AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-04-27, 17:25   Link #221
HandofFate

04 was entertaining, even if I really get annoyed by political drama.
Lots of stuff happened this episode.
This is the kind of stuff I expect to take 3 episodes.

episode 1) learn about the church drama
episode 2) ritual hijinks
episode 3) where this episode ended, and the rest in this episode.

I actually like it, it didn't feel rushed to me even if a lot of stuff happened. I predicted the ring wasn't going to be there, and was right. They even had assassins there at the end waiting. Sneaky.

They definitely deserve some wind blades pointed in their direction. Sun King had very little screentime this episode. Pretty much all Nike.

Al though this series isn't a reverse harem, Nike reminds of this other series with a female MC.
Set in ancient china, and starts off as a concubine.

Last edited by HandofFate; 2014-04-27 at 18:56.
HandofFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-27, 20:56   Link #222
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
Anyplace with air can have wind. Wind is just air moving in response to differences in pressure, so if her power has something to do with creating an air pressure imbalance, she can create wind.

This concludes my nerd moment of the day...
My line of thinking was that maybe there would have needed to be a certain degree of movement already present in the air, and all she has the power to do is to direct it. Like when she was in the temple and cut the papist's stick in half it was by channeling wind from outside.

But we'll probably find that it's a moot point in episode 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Best move ever by the Priesthood. If they kill Nike, the Sun King would have annihilated every last one of them, burned their temples, sowed salt on the charred ruins, and wiped all mention of them off from the face of history. If they fail, which they will, he now has an excuse to dramatically reduce their power even further.

Amateurs.
Ha you got this figured out better than I do. Of course, the other danger is that the Priesthood would try to pre-empt the king like the Islamicists got rid of the Shah. That would be an interesting fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
Al though this series isn't a reverse harem, Nike reminds of this other series with a female MC.
During the Yuan dynasty there was this Korean woman who ended up becoming the emperor's favorite concubine and she held a huge amount of power.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-27, 22:52   Link #223
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
My line of thinking was that maybe there would have needed to be a certain degree of movement already present in the air, and all she has the power to do is to direct it.
Theoretically speaking she only needs a difference in temperature (hot and cold air) to make wind, remember how conveniently she lit the current room edges with her torch, mhhhh (no, haven't read the manga, don't shoot).

Quote:
Ha you got this figured out better than I do. Of course, the other danger is that the Priesthood would try to pre-empt the king like the Islamicists got rid of the Shah. That would be an interesting fight.
Quite unlikely IMO since it seems this world is similar to the world in full metal alchemist, where Abrahamic religions never became popular and they have something similar to Roman/Greek pagan gods, which AFAIK never called for any kind of holy war/purge.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-27, 23:05   Link #224
GundamZZ
残念美人

Quote:

During the Yuan dynasty there was this Korean woman who ended up becoming the emperor's favorite concubine and she held a huge amount of power.
I think the HandoOfFate is referring to the nudist king in Magi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
Theoretically speaking she only needs a difference in temperature (hot and cold air) to make wind, remember how conveniently she lit the current room edges with her torch, mhhhh (no, haven't read the manga, don't shoot).

Ah...the forumla of Thermodynamics. The reiterated relationship of pressure, temperature and volume is such a brain teaser.

Another possible is Nike is going to show off her royal CQC. On the other hand, the ass kicking is too shounene manga. This anime is supposedly shoujo manga. So, Nike is more likely to run away...on her high heels.
天啓のシスティーナ Sistina of Apocalypse
愛憎のロクサーヌ Roxanne of distinguished love and hate
万有のルテーシア Lutécia of everything
塵喰いのカサンドラ Cassandra of eating dust
GundamZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-27, 23:23   Link #225
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer

So umm... Bad egg priest's moonlight hobby is embroidery. Omoshiroi.

Enjoyed ep 5. I like how Nike and Livi want to protect each other. It's refreshing to see how fast they roll with their roles and get to the point. Bring on more sweetness my OTP. I approve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
You mean "Saiunkoku Monogatari"? (That one was nice but.... I got bored.)
Grifis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-27, 23:52   Link #226
ginger02

Nice little episode 4. Loving Nike and most of the characters.
ginger02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-28, 23:46   Link #227
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Quote:
I don't think she can make wind. I think she simply has the ability to manipulate any air current (i.e. wind) that's currently there. So if there's no natural wind there, she's powerless.

There is an interesting post from one of the scanlators of the manga clarifying that Livi was officially stated to be 15-yrs old in chapter 13 of the manga but then somehow people are seeing in raws in chapter 40 that he's 12-yrs old...so maybe some mistake on either the mangaka's side or whomever reading the raw. I hope the anime will clearly indicate soon what their ages are...I don't think anyone really knows Nike's age yet.

[/TH][/TR][/table]
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-29, 01:32   Link #228
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreSage View Post
I don't think she can make wind. I think she simply has the ability to manipulate any air current (i.e. wind) that's currently there. So if there's no natural wind there, she's powerless.
Any air current? Does breathing count?

"Your breath shall not leave your mouth!"
"Oh no. What am I going to do with all the excess CO2." *Faints*

Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-29, 02:16   Link #229
Ickarium

I think it likely it's more than manipulating air current, for one reason.

Remember, that land is supposed to be pretty dry. They need good irrigation - they mention this in the first episode.

Yeah, there's water in all air (you never truly have 0%), but gathering all that water into a huge raincloud is ... unlikely, to the extreme unless she basically ripped out all the water from an even wider radius, and that could cause issues. So she -created- the water somehow.

Then again, I tend to lean towards 'It's magic. She can do X, Y, Z, and it's not powered exactly by physics. She needs air that has some movement for metaphorical mystical purposes, not due to science.'
Old 2014-04-29, 06:51   Link #230
Anime Online

It's just anime magic. There's no use trying to explain how Nike makes it rain with modern understanding of meteorology.

When I saw the port city being dry, I knew it was just an anime and there's no sense applying real world understanding of geography. Here we have the capital, which despite being a couple of days travel from the coast, is so dry that everyone is amazed by rainfall. The Sun kingdom is able to keep drawing water for irrigation and it's a complete mystery how the water table stays replenished.

Nike is able (or unable) to use her magic when the story calls for it. That's all there is to it.

I don't even understand why the sun religious order bothers to send assassins to lie in wait for her. There's absolutely no need to. By removing the ring, Nike is unable to complete the ritual. Either she perishes in the catacombs by misfortune or she gives up in failure, the sun religious order's goal is accomplished. If Nike claimed she was there and there was no ring, they only need to say she is a liar making up excuses for her failure.
Anime Online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-29, 19:19   Link #231
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

I think the catacomb/dungeon is merely a tool for the religious group to use to dispose of people they don't like because there is obviously a backdoor entering the catacomb; how else did those soldiers enter there in the first place? So those who were made to enter there were intended to never leave at all.

[/TH][/TR][/table]
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-29, 22:20   Link #232
GundamZZ
残念美人

Quote:
There is an interesting post from one of the scanlators of the manga clarifying that Livi was officially stated to be 15-yrs old in chapter 13 of the manga but then somehow people are seeing in raws in chapter 40 that he's 12-yrs old...so maybe some mistake on either the mangaka's side or whomever reading the raw. I hope the anime will clearly indicate soon what their ages are...I don't think anyone really knows Nike's age yet.
Livius looks like 19 to me.
Images
the proof :)
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Even you don't believe it, he is emancipated by the law of manga.
Spoiler for ambiguous dialogue:

If you still have faith for people who read the raw, here's the side note. The four sister princesses are modeled after the mangaka's mother and her sisters. Livius' butler is taken from the mangaka's one chapter manga. The heroine is rejected by her classmates, becuase rain follows her. Her love interest is her classmate(the butler).
Old 2014-04-29, 22:51   Link #233
ellessarr
Banned

man i really love the manga source of this anime, is one of the few shoujo with "shounen" style, we have a main heroine with 'boobs" who is not a damsel in distress or a girl who even when is trying to do something not ending turn back in a damsell in distress cuz aways the guy must protect/save her, niki is a girl with "balls".

about the age issue, i really dont know the age of both but i know who the anime team make a big mess in the art, if you look to manga original source niki dont look so older as she look in anime, even the difference in size between livius and niki in manga more short than anime, while in anime livi head match on niki shoulders in manga he head pass her neck and niki look much more young, sometimes their look almost like same size/age, here their made her look to old, for what i see niki in manga niki is between 15 and 16 while livius is between 13 and 15(i think 13).

anime is giving a false look to niki, she really look to old in anime.

but that anime is really good both guy and girl are good mcs not just the guy or the girl their really both are awesome.
some image from manga art:
Spoiler:

anime make niki look too much old and taller
ellessarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-29, 23:23   Link #234
GundamZZ
残念美人

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Online View Post
It's just anime magic. There's no use trying to explain how Nike makes it rain with modern understanding of meteorology.
True. It is still surprising when they introduce the idea of Carbohydrate and dieting.
It's more shocking an stranger can walk into the dressing room of a princess bride. On top of the suprise, he tells her that she is "too fat" for his dress.
It is definitly an anime original story.
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2014-04-29, 23:26   Link #235
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellessarr View Post
anime make niki look too much old and taller
Well, kudos for the character designer for making our resident tomboy look the part (and not doing a travesty as the recent official sailor moon character designs) giving her some muscle mass and height to match. Last season there was another series with a taller female lead (Witchcraft Works) but there was not so much fuss because the male lead looked like a high school student. it is not so much Nike to blame, but Livi because he is small, even if Nike had been shrunked Livi would still like like a kid next to his butler, maids, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamZZ View Post
It's more shocking an stranger can walk into the dressing room of a princess bride.
Was I the only one that noticed the dress designer was so gay he would give Freddy Mercury a run for his money?

Quote:
On top of the suprise, he tells her that she is "too fat" for his dress.
It is definitly an anime original story.
Too true, back then to be chubby was not only considered beautiful, was a sign of their status since they eat at their heart content, unlike those of lesser birth.

Instead of trying to reduce her already thin waist, I would suggest broadening her shoulders to make her waist appear thinner, but I am a heretic
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-29, 23:30   Link #236
Frontier

Quote:
I think the catacomb/dungeon is merely a tool for the religious group to use to dispose of people they don't like because there is obviously a backdoor entering the catacomb; how else did those soldiers enter there in the first place? So those who were made to enter there were intended to never leave at all.
Not to mention that if Livius learns what happened, and he's much more liable to believe Nike than the priest, I imagine that would result in a lot of trouble for the church .

I really like how the opening keeps changing from episode to episode, with this episode having Nike in a new dress and I think more from the chef. I wonder if Aristes will get added to the next episodes opening? I'm also curious if it'll ever remain the same between two episodes.

It was nice seeing Nike and Livius trying to support each other in their own way, and trying their utmost to get the engagement/wedding to happen despite the church's interference. I think their romance is shaping up quite nicely .
Old 2014-04-29, 23:58   Link #237
ellessarr
Banned

Quote:
Well, kudos for the character designer for making our resident tomboy look the part (and not doing a travesty as the recent official sailor moon character designs) giving her some muscle mass and height to match. Last season there was another series with a taller female lead (Witchcraft Works) but there was not so much fuss because the male lead looked like a high school student. it is not so much Nike to blame, but Livi because he is small, even if Nike had been shrunked Livi would still like like a kid next to his butler, maids, etc.
but in witchcraft work the girl also is taller and amazoness like look their dont messed character design(their even make her look a little small in manga she is even more "taller"takamia sometimes looks like a kid close to her) as their messed here.

even if livi still a kid at last the gag age between then not will look so strang as look now(and for what i see is not really she is a teenager, but their managed to make her look too much old), like i told in manga looks like a 12 or 13 years old kid and a 15 years girl or 2 kids not a 12 or 13 years old kid and a teenager near adulthood age girl(17+).

niki in manga also had big breasts, like i told i like this manga cuz specially the girl look very different fro our basic "average" shoujo girl, not only in visual but in personality, this is a shoujo with a shounen/seinen touch, what is good to make the things a few different.
Old 2014-05-03, 14:31   Link #238
sikvod00

Ouch. I have a severe case of whiplash from this episode's pacing. Well, to be fair my complaint has more to do with the rushed development of Livi and Nike's relationship. It's the best element of this show by a wide margin, so I wish they'd let the viewers savour it a bit more slowly. Oh, and Tomokazu Sugita as Neil is so hilarious!

Edit: Oh, and they played tender rain again...
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-03, 15:39   Link #239
ellessarr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikvod00 View Post
Ouch. I have a severe case of whiplash from this episode's pacing. Well, to be fair my complaint has more to do with the rushed development of Livi and Nike's relationship. It's the best element of this show by a wide margin, so I wish they'd let the viewers savour it a bit more slowly. Oh, and Tomokazu Sugita as Neil is so hilarious!

Edit: Oh, and they played tender rain again...
probably that not gonna be the "last time we gonna hear that song" lol, looks like her "default" rain song.

based on the preview their changed the order of the arcs, that loli thief of shota king was supposed to appear before this arc, gonna be fun, see niki goes full jealous.

indeed that arc was a little rushed, but their managed to show what matter, i only miss who in the manga in the end she not just punch him but give him a great "lesson" for he never forget, and was livius who forgive him but her not full

niki: you send peoples to kill me??????? you gonna pay!!!!!.(and the last words in the manga are the guy screams).

overal good episode, looking foward to the next episode, really i'm not too much fun of shoujo but this shoujo really is special and interesting.

like i told before he can easy pass a shounen or seinen, with the type of characters are livi and niki.(very different from the cliche choujo archtypes).

and now livi and niki are officially married she is now the sun queen.
Old 2014-05-03, 15:47   Link #240
bakaouji

I can really do without the loud manga touches that almost ruined the scene when Livi was having his revelatory moment. The show must think it's being subtle by expressing Nike's feelings by flashing giant white words on a black background, but that completely pulled me out of the moment because it was so unbecoming and out of place. The show excels best when its simply emotionally honest with its characters and premise. Therefore, any stylistic touches just come off as unnecessary embellishments that reek of pretentiousness.

The show's at its best when it's having fun with itself and keeps it simple even at its darkest moments. Which is probably why I was relieved when Nike forgave the priest and lightened his punishment and pretty much all but changed him with her little enlightening monologue even though I wanted him either banished or executed. It shows how much Nike's influence has changed Livi as he has let go of his vengeful attitude. Also, that scene made me realize there's no one dominant in this relationship, which is a rarity for shojo shows. It's even more surprising given the obvious age difference.

Anyway, I enjoyed the episode despite some stumbles and I hope the next one isn't the travesty I expect it to be.
bakaouji is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, romance, shoujo