AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-04-01, 08:01   Link #12881
bietchie11
OneTrueTatsuya's apostles

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatRules View Post
Isn't "Da" already Chinese for "big, great"?

Dahan = Great Han.
My "used to be a chinese 7 generation ago" blood that flows inside me says that "dai" means "big".
Ask dreyakis or whsie or flere for confirmation.

But anyway, that's a parody nontheless. That's what matters.
Politics: Capitalism

-Silentwolfie-
Old 2014-04-01, 08:02   Link #12882
CatRules
Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vu2010 View Post
Is this the new anime Mary sue at magic high school?
we got something like this again?

AT high school, he is(sort of) after the second year.
AT anywhere else, NO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bietchie11 View Post
My "used to be a chinese 7 generation ago" blood that flows inside me says that "dai" means "big".
Ask dreyakis or whsie or flere for confirmation.

But anyway, that's a parody nontheless. That's what matters.

Spoiler for Big is Da:
Old 2014-04-01, 08:41   Link #12883
hakazee

Quote:
Isn't "Da" already Chinese for "big, great"?

Dahan = Great Han.
I also think that way.

Ah there is Dahan Institute of Technology in Taiwan anyway.
You can search from google and check if it has similar pinyin.
Old 2014-04-01, 08:42   Link #12884
Lucarion
The Hegemon-King of Chu.

Quote:

OH HELL NO!

Neither of the Shibas are Sues. They don't fit the Sue bill at all.

1) They aren't invincible, they're just incredibly powerful (and for Tatsuya's case, very difficult to kill) but this isn't really a problem because it's perfectly believable and justified in context; the perceived OPness is also completely intentional and the story and characters themselves are very self-aware of just how overwhelming powerful the Shibas are and this actually creates some of the more engaging story elements in Mahouka.

2) They aren't blackholes of attention, the universe doesn't revolve around them and everyone of the side characters are given a healthy of amount of attention. They have their own little subplots and agendas, and opinions regarding the Shiba siblings vary from character to character--not all of them are positive and not all of these negative opinions come from antagonistic characters.

3) Their flaws are real flaws and, when it comes down to it, Tatsuya and Miyuki are as screwed up as the rest of the Yotsuba clan they belong to. There's just something about the way they conduct themselves that makes them feel a little inhuman and sinister at times. They're not evil, but both subscribe to a rather realistic worldview and are aware that they've done and sometimes need to do some questionable things at times. There's also the fact that in this universe being a powerful mage is like a genuine curse.

4) Their great powers don't mean much in the big picture. There's more to solving problems than blowing things to smithereens, and Tatsuya's painfully aware of this. There are battles you can't win with pure power alone. And in the battle for his own freedom, Shiba Tatsuya is consistently defeated.

5) They're not self-inserts and they weren't made to fulfill some power-trip of the author. Tatsuya was based on Shiva, and if you read the light novels and the Shiva myths you'll see that the author did a fantastic job of reinterpreting the elements of the god's story into it. Tatsuya's really only as OP as the ancient gods were. He's basically a rationalized god character.

Now go read the novels.
Old 2014-04-01, 08:58   Link #12885
CatRules
Shipper

I just finished Morisaki's chapter.........

Hell! This guy is dammmnnnn coooooooool! He's now my most favorite male in Mahouka!
Old 2014-04-01, 09:06   Link #12886
Ultragunner

oh noooooo......why did the author choose to write about that guy, anyway? We have so many others that could carry a story of their own
Old 2014-04-01, 09:11   Link #12887
hakazee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post
oh noooooo......why did the author choose to write about that guy, anyway? We have so many others that could carry a story of their own
Why not ?

He's cool and gentleman too.

Tomitsuka and Masaki already have their own story.
Old 2014-04-01, 09:20   Link #12888
Lucarion
The Hegemon-King of Chu.

Quote:
I just finished Morisaki's chapter.........

Hell! This guy is dammmnnnn coooooooool! He's now my most favorite male in Mahouka!

No way...

Morisaki...has a fan?

This must be some sort of April Fool's joke, right?
Old 2014-04-01, 09:27   Link #12889
hakazee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucarion View Post
No way...

Morisaki...has a fan?

If you read that chapter actually he's not that bad.
Old 2014-04-01, 10:24   Link #12890
CatRules
Shipper

Quote:
No way...

Morisaki...has a fan?

It's not. I really admire him. His problem is that he push the idea that magicians have to protect others because they are born with power too far. I guess in Vol1-4 Morisaki's eyes, course two are weaklings that shouldn't stick their nose at magician's business. That's probably why he looked down on them.
Old 2014-04-01, 10:33   Link #12891
Ultragunner

well, I sure hope to see his change of attitude in the coming Nine School Competition. He did show a bit of more maturity in vol 12
Old 2014-04-01, 11:00   Link #12892
nosaer

I was really hoping that Eimi's chapter would be finished before morisaki's. I don't really care for that guy.
Old 2014-04-01, 11:13   Link #12893
Echizen777

I am rereading vol 03 and I realize I forgot certain things who could really be important later, how strong do you think is that "God" spirit Mikihiko was talking about?

Now I am really eager to see Mizuki mastering her eyes .
Old 2014-04-01, 11:17   Link #12894
TonyC1994
Unknown

Quote:
It really annoys me when people who have never read the novels uses that term to describe the main protagonist in this series. I have a feeling this is going to be a lot more frequent once the anime starts.

To answer your question; Does being both smart and powerful all it takes to make a character a Mary/Gary Stu these days?
Old 2014-04-01, 11:30   Link #12895
bietchie11
OneTrueTatsuya's apostles

Basically, Mr.D-bag is your typical shounen character who would sprout some cheesy, cliche, hyprocrite lines while he thinks by his d*ck.

If it was Tatsuya, he would analyze the obsevers' equipments and their behaviors and conclude that they are Japanese polices. He may call his intel network for more details, out of coriousity. Then he just chills out, grabs some popcorn and watches the guys doing their job while giving some humorous comments.

But Morisaki is like: "Look! A girl! Time to get some scores!" and "May the guys has legitimate reasons but f*ck that! Cute girl = justice!"

This is a really good chapter. Not only it shows some good old American action movie scene but also the silliness of a young boy who places his d*ck over his head.

P/S: but then again, kudos to Mr.D for his persistent in hitting girl.
And I feel way too much contrasting facts between this v5c2 and the first volume. Kirihara and Yotsuba, I can buy them but not this. It just feels like an unnatural and inconsistent development.
Politics: Capitalism

-Silentwolfie-

Last edited by bietchie11; 2014-04-01 at 21:55.
Old 2014-04-01, 11:35   Link #12896
Ultraviolet X

Quote:

Mary-Sue: A female fanfiction character who is so perfect as to be annoying. The male equivlalent is the Marty-Stu. Often abbreviated to "Sue". A Mary Sue character is usually written by a beginning author. Often, the Mary Sue is a self-insert with a few "improvements" (ex. better body, more popular, etc). The Mary Sue character is almost always beautiful, smart, etc... In short, she is the "perfect" girl. The Mary Sue usually falls in love with the author's favorite character(s) and winds up upstaging all of the other characters in the book/series/universe.

To clarify the definition, its basically a character who is completely unrealistic in the fictional world there written/seen in. They tend to be perfect in every way, completely flawless, or have tiny flaws that can't really be spotted. They tend to breeze through any obstacle effortlessly.

Which hardly fits Tatsuya and Miyuki. They tend to see each OTHER as flawless, others in the story and the readers can easily see faults.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bietchie11 View Post
Basically, Mr.D-bag is your typical shounen character who would sprout some cheesy, cliche, hyprocrite lines while he thinks by his d*ck.
Lmao, you really don't like him do you. Well, I actually agree with what you said for the most part, just minus all that hate.

Last edited by Ultraviolet X; 2014-04-01 at 13:26.
Old 2014-04-01, 12:11   Link #12897
Lucarion
The Hegemon-King of Chu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraviolet X View Post
Mary-Sue: A female fanfiction character who is so perfect as to be annoying. The male equivlalent is the Marty-Stu. Often abbreviated to "Sue". A Mary Sue character is usually written by a beginning author. Often, the Mary Sue is a self-insert with a few "improvements" (ex. better body, more popular, etc). The Mary Sue character is almost always beautiful, smart, etc... In short, she is the "perfect" girl. The Mary Sue usually falls in love with the author's favorite character(s) and winds up upstaging all of the other characters in the book/series/universe.

Edit: To clarify the definition.

Basically it's a character who is completely unrealistic in the fictional world there written in. They tend to be perfect in every way, completely flawless.

Which hardly fits Tatsuya and Miyuki. They tend to see each OTHER as flawless, others in the story and the readers can easily see faults.

Lmao, you really don't like him do you. Well, I actually agree with what you said for the most part, just minus all that hate.
Based on his other posts, there's a good chance the guy is just a troll. Though I agree with Tony when he said we'll probably be seeing a lot more of those kinds of guys here in the future once the anime airs.

OK, total batshit idea: I call truce. All Factions: Erika, Mayumi, Miyuki--everyone. Ceasefire. We all like the same series. We shouldn't be fighting amongst ourselves...

We should be out there...hunting down heretics through whatever means at our disposal. Together.
Old 2014-04-01, 12:32   Link #12898
Ultraviolet X

Quote:
Based on his other posts, there's a good chance the guy is just a troll. Though I agree with Tony when he said we'll probably be seeing a lot more of those kinds of guys here in the future once the anime airs.
ahhh, I agree here. I just wanted to post a definition so that once that question inevitably pops up again once the anime starts I can quote my own post to answer, saves time.

Quote:
OK, total batshit idea: I call truce. All Factions: Erika, Mayumi, Miyuki--everyone. Ceasefire. We all like the same series. We shouldn't be fighting amongst ourselves...

We should be out there...hunting down heretics through whatever means at our disposal. Together.
We will be doing that once the anime starts. I have a feeling MRnR will receive alot of haters. The anime thread will get........hectic.
Old 2014-04-01, 12:57   Link #12899
TonyC1994
Unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraviolet X View Post
ahhh, I agree here. I just wanted to post a definition so that once that question inevitably pops up again once the anime starts I can quote my own post to answer, saves time.

We will be doing that once the anime starts. I have a feeling MRnR will receive alot of haters. The anime thread will get........hectic.
Agreed, I almost feel like we should start preparing ourselves, or at least agree to deal with such people.... calmly.

This is always the case with adapting a popular series. You garner more attention towards the series, but also attract a lot of people that will hate the series just for the sake of hating it.
Old 2014-04-01, 12:59   Link #12900
TonyC1994
Unknown

Quote:

I will stand with you my fellow comrade!!!
Closed Thread

Tags
action, fantasy, harem, incest, mahouka, rettousei, school life, shounen, siblings