AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2010-01-27, 17:17   Link #561
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Anyone have good defensive tips?
Don't even try to keep getting to tenpai if someone richi'es, you are in rianshanten or more and you are in the second half of the game, or if you are in ishhanten on more and in the last third of the game. Just bail. You will reduce the number of times you feed someone elses hand astronomically.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-29, 00:27   Link #562
Dasaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Don't even try to keep getting to tenpai if someone richi'es, you are in rianshanten or more and you are in the second half of the game, or if you are in ishhanten on more and in the last third of the game. Just bail. You will reduce the number of times you feed someone elses hand astronomically.
What is rianshanten and ishhanten? I'm guessing that's 1 tile away from tenpai?
Dasaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-29, 00:48   Link #563
Proto

Yup. rianshanten: 2 tiles from tenpai, 1shanten 1 tile for tenpai.
Old 2010-01-30, 23:46   Link #564
Dasaru

Here's a game you don't see often. We actually went to West wind.

http://tenhou.net/0?log=2010013113gm...-1b50a1a6&tw=0

And yea, I really jacked that up at the end... I should have won! XD
Old 2010-01-31, 00:41   Link #565
Avisch
Reality Blender

I was taught the basics of mahjong last year, and I've been trying to use Tenhou to get more of a grip on the rules.There are still a few things I'm confused on.

What is the significance of the dora?

There are times when I can't declare tsumo or ron, even though I have 4 sets (pon/chi/kan) and 1 eye. My 4 sets have all been declared but my eye apparently aren't valid for tsumo/ron (like 2 ).

And what happens when you disconnect from Tenhou in the middle of a session? There are times when I've had to leave abruptly.

One crazy B****
Avisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-31, 01:08   Link #566
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avisch View Post
And what happens when you disconnect from Tenhou in the middle of a session? There are times when I've had to leave abruptly.
You start to discard all draws. Even if you're in Tenpai and clicked Tsumokiri, you won't be able to win until you get back in.
Malintex_Terek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-31, 01:14   Link #567
Proto

Quote:
e are times when I can't declare tsumo or ron, even though I have 4 sets (pon/chi/kan) and 1 eye. My 4 sets have all been declared but my eye apparently aren't valid for tsumo/ron (like 2 ).
You have to have at least one yaku on your on hand. That is, there must be some special combination or condition your hand must meet in order to declare a win. This is made in order to reduce the luck factor in the game. For more about Yaku's and han's, check this page

Quote:
What is the significance of the dora?
Each dora tile you get counts as an extra han for your han. So for example, if you had a 6 han hand, a haneman, as a nondealer you'd get 12000 points. However if you have 2 doras, your hand would be boosted to a 8-han hand, a baiman, that's 18000 points.

Long story short, they increase the value of your hand.
Old 2010-01-31, 01:14   Link #568
Avisch
Reality Blender

Proto: Looks like I need to read up more. Thanks for the quick response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
You start to discard all draws. Even if you're in Tenpai and clicked Tsumokiri, you won't be able to win until you get back in.
LOL. I was more worried about the idea of the game having to reset for everyone else still present, due to my absence.

So it just plays as you were still there....only not deciding which tiles to put down and all?

One crazy B****
Avisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-31, 02:09   Link #569
einhorn303

If you're not familiar with some basic rules or concepts of the game, I recommend you not play online vs other live players. It can be very frustrating to some. Also, quitting before a game is over unbalances things, and can ruin the game for some (since the logic of whether people will bail/defend is thrown off).

You can play against computer opponents online at http://www.gamedesign.jp/flash/mahjong/mahjong_e.html
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-01, 16:00   Link #570
thenightsshadow

Thanks for that link. I've been looking (admittedly not very hard) for somewhere to practice Riichi Mahjong.

Edit:
When you're new, you tend to celebrate each win.

I'm still not used to the "fan" requirements, so it'll take me a bit before I can ever join you guys in Tenhou.

Last edited by thenightsshadow; 2010-02-01 at 19:17.
thenightsshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 19:22   Link #571
whitepearl
Dietrich fan #681675

Send a message via AIM to whitepearl Send a message via MSN to whitepearl
Tenhou made some changes while I was away from the game...scores are now rounded to the nearest tenth instead of nearest one?

Twitter
whitepearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-20, 20:51   Link #572
Dasaru

OMG!! The last round of this game is crazy... You should have seen my reaction in this game... totally insane.

http://tenhou.net/0?log=2010022110gm...-716ed60c&tw=2

Almost turned into some Saki the player shinanigans.
Old 2010-02-27, 04:51   Link #573
Peanutbutter

90 more points to 5th-Dan. Can I do it? Will Tenhou allow me to get it?

And, there's the "Saki Cup" coming soon in Tenhou, on the 6th of March. Competition open to all. As my limited understanding tells me, all you need to do is play 5 games, all East games, Tanyao permitted and with red doras within an 8 hours period.

Who's game?

EDIT:

Yes. YEs! YEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

Last edited by Peanutbutter; 2010-02-27 at 05:59.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-03, 13:39   Link #574
thenightsshadow

I find that I can't call Chii or Pon on a lot of the tiles the person to my right plays. Is this a flaw in the programming or is that really a rule?
Old 2010-03-03, 13:58   Link #575
Blayne Barudorii

I usually play at http://mahjongtime.com/ I'll check out the above links provided in the OP, does anyone here arrange for preplanned games for forum members? I think that could be cool.

Currently I'm pretty good at usually coming in 2nd or 3rd place avoiding last and sometimes getting into first and memorized about most of the 1-3 yaku hands but I haven't begun to try understanding the scoring system or counting points and try to gain as many as possible.

Does adding yaku's increase the number of points you can make? For example declaring riichi even though your hand would work without riichi?

Example: Chun Chun Chun 1-sou 2-sou 3-sou ton ton ton 1-pin 1-pin 2-pin 2-pin 3-pin

Thus waiting 1 or 2 pin so I declare riichi by discarding the 3-pin, chun pon provides my yaku but say my wind was ton thus 2 yaku and by declaring riichi 3-yaku.

Does having 3 yaku increase my points? So far I've been doing this in the hopes it does but sometimes I win with really cruddy amount of points. ~3000

Thanks.

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
Okay I was worried for a moment and then I checked out the bottom link and yay english explanation of the site since I can't read Japanese, and wow thats cool, '.su' webaddress? Soviet Union? Awesome to see people using it, I was considering getting a .su domain myself.
- "I used to think spells equaled power, too. Back when I was alive... You know what equals power? Power equals power. Crazy huh? ... If you can lose it by blowing two will saves then you never had power to begin with." - Xykon's much needed Hannibal Lecture to Varsuvius.

If your interested in an Oots style avatar please feel free to PM me and we can work out the details then.
Blayne Barudorii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-03, 18:04   Link #576
Peanutbutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenightsshadow View Post
I find that I can't call Chii or Pon on a lot of the tiles the person to my right plays. Is this a flaw in the programming or is that really a rule?
You can only call Chii from the tiles the person on your left throws.

For Pon, it's everybody else.
Old 2010-03-03, 23:42   Link #577
thenightsshadow

Oh. Now I get it.

I didn't see that rule during my first pass...

Oh, and another thing. I got Nagashi Mangan at the tenpai stage and didn't get credit for it. Is that not a natural thing to accomplish (that it's not there) or is that mainly a house rule?
Old 2010-03-04, 01:54   Link #578
Proto

One of the restrictions for Nagashi mangan is that none of your tiles must have been called by someone else.
Old 2010-03-04, 02:04   Link #579
thenightsshadow

Oh, right. Completely forgot about that. My White Dragon got Punged.
Old 2010-03-06, 04:26   Link #580
Peanutbutter

Lol, the Tenhou server crashed.

And I was in the middle of my 2nd game in the Saki Cup.

Final result for my first competition at Tenhou:

Played 24 games in total. Highest score for 5 consecutive matches = +127

+59.0+50.0-16.0+47.0-13.0 = +127

Final position should be around 1600+. At one point, I was over 9,000.

I'm pleased, although it could be better. I had a few matches where I ended up in 3rd, though I had the same points total as the 2nd place...

Last edited by Peanutbutter; 2010-03-06 at 12:10.

Tags
mahjong