AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2017-10-15, 11:15   Link #81
Tenzen12

It's. not that bad. I mean there is nothing wrong with eating defeated enemies, especially for proud warrior race as Klingons. It certainly doesn't do them any disservice.

As for Discovery itself it does follow classic Star Trek trends that promote understanding over violence. I wasn't exactly enthusiastic about double episode pilot, but it did get on right track afterwards.
Old 2017-10-15, 11:41   Link #82
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
It's. not that bad. I mean there is nothing wrong with eating defeated enemies, especially for proud warrior race as Klingons. It certainly doesn't do them any disservice.

As for Discovery itself it does follow classic Star Trek trends that promote understanding over violence. I wasn't exactly enthusiastic about double episode pilot, but it did get on right track afterwards.
If you listen to the video that I posted, it doesn't seem to be on the right track. And the problem is not only about Klingons eating enemies either. The writing for the plot and characters are all over the place for such a short series (certainly can't be compared to TOS or TNG in episode-numbers).
Old 2017-10-15, 13:57   Link #83
Tenzen12

I listened video and most "issues" aren plainly silly. Crew of Discovery got two episodes so far, show itself just started introduce them. Of course they are underdeveloped. Complaining about that just showing bias.

Klingons eating people? Sure why not? Originally Klingons weren't even all that honourable in first place. They weren't much more than evil cartoonish antagonists that got in a way of Jim's blue alien gal flirting. They got more proper spotlight later,much later. Either way there is no problem with how they are featured here. It's not like we knew every last thing about their culture, even if some people would like think so.
Old 2017-10-15, 16:12   Link #84
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Since they were starving, eating the defeated enemy that is not your own species is likely acceptable. Survival is key after all.

The actual problem is that the ship was still there after six months without any issue with either the Klingon Empire or the Federation. That is a oddity that is difficult to explain.
Old 2017-10-15, 20:34   Link #85
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
The actual problem is that the ship was still there after six months without any issue with either the Klingon Empire or the Federation. That is a oddity that is difficult to explain.
Agreed. That's just as bad (if not worse) than the Nero plot hole in ST-2009.

Quote:
I listened video and most "issues" aren plainly silly.
Plot problems, characters being badly written, and imitating (if not plagiarizing) elements from Dune are not silly issues IMO, especially for a short series (15-or-so episodes) compared to other ST series with 50+ eps. Why couldn't they afford better writing for such few episodes?
Old 2017-10-16, 11:20   Link #86
Tenzen12

It's silly because it is not that case. Characters are not badly written (yet), it didn't showed any plot problems (yet). As for borrowing elements from dune, sure you can't really make space opera without getting elements of ST, SW or Dune. These three are pretty much same to space operas as LotR to high fantasy. Having bug filling role of guild navigator is not that big deal. If it was human mutated through gas wonderdrug then we can talk about plagiarism. This is accidental similarity at best, nice homage at "worst".
Old 2017-10-16, 17:53   Link #87
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
It's silly because it is not that case. Characters are not badly written (yet), it didn't showed any plot problems (yet). As for borrowing elements from dune, sure you can't really make space opera without getting elements of ST, SW or Dune. These three are pretty much same to space operas as LotR to high fantasy. Having bug filling role of guild navigator is not that big deal. If it was human mutated through gas wonderdrug then we can talk about plagiarism. This is accidental similarity at best, nice homage at "worst".
Many people already saw the problematic writing in STD pilot episodes especially that Michael whatever character. If everything are just dandy, there wouldn't be so much ST fans complaining, there wouldn't be so many YT videos expressing how it sucks and angry comments on various forums. It also claims to be Prime yet it destroy the Prime continuity unless they're gonna have a DEM that somehow will wipe every "Prime inconsistencies" in the end. But I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one, huh?
Old 2017-10-16, 18:22   Link #88
Tenzen12

Pilot episodes weren't exactly great or even "Startrekish" alright I myself said that like two pages ago, but that's because real deal started by episode 3. Until then there isn't even eponymous ship involved.

As for people complaining, well they always do just look on Re:Creators or IBO of recent. But yes I a willing stop here with agree to disagree clause. Until next bash post, that is.

That said if you were to complain about Klingon ward keeping human sex slave, then we would finally get on ground of reasonable arguments, that certainly was bad move...
Old 2017-10-24, 01:49   Link #89
AnimeFan188

CBS has renewed Star Trek: Discovery for a second season:

"The USS Discovery will continue to explore the galaxy. CBS announced this morning
that it has renewed the latest iteration of the Star Trek franchise for a second season.

CBS noted that the show has been successful at bringing in new subscribers to its
streaming service All Access, and has earned acclaim from fans and critics. Following the
season’s premiere, CBS announced that sign-ups for the service had reached their
highest level to date. CBS did not announce an episode count for season 2, nor when it
would begin airing."

See:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/23/...ccess-season-2
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-24, 03:32   Link #90
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I wonder if they'll permanently break the Spore Drive before then. They mentioned the war with the Klingons would probably be over by the second season, but they would explore the aftermath of war.
Old 2018-01-10, 16:52   Link #91
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Spoiler for ep10:
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-10, 17:55   Link #92
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Sometimes the smartest people can be so dumb.

I still have problems with this series (mostly the Klingons), but at the same time I am curious where they are going to go with this. Most Star Trek series have taken three seasons to get really going...aside from the original which has the benefit of having a lot of good episodes in the first season. And even that didn't making in back then since it was cancelled by the end of its third season, with a threat of it being cancelled at the end of its second season.
Old 2018-01-11, 21:06   Link #93
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Spoiler for ep10:
When the writers want you to be a stupid character...things just turn out like that .
Old 2018-02-12, 16:36   Link #94
sunset
Twilight Impersonator

Was that one of those mind control creatures from Ceti Alpha V being barbecued at the the Orion district in Qo'nos?

But more important...

Spoiler:
sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-12, 17:32   Link #95
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Probably because eating it live would not be a good idea.

There will be a lot of talk about the last minute or two of the show until the next season starts.
Old 2018-02-12, 18:16   Link #96
sunset
Twilight Impersonator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Probably because eating it live would not be a good idea.
Don't knock it til you've tried it, it's as tasty as gormagander steak.
sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-12, 20:09   Link #97
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

More likely to try to mind control you if its live.
Old 2018-03-10, 04:35   Link #98
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

I know it's old by now, but I think this season review fits here:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2018-04-15, 17:37   Link #99
AnimeFan188

Star Trek: Discovery's Version of the Enterprise Had to
Be Modified for Legal Reasons:

"The finale of Star Trek: Discovery gave us a short glimpse at the most legendary ship in
the entire Starfleet: the Enterprise, ten years before the original Star Trek television
show. Befitting the different visual style of Discovery, the ship looks a little different than
we remembered, but that apparently wasn’t just for creative reasons."

See:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/star-trek-di...-to-1825276401
Old 2018-05-20, 00:11   Link #100
AnimeFan188

A dozen years after near-death, Star Trek’s future
may be stronger than ever:

"Discovery is moving ahead under full impulse power. CBS renewed the show for a
second season before its first had wrapped, scripts have already been written, and
production began earlier this month. There’s no premiere date set yet, and producer
Alex Kurtzman has said that we may not see the second season until the first half of

Even if there’s a wait, we fans can rest assured knowing a little more about what the
second season of Discovery has in store for us than we do with the fourth “Kelvin”
film. That surprise cameo at the end of the season finale is likely to stick around for at
least a couple of episodes. We have new casting announcements for the second
season—including Hell on Wheels’ Anson Mount as the captain of said cameo, among
others. A production teaser released this week show tantalizing shots of new uniforms
and sets. Showrunners have stated that the second season will not feature war as a
backdrop, and that episodes may feel like more familiar Trek territory than the stories
told in the first season. So as is my hope with the new movies, I would like the second
season to feature more exploration and more “real” science fiction stories. I enjoy a
wartime story arc as much as the next Trekkie, but eventually you have to get back to
boldly going and all that.

And if a second season of Discovery and two more movies at Paramount weren't
enough to whet your Trek appetite, the future of the franchise had potential major
updates just this week. Wrath of Khan director Nick Meyer stated during an event at
UC Irvine on May 16 that he was working on a trilogy of movies for CBS All Access,
although forward momentum was on hold while CBS and Paramount work out their
legal situation. (I think I speak for Trekkies everywhere when I beg the two
companies to work out their differences so those films see the light of day!)

For now, though, we at least have those confirmed films and another season of
Discovery. Though these latest Trek projects have clearly grown into distinct
entities—a recasted, high-budget journey into early Trek characters versus a small
(choose your own) screen affair with new everything and a distinctly post-Roddenbery
vision—there is a common theme between them early on.

Neither JJ Abrams’ films nor Discovery are the same sort of Star Trek with which most
of us grew up."

See:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/...ger-than-ever/

Tags
science fiction, star trek