AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2011-03-10, 20:13   Link #81
Sekirei07

I am just glad we got to see some more Mami action now
Old 2011-03-10, 20:28   Link #82
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Yeah, even if the price was seeing her go bonkers.
Old 2011-03-10, 20:33   Link #83
Otani-kun
Beta Tester

Send a message via MSN to Otani-kun
If anything, I was sort of dissapointed in her after seeing that. :/

She was always calm in every situation, but the only one to go crazy after learning the truth.
Otani-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 20:39   Link #84
Hagoshod
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Hagoshod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otani-kun View Post
She was always calm in every situation, but the only one to go crazy after learning the truth.
Um... how about Sayaka after the Soul Gem reveal? Or all of the untold PTSD Madoka's mind must be cycling through right now? Not to mention Homura basically being made bipolar by having her best friend die in her arms over and over again.

Breaking the Cutie is this entire show's MO. Mami was just playing her part.

The other thing to consider is Mami has been an MG years, and has only become attached to the happy and fluffy aspects of her job. Suddenly finding out she's a bastardization of nature and she's doomed to become the thing she's devoted her life to fighting has to be absolutely earth-shattering to her. In her mind, her attempted massacre was justified because she was protecting her younger colleagues from having the same curse as her.
Hagoshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 20:47   Link #85
ChronoReverse

I'm not sure she's entirely crazy. Killing all the witches, magical girls and herself is a logical solution. It only misses out that QB can make more.
ChronoReverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 21:09   Link #86
Hagoshod
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
I'm not sure she's entirely crazy. Killing all the witches, magical girls and herself is a logical solution. It only misses out that QB can make more.
ohshi-

I just realized this means Mami and Kyoko came up with same solution, just at different times and in radically different ways.
Old 2011-03-10, 21:11   Link #87
Orin GA

Logical? I think not. She doesnt even ask if there is a way to prevent it. She just straight up murders kyoko 13 seconds after the battle is over. The logical thing would have been to finally listen to everything that homura has to say instead of jumping the gun.

Lol, see what i did there?
Orin GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 21:13   Link #88
ChronoReverse

At this point here, Homura didn't know anything more than they did. Homura learns about them turning into witches but she doesn't know the reason QB's doing it either.

The mistake here is forgetting that QB can make more magical girls.
ChronoReverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 21:14   Link #89
Hagoshod
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orin GA View Post
Logical? I think not. She doesnt even ask if there is a way to prevent it. She just straight up murders kyoko 13 seconds after the battle is over. The logical thing would have been to finally listen to everything that homura has to say instead of jumping the gun.

Lol, see what i did there?
"See! See! I told you so, and now you're all just as doomed as Sayaka because you didn't listen to me and you can't revoke your contracts as Magical Girls!"

What exactly would Homura have to say at that point that would be any more comforting for Mami?
Old 2011-03-10, 21:26   Link #90
Orin GA

Quote:
At this point here, Homura didn't know anything more than they did. Homura learns about them turning into witches but she doesn't know the reason QB's doing it either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagoshod View Post
"See! See! I told you so, and now you're all just as doomed as Sayaka because you didn't listen to me and you can't revoke your contracts as Magical Girls!"

What exactly would Homura have to say at that point that would be any more comforting for Mami?
Thats the point. MAMI does not know how much homura knows. It didnt matter if homura knew squat, she should have at least asked .

And I know some of you are big on the "well its for the greater good" thing, you're starting to sound like a certain four legged creature that eats its remains. Kyoko's life was not for Mami's to take. Kyoko should have been the one to decide what to do with her life on her terms...which she did in episode 9.
Old 2011-03-10, 21:27   Link #91
sa547
*Author

Quote:

QB now makes me think more of Freddie Kruger and his terrifying mind games.
Old 2011-03-10, 21:38   Link #92
Hagoshod
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orin GA View Post
And I know some of you are big on the "well its for the greater good" thing, you're starting to sound like a certain four legged creature that eats its remains.
Except for the fact that Mami's solution is the complete opposite of what Kyubey is trying to do.

Kyubey wants them to suffer and despair and commit senseless atrocities to further his goals. Mami was trying to give them an easy way out while they were still relatively blissful.

And it's for a completely different greater good. Kyubey's ideology is for the greater good for his unsympathetic asshole alien race. Mami's ideology was for the greater good of the girls she was trying to protect.
Old 2011-03-10, 21:52   Link #93
Orin GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagoshod View Post
Except for the fact that Mami's solution is the complete opposite of what Kyubey is trying to do.

Kyubey wants them to suffer and despair and commit senseless atrocities to further his goals. Mami was trying to give them an easy way out while they were still relatively blissful.

And it's for a completely different greater good. Kyubey's ideology is for the greater good for his unsympathetic asshole alien race. Mami's ideology was for the greater good of the girls she was trying to protect.
No, its the same thing. The only difference is that kyubey goals are on a greater scale. Whether or not hes just doing it for his race remains to be seen.

Last edited by Orin GA; 2011-03-10 at 22:10. Reason: Cleaning up some thoughts.
Old 2011-03-10, 22:24   Link #94
Hagoshod
Banned

Okay, let me try to put this into perspective:

You're seriously equating the premeditated actions of a highly intelligent alien being who doesn't give a crap about humanity even at large (as shown in the last timeline Homura went through) to an impulsive choice made by a young girl who just found out her entire existence was a lie and only wanted to protect her very human friends.

The irony of your argument is you're saying Mami would have been a better character if she took the Kyubey approach and remained awkwardly emotionless after seeing Sayaka turn into a Witch.
Old 2011-03-10, 22:35   Link #95
Orin GA

Okay, let me ask you a question. If you were in Kyokos postion would you want to get killed without having time to gather your thoughts. Even madoka knew mami was being irrational. If I was a close friend to kyoko, Id be pretty pissed at wat she just did.
Old 2011-03-11, 03:11   Link #96
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otani-kun View Post
If anything, I was sort of dissapointed in her after seeing that. :/

I was a bit disappointed in Mami there as well. It made for a gripping overall scene, I'll admit (particularly in how Madoka handled it) but it hurt Mami's image a bit in my eyes.

For me, it also definitely shows that dying a hero, in ignorant bliss of how magical girls can become witches, is the best possible fate for Magical Girl Mami.

Edit: I will add, though, that part of the added issue with Mami might be intense immediate guilt over being the person who helped lead Madoka and Sayaka into becoming magical girls. If this was just affecting Mami and Kyoko, maybe she'd take it a bit better.
Old 2011-03-11, 05:24   Link #97
alu546
y prime

Send a message via AIM to alu546
I dont think suddenly shooting an unprepared Kyoko in the heart simultaaneously destroying her soul jem was an act of mercy. Lets be serious here, she had no time to reason and acted impulsively.

Though i do understand how the truth bothered her.
alu546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 12:48   Link #98
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I was a bit disappointed in Mami there as well. It made for a gripping overall scene, I'll admit (particularly in how Madoka handled it) but it hurt Mami's image a bit in my eyes.

For me, it also definitely shows that dying a hero, in ignorant bliss of how magical girls can become witches, is the best possible fate for Magical Girl Mami.

Edit: I will add, though, that part of the added issue with Mami might be intense immediate guilt over being the person who helped lead Madoka and Sayaka into becoming magical girls. If this was just affecting Mami and Kyoko, maybe she'd take it a bit better.
Why? Inside she was scared and lonely. It was expected she'd react in that way. Nothing disgraceful or disappointing in that.
Old 2011-03-11, 13:35   Link #99
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well sad to see Mami come back only to go out like that. Someone I guess had to snap in that situation to prevent them all fighting in the major battle. Kyoko was too upset about Sayaka, Madoka was frozen up, and Homura didn't really care since it wasn't Madoka.

On the other hand Mami in some ways helped to get them into this fight and now finds out the truth. In some cases what they were doing was fighting girls the same as themselves. Their great struggle was just part of QB's plot. Don't think it's unbelievable for the serious strain of that to make her lose it and think the only way to save them from that fate is to destroy the soul gems.
Old 2011-03-11, 13:37   Link #100
Witch of Uncertainty

I felt great pity for Mami. She was obviously tormented by the fact that all they would either die or end up like witches. It did snap for her, but now she is also responsible for Madoka and Sayaka's fate in this mess. She probably went mad with grief after finding that out, and we all know what happens after that. I guess she did too. She even said it herself, that all of them had to die. She wasn't going to spare herself.
Witch of Uncertainty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
characters