AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Steins;Gate

Notices

View Poll Results: Steins;Gate 0 - Episode 12 Rating
Perfect 10 1 10.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 0 0%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 4 40.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 30.00%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 20.00%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2018-06-27, 09:28   Link #1
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Steins;Gate 0 - Episode 12 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Steins;Gate 0, Episode 12.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Character bashing is not on-topic and will not be tolerated.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2018-06-27, 11:48   Link #2
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Well... Recursive Mother Goose wasn't exactly interesting in the VN to begin with, so I can't blame them using it as a filler considering it is still some development for Kagari.

For those who are confused about the flashbacks
Spoiler for Recursive Mother Goose:
Old 2018-06-27, 13:08   Link #3
HtwoN

Yeah, this is kind of a filler episode. I don't care about Kagari that much.
Old 2018-06-27, 13:13   Link #4
Ruki0089
Yandere Otoko Ruki-tan

Right now...I have no idea and my knowledge of VN... completely useless...
Old 2018-06-27, 16:42   Link #5
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I thought they were going for a closed loop with the song, with Mayuri learning about it from Suzuha who learned about it from Mayuri, however they started adding Yuki, Okabe's mom, and Okabe himself into the mix and I didn't know anymore, only to reveal it indeed was a closed loop since Okabe learned about it from Kagari. Talk about needlessly complicating things

It was nice to see Kagari get some development, but that was a pretty boring episode overall. I like the heavy focus on Mayuri though.
Old 2018-06-27, 17:16   Link #6
Nivek von Beldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I thought they were going for a closed loop with the song, with Mayuri learning about it from Suzuha who learned about it from Mayuri, however they started adding Yuki, Okabe's mom, and Okabe himself into the mix and I didn't know anymore, only to reveal it indeed was a closed loop since Okabe learned about it from Kagari. Talk about needlessly complicating things

It was nice to see Kagari get some development, but that was a pretty boring episode overall. I like the heavy focus on Mayuri though.
Yeah or a paradox, seems we will be on a low moment till the story start to put the pedal on gas again
Old 2018-06-27, 18:34   Link #7
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Two things I realized in this episode:

a) Kagari looks older than Okabe when they meet in the past - Could mean she too has a time machine.

b) Ironically, in the Beta line he seems to meet Kagari at the exact same point in time as he met Kurisu in the Alpha and Gamma lines.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
Old 2018-06-27, 18:41   Link #8
HtwoN

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
Two things I realized in this episode:

a) Kagari looks older than Okabe when they meet in the past - Could mean she too has a time machine.

b) Ironically, in the Beta line he seems to meet Kagari at the exact same point in time as he met Kurisu in the Alpha and Gamma lines.
If we take the movie into account, it's really interesting.

Beta is the "original" timeline. So originally, Okabe met Kagari. But Kagari doesn't exist (or doesn't travel to the past) in the S;G world line, so Kurisu needs to take that spot.

Blown my mind lol.
Old 2018-06-27, 18:41   Link #9
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

a) Kagari arrived with Suzuha in 1998 when she was 10 years old. And this is 2005, so she is 17 years old, so no surprise she is actually older than Okarin.

b) That's not possible. Okarin never met Kurisu in the alpha line prior their initial meeting in the radio kaikan. Also, the gamma lines are extremely peculiar and were never shown in the anime or the VN.
Old 2018-06-27, 18:48   Link #10
4th Dimension

TBH, this wasn't the most intriguing episode, but it was CONSIDERABLY more entertaining than the last one. While the whole mysery of the song was kinda inconsequential at first, it was at least some goal I felt they could figure out, and they did. And the goal in the process told me new things about the situation.
To me Kagari seems like some sort of attempt to replicate Kiritsu or something. Especially given her reaction to classical music, presumably Mozart. And given Okabe met her back then, that he doesn't remember meeting her despite picking up the song, and post credit scene revealing that people were following her back then, at least adds mysteries I feel the cast can solve to figure out the situation.
Plus it had some funny moments and like.

Also I wonder if the "new" ED is here to stay, or is it for just this episode? Kinda looks plain for the second part ED.

Join Midchilda Discord server - a Nanoha community server
Old 2018-06-27, 18:55   Link #11
MCAL

The scene between Okabe and his mom was just as hilarious as the VN. Other than that a decent episode. Actually thought it was much better than the VN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Dimension View Post
Also I wonder if the "new" ED is here to stay, or is it for just this episode? Kinda looks plain for the second part ED.
It was just for this episode. It was one of the ending songs from the VN. Although only Han Megumi sung it in the VN while she and Hanazawa Kana sing it in the anime.
Old 2018-06-27, 19:05   Link #12
GDB

Thought it was Professor Reyes on the phone for a minute, to be honest. Really glad it wasn't, because at that point it'd feel like they were just trying to get as many characters involved in each others' pasts as possible.
Old 2018-06-27, 19:16   Link #13
Wandering Soul

I've heard from people that finished the VN that Kagari is responsible for the worst parts of the story and while I can't say anything about that, so far she's responsible for the most boring episode.
Old 2018-06-27, 19:30   Link #14
HtwoN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Soul View Post
I've heard from people that finished the VN that Kagari is responsible for the worst parts of the story.
You are lucky that the anime scratched that part already.
Old 2018-06-28, 00:58   Link #15
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I thought they were going for a closed loop with the song, with Mayuri learning about it from Suzuha who learned about it from Mayuri, however they started adding Yuki, Okabe's mom, and Okabe himself into the mix and I didn't know anymore, only to reveal it indeed was a closed loop since Okabe learned about it from Kagari. Talk about needlessly complicating things.
"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2nNzNo_Xps

Old 2018-06-28, 05:46   Link #16
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2nNzNo_Xps

I feel like this warrants a Bootstrap Paradox explanation from Capaldi instead.
Old 2018-06-28, 08:13   Link #17
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

It's funny how many names this paradox has been given: "closed time loop" "bootstrap paradox"... If you type those on wikipedia you get redirected to Causal loop

There's also "free lunch paradox" and "ontological paradox" that are essentially the same thing.

Anyway what I find strange about this whole deal is how the song got deeply stuck in the head of everyone that listened to it, so much that it became the key to recover from amnesia in Kagari's case, and yet the only one that doesn't remember it at all is Rintaro.

Usually he is the one that remember stuff while no one else does. It's quite ironic.

Well I could think of a possible explanation to solve all of this, though it's probably not true, but I'll expose it anyway.

Basically imagine that the origin of the song is indeed Rintaro, that's something he came up with to cheer up Mayuri. However Kagari goes back in the past and meets Rintaro and sings him the song before he could compose it, this creates a completely new timeline.

Now since Rintaro possesses the Reading Steiner ability he finds himself with two conflicting memories "I created this song" and "I learned this song from a mysterious girl", his young mind simply can't handle the contradiction and protects itself by erasing all memories about the subject.

Old 2018-06-28, 10:51   Link #18
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Nah he didn't create that song. He actually did learn it from a mysterious girl. Remember, Okarin "Prime" grew up in the beta timeline.

Unlike most people, I actually loved this episode. It was great. Feels all around. I love this.
Old 2018-06-28, 12:27   Link #19
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

More than the thing about how the song came about though, was that whatever timeline and whatever age, mayuri is mama and mama is mayuri and mayuri is mama

also, what was in that song on the radio that triggered kagari to walk around and almost get run over by a truck? Was it something that the bad guys (for a lack of a better term) used on her while she was in captivity?

lastly, I can't watch this anymore withough cracking up whenever suzuha says mayonnaise-san
Old 2018-06-28, 12:41   Link #20
Marina2

Thinking about it, now this Mayuri will adopt young Kagari in the future because she knows that a girl will grow into the woman she met in the past.

Another Paradox