AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Muv-Luv Franchise > Total Eclipse

Notices

Old 2012-07-17, 03:57   Link #981
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usami_Haru View Post
This would be true for any other VN than MLA which runs on the legendary engine RugP. Everything moves and jumps around the scene, characters are positioned at different depts, and their words are lip-synced.
Oh sure, things move, but I'm playing the games right now and it's hardly detailed movements and often just sort of repetitive sequences. That's not dissing it or anything, for a VN it's very impressive, but it's not really animation. More like illustrations that move.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 04:00   Link #982
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Finally watched ep3. I can admit the problems with the animation, especially at range, but it isn't the whole time. Could be a whole lot worse. Besides, that mock battle was awesome with the glorious CGI... Then again, I'm quite biased since Stella appeared too. Elite Swede is Elite. And delicious Russians.

So far, still loving it.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 04:06   Link #983
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Oh my.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xs7...ing_shortfilms
Old 2012-07-17, 04:07   Link #984
grevierr
The Lovable SuBiTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Regarding the rate of replacement for the population in the setting... With how things are going, I'm kind of surprised things haven't gone quite like how it is in Cthulhu Tech, where morals have relaxed to the point where people don't even blink anymore when middle-to-high school age kids, you know. This is doubly surprising, given the franchise's roots as an eroge.

Edit: Tsk, even as a non-franchise fan trying her best to catch up on its info, there's so much I can't even say even off-hand. Subforum where?!?
The other threads are here. Be warned, here be Heavy spoilers.

Muv-Luv Franchise: Military Tactics, History, & Geo-Politics
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=113316
Muv-Luv (Game & General Franchise)
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=91180

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt. Run in little circles, wave your arms and shout.

Last edited by grevierr; 2012-07-17 at 04:28.
grevierr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 04:40   Link #985
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
grevierr: If you haven't noticed, I regularly browse both threads. The thing is though, while I don't mind spoilers on the setting (the more info I get the better), others won't, and the two threads are almost 100% pure-grade spoiler. They're Q&A threads, for all practical purposes.
Old 2012-07-17, 04:44   Link #986
DoomRavager

http://type94.wordpress.com/2012/07/...tor-switch-up/

A bunch of tweet translations, clarifications, and outright speculation about the director credits switch thing.
DoomRavager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 04:54   Link #987
grevierr
The Lovable SuBiTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
grevierr: If you haven't noticed, I regularly browse both threads. The thing is though, while I don't mind spoilers on the setting (the more info I get the better), others won't, and the two threads are almost 100% pure-grade spoiler. They're Q&A threads, for all practical purposes.
My Bad, I just noticed your nick, turned off images while at work

You're kinda right, more or less the other two boards are for those who like to talk science, or those who played the VNs. Since it has almost 10 years of history before having an anime, lots of us are kinda excited about it, and having new blood to speak to, lol.

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt. Run in little circles, wave your arms and shout.
Old 2012-07-17, 05:20   Link #988
Craxuan
Crax
*Author

Well, 1 Muv Luv Alternative fan here coming up.

Number 1. With the exception of Yui (and maybe her rival?), her surrounding friends before the beginning of everything seemed to be uh, how to say? Over relaxed? A little too optimistic for the environment they're supposed to be in?

Number 2. It's probably just me, but the scenes where her friends died seemed really... meh. Weak. I had expectations after reading through some reviews describing bloodiness and horror, but... the atmosphere didn't even feel tragic for some reason. Probably just me. >_>

Number 3. 2 pilots disobeyed orders and engaged in unauthorized training battle and almost crashed a plane of five (or four?) people, 2 of them an elite pilot and an experienced mechanic. Nothing happens to guilty pilots. Huh?

Number 4. The mock battle scenes seemed pretty well done for a 2 on 2. The elite pilots fight like one, but it looks to me that they're aren't serious, hence why posters above might feel that it's lackluster. Hobbit hopping all around the place screaming was extremely annoying to endure, but well. Like Yui said, Top Gun's performance is pretty disappointing. I had no idea how he got himself reversed in a sure win situation during that final melee combat. That flashback reason of his better be good.
Old 2012-07-17, 06:07   Link #989
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
They have a lot of catching up to do in terms of all-male shower scenes, but otherwise, nice fit.
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 06:28   Link #990
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
It already happened twice (Episode 1's slice-of-life followed by Episode 2's NOMFEST followed by Episode 3's less bloody interactions), and since this is supposedly a two-cour series, they should try to refrain from doing that cycle of mood changes too often. If they do another BETA battle next episode, people would notice the pattern and give out expectations accordingly.

i.e. It would get stale.
Nah, they'd just have to vary the times between 'normal life' and when the 'OMG BETA rush!' begins. Maybe one time they'd have a VERY long while before an upcoming mission, and maybe another the BETA ambushes within an episode or three. That way the audience is kept guessing as to when the BETA will (and not if) come back.

It's like every other mecha genre. There's always gonna be 'down time' and 'action time', and the success of how an anime transitions from one to another is all up to the creative minds behind it.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 06:53   Link #991
grevierr
The Lovable SuBiTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craxuan View Post
Well, 1 Muv Luv Alternative fan here coming up.

Number 1. With the exception of Yui (and maybe her rival?), her surrounding friends before the beginning of everything seemed to be uh, how to say? Over relaxed? A little too optimistic for the environment they're supposed to be in?

Number 2. It's probably just me, but the scenes where her friends died seemed really... meh. Weak. I had expectations after reading through some reviews describing bloodiness and horror, but... the atmosphere didn't even feel tragic for some reason. Probably just me. >_>
Nah, some of us felt that way too. I would just like to say that war always seem far away for children that live in civilization, until its right at their door step. That's why they still act lke children, protected by adults from the realities of life.

For the death scenes, it might have been in an effort to cut down on the impact on screen deaths to fit the more sensitive audience. Personnally I was looking forward seeing a TSF get eaten by tank class, firing while going down, while the team mates hear the increasingly desperate screams of the pilot.

Quote:
Number 3. 2 pilots disobeyed orders and engaged in unauthorized training battle and almost crashed a plane of five (or four?) people, 2 of them an elite pilot and an experienced mechanic. Nothing happens to guilty pilots. Huh?
It was an planned test flight that escalated into an impromptu dogfight. There is an After Action Report about this in the manga. Maybe it was cut from the anime for time constraints.

Quote:
Number 4. The mock battle scenes seemed pretty well done for a 2 on 2. The elite pilots fight like one, but it looks to me that they're aren't serious, hence why posters above might feel that it's lackluster. Hobbit hopping all around the place screaming was extremely annoying to endure, but well. Like Yui said, Top Gun's performance is pretty disappointing. I had no idea how he got himself reversed in a sure win situation during that final melee combat. That flashback reason of his better be good.
I got issues with this too. Its too much like having a figure on a stick and just moving it around with some thruster visual effects, which is pretty obvious when they hover to talk to each other. No gravity and inertial laws were obeyed, no wall jump to quickely swtich directions, as shown in the manga.

About the Yui thing, thats becuase TG jumped over the simulated BETA laser class line, which no experienced pilot would ever want to do (hence the tough decision remark), and then he boosted about his skills.

Its like a war vet who had some buddies who were blown up by arty, watch a soldier who only experienced war games call down stimulated arty fire on his fellow trainees that are in engagement with the op force, and boost about being the best because he won. Instant recommendation for court marshal in that case.

Old 2012-07-17, 07:21   Link #992
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevierr View Post

Its like a war vet who had some buddies who were blown up by arty, watch a soldier who only experienced war games call down stimulated arty fire on his fellow trainees that are in engagement with the op force, and boost about being the best because he won. Instant recommendation for court marshal in that case.
Well his commander didn't see it as an immediate problem. There are ways to handle the situation. She did not handle it properly.
Old 2012-07-17, 07:24   Link #993
DoomRavager

Maybe if them TSFs had made use of quick boost jumps between cover instead of flying all the time. Might have made them feel more hefty. Tactical decision? Perhaps. Still.

Anyway, proper scans of earlier magazine page photos.

Images
Big images, one somewhat NSFW
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2012-07-17, 07:45   Link #994
encia

Quote:
That's... interesting... LOL..

Last edited by encia; 2012-07-17 at 08:01.
encia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 08:24   Link #995
Panzerklein
In cash we trust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomRavager View Post
Maybe if them TSFs had made use of quick boost jumps between cover instead of flying all the time. Might have made them feel more hefty. Tactical decision? Perhaps. Still.

Anyway, proper scans of earlier magazine page photos.

Images
Big images, one somewhat NSFW
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
If I don't wrong, these scans are posted at third time.
Old 2012-07-17, 08:46   Link #996
DoomRavager

Not at this high resolution they weren't. I think.
Old 2012-07-17, 09:09   Link #997
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Amusing enough, but IMO it can't beat the Macross Plus rendition.

Still, once the show is done, I expect a better Danger Zone AMV will appear.

As for Yui and Yuuya's first meeting... Yuuya's carrying baggage from being mixed race and getting picked on as a child, which I can understand as I'm also mixed race myself. Note how his reaction to being addressed by Yui - he doesn't want to talk to her, and is immediately unhappy, but he tries to cover that up with American Fighter Jock bravado, only to get cut down by Yui.

Yui, on the other hand... we can't really see into her mind, but my guess is seeing Yuuya's confidence probably reminds her of her friends and how they all got killed in short order, so she has an instant dislike, and so moves to cut him down. That, and they're both not happy to be there, it seems.

As for him calling her a Japanese Doll, he's probably thinking of those pretty Japanese dolls that are stored in glass cases - he sees how pretty Yui is, and so calling her a Japanese Doll is the first nickname that comes to mind; his tone, however, makes it quite clear that while he recognises her beauty, he doesn't care for her at all.

Also, a random bit of trivia: Sayaka Ohara voices Stella. This is the second time this year she's voicing a Scandinavian action girl with a huge rack, the first being Valmet from Jormungand.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 09:27   Link #998
sa547
*Author

^

I couldn't believe it... 80% of ASEAN is STRONG!
Old 2012-07-17, 09:36   Link #999
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Well, look at the surviving nations, SA. You've got Thailand, Indonesia, Phillipines, Malaysia, Singapore and Brunei. Brunei provides the oil, and the initial five are the biggest nations economically and militarily in ASEAN IRL.

I've heard, though I need confirming on this, that the BETA are stalled in Thailand thanks to the Thais, Malaysians, Singaporeans and Indonesians, and the Filipinos, together with the USN and USMC, are keeping the BETA in Vietnam locked down.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 11:14   Link #1000
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
^

I couldn't believe it... 80% of ASEAN is STRONG!
Maybe because its a huge island. I remember reading here in this thread that BETA can't fly and can't swim but can walk underwater.

And looking at the battle with episode 2.

It looks like they are only marching/walking. They don't much fast but move in massive number together. They are holding them in lands and and even before they get on land. At first I was confused why they are attacking an enemy that can't be seen when they attacking the sea. But the BETA are walking under the sea.

Tags
action, aliens, mecha, romance, science fiction, seinen