AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2008-03-06, 05:08   Link #501
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkellis View Post
On another note, how powerful does a computer need to be for graphics work like doujin-making?
Depends on the software in question. Photshop runs smoothly on a 1gighz processor with 512 mb RAM, but I'm not sure what the specs are for profesional software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Bandit View Post
Ah, curse this thread. Muse won't settle down.

Well, I imagine I'm just embarrassing myself (I really don't practice enough to have any kind of pride-Even as I look at this now, I'm noticing more and more mistakes.) But even if it's just to contribute somehow, I'll toss it in.

Please be gentle.

Spoiler for image:
I like the face, but the waist is... really thin. Too thin, I'd say.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 05:08   Link #502
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

...wait, why is the thread back to Asakura with a sword? Didn't I just post this morning on how it makes no sense for Asakura to use a sword when a knife is more efficient and Asakura aims to be efficient, being a data collection entity?

As to doujin software, Kazuya Minekure used Photoshop on a Power Mac G3 back when she was doing doujins; she currently uses Photoshop on a G4 for her professional manga. Photoshop's good enough. Mostly.

Tony Taka apparently scans in his black and white stuff and draws it by hand. <.<

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 05:10   Link #503
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

A fanartist drew Asakura with a sword, which brought the discussion back up.
Old 2008-03-06, 05:15   Link #504
Bean Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
I like the face, but the waist is... really thin. Too thin, I'd say.
Hmm...You're right. Sketch lines in there are particularly bad. Fortunately, that's probably the easiest mistake to fix. Her head looks a bit too long to me, too...
Bean Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 05:24   Link #505
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Depends on the software in question. Photshop runs smoothly on a 1gighz processor with 512 mb RAM, but I'm not sure what the specs are for profesional software.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
As to doujin software, Kazuya Minekure used Photoshop on a Power Mac G3 back when she was doing doujins; she currently uses Photoshop on a G4 for her professional manga. Photoshop's good enough. Mostly.

Tony Taka apparently scans in his black and white stuff and draws it by hand. <.<
The reason I ask is because if Haruki is really going to extort a computer from the Fujoshi Computer Club girls, he might not get the top-of-the-line model as Haruhi did in the canon. (Or at least what was top-of-the-line enough for the Computer Club President's budget, taking into account the probability that he built it himself.)
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 05:38   Link #506
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Some people love manga studio. (never touched it, so wouldn't know)
Bean Bandit: just adjust Kyon's right arm a bit and make the changes on the torso as suggested by Keroko and she should be fine. It's odd how that I can't draw people for a dime's worth when I am using pen and paper... come to think of it...

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 05:43   Link #507
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
The reason I ask is because if Haruki is really going to extort a computer from the Fujoshi Computer Club girls, he might not get the top-of-the-line model as Haruhi did in the canon. (Or at least what was top-of-the-line enough for the Computer Club President's budget, taking into account the probability that he built it himself.)
Well, why wouldn't he go for a top-of-the-line computer?

Like I said, meek little Mitsuru is still excellent extortion material. Thinking like Haruki, I can already imagine the headlines: "Sexually repressed computer club assaults weak, pretty boy"

Sexual assault is sexual assault, no matter which side of the gender its coming from.
Old 2008-03-06, 05:49   Link #508
MistaYoH

This is my pencil line art.
My computer is not top of the line, in fact its quite a dunk. It's just a matter of how many layers you need to use. There is technically No such thing as professional software. People can produce great pieces with MS Paint (trust me i've seen some really amazing stuff).... it's just a matter of skill i guess...

Personally i already used.......... 70+ layers for this coloured version. Still working on it, scrapped hair (Kyonko) twice but here's the mid result.

http://i25.tinypic.com/v7rx2a.jpg

Kinda lazy to continue though....

Last edited by MistaYoH; 2008-03-06 at 06:03.
MistaYoH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 06:25   Link #509
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
...wait, why is the thread back to Asakura with a sword? Didn't I just post this morning on how it makes no sense for Asakura to use a sword when a knife is more efficient and Asakura aims to be efficient, being a data collection entity?
It seems the original artist has a lot of influence on our writer
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 06:30   Link #510
Rikimtasu

Send a message via MSN to Rikimtasu
We finally have Kunikida pic filled up~
Spoiler for Don't let Rena see this!:

Loved the original one by karlshic,when kyon meet kyonko:
Spoiler for Chinese!:

Last edited by Rikimtasu; 2008-03-06 at 07:01.
Rikimtasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 06:47   Link #511
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

I wasn't planning on pitching ideas, but you guys seem to be having trouble, so I'll chuck my $0.02 in.

The Fujoshi Computer Society could most efficiently be blackmailed by making it appear as if they were somehow forcing two men to enact their fantasies. I'm not sure exactly how this would work out, but maybe that'll get the ball rolling enough for someone to run with it.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 06:49   Link #512
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Well, why wouldn't he go for a top-of-the-line computer?

Like I said, meek little Mitsuru is still excellent extortion material. Thinking like Haruki, I can already imagine the headlines: "Sexually repressed computer club assaults weak, pretty boy"

Sexual assault is sexual assault, no matter which side of the gender its coming from.
My point was that the Fujoshi Computer Club may not have a top-of-the-line computer for him to take.

This is all predicated on the Genderswap Computer Club actually being genderswapped and focusing more on the stereotypical fujoshi hobbies, of course. If they're the Girls' Gaming Club instead, then yes, Haruki will be getting a good computer.

And I'm just not seeing the blackmail material as being that serious in the setting. Yes, sexual assault is sexual assault, but as I said, Haruhi assaults Mikuru just about every day, and it's seen as comedy. Heck, over in the Nanoha-verse, Hayate's "seku-hara" is apparently a harmless little quirk, rather than gross impropriety.

Is it unfair and inconsistent to the point of hypocrisy? I think so, but it's the setting we have to work with. I'm not saying that the "sexually-repressed girls molesting a boy" angle won't work, but it'll have to be very convincing on Haruki's part. In the canon, Haruhi just implied that the Computer Club was ganging up on Mikuru, and let societal biases do the threatening for her. For the genderswap, this may not really work, especially if we're using the image of the Female Computer Club as not being that unattractive.

I mean, be honest with yourself, guys: if you heard about a girl being molested and ganged up on by a group of guys, what would your first thought be? Now, if you heard about a guy being molested and ganged up on by a group of not unattractive girls, what would your first thought be?

Haruki is going to have to be very convincing, painting lurid details of horrors and backlash which will pretty much have to be over-exaggerated, and the girls of the Computer Club have to believe him.

This is one reason why I'm still seriously considering leaving the Computer Club male, because it's easier that way.
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 06:50   Link #513
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
I wasn't planning on pitching ideas, but you guys seem to be having trouble, so I'll chuck my $0.02 in.

The Fujoshi Computer Society could most efficiently be blackmailed by making it appear as if they were somehow forcing two men to enact their fantasies. I'm not sure exactly how this would work out, but maybe that'll get the ball rolling enough for someone to run with it.
You mean Haruki himself is going to "go down" on Mitsuuru?!
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 06:54   Link #514
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
You mean Haruki himself is going to "go down" on Mitsuuru?!
Nothing quite so explicit, but essentially that is what I was thinking. The trick, however, will be how to twist it to make it appear in photos that the FCS are the ones forcing them to do it.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 06:59   Link #515
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Haruki is going to have to be very convincing, painting lurid details of horrors and backlash which will pretty much have to be over-exaggerated, and the girls of the Computer Club have to believe him.

This is one reason why I'm still seriously considering leaving the Computer Club male, because it's easier that way.
Just thinking, if we leave the Computer Club male, who is Haruki going to use as his 'victim'?

Kyonko might be the first answer, but being nowhere near the doormat Mikuru is, I hardly think Kyonko is going to stick around with Haruki after such a traumatic event....

Except....what if Haruki uses Mitsuuru anyway? Oh wow...the 'gay' implications would be even worse for the Computer Club than when Haruhi used Mikuru...
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 07:03   Link #516
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
My point was that the Fujoshi Computer Club may not have a top-of-the-line computer for him to take.

This is all predicated on the Genderswap Computer Club actually being genderswapped and focusing more on the stereotypical fujoshi hobbies, of course. If they're the Girls' Gaming Club instead, then yes, Haruki will be getting a good computer.
Well, the thing is, we could have the girls be fans of Otome games and they do a bit of programing. We could easily them make them "better" than the Boys' Computer Club.

Also, in all seriousity, I don't think that even our Boys' Club is as serious about computers as the club name implies.

Quote:
I mean, be honest with yourself, guys: if you heard about a girl being molested and ganged up on by a group of guys, what would your first thought be? Now, if you heard about a guy being molested and ganged up on by a group of not unattractive girls, what would your first thought be?.
My thought: Poor kid, he's too cute for girls to resist.

If you haven't noticed, girl-on-boy harassment are getting a lot of notices these days, so our sencario isn't that much unconvincing.

Of course, we do have to make sure that we can make the cut.

Also, why does the girls have to be unattractive? We can turn the tables on the readers and make them a bunch of bishojos.
Old 2008-03-06, 07:13   Link #517
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:

This may be possible bias on my part, but seeing how I am surounded by girls that love gaming, I don't see the Girls Gaming Club as impossible.

Quote:
And I'm just not seeing the blackmail material as being that serious in the setting. Yes, sexual assault is sexual assault, but as I said, Haruhi assaults Mikuru just about every day, and it's seen as comedy. Heck, over in the Nanoha-verse, Hayate's "seku-hara" is apparently a harmless little quirk, rather than gross impropriety.

Is it unfair and inconsistent to the point of hypocrisy? I think so, but it's the setting we have to work with. I'm not saying that the "sexually-repressed girls molesting a boy" angle won't work, but it'll have to be very convincing on Haruki's part. In the canon, Haruhi just implied that the Computer Club was ganging up on Mikuru, and let societal biases do the threatening for her. For the genderswap, this may not really work, especially if we're using the image of the Female Computer Club as not being that unattractive.

I mean, be honest with yourself, guys: if you heard about a girl being molested and ganged up on by a group of guys, what would your first thought be? Now, if you heard about a guy being molested and ganged up on by a group of not unattractive girls, what would your first thought be?

What my first thought would be? Honestly? 'damn, lucky guy'

However, the blackmail is still possible, but the lane just has to be slightly different. To do this, we have to analyze Haruhi's reasons for choosing such blackmail methos, namely: what did the original computer club fear? The computer club most likely feared punishment, either the disbanding of their club or worse.

What would the female club fear? Disbanding of their club is far less likely, you're absolutely right, but what would happen is that their reputation would be permanently damaged. They'd be looked at as slutty girls by a lot of people, in their minds everyone.

Of course, on the other hand, leaving the Computer Club male would mean that Kyonko would the the target of harassment. Kyonko would react differently then Mikuru did.

I'm finding myself liking the idea of leaving them male all of a sudden.
Old 2008-03-06, 07:18   Link #518
Jintor

We genderbend the main cast, we genderbend the rest. Equal rights for bit parts, people!
Jintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 07:18   Link #519
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Of course, on the other hand, leaving the Computer Club male would mean that Kyonko would the the target of harassment. Kyonko would react differently then Mikuru did.

I'm finding myself liking the idea of leaving them male all of a sudden.
That Asakura Ryoto script sure is affecting everyone....
Old 2008-03-06, 07:25   Link #520
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
We genderbend the main cast, we genderbend the rest. Equal rights for bit parts, people!
Not genderbending the Computer Club = Kyonko fanservice.

Screw equal rights! Kyonko fanservice, people!

Jokes aside, Dkellis has a good point. For example, what about the baseball club? There a milions of ways where the comedy can work differently in those scenes if we leave them as they are, and yet become awkward if we genderbend them.

Tags
genderbender, seitenkan