AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-06-06, 22:11   Link #1121
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
They don't have to jump to things that happen after the main plotline, they can mix it up with stuff that happens before the plotline (such as "Sighs", "Endless Eight", "Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody", and I think "Charmed at First Sight LOVER") Mixing would be fine since at least two of those come from later novels than "Disappearance" even though they happen before and show hints of why things happened in "Disappearance".

If the season is to end with the ending from "Disappearance", then they can avoid "Snowy Mountain" and "Where did the Cat Go" to mix with the "Melancholy of Mikuru" and "Intrigues" for a third season. It is where to end the story that may be the hard part ("I hate Temporal Mechanics").
Charmed takes place after Vol. 4.

*sigh* Let's look at what we have here, shall we?

Disappearance itself would take up 5 episodes, and you can't do Disappearance without BLR, so that's 6 episodes right there.

Then you have Endless Eight, which is worth one episode, and Sighs, which I estimate is worth around 3, given that we've already seen a large portion of that content.

There we go, up to 10 already.

Now we add in Charmed, Snow Mountain Syndrome, and Where Did the Cat Go? to wrap it up. Add in another anime original written by Tanigawa, and bingo, there we go. 14 episodes.

Not too hard, was it?
Old 2008-06-06, 22:28   Link #1122
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Length is not the problem I was addressing, it was order and where to end the story, since with the temporal mechanics involved, this story jumps through three novels, including "Intrigues". More if you keep the Endless Eight and Snowy Mountain/Cat part of the plot in there as well.

if fan groups are still having issues as to what should be animated (or how many episodes is a story worth), order of episodes for plot materials, and how to balance the series so that it will draw in new viewers, rather than just the original fanbase (can't leave the new people in the dark from the start, they'll be lost.), how do you think the producers and staff feel. Their paychecks will be dependent on how well this does (and for some their job entirely).

At least with the first season we got to know the characters a little and they jumped us into the most ridiculous first episode to be seen in ages. It was bad. So bad it was funny, and intentionally bad. And then you realize what you are watching is not bad, but a bad film being made in a good anime, because it is believably student bad. It got people's attention, it made them curious, and then they hit us over the head with the real story.

To keep getting new fans (especially the type that think "oh that was so two years ago" or "Oh that's old, that means its bad" crowds) they need to be able to grab their attention early again. Lucky Star nearly failed because they didn't hit the go button until episode 5. The same will hopefully not happen to The "Disappearance of Haruhi"
Old 2008-06-06, 22:30   Link #1123
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Length is not the problem I was addressing, it was order and where to end the story, since with the temporal mechanics involved, this story jumps through three novels, including "Intrigues".

if fan groups are still having issues as to what should be animated (or how many episodes is a story worth), order of episodes for plot materials, and how to balance the series so that it will draw in new viewers, rather than just the original fanbase (can't leave the new people in the dark from the start, they'll be lost.), how do you think the producers and staff feel. Their paychecks will be dependent on how well this does (and for some their job entirely).

At least with the first season we got to know the characters a little and they jumped us into the most ridiculous first episode to be seen in ages. It was bad. So bad it was funny, and intentionally bad. And then you realize what you are watching is not bad, but a bad film being made in a good anime, because it is believably student bad. It got people's attention, it made them curious, and then they hit us over the head with the real story.

To keep getting new fans (especially the type that think "oh that was so two years ago" or "Oh that's old, that means its bad" crowds) they need to be able to grab their attention early again. Lucky Star nearly failed because they didn't hit the go button until episode 5. The same will hopefully not happen to The "Disappearance of Haruhi"
To answer this: How many people do you think will watch this who haven't watched the first season?
Old 2008-06-06, 22:49   Link #1124
brocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Er, no. That's half the point of this article. They haven't started working on it yet.
What's make you so sure of this? They've already stated during the December 18th announcement that it was already in production. For all we know they could've been working on it during Kanon but only decided to announce it on December 18th.
What good reasons do they have for saying that they're working on something when in actual fact they're not apart from shooting themselves in the foot?

Quote:
Er, no, again. They said something about a new anime and a new direction, not a "new Haruhi".

I think.

Gods, we need that article translated.
Now you're just arguing semantics. I'm just going by what others have said. But either way a 'new haruhi' or a 'new direction' to me is both essentially the same thing. It's going to be a new and different series from the 1st one, what's so hard to understand about that? And judging from the main source material it's going to be a very new and different one indeed.

Which brings me to my original point of people overreacting. Considering the rumour for a Clannad After Story airing during October is true. That means the window to do a one-cour season of Haruhi is closing with each passing day and that the latest they can get away with is about the July mark. Like i originally mentioned just wait and see, don't lose faith just yet...

Come past July and into August and if we still havn't gotten a Haruhi 2 yet, you can probably go bonkers then. I for one probably will

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
Old 2008-06-06, 22:56   Link #1125
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
To answer this: How many people do you think will watch this who haven't watched the first season?
Unknown. However a production company will want to generate more revenue, thus they will want lots of new viewers to add to those that are already fans, replace those that have left in disgust for them taking so long, and attract those that didn't watch anime (or anime of that type) two years ago.
Old 2008-06-06, 23:07   Link #1126
shaoron
AQS representative

Quote:
Unknown. However a production company will want to generate more revenue, thus they will want lots of new viewers to add to those that are already fans, replace those that have left in disgust for them taking so long, and attract those that didn't watch anime (or anime of that type) two years ago.
thos who "left in disgust for them taking so long" will be back
have rolled the rick over nine thousand times
yet never gonna give you up
so as I sing, UNLIMITED RICKROLL WORKS
Old 2008-06-06, 23:11   Link #1127
Bionicman

A quick summary of Kadokawa/Kyoani's mindset in the weeks/months before this story, as far as I can tell:

What amazes me is that the Newtype editors actually did a cover story when there was so little worthwhile information. Unless every other magazine I've ever read is unusual, isn't the point of a cover story to have an in depth look at whatever subject is on the cover? (By in depth, I don't mean a few details that would barely fill a press release.)

EDIT: For reference, I was referring to the following statement from Canned Dogs:
"The reason why they cancelled 2nd season and started “Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu new animation” instead was because they felt that they couldn’t just do a 2nd season and that they wanted to do a completely new “Haruhi” again. They’re still deciding on the concept for the new anime and how it’ll be like and having meetings for how the story will go."
It's one thing for the season not to be done yet. It's another entirely for them to still be deciding on the concept and how the story will go. Since no storyboarding, animation, voice acting, or anything else for that matter can be done without those things having been decided, it isn't a stretch to say that Season Two is no closer to fruition than it was two years ago.

Last edited by Bionicman; 2008-06-07 at 02:31.
Old 2008-06-06, 23:21   Link #1128
Nappy Hared Azn
Check out my Rolek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bionicman View Post
isn't the point of a cover story to have an in depth look at whatever subject is on the cover? (By in depth, I don't mean a few details that would barely fill a press release.)
Not necessarily. I mean, that usually holds true, but the real point of a cover story is to sell copies, which in turn makes money.

"Stick Haruhi on the cover, and they will come."

A shiny Maid Guy badge for anyone that can name the source of that quote. And no, it's not The Benchwarmers
Old 2008-06-06, 23:27   Link #1129
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
What's make you so sure of this? They've already stated during the December 18th announcement that it was already in production. For all we know they could've been working on it during Kanon but only decided to announce it on December 18th.
What good reasons do they have for saying that they're working on something when in actual fact they're not apart from shooting themselves in the foot?
See the posts above mine.

And I'm sure half the point of that article was to announce they hadn't done anything all year.

Quote:
What amazes me is that the Newtype editors actually did a cover story when there was so little worthwhile information. Unless every other magazine I've ever read is unusual, isn't the point of a cover story to have an in depth look at whatever subject is on the cover? (By in depth, I don't mean a few details that would barely fill a press release.)
So that was it then? No other information?

Or are you just conjecturing based on what others have said?

Last edited by Tyabann; 2008-06-06 at 23:42.
Old 2008-06-07, 00:20   Link #1130
Bionicman

Quote:
So that was it then? No other information?

Or are you just conjecturing based on what others have said?
Conjecture, hence the 'as far as I can tell.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nappy Hared Azn View Post
Not necessarily. I mean, that usually holds true, but the real point of a cover story is to sell copies, which in turn makes money.

"Stick Haruhi on the cover, and they will come."

A shiny Maid Guy badge for anyone that can name the source of that quote. And no, it's not The Benchwarmers
If you're talking about Field of Dreams, I didn't like the movie that much. I felt like yelling, "You're father's dead; get over it!"

Last edited by Bionicman; 2008-06-07 at 02:27.
Old 2008-06-07, 00:22   Link #1131
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Conjecture, hence the 'as far as I can tell.'
Oh good.

tencharacterslol
Old 2008-06-07, 00:31   Link #1132
brocko

Quote:
See the posts above mine.

And I'm sure half the point of that article was to announce they hadn't done anything all year.
Doesn't really make much sense to me though. It'd just be bad PR if that were the case. I mean why on Earth would a company go out of it's way to give itself a negative not to mention unprofessional image. "Yea we said we were working on it half a year ago, but in actual fact we lied and we weren't". I dunno, I guess I'll just wait awhile more until i get the bigger picture.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
Old 2008-06-07, 00:49   Link #1133
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
I agree with Skane. We've waited two years already, what's another month or so gonna do (I still stand by Haruhi 2 airing on July 7th btw). Hell I'm still hopeful of a 2nd Nadesico and Slam Dunk anime, even though they were both animated over a decade ago and the chances seem to be slimming with each passing day

Anywayz on a slight different tangent, I think some people may be over-reacting to this "completely new Haruhi" announcement or whatever you want to call it. After all it's basically the same thing they said half a year ago on December 18th, "TMoSH 2 cancelled, new Suzumiya Haruhi animation set in production!". Novel readers should've picked up on what they meant by a "new Haruhi" if they havn't already though

Just wait and see is all i have to say, don't lose faith just yet...
Yeah, I still remember when Suzumiya Haruhi came out like a year or so ago. There have been so many false alarms and assumptions surrounding this that it's not small wonder the reaction now. Such hype doesn't do the series all that good. As i said, it's a light entertainment/fun/happy go lucky type series that doesn't really warrant such viral marketing. Look at how Sunrise/Bandai are handling their press releases over at the Code Geass and Gundam 00 camp and you'll see that they like to tease and kid, but they don't like to outright mislead or needlessly confuse as Kadokawa seems to be doing with this whole campaign. (See the whole computer password on the main website thing that is now arguably rendered moot by the reboot on the seconds seasons script).

That's honestly been like their biggest weakness and why I think they ended last year in the red. They press their luck far more then they need to when there is an active, happy and willing fanbase out there that is interested in their product.

I think Bionicman's picture put it best and the way I interpret it is that Kadokawa has been hawking and hawking and hawking a product that as of now we have still have no proof or knowledge of it's existence. In other words they are advertising for the sake of advertising more or less. It's not a matter of people being upset and impatient so much as they've been led around by this ad campaign for 2 years only to find out that a significant portion of it has been naught but a red herring.

I think people are starting to see why I have such an intense dislike of Kadokawa's business practices now no?
Old 2008-06-07, 01:39   Link #1134
jonli
JONLIの憂'

I'm looking at the scans right now.

Kyon's the only one with a real significant difference in design. His hair is longer, and actually stylized (trying to look sexy). Everyone else is practically the same, Itsuki's hair is less spikey than before.

I don't really count that as a "remake" of a series -_-. Well i'm glad that they all kept their designs, I really hope these are the only changes we're going to see...don't change any of the VAs please.
Old 2008-06-07, 02:42   Link #1135
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Posted some of my thoughts in this link:

[RIUVA] The Anime Announcements of Suzumiya Haruhi: What Gives?
Old 2008-06-07, 02:48   Link #1136
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Why don't you post them here Ascaloth since they deal with what we've all been talking about? I would think everybody would like to hear it.
Old 2008-06-07, 03:13   Link #1137
max2k

Because he trys to get some visits to his blog this way. Question is was ther realy a need for me to spell it out for you...
Old 2008-06-07, 03:40   Link #1138
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by max2k View Post
Because he trys to get some visits to his blog this way. Question is was ther realy a need for me to spell it out for you...
Uhhhh....looks like it went over your head. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 2008-06-07, 06:39   Link #1139
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Now that I thought about it, perhaps KyoAni is throwing in the same gag twice because the first one was hidden?

The first time KyoAni did the "Haruhi 2 is canceled and replaced with alternate universe" gag, was in a hidden website that required you entering the password of SOS-dan member surname initials. Hard core fans have already accessed the website last year.

But the majority of NewType readers have not been to that website. The majority also probably haven't read the novels either. Thus KyoAni is playing the joke all over again by disguising the alternate universe as some sort of "remade Haruhi".

This might also mean we would START the first new Haruhi episode with the alternate Haruhi. This would obviously be quite a shock to anyone not up to date with the lore, and they would most likely be fooled by the NewType article and believe it to be a remake.

My position? This is a prank played on anyone who haven't been reading the novels. Think of it like a hazing ritual.
Old 2008-06-07, 08:04   Link #1140
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

I really don't see why people should get all worked up for the release of new information amounting to "nothing" simply because there is no release date.

For 19 years Indiana Jones 4 went in developmental hell, but I still went and enjoyed watching the movie when it finally came out.

With the release of such character designs, do you seriously expect them to take 19 years before they get something done?
Closed Thread

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, school life, science fiction, shounen