AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Visual Novels, Mobage & Anime Spin-Off Games

Notices

Old 2013-01-25, 21:42   Link #1261
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Full patch is out.

I've only just finished Kotori & Chihaya route so I don't really need it right now... but this is a great news! Guess I need to speed up and finish all the routes quickly.

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 14:03   Link #1262
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

I finished the game, finally. Pretty damn fucking good.
I can't say it exactly lived up to my expectations (which were sky-high anyway given everything people say about Terra) but this is something I could definitely recommend to anyone, the bad parts of the game aside.
It has a sort of ambition that I rarely see in fiction, even if it doesn't quite pull it off. That alone makes it special.
Also, Creamy☆Kagarin spinoff when?
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 15:20   Link #1263
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Euh..guys? I've just finished Moon route and I can't understand anything that has happened concerning
Spoiler:

Will it be explained further in Terra route or should I replay it all over again? not that it would make much difference though... I think.

Old 2013-01-26, 15:28   Link #1264
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Himmel View Post
Will it be explained further in Terra route
Not really, outside of one particular friend entry that clarifies it a little. I thought it was relatively straightforward though, compared to some parts of Moon.
Old 2013-01-26, 20:16   Link #1265
Kirayuki

Ho, finally some activities again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
I can't say it exactly lived up to my expectations (which were sky-high anyway given everything people say about Terra)
Now this is one of my gripes with the game

I feel like the finale is not as powerful as Clannad/LB in term of emotional level, even though the buildup is pretty good. I always get the feeling that Key can do better on some parts (CG variety, some sprites, etc), but....orz

The soundtrack is pretty awesome though, replacing Clannad in my list.

Quote:
Also, Creamy☆Kagarin spinoff when?
Frankly, if any character gonna get the spin-off treatment it will be Akane

Quote:
Euh..guys? I've just finished Moon route and I can't understand anything that has happened concerning
Spoiler:

Will it be explained further in Terra route or should I replay it all over again?
Try replaying the Moon route then, and what parts you don't understand ?
Spoiler for Moon:
Kirayuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 21:43   Link #1266
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Quote:
Try replaying the Moon route then, and what parts you don't understand ?
Ah thanks for the confirmation then.
Spoiler:

Old 2013-01-27, 03:10   Link #1267
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirayuki View Post
I feel like the finale is not as powerful as Clannad/LB in term of emotional level, even though the buildup is pretty good.
I'd argue it's not really even trying to be, though.
Spoiler:

I can't complain too much though, as the game is above and beyond anything else this company has ever developed. Not that I'm calling Clannad bad or anything.
Quote:
The soundtrack is pretty awesome though, replacing Clannad in my list.
It's used quite poorly though, which is really tragic considering how good it is.
Quote:
As much as I like Akane, Kagari deserves it a lot more. She's criminally underutilized as a character even in what is ostensibly her own route(s).
I understand that she's not exactly popular though, perhaps because of that.
Old 2013-01-27, 03:56   Link #1268
Tenoia
Leaps and Bounds Away

Quote:
It's used quite poorly though, which is really tragic considering how good it is.
What are some of the specific instances in which its used poorly? Because, while I was going through the entire VN, the music stood out to me since it was so good and I always read the text with the music in mind. And I can't think of any specific instances in which I felt the music to be that much off from the text (though, I did feel that the music fit some places really well).
Tenoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-27, 04:05   Link #1269
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenoia View Post
What are some of the specific instances in which its used poorly?
Probably the one that stands out the most to me is Scene Shifts There, which only plays for an extended period of time in Lucia's route despite being the best theme in the entire game, but then there's the overuse of the forest music and of other themes (like what is essentially the Guardian theme, I think it's called Reaping or something like that) that should really be more special than they are due to such overuse.
Again, the music is fantastic. There just aren't enough tracks for a game this long and complicated.
Old 2013-01-27, 04:35   Link #1270
Kirayuki

Quote:
If anything, I feel that the music is one of two things that I can fanboy all over without shame(the other is Lucia) . Most of the time they choose the accompanying BGM for specific scene like what I had expected. While some of them indeed get overused, I don't think I ever get bored or sick with any of those(especially when sometimes there is a black screen without any CG orz) and most of them fit the context and mood. Your mileage may vary though.

Quote:
As much as I like Akane, Kagari deserves it a lot more. She's criminally underutilized as a character even in what is ostensibly her own route(s).
I understand that she's not exactly popular though, perhaps because of that.
Winner of character poll

But I will take Lucia anyway, more Lucia is always good

Last edited by Kirayuki; 2013-01-27 at 04:49.
Old 2013-01-27, 05:45   Link #1271
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

I think the music also has some instances where it doesn't feel that they used the right track for the right moment. I remember that there's some part in the beginning where the event seems thrilling but the music didn't change from the usual calm tone.

Quote:
Well she's got the best route for me (haven't finished Terra yet though )... but I don't think I want that if it's going to be like Tomoyo after all over again.

Old 2013-01-27, 11:36   Link #1272
Tenoia
Leaps and Bounds Away

Quote:
Probably the one that stands out the most to me is Scene Shifts There, which only plays for an extended period of time in Lucia's route despite being the best theme in the entire game, but then there's the overuse of the forest music and of other themes (like what is essentially the Guardian theme, I think it's called Reaping or something like that) that should really be more special than they are due to such overuse.
Again, the music is fantastic. There just aren't enough tracks for a game this long and complicated.
It seems like Rewrite isn't the only Key VN to have that problem, since I think Little Busters also suffers from having not enough tracks (it actually had even less soundtracks than Rewrite).

Quote:
If anything, I feel that the music is one of two things that I can fanboy all over without shame(the other is Lucia)
I agree. Rewrite had an soundtrack that stood out and was memorable. Actually, I would say that despite the instances in which the soundtrack felt out of place, the music is one of the best things about Rewrite. I really like "Philosophyz" and its alternate orchestral version "Philosophy of ours" (I would argue that this alternate version by itself greatly increased my opinion of the Moon and Terra routes because it made things so much more grandiose and awesome.) "Sunbright" is one of the many reasons why I like Lucia so much, and I think that her theme is the best out of all the heroines', even though I would argue that Lucia's theme doesn't perfectly fit her. "Fertilizer" is on par with Little Busters' "Ring Ring Ring" for how good and special the ordinary situation music can be. And the intro theme "Journey" gives off a really calm, mystical vibe that sets the tone for a lot of the VN. The music was definitely one of the highlights of Rewrite.

Speaking of Lucia, Key really knows how to make excellent sword-wielding girls with "jumbo boobs", as Kotarou puts it. Both Kurugaya and Lucia are favorite heroines in their respective VNs, and I wouldn't be surprised to see another sword wielding heroine in the next VN.
Old 2013-01-27, 11:56   Link #1273
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Quote:
Speaking of Lucia, Key really knows how to make excellent sword-wielding girls with "jumbo boobs", as Kotarou puts it. Both Kurugaya and Lucia are favorite heroines in their respective VNs, and I wouldn't be surprised to see another sword wielding heroine in the next VN.
It's also nice to see that the sword-wielding character isn't the usual kuudere-type like previous games.

Oh and I finally finished Terra route... how to say this, I got the feeling that there's something incomplete when I read it. It's not about the plot but more to the characters in that route. I feel like I couldn't project my feelings enough to each character except Kotarou to make me actually feels something to them.

..it's kinda hard to explain
Spoiler:

Old 2013-01-27, 13:47   Link #1274
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
It's also nice to see that the sword-wielding character isn't the usual kuudere-type like previous games.
Objection! All swords girls are quite different: whereas Mai was the typical Kuudere, Yuiko is your onee-san type with quite the excentric tendency to molest anything cute.
In fact, you can say that Mai, Yuiko and Lucia are basically covering your usual 3 typical profiles for sword wielding girls.
Old 2013-01-27, 14:22   Link #1275
Tenoia
Leaps and Bounds Away

Quote:
Oh and I've read a post where Terra is basically Kotarou cutting off all his previous bonds to save life. If you think about it that way, I can understand why Kagari looked at him sadly during moon route. [/spoiler]
Spoiler for /:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Objection! All swords girls are quite different: whereas Mai was the typical Kuudere, Yuiko is your onee-san type with quite the excentric tendency to molest anything cute.
In fact, you can say that Mai, Yuiko and Lucia are basically covering your usual 3 typical profiles for sword wielding girls.
So, is Lucia what we define as a textbook example of a tsundere? Now we just need some yandere...a yandere sword-wielding girl.
Old 2013-01-27, 14:45   Link #1276
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenoia View Post
It seems like Rewrite isn't the only Key VN to have that problem, since I think Little Busters also suffers from having not enough tracks (it actually had even less soundtracks than Rewrite).
I never had a problem with how LB used its music though. I have this problem with Rewrite. But mileages vary, yeah.
Quote:
Spoiler:
Yeah, I feel that pretty much all of Terra, actually, could have been expanded on a lot, although their relationship is one of the big things that needed, well, more.
Old 2013-01-27, 14:51   Link #1277
Balzac
Assistant Professor

I am probably a bit late asking this but:

How was the "journey" for you all? Did you feel satisfied? Or did you feel the "moonwalker" could've dropped off somewhere different and more to your liking?

(side note: My favorite track in all of Rewrite is Journey)
Old 2013-01-27, 20:20   Link #1278
Kirayuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Agreed. If anything Mai and Lucia are pretty much the opposite/flip-side of each other yet at their core they are "sweet and sensible girl" (gonna apologize to a certain someone here for borrowing his "words" )

Quote:
I never had a problem with how LB used its music though. I have this problem with Rewrite. But mileages vary, yeah.
One of the reason why I think the music here is better than Clannad, while they are indeed powerful they get old fast with how big the game is and how most of the same music being used again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balzac View Post
I am probably a bit late asking this but:

How was the "journey" for you all? Did you feel satisfied? Or did you feel the "moonwalker" could've dropped off somewhere different and more to your liking?

(side note: My favorite track in all of Rewrite is Journey)
The highest point of the journey is probably Lucia's route for me (I did her route last), and the conclusion of the Moon. Terra was good until it reached the finale part, I think some parts are kinda rushed during the conclusion and it probably need more than that.

As of the track "Journey" itself, I like it (I tend to leave the game running and stuck on title screen just for looping this) and I think it pretty much represent what the whole game is about . My most favorite tracks are 散花(Sanka)/Scattered Flower and Scene Shifts There, and one of the crime for Terra is how each of them only get used once (the former even being used for something not so powerful scene, compared with the one used in Lucia's route). I do have other tracks that I like, though I forgot some of their names .
Old 2013-01-27, 23:56   Link #1279
Balzac
Assistant Professor

One observation I have of the heroine themes is that, with the exception of Kotori and Kagari, all of them feature only on the common route. The game shifts straight into another genre in the heroine routes where use of the music would be inappropriate. (Though Sizuru's endng theme is linked to hers)

In fact, one can even divide the soundtrack into "common route" and "not-Common route" sides, as one would never hear, for example, Phobia in the former, or DIS IS A PAIN in the latter.

(Did anyone manage to make a mix from Yoshino's lines using Akane's machine?)
Old 2013-01-28, 00:52   Link #1280
Kirayuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balzac View Post
One observation I have of the heroine themes is that, with the exception of Kotori and Kagari, all of them feature only on the common route. The game shifts straight into another genre in the heroine routes where use of the music would be inappropriate. (Though Sizuru's endng theme is linked to hers)
Regarding this, I actually thought at one point that maybe Kotori was really the main girl planned for the game (then Kagari come into the picture and they keep the music as it is)

Tags
bishoujo, hinoue itaru, key, maeda jun, romeo tanaka, ryukishi07, visual novel