AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

Old 2007-05-14, 21:40   Link #741
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Of course, we also have Luke Skywalker... who looked 19, was supposed to be 16ish, and acted like he was 9
Old 2007-05-14, 22:10   Link #742
Takeo
Jetsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
They can invent any age they like... I see what I see and what I hear and 14 doesn't even fit easily for Simon much less Yoko, though I'm willing to allow for early mental maturity in such a rough environment.

I'd be willing to call Simon, say, 2-3 years younger than the other two but Yoko and Simon I'd put at *roughly* the same age. And every move they make, the way they act, and the things they say put them in the 17-20ish bracket easily using modern standards (allowing for rough environment).
"They" would be whomever held that conference and announced the show; that article was just reporting what was announced by the look of it. I too pictured Simon 2-3 years younger than Kamina and Yoko and was just surprised to see their ages mentioned since the gainax site doesn't (though I don't see modern standards applying for a fictitious (futuristic?) world).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Th
Hint: 7 hints Yoko is older than Simon, so it's pretty obvious the ages in that website aren't really accurate. And I was willing to be Kamina was 17 before I watched that particular conversation at the end of that episode which added a lot of depth to his character.
I haven't seen the sub for episode 7 yet. so I don't know what the hint you're refering to is. Again, though, looking through it seems like the site was simply reporting what was announced. I just found it interesting to see their ages stated somewhere...
Old 2007-05-15, 00:55   Link #743
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye.. it really doesn't "matter" since we're dealing with such an alien setting (environment, lifespans, etc) that all we can do is approximate ages to people of our own cultures based on their physicality and emotional behavior. Then there are always the outliers: my younger son is 16 and often acts more mature than some of the 30-somethings my wife works with. I could totally see him rising to a life-or-death occasion like the people in this show deal with.
Old 2007-05-15, 05:01   Link #744
SquirrelLuvsPnut
Kill on sight

I'm trying to figure out if Kamina and Viral are matched in age or if one's older then the other. This age guessing is harder then it seems.
SquirrelLuvsPnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-15, 05:16   Link #745
SquirrelLuvsPnut
Kill on sight

These two scans could have Viral's age listed, but it's in mJapanese, so who knows?
http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...fiyuitduhg.jpg

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...rrent=ngfx.jpg
SquirrelLuvsPnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-15, 10:05   Link #746
prince leon
red knight

Hmm. To me, Viral seems slightly older than Kamina for some reason.
Old 2007-05-15, 10:06   Link #747
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince leon View Post
Hmm. To me, Viral seems slightly older than Kamina for some reason.
Viral is a beastman, so its un-clear if the age status is the same as humans.
Old 2007-05-15, 10:10   Link #748
prince leon
red knight

Yeah I thought about that as well. That means he could be at least a few decades older or more.
Old 2007-05-16, 18:12   Link #749
finalfantasyfanatic
I have arrived on time!

I'm just curious what happened to Kamina fansubs, they haven't released anything in a little while, does anyone know how far along they are on ep6?
finalfantasyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-18, 09:55   Link #750
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Well both Simon and Yoko are 14 year old. As far as it seems. I find it bit weird as Yoko doesnt look as 14 year old at all. I wonder if that means that there IS some possibility of relatanship between them instead of Yoko and Kamina (which I dislike).

But to tell the truth I am not really impressed with this anime. Though character designs are rather sexy and well animated their personalities seem bit too plain and boring. Not tomention that relationship between them seems just as boring and plain. No match for Evangelion, indeed, yet you can watch it if you don't have anything better to do.(Though frankly I think there are more series much more worthy to look at before this, though its pretty ok for an eye-candy).
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-18, 10:36   Link #751
quina

Send a message via MSN to quina
Quote:
Well both Simon and Yoko are 14 year old. As far as it seems. I find it bit weird as Yoko doesnt look as 14 year old at all. I wonder if that means that there IS some possibility of relatanship between them instead of Yoko and Kamina (which I dislike).
character page on official Gainix web mentioned Yoko being the same age as Shimon, however she is treating Shimon as a kid :\.
Anyhow, from the new poster release I am pretty sure its Shimon x Nia. Shimon x Yoko is down the drain regardless of what will happen to Kamina.
quina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-18, 10:55   Link #752
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye, Gainax may peg Yoko and Simon at 14.... but in every way Yoko acts to be Kamina's age. I guess I basically have to call Gainax deluded on that one. If I paint a guy as elderly, white-haired, and grumpy -- and then say he's 22, he'd better either have some medical condition or I just looked silly on that one <laugh>.
Old 2007-05-18, 15:44   Link #753
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
whaa~~ yoko is 14? O.o thankgod for early puberty in women but really she acts a lot mature for her age O.o

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-18, 15:56   Link #754
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Heh, that's because I'm calling 'bullpucky' on being the same age as Simon. The girls that are Simon's age are like the ones in ep 1 in the cavern: ready for play but still obviously young (like Simon). I figure it was a number tossed up early in character design (or the Gainax crew need to get out more... ).
Old 2007-05-18, 16:24   Link #755
quina

Send a message via MSN to quina
During character design stage:
The age announced was Shimon 14, Kamina 17, Yoko 14. Nia still in progress

After the series aired:
All age are not yet announced. Only that Shimon and Yoko are around the same age.

Japanese Wiki's claim 14 y/o was taken from before the series is aired (design stage). Nia's age probably be the same as Shimon. They might have decide to shift stuffs around, but doesn't really matter to me anyway.
quina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-18, 16:32   Link #756
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

yeah.... I've just learned to take wikis, preproduction stuff, and even interviews with a liberal tossing of salt. You're right in that it really doesn't affect the enjoyment of the show. What we've got are a core group of 3 people, two of whom are more experienced and/or gungho - and a third who is still working out what being a grownup means. And therein lies the story (in the vein of Han, Leia, and Luke --- though I actually think Kamina, Yoko, and Simon are superior designs in many respects).
Old 2007-05-18, 16:33   Link #757
Kai1
watashi wa L desu~

This series is pretty good. Coming from someone who watches all kinds of genre but absolutely hates mecha.
Kai1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-18, 17:06   Link #758
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
yeah.... I've just learned to take wikis, preproduction stuff, and even interviews with a liberal tossing of salt. You're right in that it really doesn't affect the enjoyment of the show. What we've got are a core group of 3 people, two of whom are more experienced and/or gungho - and a third who is still working out what being a grownup means. And therein lies the story (in the vein of Han, Leia, and Luke --- though I actually think Kamina, Yoko, and Simon are superior designs in many respects).
That's a good analogy. It also is a setup for Kamina (Hans) and Simon (Luke) just like in Star Wars if they do take that route.

No way that's a 14 yo female design. Yoko is too endowed for being in that type of an environment and scantily clad also. Also, some groups may come down on them like a ton of bricks if that is Yoko's real age like the Japanese PTA. Remember this airs on Sunday morning when little kids are up.
Old 2007-05-18, 18:04   Link #759
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
I figure it was a number tossed up early in character design (or the Gainax crew need to get out more... ).
im seriously considering thinking that its the latter or it could just be a gag (which Gainax seems to be quite famous for) to make the fans lust for something that isnt deemed legal yoko the forbidden fruit?

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-18, 22:04   Link #760
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

When the issue of Yoko and Simon’s ages came up a couple of weeks ago, I also thought about the girls who taunted Simon during Episode 1. They looked and acted around his age. While I find Kamina at 17 to be less than credible, Yoko as a 14 year old just seems incredible. We have to consider the source, and I’m not talking about wikis.

In terms of merchandising, it’s probably a good idea if kids in their early and mid-teens think the main characters are around their age. Kids like characters their age and a little older. I get the feeling Gainax and their sponsors want to expand beyond the otaku market and sell lots and lots of toy robots. Kids are important to this show. So kids get to think the hot female lead is 14, and old guys get to say stuff like, “yeah, right, and I’m the King of France” while watching Yoko bounce guilt free.

Or Gainax is just blowing smoke up our butts. An art history professor once told me that while what an artist says is important, sometimes you have to believe what you see rather than what he or she says.
Maids! Maids! Maids! is offline   Reply With Quote