AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2003-12-06, 23:27   Link #1
Shift_

Nadesico: Prince of Darkness [Spoilers]

So I bought the series and the movie....

The TV series was awsome, I can't fight that, then the movie came...and destroyed EVERYTHING.

Personally I thought the movie was going to be good, but it was rushed right to the end, they left a bunch of loose ends, and leave room for another movie/ova/series thing although that's probally never going to happen.

What pisses me off was how the movie ended, Akito runs away without seeing Yurika, pretty stupid and open ending.

I mean they NEEDED this to finish the TV series, but Akito could of finally been reunited wth Yurika and everything would be happy happy.
Shift_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-07, 04:42   Link #2
DrWho2002
Fushigi Mystery!! @_@

Well considering all the crap that happened to Akito I'm not really surprised he took off after things were over. He wasn't the same character as in the TV series, so I don't think things could have ended "happy happy".
DrWho2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-07, 13:08   Link #3
aquilus
Dismember!

I liked the movie, for the same reasons that you hated it for ... and I really like endings that arent all happy-happy.
aquilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-07, 13:24   Link #4
Shift_

Well I could of Lived with the ending if they didn't completely destroy the feeling of the series, the pacing and the "aura" was completely off.
Old 2003-12-07, 17:38   Link #5
Wandering A.I.
エッチだ! しかたない

I loved the movie. Akito finally got to be cool and we got to see Ruri step up and take charge. Maybe I miss the humor a little, but definitely not Akito's old whining self. There isn't really room in the movie for even a tenth of the whining and mood swings Akito pulled in the series. The love question is solved and the bad guys have been made actually quite bad and deserving of an ass kicking as well, so it would be misplaced anyway.

I think an ending where he stayed would have been bad for various reasons as well. What is he going to do with all his senses scrambled? If Lapis came to live with them like Ruri did she would just be a Ruri copy. This way the two of them can be off doing things (maybe a vengeance kick or freaking super heroes, who knows - they were useful this time around, no?) and Akito can be alive and functional rather than suffering and useless at home. If you rewrite so he hadn't been crippled than you weaken his relationship with Lapis (both in needs and common ground) and his reasons for fighting full out the way he does. IMHO it's better the way it is and better for showing progress rather than continuing the same old thing.
Wandering A.I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-08, 03:26   Link #6
DrWho2002
Fushigi Mystery!! @_@

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift_
Well I could of Lived with the ending if they didn't completely destroy the feeling of the series, the pacing and the "aura" was completely off.

Look up the synopsis for the Dreamcast Nadesico game "The Blank of Three Years" and you'll understand why Akito does the things he does in the movie a whole lot better and why the movie has such a different feel than the TV series.
Old 2003-12-09, 06:25   Link #7
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

Here's what happened during the 3 year period between the TV series and the movie:

This is off the top of my head, so bear with mel:

Spoiler:

Last edited by Village Idiot; 2003-12-09 at 06:35.
Village Idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-09, 12:17   Link #8
DrWho2002
Fushigi Mystery!! @_@

Anyone got a synopsis for the Nadesico: The Mission game? I couldn't find much using Google.
Old 2003-12-12, 06:29   Link #9
Sanjiyan
Flag Supporter

Anyone mind giving a synopsis of the Game ? Now I dying to know how they conclude the story and I won't be playing the game anytime soon unfortunately.

Thanks in advance.
Sanjiyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-12, 12:16   Link #10
Shift_

IT WOULD of been nice if they had also released the games in North America...I'd buy a dream cast JUST to play the game so I can understand this shit.
Old 2004-01-15, 10:16   Link #11
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Huh. I just read the synopsis from Village Idiot (for which thank you) and noticed that I was able to figure out most of that stuff just by watching POD, which I have done several times.

The thing I like about POD is getting a little more into Ruri's world. She is a fascinating character. Although a lot of backstory gets hinted at in a short amount of time, I didn't really feel like I needed to hang out in these different scenes with the characters, so it worked for me.

I wasn't aware that this title was out on DVD but now that I know I kind of want to get it.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-15, 17:10   Link #12
Lambda

I just never really got into the movie. Didn't ever really find myself interested. It seemed a trifle rushed to me, plus the ending didn't really seem "ending-like", more like just the place where they stopped.
Lambda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-15, 23:54   Link #13
Kamui4356
Aria Company

I liked to movie. It was great. Then again I like anything Nadesico. I've concluded that people who liked Nadesio for it's comedy hate the movie, those who liked the series for both didn't like it, but didn't hate it, and those that liked the series for the dramatic aspects liked the movie. The problem is many people were expecting comedy. Instead they got pure action and drama. People tend not to like things when it isn't what they expect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWho2002
Anyone got a synopsis for the Nadesico: The Mission game? I couldn't find much using Google.
I have the game, but it's been a really long time since I've played it, and my japanese is limited so I don't remember much. It was good though. I remember there was sort of a date with Ruri.
Old 2004-01-16, 03:49   Link #14
haren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
I liked to movie. It was great. Then again I like anything Nadesico. I've concluded that people who liked Nadesio for it's comedy hate the movie, those who liked the series for both didn't like it, but didn't hate it, and those that liked the series for the dramatic aspects liked the movie. The problem is many people were expecting comedy. Instead they got pure action and drama. People tend not to like things when it isn't what they expect.
I'd have to agree with you. The Movie was ment to be a throw back to the manga aposed to being a direct series-movie translation. There are other movie/manga/series that do this. A great example of this is the Ah! My Goddess The Series, and the Movie. While you knew the principals in the movie, you were lost when they flashed over to characters that were introduced long ago in the manga and Belldandy is talking to them as if she had just got off the phone with them a day before the movie takes place.

And now a few spoilers for those who care:
Spoiler:
haren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-16, 15:09   Link #15
ShinDragon

Again....... ADV's releasing anime out of order.......

They were supposed released the Gekiganger OVA before the movie....
Now the movie's finally out. (Sure took them LONG enough to release the movie.)
but where's Gekiganger OVA!?? Sigh............
ShinDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-19, 03:04   Link #16
Misha~su
~Tee hee hee~

Question Nadesico: Prince of Darkness (Spoilers)

After watching the Nadesico series and then seeing the movie I was thoroughly confused.
What is the storyline of the movie? And exactly what is boson jumping?

Last edited by xris; 2004-04-19 at 03:16. Reason: Merged with existing Nadesico thread
Misha~su is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-19, 03:16   Link #17
cdpinoyx01

I think the movie takes place 2 years after the series. I might be wrong here, I watched the movie a while back. Well, Boson jumping is basically teleporting. They did it a number of times in the series using the crystals to teleport.
cdpinoyx01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-19, 04:55   Link #18
Misha~su
~Tee hee hee~

I mean I've seen the movie but I don't understand it all really. To be honest it seemed they killed the essence of the characters such as Akito and Yurika. Although I know plenty of people enjoyed the matured storyline.
Things happened quite quickly though which is probably where I sort of lost the plot.
What makes Akito and Yurika and Inez Class A jumpers if all you need is crystals?
How does Yurika help the boson jumping system by being placed in the ruins?
Misha~su is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-19, 09:58   Link #19
DrWho2002
Fushigi Mystery!! @_@

Did you not read the spoilers for the game that takes place between the TV series and movie? That will answer most of your questions.
Old 2004-06-14, 22:17   Link #20
The Undertaker
OCTB Undercover

Unhappy Er...Martian Successor Nadesico Movie Question

You see, I might be a little late since this movie is old, but I watched it recently, and I'm really confused. The movie never really explained how Akito and Yurika became what they were. How did Akito lose all his senses? Who's that little girl with him? How did Yurika become that jumping cube? (sorry I forgot the name, B-...Jump I think lol) If someone knows the answers to these questions, please tell me, it's really troubling me lol. Thank you
The Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote