AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hyouka

Notices

View Poll Results: Hyouka - Episode 20 Rating
Perfect 10 17 28.81%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 20 33.90%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 27.12%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 8.47%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.69%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-09-02, 00:05   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Hyouka - Episode 20 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Hyouka, Episode 20.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2012-09-02, 12:50   Link #2
rulfo

Damn... Oreki is pretty stylish with that white coat.

Also goes to show why Satoshi is Oreki's friend. They really have the same wavelength.
Old 2012-09-02, 13:06   Link #3
margafred
ლ(́◉◞౪◟ ◉ ლ )

Spoiler for Episode 20 of Hyouka:

Last edited by margafred; 2012-09-02 at 13:23.
Old 2012-09-02, 18:32   Link #4
Pen3

I enjoyed how Oreki was fascinated in a Miko and she toyed with him a bit. Rich American kids act totally different and i am guessing it is lack of culture.

Last edited by Pen3; 2012-09-02 at 19:54.
Old 2012-09-02, 18:34   Link #5
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat

It was nice to see Oreki so totally out of his element.
Old 2012-09-02, 20:12   Link #6
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I have to say good thinking Chitanda. Just in case Houtarou was considering not going, made sure to mention she'd be there in a kimono. Got to set the lure .

Have to say I love the contrast. Chitanda spends the day dealing with relatives and Houtarou lived underneath his table .

Somehow it just makes sense that Houtarou gets misfortune while Chitanda gets great blessing. Her blessings are going to be his misfotrune this year . Get ready for another year of curiosity!

Love that all of Houtarou's escape plans had a visual and that 3 of them directly had them busting up the shed . I guess it was a bit much though to hope that Mayaka could read into them being in trouble from a lost item....

Thank you Satoshi. The hero of the day .

Though good/bad that they found a string to tie around the purse . Had a very interesting option left there .
Old 2012-09-02, 20:15   Link #7
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Images
tepero~
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
       /
      / \|
    /

Last edited by winhlp32; 2012-09-02 at 20:45.
Old 2012-09-02, 20:22   Link #8
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Though good/bad that they found a string to tie around the purse . Had a very interesting option left there .
I know it's all mostly innocent, but I found it funny that Chitanda would suggest such a thing when I combine it with the episode way back at the hot springs where she offhandedly lamented that it wasn't a traditional mixed bath. There's an ease with which she processes the idea of winding up in various states of undress around Hotarou that is clearly intended to provoke the shippers. Though if they were worried about what people would think of them being trapped together, being found with parts of Chitanda's kimono coming off seems... counterproductive.

For a mere database, Satoshi connects the dots nicely at the end there. Maybe there's more to him than he gives himself credit for.
Old 2012-09-02, 20:33   Link #9
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post
I know it's all mostly innocent, but I found it funny that Chitanda would suggest such a thing when I combine it with the episode way back at the hot springs where she offhandedly lamented that it wasn't a traditional mixed bath. There's an ease with which she processes the idea of winding up in various states of undress around Hotarou that is clearly intended to provoke the shippers. Though if they were worried about what people would think of them being trapped together, being found with parts of Chitanda's kimono coming off seems... counterproductive.

For a mere database, Satoshi connects the dots nicely at the end there. Maybe there's more to him than he gives himself credit for.
Clearly it'll be fine if Mayaka or Satoshi sees them in that position....with Chitanda's kimono coming off...Yeah, I suppose that's kind of counter productive . I do find it funny though that she suggests it. Not sure how to interpret her reaction when he shoots down the idea upon confirming what would happen .

I do love the fun they are having with these two. But yeah Houtarou is going to have to get used to the 'world' Chitanda is from since he'll be joining in sooner or later .
Old 2012-09-02, 20:57   Link #10
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Quote:
I do love the fun they are having with these two. But yeah Houtarou is going to have to get used to the 'world' Chitanda is from since he'll be joining in sooner or later .
I really appreciate that they're showing how much progress he's making, but even then, they're still worlds apart as evidenced by Hotarou's home life, which seems largely unaffected by her influence.
Old 2012-09-02, 21:09   Link #11
Senshigeia

Loved this episode, epic!!
Chitanda and Oreki are getting so close!

10/10

Sig credit to Bila / Avatar credit to SweetHoney

Check out my anime and manga lists!
Old 2012-09-02, 22:05   Link #12
Dr. Casey

I thought it was pretty curious that Chitanda said that they couldn't call out for help, because the people in charge of the shrine 'recognize' her. Shouldn't that be a point in her favor, ie the shrine priests and mikos would go "I'm sure Chitanda wouldn't do anything lewd with that Oreki boy, she's a pure innocent angel!"? Or maybe it means that Chitanda hooks up with random guys all the time, and that if anyone caught her alone with Oreki, they would assume she was just babymaking like usual? Kini narimasu.

Good episode though, I've been loving this dating arc. Oreki's character development has been great to watch, I guess he just needed some real friendships and relationships because he really has blossomed into a friendly and charming guy.

I also think the series might be trying to keep the time the story takes place ambiguous, seeing as how on Satoshi's cell phone, the year was obscured by a convenient flare of light. I guess 2001 would be the most logical assumption given that that's when the novels were written, but there's some details that don't quite match up with the story-takes-place-in-2001 timeline (Such as the fact that anyone and everyone has a cell phone, they were certainly gaining steam in 2001 but I don't remember them being quite that ubiquitous)... I'll probably just think of the story as taking place in the present day and of this episode covering New Year's Day 2013, because I prefer the 2010s to the 2000s (2007-2009 was good, otherwise don't care much for the decade).
Old 2012-09-02, 22:07   Link #13
Silvance
Storm Vanguard
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by winhlp32 View Post
Images
tepero~
I thought for sure he did that for real. It would've been really awkward so I'm relieved that it was just in his mind. lol.

So its already valentines day for the next episode. I'm looking forward to another progress between Oreki and Chitanda. Last but not least, this part of the preview caught my attention.

Images
ep 21 preview
Old 2012-09-02, 22:12   Link #14
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
I also think the series might be trying to keep the time the story takes place ambiguous, seeing as how on Satoshi's cell phone, the year was obscured by a convenient flare of light. I guess 2001 would be the most logical assumption given that that's when the novels were written, but there's some details that don't quite match up with the story-takes-place-in-2001 timeline (Such as the fact that anyone and everyone has a cell phone, they were certainly gaining steam in 2001 but I don't remember them being quite that ubiquitous)... I'll probably just think of the story as taking place in the present day and of this episode covering New Year's Day 2013, because I prefer the 2010s to the 2000s (2007-2009 was good, otherwise don't care much for the decade).
Your theory that it's on 2013 is most likely correct. The anime added 12 years to the original dates used in the novel during the Hyouka arc (written in 2000 I believe), so it's probable this would be January 2013 in the show.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
Old 2012-09-02, 22:18   Link #15
margafred
ლ(́◉◞౪◟ ◉ ლ )

Quote:
I guess it was a bit much though to hope that Mayaka could read into them being in trouble from a lost item....
She probably could read it, if only certain someone didn't blew off her worries with a smiling face.

Quote:
I must say that part really burst me out so bad... that face, and the way she replied back when Oreki rejected the idea flat out couldn't mean anything else!! Half of her wanted Oreki to pull the string and make good use of it (both the string, and the kimono coming off of her body).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post
I really appreciate that they're showing how much progress he's making, but even then, they're still worlds apart as evidenced by Hotarou's home life, which seems largely unaffected by her influence.
Its ok Chitanda can just grab his hand to make him move, go to his house, phone calling him, and do more outdoor activities like going onsen, beach, swimming pool or anywhere that allows Chitanda to be more bold. Keep doing that, and Oreki can forget about his keeping energy life completely.

Got to say that after almost a year, its almostly becoming a fact that Oreki can never resist or reject Chitanda... after all, rejecting her is useless..
Old 2012-09-02, 22:35   Link #16
rulfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by margafred View Post
Spoiler for Episode 20 of Hyouka:

Yeah and the worst thing is considering their track record, they won't make another season of this in the future. They don't do sequels very much only Haruhi and K-ON are the exception. Even lucky star haven't had any follow up and that's one of their best selling shows.
Old 2012-09-02, 23:08   Link #17
Pen3

If there is no sequel and going by how far the novel is. There is no chance of Oreki and Chitanda being a couple.
Old 2012-09-02, 23:42   Link #18
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
I thought it was pretty curious that Chitanda said that they couldn't call out for help, because the people in charge of the shrine 'recognize' her. Shouldn't that be a point in her favor, ie the shrine priests and mikos would go "I'm sure Chitanda wouldn't do anything lewd with that Oreki boy, she's a pure innocent angel!"? Or maybe it means that Chitanda hooks up with random guys all the time, and that if anyone caught her alone with Oreki, they would assume she was just babymaking like usual? Kini narimasu.
Well I suppose Chitanda growing up in that environment knows that people love rumors more than they love trusting someone's character . Suppose it makes sense anyways. She shows up with a guy and goes missing for a while in a shed ! In the end better to play it safe than sorry. Especially when she initially thinks he has his cellphone and can just call in some help .
Old 2012-09-03, 00:06   Link #19
Shadow5YA

That smirk Satoshi had at the end... so did he get the wrong idea after all?
Old 2012-09-03, 00:16   Link #20
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
That smirk Satoshi had at the end... so did he get the wrong idea after all?
Nah I think he just found it hilarious that right after Houtarou gets that kind of fortune he ends up getting locked in a shed .