AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-11-24, 00:15   Link #1401
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
The sooner it fails the better. I want Disney to buy up Bioware and SquareEnix next.
You do understand that it's published by EA which had a history of shutting down MMO that isn't profitable ? It's more likely to get shutdown by EA than to be bought over by another company.
Old 2012-11-24, 22:01   Link #1402
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
You do understand that it's published by EA which had a history of shutting down MMO that isn't profitable ? It's more likely to get shutdown by EA than to be bought over by another company.
I don't know, they kept the hideous Sims Online running way past its expiry date.

But shutting down is also good. Better to start over.
Old 2012-11-25, 01:00   Link #1403
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
I just started playing the game since it went F2P. Personally i'm not too worried about the restriction on F2P players and the biggest selling point for the game was the story that they are giving away for free.

Currently playing a Sith Juggernaut and the biggest mistake i ever did was removing the slave collar off Vette. It's strangely very satisfying to shock someone when they say something stupid. Force choking people to death never gets old either.

As for chat restriction, it really didn't matter that much to me considering i m playing this mostly as a single player and the only need i had of the chat system was to find heroic group. The flashpoint restriction though is an odd choice because you really want these F2P players to populate the server so sub players have people for their group. Limiting the award and hence player participation may work against it.

Other than that, not much complain from me but i can see where people are coming from if they want a more multiplayer experience out of the game.

Just a few tip for other new f2p players,

- find a good looking custom headgear and keep it around if you don't want to buy the hide head options.
- use any mods you find, no point in saving em as they become obsolete quickly.
- you can refund items bought within 2 hours so dont be afraid to buy upgrades to help you ingame and refund it later to get your commendations back. Normally i would buy a few gears early on and refund it back once i get equivalent drop/reward to buy high end mods before leaving the planet.

Overall, really enjoyed the story.. probably the best in the MMO category. The rest of the game though is pretty last gen MMO style (ala WoW). Quickbar restriction is a bit annoying at first but you can optimize it by keeping non essentials off the bar. Cargohold isn't a big deal unless you are a pack rat.
You used to be able to kill Vette.

And, you used to always get DS points every time you shocked her.

But, during beta, Bioware didn't like how the vast majority of players would never remove her collar, and thus never see her "story". If they'd really been on the ball, they'd have given Companions a dual story as well (outside of the superficial one that exists for Kara/Jaesa). A companion story where you mercilessly train your slave into subservience would be something to talk about. Not the safe, formulaic, stories that Bioware gets lavish praise for.

As for what class story to play, if you don't have the patience to play them all, here's my ranking of them in order, after having played all to 50 (or, more accurately, to the story's end, as many of these I finished prior to hitting 50):

1) Imperial Agent - Gets fun after the first act. Also, has Darth Zhorrid. Quite possibly the best/hottest Sith character ever.

2) Sith Warrior - Played as light side. I love the female voice actor. It's the voice of a confident and powerful woman, and not the teen pop star that many of the other "women" in the game use. This is the one story that does Light Side really well on the Empire side. Plus, Darth Cartman is so epic. Dark side is fine, but this is one of the few class stories that actually portray the "opposite" side well, which makes doing it as Light side worth it, imo.

The rest are all pretty much shit. Some have a few spots of promise:

Trooper. Starts off all epic. Becomes incredibly mundane for the second half.

Bounty Hunter is just yawn. Saving grace are the number of interesting/humorous NPCs you encounter.

Smuggler. Ugh. Unless you like pretentious westerns/gun slinger themes. We're not talking about good westerns (ie: Firefly). But, pretentious western. I honestly am not sure what to compare it to, as pretentious hippiness isn't something I ever associated with space westerns before.

Counsular. Barf. You wear a dress, which pretty much characterizes the story as a whole.

Jedi Knight. If you're five and want to be the Star Wars equivalent of Captain America. And, if the player stories of Guild Wars 2 were the best thing ever to you.

Inquisitor. Wasn't that bad actually. And, depending on your sense of humor, it was actually quite funny.

To be clear, if they had made a KOTOR 3 game using any of those class stories as the plot, the game would have been severely panned. They all pale in comparison to the stories of KOTOR and KOTOR 2.
Also, cake.

Last edited by creb; 2012-11-25 at 01:10.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 02:52   Link #1404
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

So I decided to take a peek back into the Galaxy far far away and my lvl50 Guardian, looked a the world for about 10 minutes, made a gigantic "WTF?!?!" since I assumed most people blew F2P out of proportion, and promptly left.

Game's still in my HD but... yeah...
MeoTwister5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 03:30   Link #1405
Mahou
ダメ人 - 人間失格

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Jedi Knight. If you're five and want to be the Star Wars equivalent of Captain America. And, if the player stories of Guild Wars 2 were the best thing ever to you.
Wow, that sounds quite insulting. I'm 26 and enjoyed the few bits of the Jedi Knight storyline that I played, unless you have a strange sense of adultism of feeling "too old" for it.. It's like saying most people play Empire because they think being evil = cool and makes them look "tough" in the MMO world.
And no, I haven't really cared about GW2's personal stories. Music and sound are turned off as I prefer to listen to my own music or - at times - pay attention to the real word environment (e. g. when I'm back home during semester vacations)
Old 2012-11-25, 03:36   Link #1406
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I remember playing Guild Wars with specific tracks from the Revenge of the Sith soundtrack CD playing over the in-game music. "Anakin vs. Obi-wan" was the usual track playing during anything going on.
Old 2012-11-25, 03:59   Link #1407
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

The reference to GW 2 had nothing to do with "personal stories" and everything to do with the goody two shoes nature of both it and the Jedi Knight. Even if you pick every dark side option, you're still an awfully good candidate for a hero of justice action figure.

Ultimately, these are opinions.

And, 26 is hardly "old". I forgive you for your youth.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 05:53   Link #1408
Destined_Fate

Jedi Story is fine even if he's extremely predictable. Jedi Knight suffers on the Dark Side path though just like the Consular. They seemed to be made under the assumption that you will be Light Side if you're those classes with Dark Side as an after thought.

The Agent, Sith Warrior, Trooper, and Bounter Hunter are the real gems when it comes to story.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-26, 03:15   Link #1409
Key Board
Carbon

I youtube'd some of the Sith Inquisitor's story before it was not f2p

didn't seem bad to me

just.. really weird
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-26, 06:59   Link #1410
Destined_Fate

People complain about it because the story is nothing as was advertised. You're pretty much someone's little ***** the whole game and you never do the high class manipulating stuff that is expected out of a SI. The Agent and Sith Warrior manipulate better which is just plain sad.
Old 2012-11-30, 04:34   Link #1411
Destined_Fate

Some changes.

F2p get 4 character slots instead of 2.

Preferred status players get 6 character slots instead of 2.

Preferred status players now get 4 quick bars instead of 2.
Old 2012-11-30, 09:11   Link #1412
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Yay, I can now play HALF the story with 75% less leveling speeding.

PASS.
Old 2012-11-30, 15:59   Link #1413
Destined_Fate

At least Preferred players now actually have a use for Legacy perks.

Though the 3 loot max per week for Flashpoints shouldn't even be a restriction for pefered. They could easily make HM and the Raid stuff Sub only and be done with it. No reason Flashpoints should be targeted, at least not the ones between 10-49.
Old 2012-12-02, 05:09   Link #1414
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
Yay, I can now play HALF the story with 75% less leveling speeding.

PASS.
Yeah I don't get the reason for slowing the leveling speed, all it will do is make people quit because of the grind. As great as the personal story stuff is (way better than lol wars 2), when it's only 10% of the game....
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-02, 16:24   Link #1415
Kizoku Keenan
ばか =)

Could you run old republic on any old laptop (bought within the last year or so) or something more advanced?
Old 2012-12-02, 18:37   Link #1416
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Nope I barely could run it on my 5 year old with a dedicated graphics card. Can't remember the specs though, and now that the HDD's dead not a chance in hell to play SWTOR, too.
Old 2012-12-06, 23:33   Link #1417
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
So I decided to take a peek back into the Galaxy far far away and my lvl50 Guardian, looked a the world for about 10 minutes, made a gigantic "WTF?!?!" since I assumed most people blew F2P out of proportion, and promptly left.

Game's still in my HD but... yeah...
I didn't care about the F2P at all. I quit the game because I'm playing Guild Wars 2 and GW2 more fun from a gameplay aspect. That variety of builds and weapon combos FAR outstrips SWTOR, which has 1 weapon set per class. For the Warrior alone there are 19 possible weapon combos (NINETEEN!). That's not including the combinations of weapon-swap sets.

The storylines might not be up-to-par by Bioware standards, but they get the job done. It's not what I play for and it's not what I was expecting (I prefer to keep my expectations realistic, unlike some people).

The class quests in SWTOR were my reason for playing the game in the first place, and I enjoyed most of them (except for Consular and Knight... they were pretty lame for Jedi stories).

Besides, I might point out (because SOMEHOW people manage to forget) GW2 is already F2P without retarded caps on leveling and endgame content. Why would I continue paying monthly fees when I've already completed the class quests for SWTOR? The answer is obvious: I'm not.
Old 2012-12-07, 00:49   Link #1418
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
I didn't care about the F2P at all. I quit the game because I'm playing Guild Wars 2 and GW2 more fun from a gameplay aspect.
I hope this thread doesn't turn into a GW2 vs SWTOR war, just say'in. GW2 and SWTOR have totally different game play styles...

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-07, 01:11   Link #1419
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scanner View Post
I hope this thread doesn't turn into a GW2 vs SWTOR war, just say'in. GW2 and SWTOR have totally different game play styles...
Not trying to. Just being honest why I left SWTOR. Though I still enjoy the game (I still have a month left on my leftover subscription), I frankly enjoy another game more. That's all.

Just saying because I left SWTOR before the F2P was even implemented. Now that it's free and leveling will be harder, I don't know if it's worth it to even try to go back, especially since my computer seems to barely be able to run it for whatever reason (probably my aging GTX 570... I really need an upgrade >_<).
Old 2012-12-07, 01:35   Link #1420
Mateus

Agent and Sith Warrior looked the most promising imho, can't wait to play it along with FFXIV

Tags
bioware, lucasarts, mmorpg, star wars, windows