'm start to believe what they said.

Spoiler for The following are summarization of the thread/translated:
Old 2007-08-06, 10:26   Link #133
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgptzac View Post
Ok. After reading a thread about Rena's message (in a Chinese forum) I think I'm start to believe what they said.

Spoiler:
Old 2007-08-06, 12:13   Link #134
mist2123
Banned

My complete analysis.
Spoiler:
Old 2007-08-06, 12:54   Link #135
Davidj

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgptzac View Post

I still believe the third option. If they were taken away for experimentation then surely by 20 years later that experimentation would have borne some fruit that we would have been told of by virtue of Chekov's Law. Similarly if the plumbers killed them by ways that couldn't be natural causes that introduces an unnecessary complication into the story that has no payoff.
Old 2007-08-06, 18:09   Link #136
Seiryuu

Whatever the plans for Hinamizawa were, I'm guessing they'd set up damage control long ago. It wouldn't be that difficult to stockpile large amounts of deadly, heavy gases, and once released they would collect easily in the lowest parts of the valley. This would explain why people were gathered in the center of town, where concentrations would be most lethal. After so many years, several people must have developed some level of suspicion or uncertainty, and they would have likely been on the alert and ready to try and save everyone if called so suspiciously. If anyone was too suspicious or resistant, or just hadn't gone far enough downhill to die with the others, then they would have been executed. I'm guessing that K1 and the others all caught on that something really bad was happening, and that everyone was in danger. None of these guys cared only about their friends, they'd have tried to save everyone. Most of them probably went to the school to protect the kids and organize an escape, but running blind would be suicide, so they had Rena sneak out to watch any enemies and, more importantly, find a safe way to get past them. By the time everyone in the valley realized how they were to be killed, the gas must have built up to the point that they couldn't possibly make it to high ground in time. Also, we don't really know that everyone died at the school, do we? Since there was no blood, there's no way to tell whether they'd fallen where they were or had been gathered there for disposal. It is possible that people had tried to escape but their bodies had been brought back.
Old 2007-08-06, 18:31   Link #137
mist2123
Banned

Isnt volcanic gas heavy(density) doesnt that mean its started from the top maybe the mountain or
Spoiler for OVA:
Old 2007-08-07, 01:08   Link #138
notap

How were they gassed?

I don't think this could have been done as a general release of gas in the village, especially if the villains were trying to emulate natural volcanic gases or a massive release of CO2 from the swamp. These would have been heavier than air, and would gather in low places, e.g., places like the ravine below the bridge. If the gas concentration was enough to kill the people in the village, it should have also been enough to kill Keiichi or Satoko in the ravine. In this case, something else must have happened, unless I have missed some quirk in the topography.

Last edited by notap; 2007-08-07 at 01:10. Reason: spelling
Old 2007-08-07, 01:11   Link #139
MrZombie

I have to say, notap, that this is the nicest theory so far. I like it.
Old 2007-08-07, 01:37   Link #140
notap

Thanks, but it's giving me some really awful images of what might have happened in town. I mean, opening a valve and walking away is pretty bad, but doing it up close...yikes. The bad guys must be cold as ice.
Closed Thread