AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-03-08, 12:58   Link #461
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Best episode yet. We finally delve into Mayu's backstory, the animation was good for a change, and even the voice acting felt a little more polished than usual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esclair View Post
Man, Mayu really got the short end of the stick there, all for sticking up for a friend. No wonder she was disillusioned.
All agreed.

Regarding her friend being dismissed on one level one could say "rules are rules", but there is more to it than that somehow. The main message being sent is that the only way permissable in I-1 for a young lady to fulfil the dream of being an idol is to agree to being dehumanized by the structure the company sets up, and that to a degree it is not just an dehumanizing job, one has to enter into a dehumanizing way of life to a degree even outside the workplace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I thought Mayu's backstory would be a little more... I don't know, dramatic? I have no idea why she hid this for so long. She wasn't at fault at all.
Agree it was kinda subdued, but if you remember the early ep where it showed Mayu crying hysterically in the stairwell with her friend after losing the battle and weigh in the fact that not only does she blame herself for contributing to her parents' divorce (which she has to live with day in and out) I'd say it is not surprising at all she has been so withdrawn. Besides, her mother at least does seem to feel Mayu was at fault and is rubbing it in her face in a few eps back.

I do agree they could have unpacked the whole effect of what happened, but I think the ep was about moving forward as a group more than solely going into detail about Mayu's getting the short end of the stick?
Old 2014-03-09, 06:42   Link #462
cyth
Banned

Shiraki is such an otaku, that's what's problematic with these Japanese entertainment industries, they will never change because they are run by radical fans themselves. It's a perfect illustration of what's been happening in the anime industry as well.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-09, 07:08   Link #463
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
Shiraki is such an otaku, that's what's problematic with these Japanese entertainment industries, they will never change because they are run by radical fans themselves. It's a perfect illustration of what's been happening in the anime industry as well.
If Shiraki is an otaku, then he should have otaku tendencies.

Still, you're right that the idol industry will never change because purity matters to the hardcore fans.
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-12, 07:41   Link #464
Seiryuu

I don't see anything wrong with valuing purity on some levels. Especially since, while they do have a ton of fans who are grown men, they also tend to have fans who look up to and emulate them among younger girls. For this reason, I'd at least understand discouraging the girls from going to hotels or spending the night with boys, since then you're getting into a particularly sensitive area. But a girl having male friends or even going on dates and having a boyfriend is different so long as she's discreet, it in fact is absurd in my view to force girls to sing themselves hoarse about a feeling and experience that they're forbidden to feel. Some form of courtship should be allowed.
All that said, the understandable but pathetic truth is that the reason girls are dumped once they are caught in a relationship is because the older male fanbase makes up too big a portion of their income, and many of these fans have warped views about their idols that reject the notion of one doing so much as talking to a boy. As a result, when they find out that the girl so much as went out on a date, this portion of the fanbase starts to view a girl as impure; this means that an idol engaging in romance is a major hit to her sales, and since the ones running the show only care about the money, actions that hurt their profits are major issues. From a financial POV, this is understandable but despicable. For the younger fans I could understand not letting things go too far, even cutting off girls who go beyond certain points; America as well could do with fewer stars the kids go crazy for suddenly breaking every rule they can and transforming themselves into the worst role models imaginable. But no matter how profitable the severe otakus are, I don't think it should justify dumping a girl just because she kissed a boy or took a few pictures with him. So long as she's not caught breaking laws or exhibiting morals that could raise a fuss (and I'd include sex here since, as I said, some of the fanbase includes kids whose parents may want to discourage doing this before a certain point), a girl should be allowed to continue.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-12, 09:21   Link #465
cyth
Banned

The thing is nobody is forced to pay for their CDs and merchandise, but of course fans are not buying CDs for the music, they are buying a make-believe girlfriend or a fantasy. As soon as their fantasy is ruined, they stop buying CDs because they don't give a fuck about the music. I remember visual kei bands being forbidden to have sex with their fans because, get this, that fan and their money is then lost forever. After having sex, the fan maxes out on the fantasy and stops going to their concerts/buying CDs. Of course they can't date them, else they forfit their career. Really, it is all about the profit. They are in business of selling and maintaining fantasies. Also, I'd jest they are selling controversy by setting these girls up every once in a while.

It's basically the same thing as with Youtube stars that live off donations. As soon as a fanbase collectively decides the entertainer shouldn't be doing something, they crucify him/her on social media and financially. When people start supporting entertainers because of what they represent to them (a friend, a girlfriend, a daughter), the entertainer isn't producing work, they themselves are becoming the product.
Old 2014-03-12, 12:40   Link #466
DingoEnderZOE2

Send a message via AIM to DingoEnderZOE2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
The thing is nobody is forced to pay for their CDs and merchandise, but of course fans are not buying CDs for the music, they are buying a make-believe girlfriend or a fantasy. As soon as their fantasy is ruined, they stop buying CDs because they don't give a fuck about the music. I remember visual kei bands being forbidden to have sex with their fans because, get this, that fan and their money is then lost forever. After having sex, the fan maxes out on the fantasy and stops going to their concerts/buying CDs. Of course they can't date them, else they forfit their career. Really, it is all about the profit. They are in business of selling and maintaining fantasies. Also, I'd jest they are selling controversy by setting these girls up every once in a while.
!? Wait wait wait there was an idol group in Japan that had Sex with their fans, and this became a no no rule???? Details please, because I swear I thought that act was 100% taboo no matter what, and here I'm hearing it's been done.
Anime evaluating:None
Manga in progress:None at the moment
DingoEnderZOE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-14, 12:09   Link #467
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Spoiler for Episode 10:
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-14, 13:42   Link #468
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingoEnderZOE2 View Post
!? Wait wait wait there was an idol group in Japan that had Sex with their fans, and this became a no no rule???? Details please, because I swear I thought that act was 100% taboo no matter what, and here I'm hearing it's been done.
Groupies

He's referring to visual kei bands, which are made up of guys and cater to a female fanbase. They generally perform rock music.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-14, 14:12   Link #469
Kumagawa

Okay is it me or does it seem there's a missing episode between 8 and 9?
Kumagawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-14, 22:10   Link #470
Esclair

Oh God! The QUALITY!!!!!

Aside from that it was a great episode. Hopefully these dances are fixed in the blu-ray versions. I didn't really see that twist at the end coming since they already had enough on their plates, but I guess it makes sense their final song would be something that comes from 'them'.
Esclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-15, 04:21   Link #471
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esclair View Post
Oh God! The QUALITY!!!!!

Aside from that it was a great episode. Hopefully these dances are fixed in the blu-ray versions. I didn't really see that twist at the end coming since they already had enough on their plates, but I guess it makes sense their final song would be something that comes from 'them'.
Spoiler for Episode 10::
Old 2014-03-16, 05:04   Link #472
cyth
Banned

Spoiler for speculation:
Old 2014-03-16, 10:57   Link #473
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

That freaking performance, man. It's one thing to mess up your normal animation, but this time Ordet completely bombed on the one scene that needs to look decent. I don't even care anymore; this has crossed the line from horrible to hilarious.

Images
more
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Bonus:
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-16, 13:49   Link #474
AC-Phoenix
Detective

I doubt anyone will go to court, but a lot of people will wonder why I-1 is suddenly copying an Idol group no one has ever heard of before that event.

I also think that the entire event was just a farce in order to get WUG to the finals, and the result was already predetermined.
As I stated earlier already, the I-1 lead said that they are going to crush Mayu soon a while ago, yet nothing in that direction ever happened.

Now they don't only copy their song right before the finals, but also WUG suddenly wins a tournament against people that were probably out there ways longer than them and also have way more experience.

The entire thing smells like a big set up.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-16, 15:22   Link #475
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Quote:
I doubt anyone will go to court, but a lot of people will wonder why I-1 is suddenly copying an Idol group no one has ever heard of before that event.
It will obviously be the other way around. They would think the less popular of the two copied the more popular one, never mind that they performed it first.

It's not like we didn't know about this before, I-1's leader and the songwriter guy's scene talking about WUG was already shown before.

"what? that group who won the regionals performed an I-1 song to win the tournament? The contest was rigged!" and of course, public opinion will be against WUG.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-16, 16:12   Link #476
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodonk View Post
It will obviously be the other way around. They would think the less popular of the two copied the more popular one, never mind that they performed it first.

It's not like we didn't know about this before, I-1's leader and the songwriter guy's scene talking about WUG was already shown before.

"what? that group who won the regionals performed an I-1 song to win the tournament? The contest was rigged!" and of course, public opinion will be against WUG.
They can actually proof their contract with hayasaka, so the problem is not really on their end.
Its also far more plausible that L1 copied the song in a short time from just seing it once than WUG doing the same, especially considering their past performances.

Either way any of the anime characters with only half a brain cell will get that it is literally impossible for them to deliberately copy L1 before they performed it, but very plausible the other way around.

It's my personal take on their intention, but I think they just wanted to show the world how easy it is for them to do WUG's coreography despite it's difficulty just within a few days while it probably took WUG a lot longer to get it. Basically showing how much superior they are. - thats my take on their intentions though I might also be completely wrong.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-16, 19:17   Link #477
Jaden

Yeah, Hayasaka created a situation where WUG gets directly compared to I-1. And of course, WUG looks bad in comparison. It's his way of egging them on like before..."So you managed to qualify, but you still suck, so don't let it get to your heads."
Old 2014-03-17, 01:59   Link #478
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Yeah, Hayasaka created a situation where WUG gets directly compared to I-1. And of course, WUG looks bad in comparison. It's his way of egging them on like before..."So you managed to qualify, but you still suck, so don't let it get to your heads."
Ouch, that maybe plausible. But remember when Shiho said to Mayushi that they'll crush WUG, it seems that the I-1 Club won't even have to face them once Shiraki sued Green Leaves.
Old 2014-03-17, 06:04   Link #479
Lyrical Crimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post

I also think that the entire event was just a farce in order to get WUG to the finals, and the result was already predetermined.
As I stated earlier already, the I-1 lead said that they are going to crush Mayu soon a while ago, yet nothing in that direction ever happened.

Now they don't only copy their song right before the finals, but also WUG suddenly wins a tournament against people that were probably out there ways longer than them and also have way more experience.

The entire thing smells like a big set up.
I don't think, this was a farce, because it was an overkill, just like the school days ending. If WUG looses to I-1, which was likely, definetely you would crush anything, the show built up to that point and you could not be sure, what to remember from this anime apart from the ending and maybe friendship is awesome.
I find the ending of school days great and I wouldn't mind WUG to end aswell in destruction, but up until now I got more and more the feeling the show has got a true healing type character, similiar to Kokoro Connect.
The question is now, which kind of plot twist, do we have in the last episodes. I find it kinda hard to figure out the meaning, that I-1 preforms the same song as WUG and what will actually happen then. Do they intend to let WUG win?
Lyrical Crimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-17, 08:49   Link #480
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
Few are as enlightened as us, who can see through the guise of Twilight and Bieberism.
There is a huge gap of a difference between this and Western pop.

My beef with Western pop is that -- except for a very few who are more on substance -- in most cases it's more on ego, image, the lifestyle and the hangers-on. And trying to outdo Madonna, who've seen it all.

Most real-life idols are a flip side of those personalities, contrary to what Yamakan is trying to exaggerate for dramatic effect, or demonizing the whole scene with stereotypes for his personal benefit.

Tags
idol industry, idols, yamakan