Notices

Old 2004-10-11, 13:28   Link #141
Animizzle
Cool as a Cucumber

I think, when you buy an ashtray you should consider the following

1) Do I smoke?
2) Do I have friends that smoke?
3) Is it a sturdy one?
4) Are the colors in any way contradicting with my E-house interior Design 200x tm
5) Is it worth my money? ie will my future doctors bill due to extra movement of washing plates/cups covered in ashes weigh up to what I spend on a brand new ashtray and thus relieve myself from future RSI.

Think before you act, and the choice will be clear.
Old 2004-10-11, 16:42   Link #142
kboykb

MMM okay - I'll take my shot at this. Quite frankly it doesn't matter to me, I think Naruto is one of the most entertaining shows of them all IMO. I like Naruto's character - Kakashi's character - and especially Oro's character, even if they've been done 20,000 times.

2 - . . . . well sad to say, This is only about the 3rd or 4th anime I've devoted myself to actually sitting down and watching (DBZ was my first, Trigun #2, Rurouni Kenshin was #3, and I stopped Inuyasha.. but I'm gonna start again) .. and I'm trying to download all of Cowboy Bebop now.

So all of this "It's been done so many times - it's very similar to other shounen manga" doesn't really apply to me - so since Naruto is the first time I'm getting to see all fo this good stuff (well.. besides Kenshin) - then that makes it more entertaining for me!!

And yeh, I don't get that color palette thing - I'm an artist myself and it seems fine to me. Of course the colors got washed out in the Zabuza Arc, but how is it supposed to look when the scene is covered with mist?

She's entitled to her opinion though, I'm not bashin' her like I see some peeps are. . .
kboykb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-11, 19:13   Link #143
UserName

At this point I think it's very true that Naruto is average at best. That doesn't mean I'm going to stop reading/watching it... though if it gets any worse I might. The first first saga was great from there on after it was quite... not so good. Hovering between good and average.
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-11, 19:33   Link #144
A.L.

With this thread being resurrected and me always wanting to put my two cents in, I may finally get it. First, I would like to say that I find her review interesting, but I SO believe that when you put something up intot he public, you are taking a risk. And since this thread was made for the purpose of seeing Naruto fans react to this, it's my turn to contribute.

She mentions in the beginning that she started watching it, - expecting it to live up to the hype and stuff - and she finds it predicatable and is bewildered of how Naruto lives up to the hype especially with oldies fans. I have watched anime for most of my life. It's not that I do it 24/7, but I'd like to say that Naruto may be predictable, but I have seen too many recent anime that is either so Shoujo, or trying so hard to be different, that I miss the sweet vintage of an anime or manga that is slapped right down in its genre like Naruto. Maybe she should consider that long-time anime fans may like anime that is close to the types they liked before?

Besides, several stories I've encountered have been so predicable in the beginning, but they make it up with the best endings ever.

When she talks about characters, she compares Naruto to other Shonen Heroes we all know and love. (and maybe even hate) Naruto is a character I would never try to comapre with other characters. In fact, comparing characters like this doesn't seem fair to me. I don't like to think much of a character review if it is nothing more than a comparison. The character review should try to analyze character as its own self. I've watched all these anime, and I don't find too many similarites to them as a person. They all seem to be their own person, and when people who read this review thinks of Naruto as these characters, they still don't know anything about the character Naruto as he was meant to be portrayed. Naruto is NOT a genki character that happens to be a likeable scamp who happens to somehow learn a forbidden jutsu, which happens to be arguably not that much of a forbidden jutsu, that wants respect and is obviously going to achieve it. He is more like a genki character that happens to act that way, because he's making the best of things when the world bites him; and he bites back, making the best of things. Of course, he bites back in a way that doens't help his problems; but with recognition, he has a better sense of hope. THEN becomes more cliche-like even though he's a genki character with a sad past. Characters with sad pasts that act genki and actually feel completely positive with themselves is more like Naruto.
Sakura I won't say anything about, because I know for sure that the amount of episodes wouldn't allow her to get a good glimpse of Sakura's character. The same goes for Sasuke, because it's not fair to compare him to all rival-types.

I agree with her on some parts of the animation. However, I heard that the parts done in Korea are really nice. I find nothing wrong with character designs even if the creater is an "average artist at best." I understand that use lose something when manga is put into anime-form, but I don't think it looks THAT bad in anime-form. (Except when we're talking about the Tsunade Arc.) What she said on the color saddened me, though. The coloring is something I find original and new. With computers doing everything nowadays, I find it appropriate, different, and an experimentation. I see nothing wrong with it. I like to just presume that she's not used to this new type of coloring compared to other anime.

Music, on the other hand, I find completely the opposite. I like the ending theme. (I didn't like Rocks, but I wouldn't call it horrible and definitely not "bad wannabe metal." More like a "decent, but not lovable nor earpiercing.") The chanting is annoying in my opinion, though different. So, it's nto too bad. And the ending theme I will go easy on, only because the dude singing it is no Hitada Hikaru
and that the Japanese consider him to sing good English.

I also do not agree with this lady on putting it on Cartoon Network, unless she meant adult swim.

The thing, that really made me feel negative on this review is the fact that most paragraphs talk about the negativities of Naruto, but she gave it average. What she should have done was tell the reader what was good about Naruto as well. All she did was talk badly about the anime for a while, but she has yet to explain what made things so average. All she did was soften the negative remarks.

Overall, the reviewer has not made a decent review. I'm not being biased, though. If I were a person who was reading this review who knew nothing about it, I would just be reading a comparison between of Naruto between other anime. The reviewer would confuse me by saying the negative aspects while hardly explaining the positives, and at the end, say that is decent and average. I don't see it being too biased, other than the fact that she expected better. However, I don't believe she made an accurate account on Naruto whether or not that she watched only a few episodes. She seemes to make people think the wrong idea of it, and to other people, sound a bit biased. I respect her opinion, but if a someone judged Naruto by this review, it would not be an accurate display of Naruto at all.
A.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-12, 12:57   Link #145
Animizzle
Cool as a Cucumber

nevermind.

Last edited by Animizzle; 2004-10-13 at 05:29.
Animizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-12, 15:07   Link #146
Yoska
フランキー

I think it's funny people forgives series faults just because it's a shounen. Take a look at Death Note or Steel Ball Run. Both are shounen but they do fine without falling to clichés. The review is good although little too one sided but there are still many points I wouldn't agree more. However Naruto isn't even suppose to be anything truly original and I feel sad for how the series is treated so badly merely because it's over popular.
Yoska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-12, 16:11   Link #147
Joe Dalton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animizzle
yes, but when i shop for apples i ALWAYS take the red ones
I like em green
Joe Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-12, 16:20   Link #148
Fei-san
Monkeykyou Sharingan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dalton
I like em green
What's wrong with yellow apples? rascist!
Anyway, Naruto isnt the best since sliced bread, it's just something to download while totally bored or your favorite mmorpg is down, thats my opinion though
Fei-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-12, 17:12   Link #149
Hunter
Bubbly and super fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoska
I think it's funny people forgives series faults just because it's a shounen. Take a look at Death Note or Steel Ball Run.
There is many kind of shounen and Death note isn't a fighting shounen at all, it's like comparing Yakitate Japan or Ichigo 100% to Naruto, it's just not the same thing.

I didn't read Steel Ball Run yet, it's by the mangaka of Jojo right?
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-12, 17:50   Link #150
SOmbody
ナルトの 学生

Send a message via AIM to SOmbody
I disagree with her.
This anime is different from other animes in a lot of ways. Few things she said were true and one thing i would like to point out. This anime is totally creative in the fact with it being about ninjas.... Kishimoto is a genius to develop this whole new world of ninjas and all these special jutsus that just make you pee your pants because they are coool. I bet you she just watched the first 10 episodes and gave a review... i mean.. she said Iruka was cooler than naruto/sasuke/ and sakura. Later on the in anime when you see the 3 hokages fight and orochimaru more and you see naruto and other characters develop it gets more intense and makes you want to keep on watching. So i not sure what she is talking about, and about the color schemes of the anime..who cares as long as people like the anime . Naruto is a lot different manga/anime than others and is there a better ninja anime out there??? i dont think so .
The movie was a big hit as well so i say right meow one piece & naruto are 2 h4wt animes right now, also manga too ^_^
SOmbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-12, 19:15   Link #151
UserName

Naruto really isn't original at all... really unoriginal nothing too out there or new, there may be a few new things(which I can't think of right now). ...

Some people tend to think otherwise...
Old 2004-10-12, 19:33   Link #152
whatever123

Send a message via MSN to whatever123
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName
Naruto really isn't original at all... really unoriginal nothing too out there or new, there may be a few new things(which I can't think of right now). ...

i don't think there is any shounen anime that is original, the only shounen anime that stands out as a bit different is one piece but probably thats my inexperience with anime and manga
Old 2004-10-12, 20:07   Link #153
UserName

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever123
i don't think there is any shounen anime that is original, the only shounen anime that stands out as a bit different is one piece but probably thats my inexperience with anime and manga
There are some. For example, not sure how this is way back, but Dragonball back then, compare it the series before, i'm sure it hasn't been too overdone(note it started in 1984). One Piece is another one which you mentioned, kind of reminds me of Dragonball in style but part of it is they both have original and out there stuff, one talking animals the other changing into elements. There aren't that many original shonen, and Naruto is one of those that isn't too original. But there are some.

Hmm... ... I really didn't think while writing that... but the point is Naruto is one of the many that isn't too original(not saying it lacks oriignality 100%). But there are some still going that is original.
Old 2004-10-12, 20:35   Link #154
whatever123

Send a message via MSN to whatever123
Quote:
There are some. For example, not sure how this is way back, but Dragonball back then, compare it the series before, i'm sure it hasn't been too overdone(note it started in 1984). One Piece is another one which you mentioned, kind of reminds me of Dragonball in style but part of it is they both have original and out there stuff, one talking animals the other changing into elements. There aren't that many original shonen, and Naruto is one of those that isn't too original. But there are some.

Hmm... ... I really didn't think while writing that... but the point is Naruto is one of the many that isn't too original(not saying it lacks oriignality 100%). But there are some still going that is original.

the initial story of dragonball was taken from an ancient chinese myth "legend of the monkey king" or was it "journey to the west" (kinda hard to remember so if anyone can correct me please ) and combined with the tone "i have to find a rare object while making a hard journey to make my wish come true" was very common take the anime "sinbad" for example

what was new in dragonball was how the author combined the different elements to create the story in an entertaining way, same thing that goes for naruto the setting of ninja world with some mysterious powers combined with his character and some other elements is what makes it entertaining and a bit different

Last edited by whatever123; 2004-10-12 at 21:05. Reason: spelling & grammer
whatever123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-12, 20:51   Link #155
blahblahmaster

While, of course, Naruto isn't totally original (of course, I doubt there is a series that is completely unique), but you gotta give credit where it's due.

Seriously, who would've thought of a blond kid in an orange jumpsuit when thinking of ninja?
blahblahmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-12, 21:12   Link #156
Kovash
Why am I still here!?

Quote:

The good thing about Naruto, in my opinion, anyway; is that it doesn't NEED to be original to be entertaining.

My main objection to the road Naruto is traveling down is that for the entire first arc, we are told constantly that HOW you use a Jutsu is FAR more important than simply hitting someone; Naruto has staryed from this premise where skill and grace are overshadowed by sheer strength of force. With the possible exception of Shikamaru, because stratagy is his shtick; no Ninja use skill anymore, it's all about who has the more powerful Chakra/Jutsu.

This is probably why Shino is my favorite character, because even in the face of sheer power, he has every fight (granted, we've only seen two) sussed out from the very beginning and uses that thinking ahead to fake-out his opponent.

I personally don't think the Animation is terrible, so long as I can see that Naruto is a young male with an orange jacket and pants I'll be happy.

The music is of VERY high quality I think, but then I am biased towards Japanese composition
Kovash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-12, 22:38   Link #157
UserName

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever123
the initial story of dragonball was taken from an ancient chinese myth "legend of the monkey king" or was it "journey to the west" (kinda hard to remember so if anyone can correct me please ) and combined with the tone "i have to find a rare object while making a hard journey to make my wish come true" was very common take the anime "sinbad" for example

what was new in dragonball was how the author combined the different elements to create the story in an entertaining way, same thing that goes for naruto the setting of ninja world with some mysterious powers combined with his character and some other elements is what makes it entertaining and a bit different
The story itself is not what i mean, the way the series is is what I consider original in the cases of DB and OP. DB was based on journey to the west I belive and the 'find a rare object' really isn't half of what it's about...

Naruto the story might be original(it might not be) but the way it is. It's not original. Yes it is entertaining... 'was'... and might become it soon enough(just waits for filler arc to be over or a new manga arc). Some people seem to think Naruto is a needle in a haystack in terms of oriiginaliy, as in if you look at a few posts or rather the majority of the posts you will see that. I just thought I'd comment otherwise.
Old 2004-10-13, 05:02   Link #158
Yoska
フランキー

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
There is many kind of shounen and Death note isn't a fighting shounen at all, it's like comparing Yakitate Japan or Ichigo 100% to Naruto, it's just not the same thing.

I didn't read Steel Ball Run yet, it's by the mangaka of Jojo right?
Death Note is different genre but I used it as an example to point out it's possible to create something new and original even if it's a shounen. To create truly original fighting shounen is indeed impossible but it doesn't remove possibility to be peculiar. Atleast One Piece has been able to avoid some of the biggest faults of the genre and being somewhat original. I enjoy some aspect of Naruto too and I don't see anything bad liking it but levering it up to a masterpiece is just wrong. There are far more better books, movies, tv series ( at the moment I'm in love with "six feet under" and "nip/tuck") and comics out there.

Yeah, SBR and JoJo are by the same author. I'm not sure if there is a connection between these two series. I have read first two parts of JoJo and I didn't fancy it that much but from what I have been seeing in SBR it's really promising though it's not going to be a huge hit.
Yoska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-13, 07:42   Link #159
Joe Dalton

rofl... reading it's original because they are called ninja must be the funniest thing EVER!
God I love this forum. Can always find some funny shit.
Joe Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote