AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-01-06, 20:32   Link #141
Hypertaost
I misspelled, it's toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y View Post
Don't hate me for this, but Maria's "U-- U--" kind of gets on my nerves.
Yep, and since her expressions are so ugly, she is officially my least favorite female character. What I don't understand is why all those companies with awesome writers doesn't hire new artists. My opinion is that once most of the fan art looks better than the orginal, the artist needs to be changes. The only problem is that they don't seem to agree with me. Ah, but the story is strangely addicting and the music's great! I'm really glad I got this.

Spoiler for this is my little rant:
Old 2008-01-06, 21:36   Link #142
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

Umineko and Higurashi are called Sound Novels meaning the mood is set with the music not the artwork.

Also I find Ryukishi07's (he's also the writer) character artwork to be very moe

Last edited by Sterling01; 2008-01-06 at 21:48.
Old 2008-01-06, 22:46   Link #143
Hypertaost
I misspelled, it's toast

What does moe mean?
I mean, I've come across a lot of mentioning of that word in the past few years, but I just don't understna dwhat that is.

Ah...my posts are getting more and more off topic............
Old 2008-01-06, 23:41   Link #144
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

Moe: a Definition by kj1980
Old 2008-01-07, 00:28   Link #145
yangxu

I actually like this story more than Higurashi, the reasoning and logic behind it are fun to mess around with. While ryukishi07 writes superb stories, I personally think he needs to hire an artist for his games, the manga version's character design looks much better IMO.
Old 2008-01-07, 00:46   Link #146
yangxu

Quote:
Originally Posted by theacefrehley View Post
Your theory makes sense

And besides,
If I'm not mistaken, Genji supervised the construction of the mansion and until the end he said there's no secret passage.

I think that by the situation they were in the last 2 chapters, if he really knew a secret passage, he would blurt it out already. It was obvious that someone was out there killing everybody. Unless he believed he would be spared
If Kinzo ordered him not to say anything about any secret rooms, as a loyal servant who's only role is to repay Kinzo's kindness, Genji will probably remain silent till his death. And if Kinzo continuously blabs about his willingness to sacrifice anything in exchange to see Beatrice's smile again, with Genji standing besides him, I believe Genji should be cunning enough to realize what's about to come, especially with all the black magics his master has been practicing.

It seems that when Krauss showed his wife the piece of gold he found, the room they stayed in at that time was a secret room; based on this alone, Genji must've been lying to everybody else. While I'm not really a fan of Conan and his "there must be a secret room somewhere", I believe certain things in this game can only be explained using secret rooms.
Old 2008-01-07, 04:14   Link #147
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypertaost View Post
Yep, and since her expressions are so ugly, she is officially my least favorite female character. What I don't understand is why all those companies with awesome writers doesn't hire new artists. My opinion is that once most of the fan art looks better than the orginal, the artist needs to be changes. The only problem is that they don't seem to agree with me. Ah, but the story is strangely addicting and the music's great! I'm really glad I got this.
A. 07th Expansion is a doujin group, not a company
B. The writer and artist is the same person for 07th Expansion: Ryukishi07
C. Ryukishi's art work maybe annoying at first, but strangely it begins to grow upon you until you come to accept that Higurashi (or Umineko) isn't Higurashi (or Umineko) without Ryukishi's artwork wwwww
Old 2008-01-07, 09:54   Link #148
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

Also Ryukishi like other artists IMO has gotten better.....
Old 2008-01-07, 19:13   Link #149
Hypertaost
I misspelled, it's toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980 View Post
C. Ryukishi's art work maybe annoying at first, but strangely it begins to grow upon you until you come to accept that Higurashi (or Umineko) isn't Higurashi (or Umineko) without Ryukishi's artwork wwwww
Yes I agree with that fact. Somehow They just kind of grab a hold of you. The only problem is that I like all the character designs besides Maria's face and Roza's hair. It's like watching one of Hayao Miyazaki's films. I love his stories and the music is soooo gorgeous and the animation is slick and really good, but the way the character's faces look just dosen't appeal to me. I'm a fan of big dewey eyes XD, that's just the way I am. This is one of the reasons that I love the Motion Graphics so much because you can see the characters is a diffrent way with them presented in a way that really appeals to me. Besides, since this IS a sound novel after all, I guess a little complaint by someone who loves shoujo art should be okay right? I mean, I do like the characters and the way the story builds them and Ryukishi's clothing designs really appeal to me, but I just don't like Maria's face....

Last edited by Hypertaost; 2008-01-07 at 19:55.
Old 2008-01-07, 21:26   Link #150
kgptzac
Summoner of the Third Eye

solution: read manga and burn the character designs from the manga to your head, then project the image while you play the game. It worked for me. =3=
Old 2008-01-08, 00:41   Link #151
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling01 View Post
Also Ryukishi like other artists IMO has gotten better.....
I dunno... I found Higurashi's characters much more attractive in general. Regardless of the quality of Ryukishi's drawings, I found Umineko's adult cast to be nicely designed as well. The young ones, however, felt... odd. George didn't have the "oomph" of a main character, Battler's personality felt a little too extreme to be the "player" character, Jessica's outfit looks odd to me, Maria is straddling on the line between mysterious moe loli and annoying brat, and Shanon and Kanon should have swapped places (like those fanarts in the picture thread).

The adult cast is far more likable for me. My favorite characters even now are found among the adults, such as Natsuhi, Genji, and Kouda. Although I must admit that even some of the adults get on my nerves a lot, like Eva, Rosa, and Kinzou.
Old 2008-01-08, 02:00   Link #152
kgptzac

I agree, I totally like the adults over the children. I got impressed first at their verbal battle over Kinzo's property, then their reactions to the first deaths, and at last Genji and especially Natsuhi till the end (allow me to call her お母様 >.<)

I hope in the next few episodes the young ones will do something interesting other than trying to think out who's the killer and keep watching ppl around them die.
Old 2008-01-08, 09:29   Link #153
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

My favorite characters so far are Battler for his Personality, Beatrice for her attitude and interactions with Battler and Kouda because his just a awesome butler
Old 2008-01-10, 00:10   Link #154
kgptzac

I forgot where I saw this theory about the rifle... It can be modified to shoot bullets from the back, which can explained Natsuhi's suicide (ouch...) and perhap also Eva's seemingly reckless taunting... I really doubted Eva is kind of person who would let her emotion run uncheck to a degree of in danger of being shot.
Old 2008-01-13, 02:27   Link #155
Rias

Spoiler for theory about Hideyoshi+Eva:
Old 2008-01-13, 18:08   Link #156
theacefrehley
Guitar Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rias View Post
Spoiler for theory about Hideyoshi+Eva:
Your theory (part 2) makes sense but there's the fact that right after everyone leaves the room, there's the boiler room incident, and there were signs of someone running from there (in the novel it's lots of reading, but I guess it all doesn't last more than a few minutes)

But it would be not a problem at all if the criminal(s) is more than one person (Yamainu has landed in Rokkenjima)
Old 2008-01-13, 22:32   Link #157
Hypertaost
I misspelled, it's toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgptzac View Post
solution: read manga and burn the character designs from the manga to your head, then project the image while you play the game. It worked for me. =3=
Ah, I recently got the first 2 chapters of the manga and I have to say that Shannon looks really adorable!

By the way, can anyone give me a translation of the menu of the music box?
Old 2008-01-13, 23:47   Link #158
Rias

Quote:
Originally Posted by theacefrehley View Post
Your theory (part 2) makes sense but there's the fact that right after everyone leaves the room, there's the boiler room incident, and there were signs of someone running from there (in the novel it's lots of reading, but I guess it all doesn't last more than a few minutes)

But it would be not a problem at all if the criminal(s) is more than one person (Yamainu has landed in Rokkenjima)
Question is, could the culprit reach the back door of the boiler room (from the room) before Kanon + Kumasawa showed up thru the front door? Since it was never mentioned in the story regarding the distance, it's hard to say. Drawing from Kyrie's 18 people theory, it's "possible becuase it hasn't been proven impossible"

Last edited by Rias; 2008-01-14 at 11:24.
Old 2008-01-14, 18:33   Link #159
Nabiki Asakura
Order Maiden
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Nabiki Asakura
._.

Could someone please translate umineko episode 1 tips? i'm from brazil and i dont know japanese i0i. A friend tried to play umineko but she didn't understand a few thing... I wanna know the tips, what does beatrice says in tea party and who gave that bracelet to jessica... (oh, and...Jessica really had something with Kanon?;D)
Old 2008-01-14, 19:26   Link #160
Nabiki Asakura
Order Maiden
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Nabiki Asakura
Sorry XD
The tea party from episode 1, please. i just play(played?Sorry, bad english) one episode.

In Brazil, nobody translate more than 4 chapters from Umineko. I didn't find in english too _ _"

Closed Thread