AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-05-04, 17:29   Link #61
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
I'm going to put it off to LH is where comedic romance was in 2000 and Mahoraba and H&C showed us the sophistication jump in 2005 (though I still think Mahoraba is genetically closer to Maisson Ikkoku than LH).
Well, again, I'm not trying to defend Love Hina (especially the anime), but Love Hina and Mahoroba are completely different. I was just somewhat torqued by the blanket statement that someone has to get off on torturing kittens in order to enjoy Love Hina. Love Hina is no more or less slapstick than Bugs Bunny or Three's Company. Realistic? No, not especially, but the notion that it's cruel is just somewhat silly. Driving whales up onto beaches is cruel, frying ants with a magnifying glass is cruel, laughing at slapstick just isn't.
Old 2006-05-04, 17:58   Link #62
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

heh... you may not remember the Great Censoring of shows like the Three Stooges in the early 70s (omigod.. kids might take a wrench and DO THAT! ptui) when that type of comedy was considered cruel by the Korrect-nazis.

aye, I agree they're not the same. In simple terms, I don't recall much in Mahoraba at all that wasn't physically possible (if exaggerated a bit) whereas much of LH was pure physics fantasy (ala 3 stooges).
aye, just because its an Inn with odd residents and a guy and some girls doesn't make it LH
Old 2006-05-04, 18:42   Link #63
rooboy
Umeboshi!

I don't really remember it, but my mother has told me about it, but that was just as wrong.
I guess the whole thrust of my point was more like "Hey, if you're crusing this forum, we really don't think you're an idiot because you like Love Hina. Hell, I still find the manga laugh out loud funny and I've never performed an act of cruelty on another living creature." Unless you count the times I've let my sim's husband get in the pool and then sold the ladder to get out again, waiting for him to drown so she can inherit the money.
Though I still think the reason Love Hina gets compared to Mahoroba is because they're both sort of like stepchildren of Maisson Ikkoku. Which is weird to me because I've never found Maisson Ikkoku that funny, but Mahoroba and Love Hina (the manga) both crack me up.
Old 2006-05-04, 19:09   Link #64
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666
Though I still think the reason Love Hina gets compared to Mahoroba is because they're both sort of like stepchildren of Maisson Ikkoku. Which is weird to me because I've never found Maisson Ikkoku that funny, but Mahoroba and Love Hina (the manga) both crack me up.
I'm not so sure about that. I doubt most anime fans today have even seen maison ikkoku. The comparisons seem to be based more on both taking place in apartments, and both having a large female cast, quite superficial elements. However, the people who keep watching Mahoraba seem to stop as the series plays out very differently.
Old 2006-05-04, 19:52   Link #65
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
I'm not so sure about that. I doubt most anime fans today have even seen maison ikkoku. The comparisons seem to be based more on both taking place in apartments, and both having a large female cast, quite superficial elements. However, the people who keep watching Mahoraba seem to stop as the series plays out very differently.
Yeah, I'm sorry. I should have spelled out my whole argument (Cub scouts was starting so I had to leave).
I meant that Maison Ikkoku was a romance based in an apartment complex. This influences a ton of romantic comedies to be based in similar situations (hot springs, apartments, whatever. Ai Yori Aoshi would be another one.). Love Hina becomes very popular (particularly in the US), ergo people think Mahoraba is similar to Love Hina (because it's the first series of it's type they have seen); however, actually, both Love Hina and Mahoraba are similar to MI.
I definitely did not mean to imply that viewers were thinking both were similar to Maison Ikkoku. I would agree that I think most people haven't seen it. People who have generally wouldn't compare Mahoraba to LH, but both to MI.

Which is also not to say anything about MI itself (I'm not trying to imply that it's better than both or anything). Personally I'm not that fond of MI, but I've never seen all of it either.

And I would definitely agree that the similarities between all three are very superficial, but that's true of most similarities people use in comparisons. Perfect analogies generally don't exist.

There's really only two purposes to making the comparison though (that I can think of). One, ZOMG, this is just a total ripoff of Love Hina. No, in the sense that its a ripoff of anything, it's Maisson Ikkoku (and Love Hina's ripping it off as well). Two, if I liked Love Hina, would I like Mahoroba? To which I answer with a definite maybe. I liked both, but obviously lots of people only like one or the other. It is definitely not the same kind of show though.
Old 2006-05-04, 20:44   Link #66
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

aye.. I refer to Maisson Ikkoku because of its historical place ... but I never enjoyed the series either. I thought the other residents in the inn were pretty unlikeable no matter how far I got into the story and the "he's a pervert" thing was pretty primitive to me at the time. It almost had a 30s american comic kind of "thats not really funny" feel. A lot of people love the series so I'm trying not to knock it --- just wasn't my cup of tea. LH I love because of specific threads and characters in the series... Mahoraba I have almost no complaints about.

Some people are too quick to label .... "o thats a western (gunsmoke, rawhide, Silverado, John Wayne, Clint Eastwood)" or "thats sci-fi (Star Trek, Farscape, Twilight Zone)" and label poorly. So when people toss the word "harem" around or whatever, they're in danger of being discounted (so I try to remember not to over-label ).
Old 2006-05-04, 21:33   Link #67
rooboy
Umeboshi!

I have no problem with using labels, but I always try to define what I mean by the label. Similarly whenever I rate something, I always try to describe what that means I'm rating it on.

Random Kozue-chan to keep it on topic.

Old 2006-05-04, 22:02   Link #68
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
aye.. I refer to Maisson Ikkoku because of its historical place ... but I never enjoyed the series either. I thought the other residents in the inn were pretty unlikeable no matter how far I got into the story and the "he's a pervert" thing was pretty primitive to me at the time.
Hmm, I actually enjoyed the MI manga, though it was one of the first I'd read, so I can't say I would if I first encountered it today. I seem to remember characters were quite shallow, even when compared to characters in more recent, generic series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooboy666
I definitely did not mean to imply that viewers were thinking both were similar to Maison Ikkoku. I would agree that I think most people haven't seen it.
Sorry, I misunderstood that. I'd agree MI has an large influence on both series, though with Mahoraba, I feel it's much more direct. LH seems to have been filtered though Amatsuki Ken's eariler work Ai Ga Tomaranai!(aka AI love you) and Tenchi Muyo, at least in terms of character relations and personalities.
Old 2006-05-08, 11:08   Link #69
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Now, I know I am not familiar with the discussion at hand, but I just wanted to say something.

Nothing is a ripoff. Each of the 3 series ended differently. And the only connection I see with those 3 is the usage of an apartment. Hey, there are alot of apartments in Japan. In fact, I live in an apartment. I also have a house to stay in, but I choose not to live there because of location (although it's just a couple of kilometers away ). Now I know how apartment life is, your definately bound to run into a neighbor everyday thats for sure. Now don't let me get started on what drives each of these 3 series.

As a fellow creator, I believe each of the creators of said 3 sries definitely didn't want to rip each other off. Take it from me, Mahoraba's greatest fan.

Now, what was it, about a month since you all last heard from me, eh? Well, today was somewhat of a special day for me, and I wanted to see everyone here again. Ok, no more jail jokes guys
Now, I know I haven't been posting lately, but I'll give you a obvious hint where to find me: I'm watching any anime that has cute girls of this current season.

I'm still in Germany, so I'll fire up my blog for some really wild stuff that happened here. Glad to be back again

(and wow, didn't think some people were still mesmerized by my avatar of Kozue-chan washing the tub.... )
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-08, 12:04   Link #70
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I don't think anyone meant "rip off" ... which equals plagiarism/theft. Its more of an "homage" or salute to a style or setting that worked. I can certainly see someone saying "I liked XYZ Inn but I don't feel like it worked in some ways, I'm going to write a story that uses elements but changes them in ways that suit my idea better. An inn is just a marvelous place to have people who wouldn't otherwise interact come together. Honey&Clover was novel to us for its college setting, but essentially a college is a glorified inn

Otherwise, you might as well say any science fiction is a "ripoff" of Jules Verne and he ripped off his ancestors. Shakespeare certainly borrowed from his earlier plays and I can think of a couple that were obvious reworks of his own earlier stuff that he may not have been happy with.

People in the 20/21 C. have gotten deluded by large corporation entities about the difference between "standing on the shoulders of giants" and "intellectual property theft" (which has no legal meaning but they'd certainly like it to).
If you can't build on the ideas of the past, you've completely screwed the future because all ideas can be traced to previous ones. Even Einstein's "radical" ideas are clearly derived from existing concepts of his time if you follow the numbers.
Old 2006-05-08, 15:40   Link #71
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
I don't think anyone meant "rip off" ... which equals plagiarism/theft. Its more of an "homage" or salute to a style or setting that worked. I can certainly see someone saying "I liked XYZ Inn but I don't feel like it worked in some ways, I'm going to write a story that uses elements but changes them in ways that suit my idea better. An inn is just a marvelous place to have people who wouldn't otherwise interact come together. Honey&Clover was novel to us for its college setting, but essentially a college is a glorified inn
I'd like to add (since I'm usually the flipside of these "discussions") that I definitely didn't mean rip off either. It's a setting that works very well for it's intended purpose, which is why it's used so much. I'd also like to add that they're obviously not intended to be ripping each other off, as the three series do not contain similar themes, ideas or characters, just a setting.

I think Vexx is probably right, the creators looked at one of them and said, "Y'know, I think this would be really neat if instead of having character xx and theme yy, I used character zz to complement theme vv."
Old 2006-05-15, 04:39   Link #72
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

And here I am Bwahahahaha

I have just one gripe. I hate it when they force me to buy the manga (obviously, I'm not into manga, so I'll never buy it, but I still hate it when they do that) to see THE ending.

Oh well, other than that, I'm seriously consider putting it up in my top 5.
Old 2006-05-15, 11:36   Link #73
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

We're still trying to figure out why neither the manga nor anime have been licensed yet (especially compared with other comedic romance series that have been). People with *widely* varying tastes in anime seem to like the show.

I'm hoping that once the manga closes out they may consider a second season but I'm not terribly hopeful since it didn't seem to generate the extent of "merchandise" that other shows have. Either that or R1 consumers don't *show* they want something with more quality than boobage by actually buying such....
Old 2006-05-15, 11:43   Link #74
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Well, if I were to buy something, it would certainly be Mahoraba over any boob overkill I mean, I'd buy that over KimiNozo any time (didn't like KGNE much, it's a triangle with a typical harem lead at its center who decides something against my better judgment - don't they all? . Only redeeming factor was Haruka and good animation, other than that, I'd have watched something else). And it can be marketed as comedy easily enough. Oh well, hope the manga ends and they make a second season.
Old 2006-05-20, 04:36   Link #75
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal
I have just one gripe. I hate it when they force me to buy the manga (obviously, I'm not into manga, so I'll never buy it, but I still hate it when they do that) to see THE ending.

Oh well, other than that, I'm seriously consider putting it up in my top 5.
But that's marketing you have to buy some part of something that you like like me, I like anime figures. I have to buy them! LOL

Basically, my marketing strategy would be: "I make something good. If they like, they buy"

And same about licensing. It's a marketing strategy, in this case licensing it would take a great deal of losses money-wise, unless if your like me with that who-cares-about-money type of attitude. Simply, there are only a handful of Mahoraba fans. And I'll say, this handful of us is the good, sensible kind but licensing it would mean it would cater to the few, the proud of us....

It's the same kind of mentality I developed when I figured Kokoro's Library wasn't even close to licensing....that also gave me the idea that licensing it myself wouldn't be a bad idea...I've contacted my local asian TV station regarding this, and they told me I'll need to buy airtime. Of course, I'll also have to own the broadcast rights as well....

But hey, if we're going to try to get Mahoraba licensed....we'll have to do my Kozue-chan brainwashing on a larger scale My first target location would have to be Anime Expo

But hey, I intend to license this series myself. I admitted so during Mahoraba's airing, and my plan suggests that I fund a smaller company like CPM, I for one don't want ADV lol....and so, with that word, back to work lol...
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-20, 11:05   Link #76
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

My attitude towards ADV has not improved with my recent attempts to find out "whats the deal with Yotsuba?"... If it weren't for Azumanga, most of their other titles are not at all interesting to me.
Old 2006-06-15, 01:35   Link #77
tritoch

Okay I'm going to be an inconsiderate idiot but do you guys know that episode where Momono Megumi said "I belong to him and he belongs to me". (referring to his long distance bf) It was a flashback scene and they were on these school tables. Its not the episode 11 Momono/Shiratori episode.
tritoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-15, 02:03   Link #78
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Damn.. now I'm going to have to rewatch the series to figure out where she said that. .... evil ....

Seriously, I don't even remember that line but it perhaps it was later on.... I only remember one episode where the "schoolroom flashback" occurred.... and that is one hypnotic catlick there....
Old 2006-06-15, 03:05   Link #79
tritoch

On the topic atm.

I don't like both ADV and CPM for some reason. Funimation is so-so and Geneon is a little high on the scale. Bandai does it good (go figure they're a huge company). Right Stuf does great with the translation but the video compression gave me the headaches, the screen was shaky (although I can argue that I may have a bad disc)

So I'd give the torch to Geneon given the quality of the stuff they produce (imho) and since Bandai don't import anything outside Sunrise.

Also, I sincerely don't like the ugly typesetting. Couldn't they do it like how fansubs do it?

Vexx, im sure of that line "i belong to him." Oh crap what episode was that?
tritoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-15, 09:42   Link #80
Furudanuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritoch
Okay I'm going to be an inconsiderate idiot but do you guys know that episode where Momono Megumi said "I belong to him and he belongs to me". (referring to his long distance bf) It was a flashback scene and they were on these school tables. Its not the episode 11 Momono/Shiratori episode.
Maybe it is used in more than one episode, but the scene you are describing IS in episode #11 beginning at about time mark 21:21. This happens after Momono and Shiratori return home from their date and Kozue gives Momono the letter from her boyfriend. Momono holds the letter to her chest and thinks "Why do you make me feel this way?" Then there is a flashback to the two sitting on the school tables and she says "I guess I really do belong to you."
Furudanuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, romance, shounen