AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2012-09-03, 08:49   Link #161
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Does it really matter one way or another? The problem with this show is that if you think and use your head, you can figure things out. Klein speculates that Kirito's Dual Blades (well, nitto-ryu would translate better as dual wielding, perhaps) is a Unique Skill, which means that someone else needs to have a unique skill, and be well known enough for that unique skill to be known.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-03, 08:57   Link #162
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Does it really matter one way or another? The problem with this show is that if you think and use your head, you can figure things out. Klein speculates that Kirito's Dual Blades (well, nitto-ryu would translate better as dual wielding, perhaps) is a Unique Skill, which means that someone else needs to have a unique skill, and be well known enough for that unique skill to be known.
I don't know... is that actually a bad thing? I mean... come next episode, I'm pretty sure people are gonna call hax on Heathcliff. I don't think the Heathcliff reveal is something that can easily be deduced by mere deduction. And, I think that, if up til now things can be speculated upon and can be right, it portrays good foreshadowing....

...and now I'm waiting when the usurper leader of The Army is revealed to be none other than That Guy....
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-03, 09:29   Link #163
Utsuro no Hako

As I mentioned in the other spoiler thread, I haven't seen anyone speculate that Kayaba is hiding in the game -- there was tons of discussion about what he's doing to elude capture, but no one's made what should be a fairly obvious leap of logic. Maybe that'll change after Heathcliff cheats, but other than Relentless Flame, Klashikari and a couple others, the anime-only viewers have been slow to notice that the story is full of clues to future events.

The one spoiler I'm worried will be deduced rather quickly is Yui's nature -- since her story's going to be a two parter, people will have an entire week to think about it, though I doubt they'll need more than an hour to notice that the mysterious girl with no memory appears in the OP where she's floating in some kind of digital realm -- hey, you think she might be an AI?
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-03, 09:33   Link #164
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
As I mentioned in the other spoiler thread, I haven't seen anyone speculate that Kayaba is hiding in the game -- there was tons of discussion about what he's doing to elude capture, but no one's made what should be a fairly obvious leap of logic. Maybe that'll change after Heathcliff cheats, but other than Relentless Flame, Klashikari and a couple others, the anime-only viewers have been slow to notice that the story is full of clues to future events.

The one spoiler I'm worried will be deduced rather quickly is Yui's nature -- since her story's going to be a two parter, people will have an entire week to think about it, though I doubt they'll need more than an hour to notice that the mysterious girl with no memory appears in the OP where she's floating in some kind of digital realm -- hey, you think she might be an AI?
I'm willing to bet $10 that people are gonna speculate that she's a child GM who happened to forget her memories. (which is right... somehow)
Old 2012-09-03, 10:16   Link #165
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post

I thought she was an AI from the beginning. It is a very common trope in sci-fi.

Last edited by chaos_alfa; 2012-09-03 at 10:26.
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-03, 11:02   Link #166
Divini
Senpai!

I thought the same the first time. Even if you don't, yes, the OP spoils it.

Besides, figuring out whether she's an AI or not beforehand doesn't really take away from her story.
Divini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-03, 12:46   Link #167
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronelm2000 View Post
I don't know... is that actually a bad thing? I mean... come next episode, I'm pretty sure people are gonna call hax on Heathcliff. I don't think the Heathcliff reveal is something that can easily be deduced by mere deduction. And, I think that, if up til now things can be speculated upon and can be right, it portrays good foreshadowing....

...and now I'm waiting when the usurper leader of The Army is revealed to be none other than That Guy....
I consider it a problem because the average viewer (as we've seen from the last 9 episode discussion threads) doesn't take the time to think and use their heads.

A-1 have for the most part been doing things fairly subtly, with a whole "show don't tell" methodology, which is great for those of us who've read the light novels and it's rewarding for those viewers who sit down and think.

But it's something that completely flies above the head of the average anime viewer with a short attention span.

It's like Clint Eastwood's speech where he called out Obama by having a conversation of sorts with an empty chair. That's a jab at Obama - he's made mistakes and screwed up, and the empty chair is a metaphor. Average american?

"LOLWHUT, some old dude is talking to an empty chair."

So yes, it is a problem of sorts, because the average viewer doesn't think, and expects things to be spoonfed to them.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2012-09-03, 13:44   Link #168
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
I consider it a problem because the average viewer (as we've seen from the last 9 episode discussion threads) doesn't take the time to think and use their heads.

A-1 have for the most part been doing things fairly subtly, with a whole "show don't tell" methodology, which is great for those of us who've read the light novels and it's rewarding for those viewers who sit down and think.

But it's something that completely flies above the head of the average anime viewer with a short attention span.

It's like Clint Eastwood's speech where he called out Obama by having a conversation of sorts with an empty chair. That's a jab at Obama - he's made mistakes and screwed up, and the empty chair is a metaphor. Average american?

"LOLWHUT, some old dude is talking to an empty chair."

So yes, it is a problem of sorts, because the average viewer doesn't think, and expects things to be spoonfed to them.
Everybody got the message, whether they agreed with it or not. The delivery was still crazy.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-03, 14:15   Link #169
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Everybody got the message, whether they agreed with it or not. The delivery was still crazy.
The idea was fine, the execution was poor.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-03, 19:30   Link #170
sky black swordman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divini View Post
I thought the same the first time. Even if you don't, yes, the OP spoils it.

Besides, figuring out whether she's an AI or not beforehand doesn't really take away from her story.
Oh yeah it does . Well the OP does have a bit of spoiler. But then again there is that "Guy" who in the OP looks like a good guy by putting him together with a real good guy like Klein. Oh yeah and Heathcliff too.

Last edited by sky black swordman; 2012-09-03 at 19:40.
sky black swordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-03, 19:39   Link #171
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
It couldn't be any crazier than reading Vol 1 (alone) right, which had NO prior forshadowing whatsoever, until Vol 2 came in....
Old 2012-09-03, 20:54   Link #172
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
The idea was fine, the execution was poor.
Are we talking about Eastwood or SAO?

Still, generally I'm of the opinion that the story has so far been done quite well, and the adaptation has generally stuck to the core essence of the LNs.

Also, I just realised that the scene with Egil in Murder Case, when the dejected player leaves after Egil negotiated sucessfully against him (Capitalism, ho!) was from volume one. I don't really mind, as thematically it makes sense to have that scene where we see Egil at his shop for the first time.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2012-09-03, 21:57   Link #173
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Are we talking about Eastwood or SAO?

Still, generally I'm of the opinion that the story has so far been done quite well, and the adaptation has generally stuck to the core essence of the LNs.

Also, I just realised that the scene with Egil in Murder Case, when the dejected player leaves after Egil negotiated sucessfully against him (Capitalism, ho!) was from volume one. I don't really mind, as thematically it makes sense to have that scene where we see Egil at his shop for the first time.
You had be laughing prematurely.

---

Well, about Egil (or was it Agil. damn this.), he's always on the lookout for players capable to be errm.... looted. I wonder why didn't Egil or Kirito mention anything about errm... the deal in the anime?
Old 2012-09-05, 17:50   Link #174
lightbringer
M9000

Agil actually turns around and uses the money he earns to help lower floor players, he barely profits himself. So even though it might look like he's a greedy bastard out to enrich himself in the game for personal satisfaction, and people make fun of him for that, he's actually one of the biggest altruists of SAO along with being among the most stable, mature players.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-05, 18:01   Link #175
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronelm2000 View Post
Well, about Egil (or was it Agil. damn this.), he's always on the lookout for players capable to be errm.... looted. I wonder why didn't Egil or Kirito mention anything about errm... the deal in the anime?
Pretty sure his name's supposed to be Agil, since his real name is Andrew Gilbert. He's almost as uncreative as Kirito. Not as bad as Asuna or Sinon though.
Old 2012-09-05, 18:23   Link #176
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Pretty sure his name's supposed to be Agil, since his real name is Andrew Gilbert. He's almost as uncreative as Kirito. Not as bad as Asuna or Sinon though.
Asuna is by far the worst. I don't see how Shino is as bad with Sinon though.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-05, 18:27   Link #177
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
Asuna is by far the worst. I don't see how Shino is as bad with Sinon though.
There's no distinction between 'si' and 'shi' in Japanese, so she just put an 'n' at the end of her real name.
Old 2012-09-05, 19:37   Link #178
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Oh God... these naming conventions...

Well, it isn't any different from how uncreative my username came from though.
Old 2012-09-06, 01:51   Link #179
Divini
Senpai!

To be fair, their 'uncreative usernames using their real name' still sound pretty good.

Other people (like me) can't make a cool-sounding name from their real name.
Divini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 16:11   Link #180
lightbringer
M9000

Maybe I was expecting too much - anime-only viewers haven't really picked up so far on the duel glitch. People are instead praising the portrayal of shield users. Although the anime kind of toned down that moment... a lot... so that on first glance it looks like Heathcliff won based on skill alone. The only indicator that something is off is his facial expression afterwards.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote