post deleted

Last edited by Azulet; 2006-12-16 at 01:14. Reason: delete posts
Azulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-04, 18:17   Link #2
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azulet
Wow I searched for ipod in the forum, seems everyone has such anti-ipod sentiments. I started this thread hoping to hear from people who actually have an ipod and enjoy it. I already heard from people who hate it, so no need to post flames here.
I got an ipod (20G) for Christmas so I'm still in the process of uploading stuff onto it. I think the click-wheel is very nice. and using playlists and category sort is pretty fast too.
I don't really like the ipod headphones so I just use my old headphones from my discman. It was fun browsing through iMix in iTunes store but I didn't really find anything I liked. The celebrity playlists were interesting. Especially Snoop Dogg...his list was pretty tame. I want to see Eminem's playlist! =)
Also, a question for ipod users, what kind of case/protective stuff do you have? They all seemed pretty pricey. The HP tatoo looks cool but I'm not that creative. I'm thinking of just making my own case out of cloth maybe...haha.
Share your comments and suggestions here. Thanks.
I have a 3rd generation 20GB iPod (the one with four buttons above the touch wheel) and I love it. It's been great for the last year I've owned it. I've got 3,300 or so songs on there (I rip at 192kbit AAC so I can't fit 5,000) and it's perfect for long car rides, walking to class, working in labs—basically any activity where portable music would be good.

I actually don't use a case at all, most of them are too pricey or lame looking to me. If Apple had offered them when I first got my iPod, I would've gotten their set of iPod Socks, which are basically just form-fitting knit bags (socks!) for your iPod in a bunch of different colors. I always keep my iPod in my pocket or a bag, so having a scratch-guard like that would be much better than some thick "protective" case. As it is the back is pretty scratched, but I'm over it. So making your own case out of cloth would probably be a great idea if you can.

But yeah, I love my iPod. It's sweet.
killmoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-04, 18:24   Link #3
Thelastguardian

I don't mind iPod except for its price.

Another pointer is that you can install linux on it

I don't have an iPod; I use the poor man's ipod: Creative Zen Xtra :)
Old 2005-01-04, 19:14   Link #4
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

Don't have one ... because of the price.

But 2 friends have a second gen 20 gigs ... and no complaints so far. Very stylish. It's always a pleasure borrowing it for a bit.
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-04, 20:14   Link #5
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelastguardian
I don't mind iPod except for its price.

Another pointer is that you can install linux on it

I don't have an iPod; I use the poor man's ipod: Creative Zen Xtra

You can install Linux on just about anything. I bet you could install it on an electric toothbrush.
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-04, 20:32   Link #6
RichMan
????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roots
You can install Linux on just about anything. I bet you could install it on an electric toothbrush.
I was going to say that when I read his post. lol, it's so true.

bah, I don't need an Ipod. I love my Rio Nitrus.
RichMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-04, 20:36   Link #7
sOnJoOL

Send a message via AIM to sOnJoOL Send a message via MSN to sOnJoOL
have you guys heard of MP4?
its pretty tight.
you can listen to mp3's, and FM radio.
and the best part is,
YOU CAN WATCH VIDEO!
yes thats right, you can watch the lastest Naruto episode on a 3.5 inch wide screen.
it can play many kinds of forms,
avi, mpeg, asx, ogm (probably as much as your computer can)
the 40gb one is 600 dollars, but at ebay, you can find it cheaper.
i want my mp4 now.
sOnJoOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-04, 20:42   Link #8
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
My 20GB 3G iPod is simply indispensible. I got it November of 2003 at the LAOX Apple-kan in Akihabara (woot) and since then take it everywhere (if I don't forget to charge it!)

I will say that the main thing that drew me to it was the effortless support of Japanese, which is essential for me since several thousand of my 4k songs have Japanese ID3 tags (and I wasn't going to convert them to romaji for another mp3 player.)

Hell because of my iPod I recently ditched Winamp and moved to Foobar2000, because Winamp being the old beast underneath that it is doesn't support Unicode. This was causing conflicts between it and iTunes, which while it can read Shift-JIS doesn't always convert them properly giving me fits. That and ephpod doesn't like Shift-JIS either (which is a good utility if all you want is a syncing application and not a full media player that is iTunes.)
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-04, 20:43   Link #9
Entropy
Flame warrior

There's an Mpeg-1,layer 4 now? I didn't know that

ono wait you meant Mpeg-4
Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-04, 20:44   Link #10
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roots
I want a linux toothbrush...

Anyway, I don't see why someone would need 20+ gigs to listen to mp3s. I have a 1 gig sandisk mp3 player, and while it can't hold the contents of all my cds, it does hold everything I actually listen to. I have 280 songs on it, and I could probably put another 15-20 before filling it. Even if it didn't hold all the songs I want, it's not like it's that hard to change the songs on it.
Old 2005-01-04, 21:06   Link #11
Thelastguardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy
There's an Mpeg-1,layer 4 now? I didn't know that

ono wait you meant Mpeg-4
nonono I think he means Mp3 + 1 = MP4

or what he meant is iPod photo.
Old 2005-01-04, 22:50   Link #12
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by microlith
(if I don't forget to charge it!)
Thank you, that reminded me. *goes to take iPod out of my jacket and plugs it in*

The HP tatoo is pretty cool, geeky, but cool. But I guess something like a tenmaPod is something an anime otaku with an iPod can't go without?
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-05, 00:46   Link #13
sOnJoOL

Send a message via AIM to sOnJoOL Send a message via MSN to sOnJoOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelastguardian
nonono I think he means Mp3 + 1 = MP4

or what he meant is iPod photo.

thats wat i meant.
this is the link for bestbuy
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....9&type=product
looks pretty tight.
pocketsized anime viewer, watch video, listen to music, view photos ANYWHERE~!
sOnJoOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-05, 01:00   Link #14
sharingan yuusaku
Yuusaku of the Sharingan!

I have an iPod mini and I love it It is tough too, I have dropped it many times ( im a klutz) and even dropped it onto some rocks. Besides a few scratches, it works as good as new
sharingan yuusaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-05, 01:01   Link #15
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azulet
Wow I searched for ipod in the forum, seems everyone has such anti-ipod sentiments. I started this thread hoping to hear from people who actually have an ipod and enjoy it. I already heard from people who hate it, so no need to post flames here.
I got an ipod (20G) for Christmas so I'm still in the process of uploading stuff onto it. I think the click-wheel is very nice. and using playlists and category sort is pretty fast too.
I don't really like the ipod headphones so I just use my old headphones from my discman. It was fun browsing through iMix in iTunes store but I didn't really find anything I liked. The celebrity playlists were interesting. Especially Snoop Dogg...his list was pretty tame. I want to see Eminem's playlist! =)
Also, a question for ipod users, what kind of case/protective stuff do you have? They all seemed pretty pricey. The HP tatoo looks cool but I'm not that creative. I'm thinking of just making my own case out of cloth maybe...haha.
Share your comments and suggestions here. Thanks.
hmm~ i have recently also acquired an ipod as a birthday gift (november),

other than what is clearly my fault (my motherboard lacked USB2.0/firewire), and my songs lack Artist/Album Information, The ipod is fine.

However, i feel that i already am recluse enough without the additional stimulus of the ipod, so i generally leave it at home.

not that i hate it, i primarily feel ambivalent towards it.

I love it, because it looks the best, it is the most stylish (in my opinion), plays with sufficient audio quality and volume.

However, i dislike the burden of responsibility for it. I have to clean it (and its scratches) make sure it doesnt get wet (its been raining in LA), and Make sure it doesnt get stolen.

Case: wtf is the point of an ipod if nobody sees it? might as well get a creative zen or an archos.

or: clear and plastic works

PS: engrave your ipod somehow. then it is undisputably yours.
hobobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-12, 20:16   Link #16
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Though I'd revive this thread. Found this story interesting:

Apple's iTunes raises privacy concerns
Quote:
A new version of Apple Computer's popular iTunes software, released Tuesday, is drawing barbs from privacy advocates for sending information about computer users' playlists back to Apple.

The new music software includes a "MiniStore" window, which provides recommended links to Apple's music download service when a listener actively clicks on a song in their personal playlist, including songs that haven't been purchased from the iTunes store.

To provide those recommendations, the software sends information about the selected song, such as artist, title and genre, back to Apple. But the software also transmits a string of data that is linked to a computer user's unique iTunes account ID, computer experts have found.

(read...)
Catgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-12, 22:19   Link #17
Renyulb28
Helpful Bystander

I have a 60 gb ipod video. While it is pretty unnecessary to have a 60 gb mp3 player, it does hold a lot of converted anime fansubs, which is good for road trips with a car power adapter also it serves well as a secondary hard drive. Plus the video out function and the abilities to read text documents makes it more versatile. Only draw back is that I got the black one and small hairline scratches become extremely visible on it.... also the battery life is pretty poor while watching a movie.
Renyulb28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-12, 22:55   Link #18
SlugZilla
woofles

I was looking at the Creative Zen Vision:M it looked like the same thing as the Ipod Video, except it does native divx and xvid playback. I was trying to find one in person but they don't sell them anywhere yet.
SlugZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-13, 05:10   Link #19
real folk blues..

<3 my ipod..for one thing, it hasn't let me down..but..most of all, great way to please the chicks! good compliment for my laptop..hehe..
i don't understand why people don't like the ipod though, can someone explain? oh and if you can, spare the technical jargon.
1.0.7. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-13, 09:28   Link #20
1337_493n7

I got an iPod shuffle for christmas. I love it! It also doubles as a thumb drive for school, so it's a multitasker! As for a carrying case, I don't have one. My boyfriend has a carrypod he boughgt from j-list.com, and it's great! I think it was about 10-20$ bust i can't remember for sure.
1337_493n7 is offline   Reply With Quote