AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2017-10-26, 09:36   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 883 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Let's get to it! Credit goes to AP's Redon and YonkouProductions for the info:

-Chapter title is "Merienda Time". Splash ministory involves Ideo and his allies destroying the ships that attacked them last chapter.

-Continuing from last time, Luffy is about to go into Gear 4 mode. However, before he can complete the transformation, Katakuri easily crushes him with his awakened ability! Soon, the rubber man is smashed underneath the walls of the mirror world (now turned into mochi). Katakuri says that because of the time he wasted fighting, he's late for his aforementioned "merienda" (snack/light meal) time. He then creates a house out of mochi, and summons a few chefs to serve him tea and snacks.

-While the commander enjoys his tea time, Luffy breaks free of the mochi trap.... by eating through it, naturally. Now fat from the candy, Luffy locates his enemy using observation haki, and bursts into the mochi house! His snack time having been interrupted, we finally catch a glimpse of Katakuri's mouth, which he usually keeps covered..... which is oddly-shaped and filled with long fangs. It's also revealed that, much like his mother, the commander is also a notorious glutton for sweets. He's angered that his mouth was exposed, and beats down the chefs who caught a glimpse of it! Luffy manages to land a kick on the commander, noticing that now he's unable to dodge it in time. It's at this moment that he finally realizes how Katakuri's ability works, and follows up with a Kong Gun! The second round between the two begins....!!!!

Last edited by marvelB; 2017-10-27 at 14:11.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-26, 17:51   Link #2
Rainbowman

Are Katakuri's fangs similar to a feline?
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-26, 23:30   Link #3
Eevsirrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post
Are Katakuri's fangs similar to a feline?
Well, he is called Dogtooth, so my guess is no.
Eevsirrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-27, 01:48   Link #4
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

To think that Katakuri has such big mouth for that..
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-27, 03:09   Link #5
Trax
Rock beats scissors

Why didn't Luffy just escape while he had the chance? That's what he tried doing before, there's no reason to continue the fight. Other than ruining Katakuri's "perfect" image.
Trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-27, 04:26   Link #6
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevsirrom View Post
I think it comes from a flower or something, so not really? His teeth are more like monstrous iron nails though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trax View Post
Why didn't Luffy just escape while he had the chance? That's what he tried doing before, there's no reason to continue the fight. Other than ruining Katakuri's "perfect" image.
Luffy is ever obstinate, this fight was his loss through and through. If he defeats katakuri now, I expect the explanation to involve a down time for the latter's superior powers.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-27, 07:28   Link #7
danielevo

Can someone explain what katakuri power that luffy just realize ??
danielevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-27, 08:42   Link #8
noktown

Really disappointed with this chapter, another Crocodile-like fight where the opponent doesn't bother to check if Luffy's actually dead...

At least Crocodile didn't hide the fact that he underestimated Luffy, yet Dogtooth claims that he didn't underestimate Luffy in the slightest and proceeds to do the opposite of that a moment later.

And thanks to his Donut addiction, it seems like he's weakened somehow, basically full plot armor mode.
noktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-27, 09:52   Link #9
Ultragunner

LMAO, dat face of Katakuri when he was chomping down doughnuts, not that I can blame him

and why is his name still "Dogtooth" in the translation? Which one is his real name, "Katakuri" or "Dogtooth"?
Or perhaps "Dogtooth" is just a nickname?

anyway, I can see why Katakuri didn't fully check on Luffy, probably because his schedule has been messed up so much that it bothered him.

but yeah, still a pretty lame way to the edge in a fight
Old 2017-10-27, 09:58   Link #10
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

did Katakuri say there are things that surpasses haki?? what is that?? it hurt luffy's fist...

and i have no idea what luffy realized about his opponent's power at the end
Old 2017-10-27, 10:57   Link #11
P_Dezz

what he realized is that from all of Katakuri's posturing, it seems like he's someone that puts a great deal of effort on his image and how he's perceived by others. once luffy broke his perceived image his focus was lost, and so was his clairvoyance. basically dogtooth is someone that has a very fragile ego.
P_Dezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-27, 12:27   Link #12
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

It looks like Luffy will win by exploiting Katakuri's weakness rather than through his own self improvement. Hopefully it'll be a bit of both. This development is just way too convenient.
Old 2017-10-27, 14:37   Link #13
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevsirrom View Post

Once again, he's named after corn starch. And while it's also true that his name comes from a flower that's also known as "dogtooth violet", even then, it's still related to starch (which the plant can be used for). The name makes sense when you consider BM's children all have snack-related names. "Dogtooth" is just MS' way of making the name sound cooler than it actually does. Funny, considering even the official translation from Viz keeps the name unaltered....

--------

Anyways, boy howdy, what a set of chompers that Katakuri has, eh? Those wierd mouth shapes actually reminds me a bit of Wapol, heh. Anyway, Luffy said he figured out how his ability works (at least, that's what the JB version says, dunno about MS), so it looks like this fight will be wrapping up soon. Apparently, our rubber hero's DF awakening may have to be put on hold for now, I guess.... we'll see.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-27, 14:54   Link #14
Theia_Loki

Welp. Nice mug there, Katakuri.

And nice job getting "mugged," so to speak, during your snack time.
Theia_Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-27, 15:11   Link #15
Clipens

The chapter has a lot of plot-holes but the cover is fantastic. The XXX GMA Alliance noted a group of longlegs fighting a group of longarms and decided to "extend the Alliance" to both the factions. Ideo and Abdullah are attacking the longleg ship and Blue Gilly and Jeet are attacking the longarm ship using a "mirror" strategy.

---

Big Mom married various longrace husbands: longleg (Smoothie), longarm (a daughter), "longneck" (two children) and "longteeth" (Katakuri). She is in good terms with the longarm tribe (Diesel), the longleg tribe (Tamago) and also the "longneck" tribe (Amande).
Why did she trap a longlimb person inside a book?
Clipens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-27, 16:37   Link #16
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by noktown View Post
Really disappointed with this chapter, another Crocodile-like fight where the opponent doesn't bother to check if Luffy's actually dead...

At least Crocodile didn't hide the fact that he underestimated Luffy, yet Dogtooth claims that he didn't underestimate Luffy in the slightest and proceeds to do the opposite of that a moment later.

And thanks to his Donut addiction, it seems like he's weakened somehow, basically full plot armor mode.
Well there's a difference between not underestimating someone and not being able to predict the unpredictable. If Katakuri thought that Luffy was not strong enough to break out of that final mochi attack then he was indeed correct and actually did hit Luffy with enough force to kill him. What Katakuri couldn't have known is that Luffy would EAT his way out. Its one of those, "its so dumb its brilliant" moves. Smart people can sometimes be outsmarted by the actions of an idiot. Not to mention that there are probably not that many people who could eat that much mochi
Old 2017-10-27, 18:25   Link #17
Theia_Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
What Katakuri couldn't have known is that Luffy would EAT his way out. Its one of those, "its so dumb its brilliant" moves. Smart people can sometimes be outsmarted by the actions of an idiot. Not to mention that there are probably not that many people who could eat that much mochi
True. As one other fictional character noted in a different scenario: "That's so moronic it just might work."

Then again, this is what was bound to happen somehow when you have food-based powers. He just had the misfortune of dealing with someone who would do that if he had to.
Theia_Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-27, 18:46   Link #18
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

I can see why people might not be too happy with this development; I was certainly one of them on my first read through. The chapter thoroughly betrayed all of my expectations as to how it would play out.

I was of the mind that the moment Luffy went Gear 4th, he would lose the fight as even by some miracle Katakuri was defeated, Luffy would be killed by the remaining forces on standby during his Haki downtime. As such, the only solution for him was to innovate with his powers or get a new or upgraded ability.

Katakuri played the perfect villain by making all the right moves by preventing Luffy from using Gear 4th and going for the kill. But the crux of this chapter is that the image of him being the perfect villain that's been built up by Oda and hyped by his family was wrong from the beginning.

And that bleeds into every wrong decision Katakuri made right after crushing Luffy. Its not even plot induced stupidity; its a character fault which only just makes it bearable.

Why didn't he go for the kill? Technically he did: he was pretty convinced that Luffy would suffocate to death and his hax Observation Haki didn't see him escaping. But he took such an indirect method of killing him because Luffy was dodging his attacks before and stressing him out as well as the delay of his daily Merienda (which is his own character flaw).

I find this all acceptable. The character flaw that was unveiled fits into themes of deception and lying being explored by Oda in this arc; its perfectly fitting for Katakuri to also have his own form of deception; just like Cracker, Pudding and Linlin herself.

Now what happens afterwards is also interesting.

On top of having a higher level of Observation Haki, Katakuri possess a high level of Armament Haki as well. I'm reminded of when Hody Jones tried to hit Luffy back in Fishman Island; he instead hit Luffy's Armament-clad arm causing him to yell in pain. The oppposite happened here with Luffy's lower level armament hitting Katakuri's higher level armament and him being left in pain.

But then Luffy managed to hit him. Which seems to imply that Katakuri can't use the higher level Observation and higher level Armament at the same time.

I still don't want this to lead to Katakuri's defeat. He's the highest active bounty in the series to date: he shouldn't lose to Luffy (who has no backup) in a straight up fight. But Luffy's used Gear 4th so this battle will end soon; not sure how I feel about that. I wanted Luffy to develop or innovate with his abilities further.
Old 2017-10-27, 20:03   Link #19
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
The second Yonkou is where he'll probably show off his skill beyond exploding boxes, Jinbei and pissing off Dogtooth.
Old 2017-10-27, 20:28   Link #20
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Luffy's fight is nice but are we close this arc's end? I mean are they escaping from Big Mama?
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote