AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2011-10-02, 19:51   Link #1
Kudryavka

Colored Names

Wouodn't it be cute if mods, admins, and members of different social groups could have differently colored names?
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 20:22   Link #2
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Er, admins/mods and members of certain special groups already have special tags/titles (look under my user title). Admins and mods also get their username in bold and afaik admins also get bold italic.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 21:29   Link #3
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
Er, admins/mods and members of certain special groups already have special tags/titles (look under my user title). Admins and mods also get their username in bold and afaik admins also get bold italic.
I know about that, it's what inspired me. I was like, it would be more noticable and awesome if you guys had colors!

My suggestion is totally not necessary at all, I just think it would be cute. :3
Old 2011-10-02, 23:02   Link #4
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
I know about that, it's what inspired me. I was like, it would be more noticable and awesome if you guys had colors!

My suggestion is totally not necessary at all, I just think it would be cute. :3
It would be more noticeable on the active users lists with different colors for certain things, but with things under their name in threads and posts makes me think it's not needed.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-03, 01:22   Link #5
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Well, I can't say I wouldn't be surprised if a purely eye-candy function were added when multiple proposals on the technical side have likely been denied. It would be very weird, you know?
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-03, 07:21   Link #6
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

The "Currently Active Users" area has style information ("classes" in CSS speak) added to it to allow users to customize the appearance, with client style overrides (often provided by extensions, such as Stylish for FireFox).

Specifically the classes are:
  • asname -- applied to all names
  • asbuddy -- applied to the name of anyone on your contacts list
  • asinvisible -- applied to invisible users, not that you'll ever see one unless you're a member of staff or you're looking at your own name and you happen to use that mode yourself.
Most of the styles (see "Style Chooser" combo box in the bottom right of the page) don't do anything with these attributes, with the exception of the "Contacts Highlighted".

You could use something like Stylish to give staff names different colours, if you really wanted, but we're unlikely to do it for you . We could have done similar with staff names, but to be honest we already have enough identifying marks (badges below names, and the formatting GHDpro mentioned) and historically we've preferred to play down the separation between staff and regular users.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-03, 15:36   Link #7
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
Wouodn't it be cute if mods, admins, and members of different social groups could have differently colored names?
Would only be interesting to color people who have gone inactive (ie. haven't been here in 3 weeks or something), since it would kind of tell you if the person you're quoting will even get it, or if the thread you're viewing is even active or fresh (ie. not necro'ed).

ps. Contacts Highlighted is awesome!
Old 2011-10-03, 20:26   Link #8
CMSensei
Formerly -> CMHerrera
*Graphic Designer

I think it would be cool, if your active a lot you can get a pretty color, or if your a "artist" or "graphic Designer" etc, you get a different color and if you have more then one you can just mixed the two your in.

CM-san's Mystical Creations

"The one who can win
against me, is me!"

- Daiki Aomine
CMSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-03, 23:44   Link #9
Suomi
Kaiba

I think it'd be fun but there's not really a constructive or valuable point to it that I see. Other than fun
Old 2011-10-04, 05:35   Link #10
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

^ Indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHerrera View Post
I think it would be cool, if your active a lot you can get a pretty color,
No actually I was thinking of it working backwards, and only using one color (instantly resetting when you're active again), and...

Quote:
or if your a "artist" or "graphic Designer" etc, you get a different color and if you have more then one you can just mixed the two your in.
...for once, I have no idea how this would even work.
Old 2011-10-04, 08:07   Link #11
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

if there color for Admin/Mod its will be fine but for all users it will be annoying
Old 2011-10-04, 12:52   Link #12
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

I'm against the coloring of moderators' names. They already have the bold text and the pretty labels below their names, and as NightWish said it's wise to downplay the aesthetic difference between mods and regular users. I remember signing up to an internet forum where mods not only had shiny, colorful names, they also had a larger size limit for avatars and signatures. Admins and mods were instantly recognizable whenever they posted with their monstrous 200*200 pixel avatars. It just made me really jealous at the time and even made me wish I was a mod just so I could show off a big avatar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Would only be interesting to color people who have gone inactive (ie. haven't been here in 3 weeks or something), since it would kind of tell you if the person you're quoting will even get it, or if the thread you're viewing is even active or fresh (ie. not necro'ed).

ps. Contacts Highlighted is awesome!
This is a neat idea. An alternative to giving a color to inactive users would be shrinking the font size used for their names. Although 3 weeks is way too soon. Give it a few months at the least.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 18:30   Link #13
CMSensei
Formerly -> CMHerrera
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
...for once, I have no idea how this would even work.
I guess we could always vote on the color XD or keep it simple with red blue yellow.

CM-san's Mystical Creations

"The one who can win
against me, is me!"

- Daiki Aomine
CMSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-05, 02:22   Link #14
JRendell
Manga Addict

I've been on/seen other forums where they've had this and all it seems to do is derail the purpose of the forum. Users start to worry more about what colour their name is in rather than what they are actually posting.

The avatar/sig combo is plenty enough customization in my eyes.
JRendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-05, 08:28   Link #15
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Animesuki already has things like "Site Staff" as way to identify people.
I think the way to differentiate admins / mods / members on AS is good enough as it is, just my opinion.

Well, I do admit that our forum has different colored name (Admin = green, Member = orange) aside from identifiers under usernames. It's mostly because the forum owner is a girl, and she likes it that way.

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2011-10-05 at 09:06.
Liddo-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-05, 09:20   Link #16
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I think what Komari really wanted was a little visible recognition for social group governors on the forum. Since the way I read the suggestion that part really sticks out on it's own (stealth suggestion?). It's kind of easier to find groups by finding members of the group, then actually searching for the group itself. Marking the governors of reasonably populated groups would be the simplest implementation of that concep.

That could be cool, though instead of a color it would work just as well as a group like "Social" or whatever, that you get awarded next to your name if you have a group with X amounts of members in it. Besides the usual group you might choose I mean, sort of like how moderator/site staff works.

Social groups could use some work in general. I understand the idea is "promote discussion outside of groups" but a lot of the missing stuff isn't even discussion related per se, it's just really inconvenient for non-discussion stuff and just sharing group things, like basic list functionality. It's not like social groups even stand a snowballs chance in hell to take over anything the main forums covers anyway; particularly with how hard they are to even locate or access. The only thing they are really good for is discussion in an isolated group.

I wish them along with pm's and everything just had the same features all across the board, so everything would be more intuitive to use.

Quote:
I guess we could always vote on the color XD or keep it simple with red blue yellow.
Yellow? The most horrible color for reading in the entire universe?

Yellow is so bad, even when you got good contrast it still hurts your eyes reading it.
Old 2011-10-08, 22:59   Link #17
Kudryavka

Never mind, now I think colors for everyone would be better! It'd be sooo cute, like colors for diff rankings? And no yellow, never.
Old 2011-10-09, 02:11   Link #18
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

What rankings?
Old 2011-10-09, 02:27   Link #19
Kudryavka

Subgroups. Or maybe we could add rankings... !

j/k, who wants rankings on an anime forum, lol.