AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-02, 06:49   Link #61
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

The good ending was the last part of ep.26, where Shinji learns to break his shell and is accepted by everyone else. Though metaphorical it may be, it's still the next best thing to a happy denouement you'll ever be rewarded with.

NGE was not IMHO ever meant to end well, since the main theme is the quest for oneself through the destruction of the world...both on the inside and the outside.

Not to mention that NGE is not like all other shounen series where the main character gets all gar and seizes salvation with both hands - rather, it just proves the opposite: that when sh*t happens, sometimes, you just can't get back up, because the entire world is out to drive you into your own grave.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2011-05-02 at 07:06.
Old 2011-05-02, 12:56   Link #62
NeoFireHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by konart View Post
Spoiler for ending:
I wouldn't have high hopes for that if I were you. Remember how big of a Rei fanboy Sadamoto is and if something, I personally expect a far crueler ending for her than the one we saw in EoE. Of course that he can always surprise us but considering how little development Asuka got in the manga that would look pretty unnatural, if you ask me.
Old 2011-05-02, 20:00   Link #63
Used Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Its not like Sadamoto's manga is very deep to begin with. Certainly falls short compared to anime in those terms, so Happy ending would not be so out of the place, really.
It definitely lacks Anno's continuous psychoanalysis of the characters, but when it comes down to development, the manga still goes on ups and downs just like the anime did. Perhaps, Shinji is slightly more ballsy and Rei is slightly more "human," but other than that, I think it's rather the same in terms of development. In fact, I really liked how Sadamoto developed some characters the anime didn't develop as much like Touji and especially Kaji. In addition, I think the manga has had some sadder aspects than those in the anime. Like for example, Touji piloted the EVA-03 in both stories, but in the anime he survived (although, under poor conditions); in the manga, on the other hand, he got killed. Moreover, when it comes down to NERV's/Gendou's and SEELE's plans, it's still the same thing.

So, I really, really cannot see a perfect end with the heroes beating all the bad guys and achieving a perfect end. If you ask me, that simply doesn't work with Eva.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
Not to mention that NGE is not like all other shounen series where the main character gets all gar and seizes salvation with both hands - rather, it just proves the opposite: that when sh*t happens, sometimes, you just can't get back up, because the entire world is out to drive you into your own grave.
Also, remember, the time Shinji went badass in Rebuild, he pretty much fucked the world over (and he said he didn't even care) by triggering the 3rd Impact.
Old 2011-05-02, 22:32   Link #64
NeoFireHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
So, I really, really cannot see a perfect end with the heroes beating all the bad guys and achieving a perfect end. If you ask me, that simply doesn't work with Eva.
Who exactly are the bad guys in Evangelion, if I may ask?
Old 2011-05-03, 03:15   Link #65
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
It definitely lacks Anno's continuous psychoanalysis of the characters, but when it comes down to development, the manga still goes on ups and downs just like the anime did. Perhaps, Shinji is slightly more ballsy and Rei is slightly more "human," but other than that, I think it's rather the same in terms of development. In fact, I really liked how Sadamoto developed some characters the anime didn't develop as much like Touji and especially Kaji. In addition, I think the manga has had some sadder aspects than those in the anime. Like for example, Touji piloted the EVA-03 in both stories, but in the anime he survived (although, under poor conditions); in the manga, on the other hand, he got killed. Moreover, when it comes down to NERV's/Gendou's and SEELE's plans, it's still the same thing.
Oh I agree about Touji and Kaji. But he also screwed up Asuka's character making her very shallow in the series, compared to her anime original. But I would take Sadamoto's Kaji over anime Kaji anytime, his Asuka though sucks.
Old 2011-05-03, 03:34   Link #66
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Well, you win some, you lose some. For me, the manga is just to see Sadamoto's art in action. Still have a weak spot for his art after so long.
Old 2011-05-03, 06:48   Link #67
Used Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoFireHawk View Post
Who exactly are the bad guys in Evangelion, if I may ask?
I'm sure most people would say Gendou and everyone else in SEELE, since all of them are the ones puppeteering the events toward Instrumentality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Oh I agree about Touji and Kaji. But he also screwed up Asuka's character making her very shallow in the series, compared to her anime original. But I would take Sadamoto's Kaji over anime Kaji anytime, his Asuka though sucks.
I agree his Asuka sucks, but well, it's the same in Rebuild.
Either way, my point is no version of Eva has had an idealistic type development. And thus, in my opinion, a good end simply wouldn't work.
Old 2011-05-30, 05:50   Link #68
linkinstreet
[Your] clan on Steam

Send a message via MSN to linkinstreet Send a message via Yahoo to linkinstreet
Just got my copy of Young Jump yesterday.
Spoiler:
Can't wait for next month
Old 2011-05-30, 12:47   Link #69
Vicious108

Quote:
I agree his Asuka sucks, but well, it's the same in Rebuild.
"It's the same in Rebuild" doesn't really excuse anything, when Rebuild is where the Eva characters are at their absolute worse.

Anyway, this last chapter was interesting, but I wonder what'll happen with Asuka's psyche now that she's been saved and beaten once again by Shinji-sama. Well, knowing Sadamoto, probably nothing.
Old 2011-05-30, 21:12   Link #70
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
Anyway, this last chapter was interesting, but I wonder what'll happen with Asuka's psyche now that she's been saved and beaten once again by Shinji-sama. Well, knowing Sadamoto, probably nothing.
For some retardedly sudden reason she goes into life-long coma (like some random lance hitting her or super revival of super trauma) which allows us to focus on Shinji and Rei. Sadamoto already showed that he dont like Asuka as a character and wont focus on her more than necessarily and wont bother making it complex to remove her from the active characters list. It will be abrupt and shallow, just like Asuka's character.
Old 2011-08-03, 06:15   Link #71
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Just read ch.85:

Spoiler:
Old 2011-08-03, 14:44   Link #72
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Soooooo, no everyone dying in happiness juice yet?
Old 2011-08-03, 15:09   Link #73
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX_COLA_POWER! View Post
Soooooo, no everyone dying in happiness juice yet?
you. just. wait.
Old 2011-08-10, 18:25   Link #74
ridgezipline

Quote:
Just read ch.85:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

perhaps im one of those few who prefer the manga over the anime ._. 1) the main char isnt as emo 2) the anime is too dogmatic for my taste

question: is eva currently on hiatus? >_<
Old 2011-08-11, 01:09   Link #75
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgezipline View Post
perhaps im one of those few who prefer the manga over the anime ._. 1) the main char isnt as emo 2) the anime is too dogmatic for my taste
You're (not) alone, buddy . Oh yeah, tell me when the manga is over, okay . I've been sick waiting individual chapters for the ending .
Old 2011-08-11, 05:43   Link #76
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

The series is not on hiatus but Yoshiyuki Sadamoto (who's also reputed for being slow) happens to be working on the next Rebuild of Evangelion movie (animation + art + other GAINAX material) and he just took a break from RoE to draw ch.85. I'm not sure whether there'll be a new chapter next month, though...he might have gone back to Studio Khara to resume work on RoE 3.0.
Old 2011-08-11, 15:02   Link #77
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
The series is not on hiatus but Yoshiyuki Sadamoto (who's also reputed for being slow) happens to be working on the next Rebuild of Evangelion movie (animation + art + other GAINAX material) and he just took a break from RoE to draw ch.85. I'm not sure whether there'll be a new chapter next month, though...he might have gone back to Studio Khara to resume work on RoE 3.0.
That's a good excuse from him.
Old 2011-11-17, 13:28   Link #78
ridgezipline

*bump on this thread*

87/88 is out wohoo~

Spoiler:
Old 2011-11-17, 13:59   Link #79
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Hmm, based on my knowledge of the EoE movie, we may be getting everyone turning into happiness LCL goo in 1-2 chapters, 3 chapters max^^. Can't wait for that.
Old 2011-11-17, 17:41   Link #80
jonli
JONLIの憂'

I really hope we don't get the LCL ending again. We've seen it happen already, and since Sadamoto is taking the manga is a slightly different direction, I really don't want it again.

It's not that I didn't like EoE, it's just why would he take so many years to write the story and reinterpret it in his own vision just to set up the same conclusion?
Closed Thread