AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2018-03-01, 05:41   Link #1
marvelB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
One Piece - Chapter 896 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.


It's back to business as usual! Credit goes to AP's prathhamm and Sandman for the info:


-Chapter title is "The last wish". Ministory has Hajrudin establishing himself as the captain of his own crew after ditching Buggy.

-At Cacao Island, the various warriors of Big Mom's crew are surrounding the last remaining mirror, waiting for Luffy. They figure he might run from Katakuri and use Brulee to escape, so they're ready for him just in case. According to Mont d'Or, even Gold Roger himself wouldn't be able to escape such an entrapment!

-Sanji, who's hiding nearby with Pudding, watches the gathered forces. he aims to take Luffy and escape as quickly as possible the moment the rubber man emerges from the mirror world. He thanks Pudding for her help, and while the latter wants to apologize for the trouble she caused, her "evil" side is too tsundere stubborn to do so. The cook then tells her that he's glad to have her as a fiance, which makes Pudding cry. The woman then tells Sanji that she has a last wish to make of him, as she removes his cigarette.....

-In the mirror world, we finally learn the conclusion of the epic battle: Katakuri's last strike missed, but Luffy's has connected! Beaten and exhausted, both combatants end up passing out. A short while later though, Luffy regains consciousness and comes across Katakuri, who's also awake. The commander asks him if he intends to return one day to defeat Big Mom. The young pirate responds that of course he will, as he's the man who will one day become Pirate King! Kata comments that the rubber man is certainly looking far into the future, before passing out once more. Interestingly, he was about to fall face-down, but instead he falls on his back, leaving his face exposed. Nonetheless, Luffy uses his hat (the one he got from Capone, not his straw hat) to cover the man's face before making his exit....

-An unexpected ally, who has captured Brulee, is waiting for Luffy. The mystery person calls himself "Nazomuzu", but it's clearly Pekoms in disguise, a fact that even Luffy figures out. The appointed time for our hero to reunite with his friends has arrived, and the crowd of enemies are still awaiting him outside the mirror....!!!!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by marvelB; 2018-03-02 at 23:26.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-01, 08:23   Link #2
Blackbeard D. Kuma
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
So it's finally happened. What a battle this has been. I especially like that Luffy won with no help whatsoever. A true, legitimate victory. At this point, no one can take him lightly anymore. If you can beat the right-hand of a yonkou, then you are serious business.

This arc is coming to an end. I look forward to seeing the resolution soon enough.

Thanks as always for the spoiler summary, marvelB .
__________________
Speed is weight. Have you ever been kicked at the speed of light?
Blackbeard D. Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-01, 08:31   Link #3
SilverGlavenus
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Somewhere in this Universe
^What I like more is the fact that Luffy uses his hat to cover Katakuri's face. A very nice gesture. Luffy definitely earned Katakuri's respect.
SilverGlavenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-01, 09:04   Link #4
necrolyte
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2015
Age: 27
I am waiting to read the chapter first before commenting more but judging from the spoiler I also like how the fight ended. Also I am puzzled how noone is mentioning that Sanji actually got kiss from Pudding or atleast this is what I think happened between them after reading the spoiler
necrolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-01, 11:40   Link #5
Hoodspirit
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
I hope it's not something like kissing him and then remove his memories of herself to go the decoy-sacrifice route. Or so that he can easily move on because she thinks she isn't worth it.
My poor heart aches already just from imagening the sadness.
__________________
'Let's not make the mistake to doubt the mind or good will of every man with a different opinion.'
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-01, 11:47   Link #6
Rainbowman
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 1431 Highland Drive
I love how this chapter is progressive.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-01, 12:34   Link #7
necrolyte
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2015
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodspirit View Post
I hope it's not something like kissing him and then remove his memories of herself to go the decoy-sacrifice route. Or so that he can easily move on because she thinks she isn't worth it.
My poor heart aches already just from imagening the sadness.
I am with you, I really hope that's not the case cuz this is the worst/most convenient/easiest trope authors can use.
necrolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-01, 12:37   Link #8
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 31
Nice way to end to the battle. They both earned each other's respect. I hope we'll see Katakuri again in a cover story!

If even Luffy managed to figure out who he is, Pekoms' disguise must be atrocious. Why is he even trying to hide his identity from Luffy? We all knew he was alive (to the point nobody bothered commenting about his return), but having him come back in a comical fashion feels weird.
__________________
Rize and Kaneki
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-01, 15:48   Link #9
Kaz_
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Those idiots out there most likely gonna get insta-KO'd by a conq haki blast. Seeing Luffy standing victorious against Kata will TERRORIZE the cannon fodder, make lieutenants doubt and maybe shock Big Mom herself. A perfect situation to overwhelm weaklings and force Big Mom take them for serious.

Just like World Government witnessing Lucci's defeat, this will be some huge blow to them. However, Pekoms sudden appearence is most likely a sign that they will get carried once again.
Kaz_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-02, 01:43   Link #10
itachi-san314
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
So Cracker > Dogtooth?

Definitely didn't expect Luffy to win out right like that. I do like the hat gesture though. That is a pretty fitting ending. The whole chapter and the structure of it was all very cool.

Not sure what the fight outcome means for Luffy's future with the BM pirates. There is definitely a lot of respect there now between these two at least. That coupled with BM's love for Sanji's cooking still makes some kind of an alliance seem likely to me. I don't think beating Dogtooth hurts it anyway. It actually might help, at least in the respect aspect of it.
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-02, 07:42   Link #11
Trax
Rock beats scissors
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Seems like a good way to resolve this fight - it was basically a tie, but Luffy recovered faster. Nice gesture with the hat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
-An unexpected ally, who has captured Brulee, is waiting for Luffy. The mystery person calls himself "Nazomuzu", but it's clearly Pekoms in disguise, a fact that even Luffy figures out.
Oh right! Usually Luffy is easily fooled by even the most basic of disguises.

Not sure how Luffy is going to get out of the ambush, maybe Sanji is going to grab him and run with his insane speed? I'm assuming that Pekoms will stay inside with Brulee, but who knows.

Now is Big Mom ever going to eat that cake? I want to see the reaction/aftermath of that.

Last edited by Trax; 2018-03-02 at 09:00.
Trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-02, 08:18   Link #12
Hoodspirit
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
I was very disappointed with Sanji this chapter. He failed twice at recognising the true feelings of a woman in one chapter. First with 'shut up' - 'right we're enemies' and the second time with 'oh I didn't want to make fun of you'.
All the series he was portrayed at getting the real feelings right and now this.
__________________
'Let's not make the mistake to doubt the mind or good will of every man with a different opinion.'
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-02, 10:36   Link #13
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
so what was the "king cobra" move? it wasn't really clear to me...

for some reason this fight's ending wasn't satisfying to me... it wasn't as clear cut like for example the doflamingo fight... it feels like luffy just got stronger in the middle of the battle too fast? suddenly able to see the future like Katakuri...
__________________

Last edited by khoa1708; 2018-03-02 at 15:19.
khoa1708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-02, 10:43   Link #14
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Xanadu
Age: 26
there is no way that Sanji is still alive if it is really a kiss
but if Sanji's memories got deleted, I'll be pretty sad

next time they met would be a very painful arc

we hyped this arc since beginning because we thought Luffy would finally take down a yonko
seems like StrawHat would only retreat this time
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-02, 12:51   Link #15
ZGoten
Custom User Title
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Germany
Age: 28
Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
I have to admit I'm not a fan of this chapter. I don't like Luffy defeating a better fighter simply because he has 20 times his opponent's levels of endurance for some inexplicable reason. With all the damage Luffy had taken for chapters upon chapters, and with Katakuri taking next to no blow except his own, that final trade should not have had Luffy come out ahead of this. It almost makes Katakuri look like a glass cannon in comparison. On paper and by points Katakuri would have won by a landslide prior to the final exchange.
__________________
Truth is elusive to those who refuse to see with both eyes.
ZGoten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-02, 14:00   Link #16
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGoten View Post
I have to admit I'm not a fan of this chapter. I don't like Luffy defeating a better fighter simply because he has 20 times his opponent's levels of endurance for some inexplicable reason. With all the damage Luffy had taken for chapters upon chapters, and with Katakuri taking next to no blow except his own, that final trade should not have had Luffy come out ahead of this. It almost makes Katakuri look like a glass cannon in comparison. On paper and by points Katakuri would have won by a landslide prior to the final exchange.
Haven't Luffy's boss battles often been like that though? It's not that different from his fights against Eneru, Crocodile, or Lucci to name a few. Although it's true that nobody dominated him as hard as Katakuri, the pattern is still roughly the same. He goes up against opponents that are out of his league and miraculously manages to defeat them after taking a gigantic beating. Pretty much shounen 101. That said, maybe Oda made the gap between Luffy and his opponent too big this time, hence all the criticism.

About Katakuri being a "glass canon", it makes sense if you think about it. He always dodges his opponents' attacks, so he isn't used to getting hit and has therefore build no endurance.
__________________
Rize and Kaneki
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-02, 14:42   Link #17
Slayerx
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Nice way to end to the battle. They both earned each other's respect. I hope we'll see Katakuri again in a cover story!

If even Luffy managed to figure out who he is, Pekoms' disguise must be atrocious. Why is he even trying to hide his identity from Luffy? We all knew he was alive (to the point nobody bothered commenting about his return), but having him come back in a comical fashion feels weird.
He's hiding his identity from Big Mom's family. As much as Pekoms is grateful to Luffy and is attached to Pedro, he still considers himself loyal to Big Mom. Helping Luffy out at a time like this would be considered treason, but he feels he's gotta do it for Pedro's sake
__________________
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-02, 16:25   Link #18
itachi-san314
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trax View Post
Oh right! Usually Luffy is easily fooled by even the most basic of disguises.
I think you guys are thinking of Chopper. He was completely fooled by the fake SHs during the Sabody reunion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa1708 View Post
for some reason this fight's ending wasn't satisfying to me... it wasn't as clear cut like for example the doflamingo fight... it feels like luffy just got stronger in the middle of the battle too fast? suddenly able to see the future like Katakuri...
I agree. It was certainly lackluster compared to the Mingo fight. In retrospect it seems Mingo was stronger than Dogtooth which I didn't expect. Kanon's explanation for why Dogtooth isn't too durable is a pretty good one though. While Dogtooth was much stronger, he's just not used to being hit like Luffy is.
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-02, 16:51   Link #19
Twi
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
The fact that he stabbed himself didn't help.
__________________
https://wandsandvials.wordpress.com/2017/12/27/an-alchemist-sets-out-1-01/
Twi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-02, 19:51   Link #20
Tuor
Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bellevue, WA
Age: 49
Dogtooth is... er... was much stronger than Luffy mainly in one category: perception haki. Without that, it was pretty likely he was going to have a hard time beating him. Luffy endured, which has always been one of his strengths, until he could close the gap enough that he could force Dogtooth into an even fight, which is not the sort of fight that Dogtooth specializes in, but *is* something Luffy excels at.

Also, I'm pretty sure that Pudding is going to do something Drastic once Luffy appears, both as a way of apology and to save the man she loves. She'll probably survive it, but most likely it will involve the end of her relationship with Sanji. Oda has commented that he doesn't like doing romance, IIRC, so this would be a way of snip that away -- if I had one criticism of Oda, it would be on this very topic, but it's not like this is something new from him, and everything else he does is so excellent I usually overlook it. This time, though, if it happens like I'm speculating, it will be a pretty bitter pill to swallow.
Tuor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.