AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2020-07-09, 06:50   Link #861
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I suspect his meaning was six digits - as in, hundreds of thousands.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-09, 07:26   Link #862
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Oops yeah I mean six digits.

That being said, aside from private services, ambulances here are free if they're under the local government unit.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-09, 09:06   Link #863
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
It's almost exclusively an American (read: Trump) thing.
Actually there were anti-mask movements during the 1918 influenza pandemic as well.

https://www.businessinsider.com/san-...andemic-2020-5
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-09, 10:00   Link #864
kari-no-sugata II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
So what does it mean? Better treatment, improved testing, or horrible surprise in a few days?
A couple of non-obvious ideas from my own analysis of UK data:
1) It's useful to differentiate between "date of sample" and "date of death" and the day it is reported at. If confirmed COVID-19 deaths can take say a week on average to be announced then the "current" picture is basically out of date by a week. In general this means that when things are getting worse then the current situation looks better than what it truly is and when things are getting better then the current situation looks worse than it truly is.

2) Changes in the rate of testing can skew things. For example, early on in the pandemic in the UK you could take the confirmed cases and predict about 20% of those would lead to deaths 5 days from then on average. (These were hospital tests for inpatients, not the general population. Also this was based on the actual sample date and date of death, not the reporting date). However, as testing ramped up and expanded this simple correlation shifted quite a lot.

3) If a high percentage of the population is regularly being tested then cases are likely being detected earlier on average. Meaning that the gap between a test and death is increasing on average. (It would be interesting to see if the correlation between hospitalisations and deaths is more consistent than the correlation between confirmed cases and deaths).

There's various other factors that might be involved as well. For example, improved treatments could leave to better survival deaths or at least bigger gaps between a patient arriving in hospital and their date of dearth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I attribute it mostly to the changing demographics of who is being infected and better treatment.

Also a substantial portion of the earlier deaths have occurred in prisons and in facilities for the elderly. As of a week or so ago, half the deaths in Florida had occurred in nursing homes and assisted-living facilities. These kinds of institutional epidemics still matter, but there are more people becoming infected from mask-less public interactions, and more of them are younger.
Yep. The kinda "golden standard" for comparisons between regions or countries (as far as I am aware) is age corrected (or demographically corrected) excess mortality.
kari-no-sugata II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-09, 16:25   Link #865
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Actually there were anti-mask movements during the 1918 influenza pandemic as well.

https://www.businessinsider.com/san-...andemic-2020-5
There are "mask slackers" in every country today, too (including Japan, as I can verify). But that's not the same thing as the political wedge issue it's become this time. This is like during the middle ages when people refused to wear masks during plague outbreaks because that wasn't a Christian teaching.
Old 2020-07-09, 19:56   Link #866
The Green One

All the while people suffer and die while because a group of people are being stupid, selfish, and pigheaded.
Old 2020-07-09, 21:34   Link #867
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Unlike the flu seasons we have had in my lifetime, I've not known anyone who has died or had family members who have died from the flu.

I do know at least one person who's had family die from COVID-19.
Old 2020-07-10, 12:20   Link #868
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Unlike the flu seasons we have had in my lifetime, I've not known anyone who has died or had family members who have died from the flu.
Fortunately, this is good for you and your family. Unfortunately, many of the common laypersons think the flu is nothing. Doing a quick Dr. Google check, average about 200k people are hospitalized for infuenza and last year alone, I think ~50k died from the flu or problems secondary to the flu. I've taken care of some sick patients with the flu in the hospital and it is no joke. This is part why covid was probably initially taken lightly because it is "similar" to the flu in some ways, but in many other ways it is not.

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-12, 10:13   Link #869
The Green One

So now demands from Trump are coming in to open schools this fall, under the implication of a threat to withhold federal funding for districts that do not comply. Threatening children and teacher's safeties during a pandemic, implying further defunding of an already underfunded school system which further cripples children's educations. All during an election literally months away.....

Putting voters children at risk is not going to help..... I can't help but think parents are going to crucify Trump for this at the polls unless he manages to distract and make them forget about this with something else in the next few months.

Still what can schools do with the corona virus raging on? I imagine it can't be easy to do online classes, especially for low income families. It's got to be tough raising a child this year. Hopefully some sort of solution can be found that doesn't involve putting children at further risk of sickness and death.
Old 2020-07-12, 11:33   Link #870
James Rye

15000 cases in Florida in one day, damn, that is a lot. If even only 5% of them get real sick to need to go to a hospital that is still 750 people in one day in need of a bed or even an ICU. There is no way all hospitals can answer that call at once if that is the case.
Old 2020-07-12, 13:00   Link #871
EroKing

‘Coronavirus Particles Can Remain Infectious in Air for Over an Hour’.
Old 2020-07-12, 14:57   Link #872
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
So now demands from Trump are coming in to open schools this fall, under the implication of a threat to withhold federal funding for districts that do not comply. Threatening children and teacher's safeties during a pandemic, implying further defunding of an already underfunded school system which further cripples children's educations. All during an election literally months away.....

Putting voters children at risk is not going to help..... I can't help but think parents are going to crucify Trump for this at the polls unless he manages to distract and make them forget about this with something else in the next few months.

Still what can schools do with the corona virus raging on? I imagine it can't be easy to do online classes, especially for low income families. It's got to be tough raising a child this year. Hopefully some sort of solution can be found that doesn't involve putting children at further risk of sickness and death.
Far be it from me to agree with Trump, but kids need to go to school. And they're the least at risk from the Covid, or even of contaminating others.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-12, 15:07   Link #873
The Green One

I can at the very least agree that education is a deeply important issue, it just doesn't feel right to make children and the school staff to risk themselves like this. Social distancing is great and all but it can only do so much in a classroom setting.

But I concede that continuing as we have is not an answer either. The more time that passes the more catch up that is required. Forcing physical presence at the schools isn't safe either.

It's a tough situation without an obvious answer. Opening the schools is one thing, but I'm not hearing a concrete plan to keep the attendees safe. Or at least minimize the risks as much as possible since complete safety is simply impossible.
Old 2020-07-12, 15:25   Link #874
Key Board
Carbon

It's a bit vague.

I assume it means it can be infectious if there's enough viral load, and in some airborne instances it has been.

But yes, it seems to confirm our suspicions that closed buildings + recycled air -> less dilution -> more viral load

TLDR: wear a mask in public buildings, so you can catch most of own your particles. Have some empathy.

//
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell

Last edited by Key Board; 2020-07-12 at 18:12.
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-12, 16:02   Link #875
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
It's a tough situation without an obvious answer. Opening the schools is one thing, but I'm not hearing a concrete plan to keep the attendees safe. Or at least minimize the risks as much as possible since complete safety is simply impossible.
The concrete plan was get the situation under control before summer break ended. But seeing as how this administration has completely vomited over themselves with this that's no longer feasible.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-12, 16:39   Link #876
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

A lot of teachers are worried about their own safety in the classrooms and who it to be responsible for cleaning surfaces. And activities where schools share materials between multiple students.

Also the conditions are different depending on the age range of the children involved.

Plus their are safety protocols that are in direct opposition to Covid protocols.
Old 2020-07-12, 17:49   Link #877
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Far be it from me to agree with Trump, but kids need to go to school. And they're the least at risk from the Covid, or even of contaminating others.
They’re a huge risk for contaminating others. In Japan they call them “asymptomatic super-spreaders”.
Old 2020-07-12, 18:06   Link #878
The Green One

The US apparently has at least 3mil confirmed Cov-19 cases at this point and climbing.
Old 2020-07-12, 20:51   Link #879
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Last I checked (some days ago now) the US was roughly on par with all of Europe in terms of number of cases and deaths.
Old 2020-07-12, 21:26   Link #880
kari-no-sugata II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Last I checked (some days ago now) the US was roughly on par with all of Europe in terms of number of cases and deaths.
Europe should definitely be ahead in terms of total number of deaths. Though, that could change fairly quickly.

In terms of confirmed cases, USA is way ahead. (More of a side-effect of Europe being hit before testing had really been ramped up).

PS I've seen some sites include all of Russia in "Europe". Who the heck decided that? I wouldn't say I found a trustworthy summary of the US compared to Europe...
kari-no-sugata II is offline   Reply With Quote