Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2007-07-24, 13:36   Link #1
white-devil
Magic Monkey Wizard

Send a message via MSN to white-devil
Feelings over the end of an series.

Anyone else but me who gets kinda sad when an anime series ends? Oh and I should point out that I dont mean like "oh he\she\it died in the end Im so very sad." No, Im talking about having feelings when an anime hit the large brick wall that says "The End."

I've seen a number of series hit this wall (not that high a number mind you : p ) but I still just about always get this sort of sad feeling when they end, usually with series that could more or less go on and on forever (High School animes for instance), you really want to know what will happen to the characters or just simply shows you really loved.

Well, what I kinda would like to know if there's anyone else who sorta feels the same way when an anime series ends and if so how would you describe it? = )

Editation: I should have pointed out that I only meant animes, not manga (since like Xris so kindly pointed out, keeps on going for more or less an eternitt after the anime has ended. And yet again, Thanks Xris.)

Last edited by white-devil; 2007-07-24 at 14:14. Reason: Xris' constructive criticism.
white-devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-24, 13:50   Link #2
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
I feel the same. Either it's an anime I don't really like or do enjoy watching. It's always saddening to see it end.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-24, 13:56   Link #3
xris
Just call me Ojisan

You mention "anime series" several times but do you really mean just anime or does this apply to both anime and manga.

The reason I bring this up is because by their very nature, anime rarely "ends" as such. All too often the manga is still running when the anime concludes so the anime finish tends to be incomplete. A good example might be Kare Kano (His & Her Circumstances), the anime finish was a ... while the manga did a good job of wrapping it up (eventually).

It might help if you gave a few examples and what it is about the ending that made you... and here's the problem, I don't know what it is you are trying to describe

In addition, how is this thread different to the existing Am I the only one that gets sad?
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-24, 14:12   Link #4
white-devil
Magic Monkey Wizard

Send a message via MSN to white-devil
Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
You mention "anime series" several times but do you really mean just anime or does this apply to both anime and manga.

In addition, how is this thread different to the existing Am I the only one that gets sad?
I haven't yet learned the.... "language" of anime (manga AND anime series ) so I should edit the post and change that (thanks for pointing it out.) and about that other post... well... Im not quite sure if I got any defence for that Im afraid. I haven't seen it.
white-devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-24, 18:10   Link #5
crystar
*yawns*

If you're talking about if I get sad to see a series I like end, then well... of course I do. Especially when you can't seem to find another series to replace it. Of course if the series I liked continued forever it would turn into one of those never-ending anime that you eventually get tired of. So yeah, it's like a lose-lose situation. If it ends I get sad, if it keeps on going, I'll potentially still get sad because it might turn to rubbish with more episodes.
crystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-24, 22:19   Link #6
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I've had the same problems with lots of anime. Naruto and Bleach was irreplaceable. Anime that has 50+ episodes are usual candidates but not all. Cardcaptor Sakura, Eureka Seven, and Kimi ga Nozomu Eien gave me with this blank feeling of what am I supposed to do next. Interestingly, those are the anime I could watch over and over again without getting tired of.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-25, 13:19   Link #7
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
I've had the same problems with lots of anime. Naruto and Bleach was irreplaceable. Anime that has 50+ episodes are usual candidates but not all. Cardcaptor Sakura, Eureka Seven, and Kimi ga Nozomu Eien gave me with this blank feeling of what am I supposed to do next. Interestingly, those are the anime I could watch over and over again without getting tired of.
so agree on that, i missed Naruto when the fillers began and i stopped watching for my own health but with Shippuden now.. you ont miss it at all..
usually i mis series because of the music, even when owning the soundtracks, i had a horrible time after HiME, Otome and Seed Destiny but there are always new series starting after them that replace your missing feeling and make you miss that series, this time it would be Code Geass, however if i were to be forced to stop watching anime series in a clap i would be devistated
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-25, 13:50   Link #8
arcadeplayer987

I get very sad when an anime series ends, especially if it is one of my fav. series
arcadeplayer987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-25, 15:49   Link #9
Temari112
Manga Reader

i don't like it when an anime series ends!! sometimes its sad!! or sometimes you just want to see what happens next!

Last edited by Temari112; 2007-07-25 at 15:49. Reason: didn't need spoiler!
Temari112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-25, 17:48   Link #10
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Send a message via Yahoo to G. Zeus
Quote:
If you're talking about if I get sad to see a series I like end, then well... of course I do. Especially when you can't seem to find another series to replace it. Of course if the series I liked continued forever it would turn into one of those never-ending anime that you eventually get tired of. So yeah, it's like a lose-lose situation.
Lose - lose situation? It depends.

Slice of life and episodic stories are usually the ones that have the higher potential to go on endlessly without losing their appeal since there's no actual plot to drag and one can get so many insights from everyday life. On the other hand, plot-driven stories tend to be better when it doesn't wander too much (i.e. less filler material) and goes straight to the point. That way, the "dose" is much more concentrated and the emotions are much more intense.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
<º))))><.¸.•´¯`•.¸reviews¸.•´¯`•.¸links¸.•´¯`•.¸.><((((º>
G. Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-25, 22:00   Link #11
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temari112 View Post
i don't like it when an anime series ends!! sometimes its sad!! or sometimes you just want to see what happens next!
Or in the case of Inuyasha: A Feudal Fairy Tale you don't want to see what happens next. No matter how crappy the ending is, you're just glad it ended.
Old 2007-07-26, 00:45   Link #12
pingu^
Mishi-Corp

some series had perfect endings, such as Gunslinger Girl and Elfen Lied, but other series left it wide open and me wanting for more, such as Higurashi (THANK YOU FOR SEASON 2), and Black Lagoon.
pingu^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-26, 14:23   Link #13
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Wow, someone actually agrees with me that Elfen Lied had a good ending!
Old 2007-07-26, 18:21   Link #14
pingu^
Mishi-Corp

Quote:
heh, a bad ending would be that they lived happily ever after.
pingu^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-26, 18:23   Link #15
crystar
*yawns*

Quote:
Originally Posted by G. Zeus View Post
Lose - lose situation? It depends.

Slice of life and episodic stories are usually the ones that have the higher potential to go on endlessly without losing their appeal since there's no actual plot to drag and one can get so many insights from everyday life. On the other hand, plot-driven stories tend to be better when it doesn't wander too much (i.e. less filler material) and goes straight to the point. That way, the "dose" is much more concentrated and the emotions are much more intense.
Although I'm more of a plot driven person, I normally don't like episodic shows (with the exception of Kino no Tabi), I kind of think even the episodic shows lose their appeal if they run for too long.
crystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-27, 16:47   Link #16
eurhteranienains
nothing here

I feel ....I feel..

.... a lot of anguish.
eurhteranienains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-27, 17:07   Link #17
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Send a message via Yahoo to G. Zeus
Quote:
Actually, I'm more surprised with the mention of GSG. Some people just can't stand (or understand) open endings, especially the ones that leave you with moral ambiguity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystar View Post
Although I'm more of a plot driven person, I normally don't like episodic shows (with the exception of Kino no Tabi), I kind of think even the episodic shows lose their appeal if they run for too long.
Hmm, perhaps I should rephrase that. Episodic series can last longer than other series because there's no need for continuity, multiple (and sometimes convoluted) plot twists, etc. A final "conclusion" is not even necessary in some cases, the author may choose to end at any time. Of course, losing appeal also depends on the preferences of the viewer/reader and being a YKK fan, I'm probably a bit biased with slice of life titles.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
<º))))><.¸.•´¯`•.¸reviews¸.•´¯`•.¸links¸.•´¯`•.¸.><((((º>
G. Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-27, 22:55   Link #18
eurhteranienains
nothing here

sure i always feel a deep pain in my stomach whenever an anime ends. especially really good short ones. it also pains me to see the long never ending horrid anime waste away
eurhteranienains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-29, 13:27   Link #19
Phoenix_x

Send a message via MSN to Phoenix_x
i Hate it, i get sad & happy at the same time becaus there may be other season coming but sad because there may not be!
Phoenix_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-29, 15:58   Link #20
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Haibane Remei left me with a feeling that can't be explained in words and can't be compared with any other anime I've seen before. If I can describe it in a sentence, "I like it."