AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-10-07, 05:45   Link #81
Tenzen12

Thing is for any non-porcelain adventurer goblin slaying is basically charity. Sure some still do it, but majority just go for better paid job instead so porcelain rankers are mostly only ones [I]willing[/I do ] this kind of job.
Old 2018-10-07, 06:03   Link #82
Random14

I'm not sure whether this counts as spoilers, but a lot of these questions or problems are covered in the next few chapters, or at least kind of explained. Let's just say that even the normal scenes in town aren't quite as stable as they look. Porcelain rookies trying and failing the goblin quests might still be better than nothing.
Random14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 07:04   Link #83
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly00 View Post
Sort of related: do we know how reliant on sight - specifically, in the visible light spectrum - goblins in this setting are? If I recall the clip correctly, the adventurers' torches were the only light source, which implies the answer to the question is 'not very'...
I don't know how much the author took inspiration from D&D, but he might have set them as having "darkvision" which is the ability to see things in total darkness (albeit it's usually limited to a few meters).

Underground creatures also often have "light sensitivity" which causes them to become dazed when exposed to strong light sources. Goblins aren't light sensitive in D&D, but the way Goblin Slayer made use of the Light spell in this episode seems to suggests they are in this story, at least temporarily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehawk View Post

- I think the LN or manga hinted that Goblin Children are essentially born from the rape of human/elf/other women? Don't quote me on that, though.
Now this is something that totally deviates from the D&D lore, and essentially make them parasitic creatures.

This changes a lot of things. Goblins and Goblinoids in general are seen as mostly evil creatures in fantasy settings, but not so evil that they warrant a systematic extermination. Generally the various human\elf\dwarf settlements hate and despise them, but they are fine if they just stay in their territories.

The need to impregnate other humanoids however means that goblins simply cannot exist on their own. This puts them on the same level as vampires and illithids.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 07:11   Link #84
moridin84
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeviouses View Post
I don't get why they'd blame the Guild though. The Guild is just the middle man for the payment of the quest, it's still up to an individual adventurer to accept the job or not.
The guild offers the quests is it makes sense to expect to manage them. They wouldn't let rookie adventures take a quest to kill a dragon right?

Well, that stuff should be talked about next episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
So, I just watched the first episode and.......do most of the noob parties in this world as dumb as the one we see in this episode? If so, no wonder many of them were wrecked by the goblins. Even the five-year-old space-rat kids from Iron-Blooded Orphans will facepalm hard when watching all the stupid decisions this noob party made.
They are basically just a bunch of stupid teenagers.

Ultimately they died because of their mistakes, not because goblins are strong or anything.

Quote:
Noobs going into enemy's turf item-dry with a healer that can only cast three times is just asking for it..
The magic system is DnD based. A low-level Cleric is only going to have that many spells. That mage could only cast firebolt twice.

Quote:
I have a question regarding weapons. According to Goblin Slayer, swords lose sharpness after cutting many goblins. Won't it be better to bring a hand axe, club, or mace for long term use?

Let's see what happens from here.
An axe would be the same.

I'm not really sure why he doesn't have a club or mace.

He does like throwing his sword though.
moridin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 07:38   Link #85
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Yes, because they were foolhardy and ignorant. That's why I said the guild could straight up forbid it. In other settings, it's not uncommon for the local adventurer guild to restrict quests according to difficulty.
Well, maybe because that the quest they took is the lowest difficulty at that time? Just like when you are playing EASIEST difficulty (and you still die) and your friend came and tell you that it is too early for you to attempt this game.

Plus, I really doubt anything that the Guild Girl said will change the "Hero" mind at that time.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 07:40   Link #86
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly00 View Post
Which does lead one to wonder: how common in that world are instances of people paying the price for that lack of vision? Surely at some point it would occur to adventurers in general that a measure of Combat Pragmatism would be a good idea...
Very common from if what we've seen is any indication. Note how on the way to the temple, the girls in the wagon passed by another party of newbies. This is a cycle.

Quote:
So, I just watched the first episode and.......do most of the noob parties in this world as dumb as the one we see in this episode? If so, no wonder many of them were wrecked by the goblins. Even the five-year-old space-rat kids from Iron-Blooded Orphans will facepalm hard when watching all the stupid decisions this noob party made. Noobs going into enemy's turf item-dry with a healer that can only cast three times is just asking for it.

I also agree that Guild should've made a stronger effort to prevent total noobs from raiding goblin's nests if similar gruesome cases already happened to many other noob parties before.
You just answered your own question. Keep in mind this is a medieval level setting with no legal age. They were just kids. Why do you think they signed up to be adventurers in the first place? That wannabe hero kid grew up hearing stories told by adventurers and wanted to be one himself. Newbies like him have had no professional training, or orientation into this line of work. Of course they thought they'd breeze through goblins, the lowest tier of creatures looked down on by every adventurer. Of course, they brought along sword into a narrow cave. Of course, they were distracted by the totem to notice the hidden passage. These kids weren't dumb. They were noobs with absolutely ZERO experience and proper expectations.
Old 2018-10-07, 07:56   Link #87
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixth View Post
Well, maybe because that the quest they took is the lowest difficulty at that time? Just like when you are playing EASIEST difficulty (and you still die) and your friend came and tell you that it is too early for you to attempt this game.
It's not. And even if it was, it wouldn't have been too much to demand newbies shadow more experienced adventurers when they start out.

Quote:
Plus, I really doubt anything that the Guild Girl said will change the "Hero" mind at that time.
But a hard and fast rule would have been more easily taken seriously than the misgivings of a receptionist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
You just answered your own question. Keep in mind this is a medieval level setting with no legal age. They were just kids. Why do you think they signed up to be adventurers in the first place? That wannabe hero kid grew up hearing stories told by adventurers and wanted to be one himself. Newbies like him have had no professional training, or orientation into this line of work. Of course they thought they'd breeze through goblins, the lowest tier of creatures looked down on by every adventurer. Of course, they brought along sword into a narrow cave. Of course, they were distracted by the totem to notice the hidden passage. These kids weren't dumb. They were noobs with absolutely ZERO experience and proper expectations.
Exactly. They might lose fewer people if the guild provided some standardized training, and maybe an armor stipend. (But that costs money, and they've apparently decided it's better to just let Darwin provide the training.)
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 07:57   Link #88
xeviouses

Quote:
Originally Posted by moridin84 View Post
The guild offers the quests is it makes sense to expect to manage them. They wouldn't let rookie adventures take a quest to kill a dragon right?

Well, that stuff should be talked about next episode.
Dragons? definitely not. Rats, Slimes and Goblins however are almost always treated as low-tier threats. Perfect rookie fodder...and bait.

But yes let's stop here, the next episode will cover the whys. (hopefully)
Old 2018-10-07, 07:59   Link #89
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I mean yeah it is kinda dumb that there is absolutely no restriction placed on rookies to do jobs way above their capabilities but then again, the very existence of this whole Adventurers guild/quest based system is just bizarre game logic on the whole to begin with. No point in being pedantic about the smaller details.

Though, it does undermine the whole "brutal realism" message when brutal shit happens because of an unrealistic arbitrary system derived from an RPG game mechanic.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 08:02   Link #90
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I mean yeah it is kinda dumb that there is absolutely no restriction placed on rookies to do jobs way above their capabilities but then again, the very existence of this whole Adventurers guild/quest based system is just bizarre game logic on the whole to begin with. No point in being pedantic about the smaller details.

Though, it does undermine the whole "brutal realism" message when brutal shit happens because of an unrealistic arbitrary system derived from an RPG game mechanic.
Just because no reasons has been given yet, doesn't mean they don't exist.
Old 2018-10-07, 08:19   Link #91
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Well then don't put the cart before the horse.
Old 2018-10-07, 08:32   Link #92
bakato

Quote:
Well then don't put the cart before the horse.
You just did. You're under a misconception of the guild. While the guild is definitely a professional organization, it does not exist to raise capable adventurers like modern day professions. It exists to meet demand.
Old 2018-10-07, 08:33   Link #93
Ultragunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by orpheus2 View Post
This felt like watching my very first Dark Souls with this episode.

Very unforgiving.

I have a question regarding weapons. According to Goblin Slayer, swords lose sharpness after cutting many goblins. Won't it be better to bring a hand axe, club, or mace for long term use?

Let's see what happens from here.
well, IMO, a disposable sword would be way more versatile than those for killing goblins in small and dark cave because you can slash, thrust or throw the sword according to the situation. As the episode has shown, a long weapon with big swing like the noob guy had is a bad choice in narrow spaces where goblins usually live

As for the guild receptionist girl, what could she have done? The noob party is legitimately qualified for the quest as per the rule of the guild.

If anything, The system is at fault for not evaluating the threat level of goblins correctly. A horde of goblins in their nest is way more dangerous and a few couple of them on an open field.
Well, on the hand, if they had raised the required rank for killing goblins, few would even take the job
Old 2018-10-07, 08:34   Link #94
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
It's not. And even if it was, it wouldn't have been too much to demand newbies shadow more experienced adventurers when they start out.

But a hard and fast rule would have been more easily taken seriously than the misgivings of a receptionist.
Well, there are many driving safe campaigns out there too but traffic accident still happens too often to the point it became a common occurrence to us.

Some people are just that stubborn. They think that they are special and bad things won't happen to them. Just like the "Hero" did in this episode.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 08:41   Link #95
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
So, I just watched the first episode and.......do most of the noob parties in this world as dumb as the one we see in this episode? If so, no wonder many of them were wrecked by the goblins. Even the five-year-old space-rat kids from Iron-Blooded Orphans will facepalm hard when watching all the stupid decisions this noob party made.
Even those kids had better training than the party in this episode.

The idea of large scale formalized training for a trade didn't exist in medieval times. They could have a apprentice system, I suppose, but it might be hard to get adventurers to agree.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 08:43   Link #96
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
Even those kids had better training than the party in this episode.

The idea of large scale formalized training for a trade didn't exist in medieval times. They could have a apprentice system, I suppose, but it might be hard to get adventurers to agree.
Exactly and what incentive would experienced adventurers have to baby noobs? Adventuring is a life-and-death ordealand after all that you'd just help raise competitors.
Old 2018-10-07, 08:53   Link #97
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
You just did. You're under a misconception of the guild. While the guild is definitely a professional organization, it does not exist to raise capable adventurers like modern day professions. It exists to meet demand.
1) Was that in the first episode? No? Then my point stands.

If you're giving a "brutal realism" message but haven't given the required explanation for it to make any sense, don't be surprised if people don't get it. It's a clear case of putting the cart before the horse.

Quote:
2) And there is clearly a demand for it.
Old 2018-10-07, 08:56   Link #98
bakato

Quote:
1) Was that in the first episode? No? Then my point stands.

2) And there is clearly a demand for it.
It's only been one episode and it was only one quest out of who-knows how many.
Old 2018-10-07, 08:58   Link #99
Magewolf

How are they even rookie adventurers? I mean at least the mage and the cleric went to school to learn their class so why did they know nothing? Their formation was wrong, it should have been fighter, cleric, mage, monk and everyone should have had a torch and a way to light it. Also why did the mage take magic missile instead of sleep,which would have turned any two of those swarming scenes into massacres in the other direction, or if she had to take a damaging spell at least take burning hands since they knew they were heading into a swarming situation. And if the goblins had a sure kill poison why just use it on a couple of dagger instead of their ranged weapons? For that matter if goblins use poison that much why didn't the idiots know about it from hearsay?
Magewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 09:03   Link #100
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
It's only been one episode and it was only one quest out of who-knows how many.
It doesn't take more than one episode to avoid this pitfall. All the writer had to do was to replace the Priests message at the end about it being a cruel world with one that questioned the bizarre guild system that allowed this to happen. Heck that may have even killed two birds with one stone.

Tags
disturbing content, fantasy, tragedy