AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2020-04-15, 12:09   Link #1
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quest-type fantasy

I'm looking for some good fantasies leaning more on the quest style. You can sort of divide common fantasy/sci-fi stories into two camps, let's call them "quest" and "adventure". Adventure type stories have a character/party wandering of their own accord, with little to no clear motive to which they're really dedicated. Plenty of big bads appear, and there may be an eventual ultimate evil they know they'll eventually have to face, but this is very distant, maybe not even taken seriously, and in general the party's actions are just based on more immediate things. Konosuba is a great example, but tons of series lean in this direction. Quest types, on the other hand, have a very clear-cut goal to which the party is constantly working. There may be "leveling" portions and resource gathering, but they've got a purpose, perhaps a villain to defeat, and they dont lose sight of it. In anime, Rayearth would be an old classic example, and of course outside Japanese media Lord of the Rings is practically the codifier for this in the modern day. Still, please keep it to light novels, manga and anime.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-15, 14:52   Link #2
Tenzen12

Wrong way using healing magic and Defeating demon lord's a cinch come to mind.
Old 2020-04-16, 05:32   Link #3
0cean
Transfer Adventurer

How much fantasy does it have to be, does JoJo Part 3 work, where the party goes to Egypt to kill Dio? There's also Rokka no Yuusha, but the anime kind of leaves you hanging after the first steps of getting the quest going. A shame, since that was one awesome anime.
Old 2020-04-16, 09:40   Link #4
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Never seen Jojo, Rokka is a great fit (I hear the LN goes all the way if I can find it translated). I'll have to check out those other two.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-16, 10:57   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Junni Kokuki ("The Twelve Kingdoms")
Seirei no Moribito ("Moribito, Guardian of the Spirit")

The goal is clearer in Juuni Kokuki, while in Moribito it begins simply as an effort to evade the Emperor's assassins. Things get clarified as the story unfolds.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-18, 07:59   Link #6
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Dorohedoro is a fantasy that is very heavy on the quest, albeit a bit deceptively so.

There's also Made in Abyss, though it would be more accurate to say that it is a quest driven adventure.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-18, 08:28   Link #7
wuhugm
Confused Shark

Shoujo ga Tabidatta Sono Ato de <After The Girl Escaped>

MC is investigating Ruins and Relics belonging to past Holy People to find a way home
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-18, 08:38   Link #8
AnimeFangirl

Tower of Druaga
Granblue Fantasy
Old 2020-04-18, 12:01   Link #9
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Actually Somali and the Forest Spirit fits the quest motif.
Spoiler:

Forgot about it the first time around. Took looking at my avatar to remind me that it fit!
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote