AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2012-01-15, 16:03   Link #141
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaKaBaKaOtaKu View Post
people who say OP sucks are shitheads, who never read the series, judging the manga merely through its character design. OP's depth as a story itself is such brilliance. comparing it to naruto or bleach is like comparing a god to a human.
Now that's something we can both agree on.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 17:48   Link #142
yakumo-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaKaBaKaOtaKu View Post
people who say OP sucks are shitheads, who never read the series, judging the manga merely through its character design. OP's depth as a story itself is such brilliance. comparing it to naruto or bleach is like comparing a god to a human.
ONE PIECE IS HORRIBLE!!!! hahaha

Old 2012-01-15, 18:04   Link #143
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin myael View Post
oops!! i was once one of those people so i'm guilty of thinking that once. but that's probably because i started with the anime and the animation did suck. it took me years to finally realize one piece's true worth. it wasn't until i read the manga that i realized my mistake. the colored spreads are so amazingly artistic and detailed that i was blown away by them, the uniqueness of each character that they don't seem to look like any other character in the series, and not to mention the sbs and the mini-stories, i really love those! you don't get that in other manga.

i see what you mean, kubo may have "beautiful" characters but those blank spaces in the background are just that, blank!

one piece has already surpassed all of my favorite shonen series. to me, it's truly the king of all pirates/shonen.
My initial impression was not good as well, but after reading it I realize how amazing the art was.

I call Bleach's art fool's gold, the character design are somewhat nice, but the art got no real value in them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakumo-chan View Post

This girl has no idea what is she is talking about. I love how she simplify the One Piece plot something that you could do to any story. Example I could simplify original Gundam's story into war between evil Zeon and EarthFederation. In One Piece there are so many conflict and stories that I would never call it generic.
Old 2012-01-15, 19:10   Link #144
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakumo-chan View Post

That girl should take lessons on patience. If she's not careful, she'll end up in hell for being an userer (someone who is violent against art). She must be digging too deep in terms of certain anime styles.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-16, 04:12   Link #145
Undertaker

Inuyasha? Inuyasha is deep?

And as soon as she was using Cowboy Bepop and Trigun as example, I know she was full of shit that doesn't know anything and I stopped right there and not bother to watch anymore.

Nothing against those two anime, I love them. But they are the only two anime people like her (the fake knows it all anime fans who in reality only started watching anime around late 1990 that were chosen by the U.S. publishers.)

For starter, OP anime was on air in 1999, a year later than Trigun and Cowboy Bepop and a year earlier than Inuyasha.
Old 2012-01-16, 04:18   Link #146
hyl
reading #hikaributts

To be honest i don't like one piece that much, eventhough i can understand why other people like it. The main reason is that i don't like shounen manga that much, so i can't get in to it as other people do.
Also i stopped watching the anime a long time ago, because the manga has a better pacing (i dislike the anime fillers)and the art in the manga is atleast consistent unlike the anime. I still read the manga casually though.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-16, 04:27   Link #147
Undertaker

Oh, I don't care if people doesn't like or down right hate OP.

Everyone is entitled of their own taste in anime.

Just like I consider Nichijou from last year as shit and Madoka mediocre for no apparent reasons.

But if you are going to critique a work, and do an in-depth analysis at least get the facts straights.

It's stupid when she was claiming good old days of anime when the 3 examples she listed came out around the same time as OP.

That shows me that she didn't know anything about what she was talking and isn't what she claim to be as far as knowledge wise.

It was enough that I did even bother to watch past the 30s mark.
Old 2012-01-17, 12:05   Link #148
ronin myael
lost ronin

that girl is just plain ignorant! honestly, i wasn't pissed, annoyed or even the slightest bit bothered by what she said. why should i? she obviously doesn't know what she's talking about. i've met a lot of people who say they are anime fans but they're really not. just because you've seen a few series it doesn't make you one.

i recommend one piece to all my anime-loving friends but i don't force them to check it out. to each his own, so to speak. let the girl fantasize that she's a hardcore anime fan and that she's a so-called expert on what's good and what's not. who are we to stop her from dreaming, right?

i just realized something. the way people used to underestimate luffy because of his looks and the way he acts is exactly how people see one piece. they underestimate the series because of the art and its seemingly silly nature. but when they get to know luffy he starts to gain their respect and they realize that he really is a force to reckon with.
Old 2012-01-17, 21:35   Link #149
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

the girl should just read the bible. Cowboy bebop was great so is madoka though xp
BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 23:34   Link #150
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

When you're the most successful manga in all of history, you get hated. A lot.

Just like anything else that has claimed the throne of its medium.
Old 2012-01-18, 02:20   Link #151
ronin myael
lost ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
When you're the most successful manga in all of history, you get hated. A lot.

Just like anything else that has claimed the throne of its medium.
that's what i said. but most of the people i know who don't like one piece are the ones who find the art to be awful and childish. i had the same reaction when i first encountered the series so i understand why some people would think like that. i guess it's because we all have standards on what anime characters should look like and oda's art is quite unique and quirky that some find it ugly. i admit i wasn't originally a fan but oda won me over and his art soon grew on me.
Old 2012-01-18, 22:16   Link #152
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
that's what i said. but most of the people i know who don't like one piece are the ones who find the art to be awful and childish. i had the same reaction when i first encountered the series so i understand why some people would think like that. i guess it's because we all have standards on what anime characters should look like and oda's art is quite unique and quirky that some find it ugly. i admit i wasn't originally a fan but oda won me over and his art soon grew on me.
I was partly the same, I did find the art odd and I guess childish but not off putting in anway, just whenever I saw something of it, I thought it would be a series of little interest to me(oddly enough I did see it pop up alot in places but I never did look into it)
It wasn't till rather recently that I got into the series(about 5 years ago, I consider that recent enough consider the long run of the series) that after asking a friend about it he said it was pretty good from what he saw/read, so decided to check it out and I fell in love with it.
I regret not getting into it sooner and I do consider it my number 1 series.

If I had to say one thing it would be Oda knows how to deliver, he's delivered pretty much perfectly everything of a action adventure comedy story.
But his real top trump is the world he's built, it's simply fantastic, one of the best if not the best I've seen.
Think only Toriko can come close and even then nothing quite comes so close to that

Quote from that vid above

"Voice acting on all parts is just very cartoony"

......What is this I don't even...
Old 2012-01-18, 23:00   Link #153
ronin myael
lost ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
It wasn't till rather recently that I got into the series(about 5 years ago, I consider that recent enough consider the long run of the series) that after asking a friend about it he said it was pretty good from what he saw/read, so decided to check it out and I fell in love with it.
I regret not getting into it sooner and I do consider it my number 1 series.
LOL if you're new to one piece then i'm practically an infant! i only started reading it about a year ago. it's funny because i've heard of this series about the time it first came out but i didn't find it interesting enough. it wasn't until someone from this forums convinced me to try it. thank god for anime suki forums, huh?

like you i also regret not getting into it sooner. if i had, then perhaps i could have collected more one piece figures. i remember stumbling upon treasures of one piece stuff around where i live. i ignored them since i knew nothing about the series. i used to be such a narutard so it was the naruto figures that caught my attention. nowadays, one piece figures have become rare and far more expensive. i keep thinking if only i had been a fan then perhaps i could have saved myself a lot of money. LOL
Old 2012-01-18, 23:38   Link #154
yakumo-chan

I think I found One Piece around year 2002 and 2003, and I ignored it for 7 years
I only became a fan last year
Old 2012-01-20, 22:48   Link #155
Mateus

I became a One Piece fan around the time of the Sabaody arc where Kizaru was introduced.
Old 2012-01-30, 00:57   Link #156
Pascha
Sacred Dome

Been a fan since 2001.
Old 2012-01-30, 15:14   Link #157
KMB
Wanderer

Location: No one place. I've been around and will probably continue to move on.
The first time I came across One Piece was actually when I first got into Naruto... this was probably around 2004 or 2005. My younger brothers had gotten a bunch of Shonen Jump comics from the public library, so I decided to flip through a couple. For some reason, Naruto was what caught my attention at first, and I went on to be a pretty big Naruto follower for the next few years. At that same time, though, I also happened across One Piece, and this particular issue (this was the translated official American manga) was the one when Luffy was fighting Don Krieg and Sanji was fighting Gin. I thought it was pretty interesting, and both Luffy and Sanji seemed pretty likable.

Actually, I'm the type of person that a great story or some other redeeming factor can really make me overlook peculiar or not particularly pleasing visuals, especially in manga/anime and video games. I'm a sucker for a really good plot, so I never judged One Piece, like a lot of people seem to, solely on its kind of kiddy artwork. However, I'm also the type of person who's kind of slow to get into new things, so even though I thought it looked interesting, I was too lazy to follow it seriously. Ironically, I liked it so much that I even didn't mind the 4Kids dub, though it was horrible, relatively speaking. At that point, my following of One Piece was pretty much limited to watching the 4Kids dub on Cartoon Network.

My brother and cousin, in the meantime, had gotten really into One Piece, and whenever I heard them talk about it, I thought it sounded really cool and interesting... but again, I was too lazy to get into it.

Then, some years later, I found myself very bored, having a sort of void from the end of School Rumble, which was just frustrating, and from losing interest in Naruto for various reasons, so I decided to try something new..... I had just graduated from college, so this was summer of 2009, and I figured 'I already know a little about One Piece and it seems cool, so why don't I go with that?' So I did... I marathoned it... read all the way through to roughly chapter 550, which is as far as it had gotten at that time, right around the beginning of the Marineford Ace war arc. I remember I would wake up in the morning and catch the bus to my college campus so that I could use the computer, cuz I didn't have internet at my apartment, and I would stay there literally all day until closing time, reading One Piece. When I went home, I would be so bored, wishing I could have stayed longer reading One Piece, thinking about the next day of One Piece'ing. And I'm happy to say I haven't looked back since. I find it ironic that I spent so much time as a 'Narutard' and was ambivalent about One Piece since now I kind of dislike Naruto but have nothing but good to say about One Piece. And I'm glad that it's so.
وَكَاءٍ تَرَى مِنْ صَامِتٍ لَكَ مُعْجِـبٍ
لِسَانُ الفَتَى نِصْفٌ وَنِصْفٌ فُـؤَادُهُ
يُهَـدَّمْ وَمَنْ لا يَظْلِمْ النَّاسَ يُظْلَـمِ
وَمَنْ لَم يُكَـرِّمْ نَفْسَـهُ لَم يُكَـرَّمِ
وَإِنْ خَالَهَا تَخْفَى عَلَى النَّاسِ تُعْلَـمِ
زِيَـادَتُهُ أَو نَقْصُـهُ فِـي التَّكَلُّـمِ
فَلَمْ يَبْـقَ إَلا صُورَةُ اللَّحْمِ وَالـدَّمِ
KMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 00:02   Link #158
ronin myael
lost ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMB View Post
I find it ironic that I spent so much time as a 'Narutard' and was ambivalent about One Piece since now I kind of dislike Naruto but have nothing but good to say about One Piece. And I'm glad that it's so.
you sound just like me! i also feel like i wasted so much time on naruto and other shonen manga. naruto is okay, i don't really hate it but it's overrated. i still read the series but only out of habit. i don't get all excited every time there's a new chapter or some supposed big reveal. it has gotten pretty predictable and uninteresting for me, not to mention melodramatic at times. it's just like any other manga i read nowadays, nothing special to it. i also think i wasted a lot of money on naruto figures. i should have bought one piece, the figures are so much cooler anyway. that's another good thing about one piece in my opinion.
Old 2012-02-01, 02:08   Link #159
KMB
Wanderer

Location: No one place. I've been around and will probably continue to move on.
Quote:
you sound just like me! i also feel like i wasted so much time on naruto and other shonen manga. naruto is okay, i don't really hate it but it's overrated. i still read the series but only out of habit. i don't get all excited every time there's a new chapter or some supposed big reveal. it has gotten pretty predictable and uninteresting for me, not to mention melodramatic at times. it's just like any other manga i read nowadays, nothing special to it. i also think i wasted a lot of money on naruto figures. i should have bought one piece, the figures are so much cooler anyway. that's another good thing about one piece in my opinion.
Yeah, definitely.... it's like Naruto is a stepping stone to better shonen, namely One Piece I, like you, grew very frustrated with its repetitive plot, and its being centered around the same story (ie Naruto bringing Sasuke back), especially as the majority of the characters I liked grew obsolete, and the characters I disliked were taking a larger role. I definitely agree that it's overrated - at one point, I was still reading it out of habit as well, but after some time, I just couldn't keep it up anymore, for the same reasons you mentioned and others. And oh so melodramatic..... goodness, it's like he's writing it for angsty teenagers who are overly emotional for no reason (hint hint, XD).... that's what I like about One Piece - it's so laid back and fun. There's a nice mixture of deep, emotional moments and funny, lighthearted entertainment. And the characters are much more layered and likable (most of the time).

Btw, sorry to change this from a 'Why One Piece is great' thread to a 'Why One Piece is better than Naruto' thread.... XD though I could write on and on about that, I know it's slightly off topic, and I'm not trying to be antagonistic to Naruto fans, even if I'm not particularly a fan.
وَكَاءٍ تَرَى مِنْ صَامِتٍ لَكَ مُعْجِـبٍ
لِسَانُ الفَتَى نِصْفٌ وَنِصْفٌ فُـؤَادُهُ
يُهَـدَّمْ وَمَنْ لا يَظْلِمْ النَّاسَ يُظْلَـمِ
وَمَنْ لَم يُكَـرِّمْ نَفْسَـهُ لَم يُكَـرَّمِ
وَإِنْ خَالَهَا تَخْفَى عَلَى النَّاسِ تُعْلَـمِ
زِيَـادَتُهُ أَو نَقْصُـهُ فِـي التَّكَلُّـمِ
فَلَمْ يَبْـقَ إَلا صُورَةُ اللَّحْمِ وَالـدَّمِ
KMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 10:10   Link #160
yakumo-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascha View Post
Been a fan since 2001.
lol! that was far long ago haha

I wonder if there's a fan of one piece here in animesuki since 1997???