Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2010-08-27, 06:15   Link #301
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by John D. View Post
I wouldn't count Zoro completely out just yet though. He frequently displays an uncanny intimidating presence, which several characters throughout the series has remarked upon, and Rayleigh obviously possessed it, and he was first mate just as Zoro is.
Zoro's intimidation IMO is just bloodlust, there are just some people that can literally make you taste fear from a glance and thats the type of person Zoro is, it could be King's Haki but I doubt it.

Rainbowman why did you put Robin having King's haki as a definite I don't find anything intimidating about her and neither do most other people in the manga, she is quite insecure and afraid, something that isn't in most leaders and I doubt would be in someone with King's haki.

Common themes associated with people with king's haki: Charismatic, intimidating, strong, leadership abilities.

I'm guessing Garp and Dragon will also be users of king's haki, since angry Garp is the most intimidating thing next to an angry minotaur and dragon hybrid.

I would laugh if Buggy becomes the next Shichibukai or Supernova.

We are DOLLARS, credit for sig goes to CMHerrera-chan
Cub-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-27, 08:39   Link #302
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

no one is talking about buggy?

buggy = king's haki?
Old 2010-08-27, 09:26   Link #303
Kallen4life

it's been suggested
Kallen4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-27, 10:41   Link #304
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub-Sama View Post
Rainbowman why did you put Robin having King's haki as a definite I don't find anything intimidating about her and neither do most other people in the manga, she is quite insecure and afraid, something that isn't in most leaders and I doubt would be in someone with King's haki.
She's rather good with threats. Besides she won't be insecure for much longer, not with Monkey D. Dragon training her. Also, I may have placed Nami having King's Haki as a possible, but I think she should have King's Haki in order for her to be Luffy's Queen.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-27, 11:10   Link #305
james0246

^I don't know, after Sanji finishes his training, he may very well be Luffy's "Queen"...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-27, 11:36   Link #306
Rainbowman

^Even though I find that joke icky, you spoke the truth about Sanji very well.
Old 2010-08-27, 19:03   Link #307
Gin
*Artist

As far as what crew member will get what kind of haki, my thoughts are:

Luffy- all 3, Rayleigh will see to that.

Zoro- He has already shown traces of mantra, but he will need the armor type to protect his nakama. I don't think he will get the conqueror's color, his willingness to subjugate himself to Mihawk shows me that he doesn't have a conqueror's ambition.

Sanji- armor type, no real reasoning behind this, other than the fact that he will need it in the new world.

Nami- Mantra, being able to predict things would make her an even better navigator than she is now. I also think she might have conqueror's since she seems very adept at manipulating people.

Robin- I don't see her learning any haki, armor type would make her too hax, but maybe she will get mantra just to be a little stronger for the new world.

Franky- None, he should be getting more than enough new fire power when he finishes upgrading himself in Vegapunk's lab.

Usopp- I don't think he will learn more than one type and i'm leaning towards the armor type since he's training with Hercules(un) and we've already seen the damage haki imbued projectiles do. I think mantra would be another good choice for him though since it would let him predict his targets' movements which would improve his overall accuracy.

Brooke- Conqueror's, I think it would go well with his music. He could be like the pied piper.

Chopper- Maybe mantra?
Old 2010-08-27, 19:53   Link #308
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gin View Post
Zoro- He has already shown traces of mantra, but he will need the armor type to protect his nakama. I don't think he will get the conqueror's color, his willingness to subjugate himself to Mihawk shows me that he doesn't have a conqueror's ambition.
But Luffy would be just as willing to bow down before someone else if it would save his nakama or help him save them, like Mihawk says the only reason Zoro would swallow his pride is because of other people. The same trait is also present in Shanks.

Luffy and Zoro's willingness to take pain just to protect their friends I mean Luffy and Zoro can really take pain especially Zoro I'm surprised he beat those baboons with those injuries, is a trait that a lot of leaders have.

I'm sure Roger would rather die if it would save his crew, IIRC he laid waste to someone's fleet for insulting his friends

We are DOLLARS, credit for sig goes to CMHerrera-chan
Cub-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-28, 13:38   Link #309
Rainbowman

Quote:
As far as what crew member will get what kind of haki, my thoughts are:

Luffy- all 3, Rayleigh will see to that.
That's true.

Quote:
I'll say it's true that Zoro won't learn the conqueror's color as he doesn't have that kind of ambition.

Quote:
Sanji- armor type, no real reasoning behind this, other than the fact that he will need it in the new world.
Sanji would also need the mantra type haki to sense any threats that would come to harm.

Quote:
Nami- Mantra, being able to predict things would make her an even better navigator than she is now. I also think she might have conqueror's since she seems very adept at manipulating people.
I agree that Nami would be good with the mantra haki and that she has some hint of conqueror's haki without even knowing it. Of course I think she should learn the armor type as well in completing all 3 types. She would be able to use the armor haki by infusing it into her Clima-tact.

Quote:
Robin- I don't see her learning any haki, armor type would make her too hax, but maybe she will get mantra just to be a little stronger for the new world.
I agree that Robin should learn the mantra type.

Quote:
Franky- None, he should be getting more than enough new fire power when he finishes upgrading himself in Vegapunk's lab.
I don't know, I'm thinking Franky should learn the mantra type in case he was temporaraly blinded.

Quote:
Usopp- I don't think he will learn more than one type and i'm leaning towards the armor type since he's training with Hercules(un) and we've already seen the damage haki imbued projectiles do. I think mantra would be another good choice for him though since it would let him predict his targets' movements which would improve his overall accuracy.
I think Usopp should only have two of the three types. His ambition would be too weak for conqueror's haki.

Quote:
Brooke- Conqueror's, I think it would go well with his music. He could be like the pied piper.
I'm not sure Brook has that kind of ambition. I think of him as someone who would use his music for peace rather than conquest. I would recommend he have the mantra type so he can listen to the music around him (much like Cantus of Fraggle Rock) and the armor type so he can infuse it in the instruments he plays.

Quote:
Chopper- Maybe mantra?
The mantra type does sound like a good choice for Chopper as well as the armor type for going against Devil Fruit users. There may a possibility he could use the conqueror type haki in his monster form, but that's just me.
Old 2010-08-28, 15:28   Link #310
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

If only comedically, Nami can already use armor-type Haki when she beats the crap out of Luffy on various occasions.
Old 2010-08-30, 03:23   Link #311
FoxxFireArt

Send a message via Yahoo to FoxxFireArt
Quote:
Originally Posted by morbosfist View Post
If only comedically, Nami can already use armor-type Haki when she beats the crap out of Luffy on various occasions.
What about Nami having Kenbunshoku (mind reading)? It might explain her near psychic weather prediction ability. Even Vivi was shocked Nami predicted a Grand Line Cyclone. Those aren't suppose to be able to be predicted.
Old 2010-08-30, 13:46   Link #312
ellifeedn
Thinker

I know this may sound odd, but work with me. In Jojo's Bizarre Adventures, is it possible that Star Platinum is advanced armor haki and Purple Hermit is advanced observation haki?
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-30, 20:38   Link #313
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
I know this may sound odd, but work with me. In Jojo's Bizarre Adventures, is it possible that Star Platinum is advanced armor haki and Purple Hermit is advanced observation haki?

Funny you should mention this, because in recent years Araki kind of retconned Hamon (or ripple, whichever you prefer) by implying that it might have been a sort of Stand power. If you put that into consideration, then yeah, you could say that those two Stands may represent those forms of Haki. Still, you have to wonder which type of Haki would fit any of the more obtuse Stand powers like Crazy Diamond, Pearl Jam, Gold Experience (not Requiem), Superfly, Cheap Trick, D4C, and.... hell, just about every Stand from Stone Ocean?

Anyway, there's something I've been rather curious about..... since Haki has officially been established to literally be "will" power, I wonder if this means that we'll see an "empty" type of Haki appear at some point? To be more specific, I'm talking about a type of Haki that carries no "feeling" behind it, which would make it harder to fight against, due to a lack of "presence". To use an example from a different manga, I'll reference Lone Wolf and Cub, where the titular lone wolf Ogami Itto can kill his opponents while erasing his Sakki (bloodlust). I just think it would be interesting if Oda introduces some villains at some point who can make themselves completely devoid of emotion when they fight, which would make them a completely unpredictable match for the Straw-Hats.....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-30, 21:00   Link #314
james0246

^You don't even have to go back to Lone Wolf to get an example of what you are talking about. Seta Soujiro (of Rurouni Kenshin...of which Oda was an assistant on) was one of Himura Kenshin's greatest foes specifically because he fought without emotions.
Old 2010-08-30, 21:10   Link #315
marvelB

^Sure, I could've mentioned Kenshin, but I just wanted to use an example from a superior series. Heck, I could even reference the artificial humans from DB who have no ki to sense for another example (like #17, #18, #16, etc.). Still, I was thinking more along the lines of human characters rather than robots or cyborgs.....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-30, 21:38   Link #316
james0246

^Kenshin is the more obvious series, though, because Oda did work on it. So, if your speculation ever came to pass, the intial comparison would most likely be Seta Soujirou...
Old 2010-08-31, 11:23   Link #317
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
They are similar to Haki because Stands, Hamon/Ripple and Haki are all derived from 'Ki'.

I've explained such things last time, in the previous pages, but let me try to put things into perspective again.

While Haki is said to be one's will, it is not so simple, the word has 2 components, 'Ha' and 'Ki'. 'Ha' means 'ambition', 'domination' among other meanings. 'Ki' is the word that means a person's will, lifeforce, the atmosphere or feeling given by the person, place or object.

Put together, Haki means 'the will to dominate', meaning one's ambition.

There literally 100s of other types of Ki, Sakki which means killing intention, 'Yuuki' which means courage, 'Touki' which means fighting spirit, 'Genki' which is health, 'Yaruki', willingness to do something, 'Jaki', evil intention, 'Youki', ghostly presence etc. etc.

As you can see Ki forms the basis of everything that is spiritual, emotional, intentions and other things that can be felt. And when I said Ki also means the atmosphere, it doesn't just mean emotional atmosphere, it literally means the atmosphere itself, 'Tenki' means weather.

Ok, back at the question, you can relate those Stands to the types of Haki that Oda created, just like you can relate Sharingan as a type of observational Haki. This is all because all these manga authors base their ability mechanics on the oriental concept of Ki.

But Stands are closer to Ki itself than Haki, each Stand user's Stand is a direct manifestation of their will and intentions, meaning they represent different types of Ki. If someone has lots of Sakki, killing intention, he will probably manifest a Stand that's murderous. You can even say Weather Report is literally a manifestation of 'Tenki', weather.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Funny you should mention this, because in recent years Araki kind of retconned Hamon (or ripple, whichever you prefer) by implying that it might have been a sort of Stand power. If you put that into consideration, then yeah, you could say that those two Stands may represent those forms of Haki. Still, you have to wonder which type of Haki would fit any of the more obtuse Stand powers like Crazy Diamond, Pearl Jam, Gold Experience (not Requiem), Superfly, Cheap Trick, D4C, and.... hell, just about every Stand from Stone Ocean?

Anyway, there's something I've been rather curious about..... since Haki has officially been established to literally be "will" power, I wonder if this means that we'll see an "empty" type of Haki appear at some point? To be more specific, I'm talking about a type of Haki that carries no "feeling" behind it, which would make it harder to fight against, due to a lack of "presence". To use an example from a different manga, I'll reference Lone Wolf and Cub, where the titular lone wolf Ogami Itto can kill his opponents while erasing his Sakki (bloodlust). I just think it would be interesting if Oda introduces some villains at some point who can make themselves completely devoid of emotion when they fight, which would make them a completely unpredictable match for the Straw-Hats.....
Well the 1st half of my post above probably answers a few questions of yours and gives you a different perspective.

On a type of Ki that carries no feeling, its called 'Kuuki'. The word literally means 'empty ki', which also means 'empty air/atmosphere'. Normally its used to describe all the atmosphere around us, they are simply 'empty' atmospheres, a mixture of gases in space waiting for things to affect and give them a Ki. I'll get back to that but first I'll talk about how Ki doesn't just describe or work with humans, its in everything.

Let's say you see a very old and creepy looking house at night, it looks like a haunted house, because it has this ghostly atmosphere. That's right, that house has 'Youki', a ghostly presence/atmosphere. And like I said, there's 100s of 'Ki', you can literally slap any word together with Ki and describe anything. That minefield has a dangerous Ki, the girl has a kawaii Ki, the food is delicious and has a Ki that makes you hungry, something like that.

And back at 'Kuuki', the most recent description of Kuuki I've heard was in Blazblue. Shishigami Bang a Super Ninja who can sense Ki, was fighting Noel Vermillion, a cyborg who enters a robotic trance when in danger or battle.

Bang told Noel at the end of the fight that he sensed no Sakki(killing intention in her) and that's why he stopped fighting. He then said that Noel felt rather empty, void of emotions when she fights, it feels just like fighting 'Kuuki', air itself.

This means that this opponent is completely unpredictable, you're hitting air, you're hitting nothing, you don't know what you'll get.

Quite a long and maybe confusing post, not sure if it helps.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-31, 12:32   Link #318
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post

done already in many chinese martial arts novel

Ku Lung's writing was especially adapt at these Ki battles. Most of his fights usually starts off with a staring contest and a battle of Ki.

Last edited by Xellos-_^; 2010-08-31 at 13:14.
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-31, 13:12   Link #319
Kallen4life

I wonder how mantra and move-predictment can be countered (other then having far superior speed, ala first fight of Lee & Sasuke, but that already means you won) .. presumably logia-nullifying haki can be countered with armor haki (Akainu vs Vista) and kings haki by just having a strong haki of your own (obviously you cannot just knock out top tiers like that)

maybe the above post is the answer

I remember Luffy vs Enel, but that srsly won't work for anyone except Luffy probably and at best it got a few hits on Enel, that's all .. someone like Mihawk would shred him to pieces the moment he closes his eyes like that
Kallen4life is offline   Reply With Quote