AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2011-07-03, 08:34   Link #181
Lexxus
YES! Hahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenblitz View Post
haha Maria knows SECKS!! and Kobato is surely cute in her bro-con mode omg.. can't wait to see them argue again Index and Kuroneko haha
Haha I know. I just laugh pretty hard when Maria said secks and as for Kobata, she is just too cute and that makes me want to have a sister(sibling) but too bad i don't have any
Lexxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-26, 14:25   Link #182
Johnny
Working the bags...

Spoiler for ch 16:
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-26, 19:09   Link #183
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Spoiler for ch16:
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-26, 19:48   Link #184
Candyshark

Spoiler for vh16:
Candyshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-26, 20:15   Link #185
Ravenblitz
|・ω・`)

Send a message via MSN to Ravenblitz
funny chapter haha from the start of the relay novel they're making totally cracked me up

too bad maria's part was included but maybe it is full of onii-chan love haha
Old 2011-07-26, 21:49   Link #186
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Spoiler for ch16:
I seconded this part.

But damn Yoroza. That's a fine example of "going overboard".
Old 2011-07-26, 22:05   Link #187
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
I seconded this part.

But damn Yoroza. That's a fine example of "going overboard".
You think so?
Thats nothing in comparison to:
http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/in..._Mother_School

Yozora's mind is rotten to the very core, thus why I don't like her at all.... =___=
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-26, 23:15   Link #188
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
You think so?
Thats nothing in comparison to:
http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/in..._Mother_School

Yozora's mind is rotten to the very core, thus why I don't like her at all.... =___=
I am just pretty much reading the translated chapters while unconsciously uttering, "Yozora, please die in a fire..."

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-26, 23:42   Link #189
Thelastguardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
I am just pretty much reading the translated chapters while unconsciously uttering, "Yozora, please die in a fire..."
You guys are sort of misunderstanding her. She is just following the style of cell phone novels.

Cell phone novels are female oriented novels that frequently use rape as a plot device. This is so common among novels that it has become a signature of the entire genre.

Rape is popular (as a plot device) because it is in a sense an ultimate test of love. It is perhaps the most traumatic thing a woman can go through. If even after that her lover is willing to stay by her, it shows how deep their love is. Most boys have dreamed of being a hero and romantically sacrificing themselves to save others; I would dare to say that this is the female equivalent.

Back to Yozora. Yozora chooses rape because that's what her writing guides tell her. About 2 years ago cell phone novels were at the height of its popularity. Yozora was likely looking at which genre was popular and picked the most fashionable.

In fact this is a stab by the author at how shallow most cell phone novels are, and how nonsensical that they become 5 of the 10 best selling novels in Japan in 2009. If you read Ore Imouto, you would see Kuroneko lamented on the fact that these 'fast food' novels are swarming the market, and expressed her inability to understand why would anyone read these tasteless literature.

Finally, if you are a Japanese, you would be able to tell that this is just a author's parody. But of course as westerner you don't have the cultural knowledge to make the connection. Which is why this is offensive to you.
Old 2011-07-26, 23:52   Link #190
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelastguardian View Post
Finally, if you are a Japanese, you would be able to tell that this is just a author's parody. But of course as westerner you don't have the cultural knowledge to make the connection. Which is why this is offensive to you.
As an Easterner, I also don't quite get it But hey, if the women are okay with it...
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 01:21   Link #191
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Make it "anything but Japanese", because I can't make a connection either, and I'm in Asia.

Understanding that couldn't make me sympathize with her, though.
Old 2011-07-27, 01:42   Link #192
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

It's all fun and games until someone pulls out the 'rape' word, then suddenly we're all sensitive beings
Old 2011-07-27, 02:22   Link #193
EroKing

Personally I can't get enough of Sena being bullied by Yozora
Old 2011-07-27, 03:02   Link #194
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
UNIVERSE! That might be the best ending, and you know it!

What a roller coaster ride that novel is. And you know it's bad if you let the big perv end it. XD

Yeah, I remember in the anime BOTH Kuroneko and Kirino wrote distasteful novels about each other and 'rape' was involved.
Mizuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 03:34   Link #195
potchip

Quote:
Make it "anything but Japanese", because I can't make a connection either, and I'm in Asia.

It's part of the sub-culture that you just 'get' or not. Similarly many aspects of the manga/novels such as word plays cannot be translated to another language at all. That's the author's chosen path to pursue meaning he expected most of his target audience are able to grasp it, else he loses customers. Given the novel's popularity I would say the attack was super effective (see what I did there?)

There's no doubt Yozora is not the nicest/social girl. Now I don't know if that's a terrible thing or not in a story. Just like you can view Sena as a moe archtype, and that may not tick everybody's boxes...Personally I'm simply enjoying the interaction between the two without feeling the urge to 'side' with either.
potchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 04:06   Link #196
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Because of all of Yozora's bullying, people tend to forget that Sena isn't exactly the nicest of people when left alone... You know the whole boys are servants thingy among others...

That said, it would be nice to see the two of them more evenly matched; but as it stands Sena is lower on the food chain because she's not as cunning as Yozora and much too predictable. Plus I noticed a good portion of her being bullied is because she's too proud to admit when she's wrong and ends up falling for one of Yozora's traps in an attempt to cover a weakness.

Yozora is not invincible though, she has a fair number of weaknesses but Sena doesn't know how to exploit them.
Old 2011-07-27, 04:18   Link #197
larethian

Sena is not just moe. She's a galge enthusiast. That's very important. She gets the necessary education and her mind is open. That's very important. She appreciates the depth of good galge; the story and characters. That's very important. That's very moe. Oh yeah, screw that, she's moe.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 04:48   Link #198
potchip

Sena is M(for moe?)...she wanted Yozora's S(for sadism?)....
potchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 07:55   Link #199
Thelastguardian

Quote:

It's not so much as subcultural sub context as cultural specific knowledge. In order to get the joke you have to match the following criteria-
  1. Heard of Cell phone novels (China, Taiwan, S. Korea, Japan)
  2. Aware of its tropes (the rape event etc.)
  3. Realize that the novels are no Shakespeare's works (not their female fans)
Females also don't understand bishoujo/harem stories either. Only the male otaku are able to 'grasp' and enjoy the various tropes inside them. But it doesn't stop others from learning about the common plot devices present in a harem story.
People who read light novels are very likely to have heard of these books. After all, cell phone novels are a subculture by itself, just like anime. And you can be certain that there is little overlap between light novel fans and cell phone novel fans. What what better than to make fun of them?

It is indeed hard for males like us to understand the concept of rape as a plot device. But that's the conclusion I have after talking to some of cell phone novel fangirls.
Old 2011-07-27, 08:17   Link #200
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
It is indeed hard for males like us to understand the concept of rape as a plot device. But that's the conclusion I have after talking to some of cell phone novel fangirls.
No no- I get it I get it... I'm just surprise by it's acceptance and popularity with the females...

But hey, more power to them!

Tags
comedy, school life, seinen