AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Full Metal Panic

Notices

View Poll Results: Full Metal Panic Invisible Victory - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 6 15.38%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 22 56.41%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 7 17.95%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 7.69%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 2.56%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2018-04-15, 23:22   Link #61
Mugen26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwai View Post
I don't recall seeing that ginger haired girl before. A new character?
Yes. She's a new character that will be appearing in future episodes. That's all I can say on that.
---
Ok, so after multiple watches and finally calming down after the intense hype I've had from waiting for this series/episode for nearly 13 bloody years, I figured I'd sit on my review for a couple of days to collect my thoughts first. Now I am ready!

Ep. 1 - Zero Hour Review:
  • Right from the get-go, the swift camera zoom-in of the landscape reminded me of similar shots done in Xebec's Fafner series. We didn't get much of that from any of the previous series so it's easy to feel it's a newer production/studio right of the bat. The entire scene at the graveyard was ominous, but very fast. The credits playing over the scene indicates that there's little time for anything else but jumping right into the thick of things. This is evident by the fast jump to the title card for a quick second before cutting to another scene immediately. A bit too fast/choppy for my liking, but understandable why it was like that.
  • Kurama's introduction was also edited quickly as well, but oddly enough it actually plays in favor of his personality; a cold man of fewer words who won't be playing around. He's a clear contrast to the more whimsical Leonard.
  • The CG of the mech movements is something people have been discussing. Xebec is no stranger to CG mechs. Although I hated their low frame rates of Argevollen (and practically everything about that show), their CG movements here are much smoother. It actually reminded me of the mechanical movements from Zoids, a series Xebec did nearly 20 years ago. The transition will take some getting used to from the previous 2D, but they've certainly mastered their craft over the years, and can say I enjoyed what little is shown so far. Aesthetically, they've never looked better!
  • The 2D character's have an interesting look as well. They've kept their overall design from TSR with some slight changes to modernize their look. It's most noticeable on Chidori, with her frontal hair not looking as "90's layered" as it once did. Also, the cheek accentuation marks have been removed entirely, saved for just that one close-up of Kurz that was also in the PV trailers.
  • As for the music, we get entirely new tracks from the man himself, Toshihiko Sahashi! While I would have loved some familiarity in this episode, like recreating Kaname's melody with a more orchestral touch during the uber adorable hand-holding scene, his new music is impressive. He too seemingly evolved his style for the modern times as well. There are some digital beats added to his sound (noticeable during the scene where Kurama and Leonard interact), nothing of which was apart of his style in the previous series music. I seriously dig it to be honest. Luckily the ominous, Russian-esque quality to his music is still ever present and memorable.
  • The storyboarding was one thing that I was worried about going in because of the studio switch. TSR not only had KyoAni at the helm of animation, but their composition and storyboard direction was TOP freakin' notch. They literally made the most mundane of dialogue scenes extremely interesting with all sorts of angles and attention to detail. Luckily, Invisible Victory continues this trend. While I haven't seen anything yet that makes me feel it's surpassed TSR in that aspect, I did love the various close-ups, candid angles, and atmospheric coloring. You could easily tell what Kaname and Sousuke were thinking during the confrontation with Leonard, even though there was zero internal dialogue was spoken about their thoughts. The close up of her covering her lips while Sousuke glances in confusion was done seamlessly. The biggest highlight of course was the swift rotation that followed Kaname's jump away from Sousuke. It's made us as the audience feel just as startled as her in that moment, and it was executed perfectly without looking like awkward CG whatsoever.
This episode was just about everything that I wanted in the continuation, and more! It continues the trends set in TSR but done so in a more modernized fashion for 2018. Other than some slight pacing issues early on, this was the FMP sequel premiere worthy of the fan's everlasting patience. I cannot contain my excitement for episode 2 and the rest that will come! It's going to be on hell of a ride!!
Old 2018-04-16, 02:02   Link #62
dasvik

Send a message via Yahoo to dasvik
I see a lot of people mentioning the "no intro or ending" thing, and while I agree it might've been because they tried to cover more material in this first episode, I also think it's a nod to the last episode of TSR, which originally also had no OP or ED. The Blu-ray versions added the OP and ED, but the original airing episode didn't have them - it will probably be the same with this episode, when it's released on BR. It might also be their way of showing IV picks up where TSR left off.

As for the episode itself, to me it felt quite a bit rushed, and while I don't have a big problem with that, I hope it won't mean the entire anime will be like that. However, this feeling might just be because I've read the novels a lot of times, and there's a lot of detail there, some of which can't really be put into anime.

Overall I think it was done well - however, I would've preferred Sousuke's talk with Hayashimizu to have a darker tone to it (some ominous background music, or some "deeper" voice tone). I can't say I'm very fond of CG mech, but they look good and their movements, while a bit clumsily, aren't totally bad, from what we saw. We'll have to wait for the first mech battle to have a clear idea about them.
Old 2018-04-16, 03:35   Link #63
laughingwalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacredus View Post
12 years of waiting for only 12ep... Let's hope it's split cour.
I haven't read the novels. I have read summaries. If this covers what the volumes they suggest they are covering, they are at least planning two cours. The core LN story is told over 12 volumes, this seems like they are covering 7 -9. That portion of the story seems like it would naturally lead to another season.
Old 2018-04-16, 03:54   Link #64
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwai View Post
I don't recall seeing that ginger haired girl before. A new character?
Yes, best girl of FMP.
Old 2018-04-16, 13:15   Link #65
MisterBaka

Quote:
Yes, best girl of FMP.
Them's fighting words!
Just kidding, love Nami.
Old 2018-04-16, 15:34   Link #66
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
13 years since FMP graced us. I am happy its back and the first episode did not disappoint. It felt a little rushed but i understand why. Over all a strong start. This is literally the only anime to get me to come out of hibernation and start posting again.
Old 2018-04-16, 18:13   Link #67
MgMaster

So 9 months since it all started for them huh....and here we are, a bunch of viewers watching it now over a decade later. It feels weird at 1s but then the ep just proceeded to do it's thing, as if it never disappeared in this 1st place and I loved that, lol.
Old 2018-04-16, 19:04   Link #68
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Looks like there will be a game about the series but I kind of decided not to post trailer because it's full of spoilers.
Old 2018-04-17, 09:36   Link #69
BluePhirePB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pierrot View Post
New screenshot
Spoiler for size:
Well hello happier Asuka!

I have a Revoltech figure of the
Spoiler:
. Is that supposed to make its appearance in this series? (have never read the source material)
Old 2018-04-17, 20:47   Link #70
Illsteir
ARX-Fake

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePhirePB View Post
Is that supposed to make its appearance in this series? (have never read the source material)
Based on the episode list posted in the FMP IV twitter, It most likely will.
Old 2018-04-21, 14:08   Link #71
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Full Metal Panic Invisible Victory: Full Throttle from the Start.

Can't believe it's been 13 years since The Second Raid, and how come I did not review it back then at AnimeSuki?

All I can vouch for this first episode is that the action rollercoaster will be non-stop for the rest of the show.

I'm just excited to see all my FMP characters back: Tessa, Chidori, Sousuke, Kalinnin, Melissa, Kurz, etc.

Glad to witness that Chidori hasn't lost her spunk in the least while telling off that bastard Leonard his just desserts.

But, him inviting himself at Chidori's pretty much sums up that Amalgam's done with playing little games with Mithril. In the previous season, they pretty much cleaned their own house with Gauln and Gates while also indirectly issuing an ultimatum to Mithril just to leave them alone to their own devices.

Six months after the events of the Second Raid, Mithril keeps pushing harder and harder on getting Amalgam out of business with the Whispered and Black Technology, but they finally became fed up, and with this episode they have finally declared war on Mithril.

Boy, oh boy! They'll be too much action packed episodes and non-stop thrills, but still I truly vouch for Chidori and Sousuke to stay together even amidst the chaos. C'mon Sousuke! Man up and confess your feelings to Chidori even in this times of war.
Closed Thread