AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-08-27, 13:27   Link #41
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
The romance genre I generally stay away from, since they almost always have the same set template, unless I make a specific exception by title, like Shuffle! or Suzuka...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-01, 12:31   Link #42
Purple Madness
Get Your Ass to Mars!!

Welcome to the NHK (manga ) was pretty hard to read (They really went out of their way to make Satou-kun look as bad as possible).

Also, I sometimes stay away from anime cause it might not be as good as I thought it would be in my head.
Example would be Ghost in the Shell...
I only watched it 5 months after I bought it.
Purple Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-01, 14:19   Link #43
CatQueen

I remember being deathly afraid to watch Higurashi a while back. Everyone kept saying how scary it was, but that made me curious. I hadn't seen any horror anime before that, so I decided to try it anyway and stop if it was too much for me. Now it's one of my favorite shows and I'm aways looking for good horror anime.
CatQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-01, 14:40   Link #44
Neesan
Banned

Does keanu reeves participates in animatrix lol
Neesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-01, 16:29   Link #45
Dream
working...

^
lol

i was bit.. drawn back to watch shigure.. i mean... violence is one thing.. that show was like... -_-;
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-02, 07:52   Link #46
nixie
Nyunga Ro Chaga

Generally I'm afraid of watching series that are hailed by others as amazing/masterpiece/controversially awesome/disturbing/most original etc. Probably because I always feel shitty after watching them since it means there is now one less great series to watch. I'm also afraid of watching soap-opera-ish romance/slice-of-life (ie. Nana, Bokura ga Ita, Hachikuro) since there's a higher chance of me getting really emotional over the characters.

But I watch them anyway.
Old 2008-09-02, 18:01   Link #47
Claude

Send a message via AIM to Claude Send a message via Yahoo to Claude
I'm afraid of watching animes like Gakutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo because I still haven't read the book or taken the tests on it in high school. I worry that the anime will be stuck in my head and mix me up when it comes time for testing.
Claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-02, 21:41   Link #48
Zeroryoko1974

Send a message via AIM to Zeroryoko1974 Send a message via Yahoo to Zeroryoko1974
I don't want to watch anymore strike witches or any of Kodomo no Jikan. Afraid the fbi will show up at my door
Old 2008-09-02, 21:58   Link #49
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I'm actually quite fearless in terms of watching anything. After being scared shitless with 'scary' FPS like Wolfenstein 3d and Doom when I was an impressionable child with a vivid imagination, nothing really fazes me now that I'm an adult.

Well, I'm fearless apart from shows I have been spoilt or have a big inkilng that the childhood friend couple would lose, but that's for entirely different reasons. Good thing though that I watch anime as it gets fansubbed, so being spoilt is close to none apart from those shows that are adaptations of another work.

Now as for the latter (having a big inkling), I can't help much about since I unconsciously read beneath the surface over anything I watch. All that said, it really isn't as bad as it sounds, as anime has a very good track record with this coupling, and as such these 'inklings' are just uncommon. But for those that I have misgivings (for example, 5cm/s, since Shinkai was never the jolly fellow), I'm deathly afraid to watch for being too emotional about it, either through extreme rage or depression.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-04, 19:46   Link #50
Ryu-kun
Dragon - Igniton
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Ryu-kun
As long as you like it walk towards it with no fear although it might but each anime must have each reason of being like that.

Click siggy to join Toradora club~
Ryu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-04, 21:25   Link #51
xia

Im not afraid of watching anime
But I really try and avoid mecha type shows.

I did end up loving Escaflowne though.

Thanks vandakiara for the sig!
Currently watching
On deck for 08/09: Claymore, Monster, Paradise Kiss,
xia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-05, 09:36   Link #52
Icehawk

There isnt really any show that I'm literally scared to watch, however if its a show that I know Im going to love, I prefer to avoid it untill all the episodes are released so I am not constrained to 1 episode per week. (Sadly I couldnt resist on Code Geass and am now stuck with the one ep per week blues on that one ) I did manage to hold off on Macross Frontier though as I havent watched past the first two eps of that and I'm eagerly awaiting its completion so I can marathon it.
Icehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-05, 09:56   Link #53
Vashar

I enjoy gore, horror, and suspense, but they are not my favorites.

The type of anime I enjoy most are fantasy types that steers clear of cliched stuff. If I ever watch some slice of life or typical Japanese romance, I wander around depressed that I wasted so much time and that my mind probably degenerated (which is what I fear), so I begin looking for productive and enlightening things to do.

Late nights watching Monster or whatever doesn't phase me. I actually can't think of a really suspenseful horror... I know Monster wasn't really a horror.

Last edited by Vashar; 2008-09-05 at 12:15.
Vashar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-05, 19:27   Link #54
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Yes Loveless just reading the synopsis sent shivers down my spine . That is one show I am truly scared of watching O__O
Old 2008-09-06, 18:13   Link #55
Ryuugu-chan
.....?

I'm afraid to watch Narutaru..It sounds so horribly scary,and I almost watched an amv of it....

Almost,I watched 1 scene of the amv,and it was a strangling scene....From what wikipedia said,and comments on youtube videos about it,it sounds

....Really scary,much more scarier then Elfen Lied and Higurashi....Wait,Higurashi wasn't scary....So,it's scarier then Elfen Lied,which wasn't really scary,just bloody.
Old 2008-09-06, 23:06   Link #56
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

As long as the series makes sense to me (no matter how twisted it may be), I guess I won't fear it. Even "nonsense" such as killing just for the sake of killing is considered "making sense" in my definition.

I guess my view that anime is THE medium for me to see/experience my darkest nightmares coming to life is another reason.
Old 2008-09-07, 08:30   Link #57
Vegard Aune

While I'm not "scared" of watching any shows, I REALLY don't want to watch Elfen Lied, as the impression I've got of it is pretty much just "this is an extremely disturbing show". I also don't feel like seeing School Days, due to what I heard about the ending. Those are the only shows I can mention that I'd rather stay far away from.
Old 2008-09-07, 10:27   Link #58
Goshin

Send a message via AIM to Goshin Send a message via Yahoo to Goshin
i'm sort of attracted to sad and disturbing shows, call it mental/emotional masochism i can't get into them anytime though i have to prepare my mind so i don't crazy

"The Journey of thousand miles begins with the first step"

Goshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-07, 13:17   Link #59
Vashar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
While I'm not "scared" of watching any shows, I REALLY don't want to watch Elfen Lied, as the impression I've got of it is pretty much just "this is an extremely disturbing show". I also don't feel like seeing School Days, due to what I heard about the ending. Those are the only shows I can mention that I'd rather stay far away from.
I really liked those two shows. I'm happy that I watched them. School Days' rating got really bashed because of the shocking ending.

*does a search on Higurashi*

Haha. I have a good feeling about this one. A girl hiding a butcher knife behind her back. Definitely interesting.
Vashar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-07, 13:44   Link #60
Happy_Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWPIGWANG View Post
How many of you have looked at an anime and say: "no, I don't really want to watch this" and not for technical reasons on whether the anime is good or bad.

Right now I'm staring at a number of anime (Lain and so on), manga (NHK), games (Narcissu) and don't know if I want to start on them. It feels like those things are potential traps that could send me on a week long depression, and in a bad way.

I remember that Grave of the Firefly sat on my harddrive for a good 6 month before I watched it.

Has anyone felt the same around here? Something that simply can't be watched not because it is bad but because it is too good to maintain emotional detachment and not get dragged into hell?
Indeed it took me a long time to work up the nerve to watch Grave of the Fireflies. I'm glad I finally did (I borrowed it from the library and watched it several times when I had it).

It also took me a long time to work up the nerve to watch Perfect Blue.

At some point I need to watch Barefoot Gen too.
Happy_Chip is offline   Reply With Quote