AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-09-21, 10:30   Link #16681
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44606988...east_n_africa/

Obama's stance on Paletine's UN bid is clear. Also it seems the Republicans (or are they the Tea Party?) are trying to get in good with the American-Jews over Israel.
Old 2011-09-21, 11:05   Link #16682
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
So bascally they are playing fast catchup. They are in their 1970s period of manned space flight (even though they don't have many flights under their belt yet). They've skipped the moon landing for later and followed the Soviet path instead. The advantage they have (aside from advances in technology, which they may or may not have in their spacecraft) is that everything they are doing has been done before. They don't have to go through the massive amounts of trial and error, not multiple proofs of concept in space as the Soviets and Americans did that in the 1960s and 1970s. The Chinese already know it works, they just need proof that they got it right, thus single attempts to be sure they got it correct followed by the next things in the technology progression. No need for three or four missions to test things out....they just need one mission, then next phase. Unless something goes wrong, then they are forced to slow down to find their errors.
That's what I got out of the article as well.
Essentially the Chinese have the advantage of over 50 years of Russian and American space flight experience to use as a guide on what works and what doesn't in order to springboard their own program.

Nice to see them getting into space.
Perhaps it will help move them even further over to a capitalist system as new industries become required to maintain and support a space program.
Old 2011-09-21, 12:29   Link #16683
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Republicans’ Letter to Bernanke Questioning More Fed Action.
http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2011/...re-fed-action/
Old 2011-09-21, 12:46   Link #16684
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
Quote:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44606988...east_n_africa/

Obama's stance on Paletine's UN bid is clear. Also it seems the Republicans (or are they the Tea Party?) are trying to get in good with the American-Jews over Israel.
Must we ALWAYS claim that everything is about "the Jews" ?
thats how conspiracy theories get started
Old 2011-09-21, 13:15   Link #16685
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

It all depends on influence and money (when it comes to elections, rather than actual world changing events that the politicians use for advantage rather really fixing things...at least near elections time). New York and Hollywood are considered large areas for politictical people to get influence with those that hold money and/or influence via one media or another.
Old 2011-09-21, 13:23   Link #16686
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
Quote:
It all depends on influence and money (when it comes to elections, rather than actual world changing events that the politicians use for advantage rather really fixing things...at least near elections time). New York and Hollywood are considered large areas for politictical people to get influence with those that hold money and/or influence via one media or another.
yes... but really.
must we resort to "THE JEWS"

Last edited by bladeofdarkness; 2011-09-21 at 13:35.
Old 2011-09-21, 13:52   Link #16687
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
yes... but really.
must we resort to "THE JEWS"
The american far right (especially in the South) has always been "about the jews" in that policy arena because their love-hate views on jews. When I speak to someone with those views there's this weird mix of "jews killed Jesus!!!" with "The End Times are predicated on the jews having Jerusalem!!!"

Yes, it makes my head hurt too.

I mean, you there "on the ground" in Israel (or Palestine for others) have a better notion of the underlying economics and resource issues driving a lot of the anger (water supply, arable farm land, unemployment, violence as a "solution" creating blood feuds on individual level, points of strategic defense, etc). But if you want to be seriously worried, check out the views of our GOP presidential candidates on Israel-Palestine.... in many cases, its like an elementary Sunday school bit of nightmare.
Old 2011-09-21, 13:54   Link #16688
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Depends on context. American-Jews are rather influencial and tend to vote Democratic. (I believe there are more jews in America than there are in Israel...and having worked for some, I tend to think of them as influencial and opinionated in American politics. Not to a major degree, but enough to shift the balance of power) Having the Republicans gain favor with them would have influence on the election, much like any party gaining favor with any particular ethnic grouping that is large enough to sway the vote one way or another.
Old 2011-09-21, 14:26   Link #16689
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The american far right (especially in the South) has always been "about the jews" in that policy arena because their love-hate views on jews. When I speak to someone with those views there's this weird mix of "jews killed Jesus!!!" with "The End Times are predicated on the jews having Jerusalem!!!"

Yes, it makes my head hurt too.
What makes my head hurt here isn't the doublethink involved, but rather that there's a faction out there who supports Israel because they believe doing so is necessary to bring about the end of the world. It's a good thing to see all of humanity's accomplishments destroyed because Jesus wants to take a more hands own approach why?
Old 2011-09-21, 14:30   Link #16690
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
But if you want to be seriously worried, check out the views of our GOP presidential candidates on Israel-Palestine.... in many cases, its like an elementary Sunday school bit of nightmare.
If it was only about their view on Israel-Palestine and not much of what they say...
Old 2011-09-21, 14:31   Link #16691
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
If you are in UK or any country with a working legal system based on English law, you most likely go ahead and buy a PS3. That clause, under UCTA, is very likely considered unreasonable if there is SOGA in your country. Signing it does not constitute to fair trading at all.

That clause is a lame duck.
Last time I checked, a contract can't nullify a "duty of care", which Sony has to it's customers. You can however have a condition in a legal settlement be "no more lawsuits", which is kosher. But as part of a license agreement it holds no water. I'd say it's the same for all common law jurisdictions, including the USA.

Quote:
I believe there are more jews in America than there are in Israel...
There used to be, it's now a lot more difficult to measure. Jews in the USA aren't as Jewish as they used to be, and a lot of it depends on how you define Jewishness. According to the Orthodox, I'm Jewish, but according to Reform Jews I'm not. It's basically due to the fact that Jews don't display nearly as many obvious signs of Jewishness any more, and they're intermarrying at a very fast rate. Suffice to say, 100 years from now, American Jewry may not really exist. outside the really religious.
Old 2011-09-21, 19:32   Link #16692
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Rock legends REM announce split

Old 2011-09-21, 19:41   Link #16693
GDB

House unexpectedly kills government spending bill

(Note: title is what Yahoo links it as on their main page, not my statement)

Going to make fun of Yahoo here for its titling sense. Apparently, it's still unexpected to some people that one party in the house will vote down the other party's bill. Who knew!?
Old 2011-09-21, 20:52   Link #16694
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
House unexpectedly kills government spending bill

(Note: title is what Yahoo links it as on their main page, not my statement)

Going to make fun of Yahoo here for its titling sense. Apparently, it's still unexpected to some people that one party in the house will vote down the other party's bill. Who knew!?
Actually, it was the Tea Party faction voting down the GOP's OWN bill.... its an embarrassment for Boehner and Cantor (the House GOP leadership). The Tea Party faction is quite willing to trainwreck the government (as they demonstrated this summer)... shutting down basic operations if necessary and leaving the business world completely rattled.

From Reuters
Quote:
The U.S. House of Representatives unexpectedly defeated a bill that would fund the federal government past September 30 on Wednesday as dozens of Republicans broke with their party to push for deeper spending cuts.
The unexpected outcome was an embarrassment for House Republican leaders who have at times struggled to rein in a conservative wing that remains closely allied with the anti-spending Tea Party movement.
"This is a democracy. This is the sausage factory," said Appropriations Committee Chairman Hal Rogers, who sponsored the bill.
The vote could further rattle consumers and investors who have been unnerved by the high-stakes budget battle that has played out in Washington this year. Congress pushed the government to the brink of a shutdown in April and the edge of default in August.
Republican leaders said they would figure out a way to pass the spending bill and avoid disrupting everything from national parks to scientific research.
Old 2011-09-21, 22:04   Link #16695
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I wonder if they could shoot themselves in the foot and cause the fall of corporatism by breaking Wall Street.
Old 2011-09-21, 23:19   Link #16696
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
I wonder if they could shoot themselves in the foot and cause the fall of corporatism by breaking Wall Street.
If they made this happen, my laughter would be audible from orbit.
Old 2011-09-21, 23:47   Link #16697
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
If they made this happen, my laughter would be audible from orbit.
It'd have to be the anime "nobility laugh"
Old 2011-09-22, 00:22   Link #16698
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Noble women's higher pitched laugh (Renge), the darker noble woman's laugh (Suigintou....which I can't find a good sample), the loud Evil Emperor laugh (Zordar), or not quite as evil emperor laugh the slowly builds up in strength (Desler)?

Last edited by Ithekro; 2011-09-22 at 00:34.
Old 2011-09-22, 00:47   Link #16699
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

Quote:
The teabaggers, ending corporatism? No, they're too busy practicing this laugh.
Old 2011-09-22, 05:01   Link #16700
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
How know ? And if they start a new Middle-Age ( just one with modern firearm ) ?

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international